CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me a lot of that story of the family of all boys who were "kept" like this their whole lives and memorized all those movies....I think it was in NYC?

Yes, they do remind me of that family too. If I recall, that father was also educated and had a professional-level job? They were really, really into movies.

jmo

They showed an aerial view of their home. Yes, three VW in driveway with the van. Also for 13 kids - very small backyard.... probably never got to go out there and play anyway....

:gaah:

:maddening:

I've witnessed abusive parents who never take their kids to a doctor or dentist. Backward, yes, but it's partly caused
by backwoods lifestyle. And this family is similar in that they somehow found money to spend on things for the parents, ie cars, weddings, trips, etc. Bet the parents were never hungry or starved.

One of the articles stated the kids when found claimed they were all starving so the rescuers gave them all food and beverages immediately. Now if they'd just starve the parents in jail or just give them porridge to let them know how it feels.

More like $1620 plus. That's the cheap prices ($104 x 6, $110 x 9). But less on food - none for the kids, remember.... :(

It reminds me of some mothers (and fathers) who neglect their kids but then "make up" for it in one shot with a big-bang extravaganza....one that the children probably didn't even like that much. But the extravaganza takes such effort for the parent, s/he/they quickly return to the neglect in emotional exhaustion. And the cycle repeats.

They can't handle the day-to-day effort of feeding, nurturing, cleaning, paying the bills...but manage in a manic to do big (meaningless) events.

Total armchair observation. jmo

BBM

It sounds like he married someone young with no education and kept her pregnant all these years. He wanted a baby machine. I wonder how they met.

Pearisburg, Va is a tiny (current population is less than 3,000) and relatively isolated mountain town near the VA/WV border. Kind of an everyone knows everyone sort of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this news here in the UK before going to be last night, and I couldn't sleep afterwards.
What a horrific vile pair of human beings. What angers me most is that these people get away with it. How can that be possible in this day and age? Neighbours thought something was off... yes something was off! Why do people ignore alarm bells?
And where were the authorities, health, social, whoever, you can't tell me that these kids were not on someone's radar... there must have been doctor visits, visits to the 'home school' etc... I'm assuming the older girls from the pics are adults, in their 20s, LOOK AT THEM...they look about 10 years old, if this isn't enough to alarm people then what will it take!
And those videos...UGH those poor kids, it's beyond creepy.

Whose radar are you expecting them to be on? A lot of neighbors said they didn't even know they had children and I doubt that doctor visits were at the top of the lists of parental duties considering they couldn't even feed their children properly. I don't think anyone ignored alarm bells, not in the sense that they saw any harm being done to these children but ignored it anyway. I think the neighbors just thought they were odd, but you can't call LE and say hi my neighbors give me an odd feeling... I think most people think at least one of their neighbors is odd. (I do)

But you cannot know what is going on behind closed doors. As far as we know, right now, there are two people to blame here. Unless we start to find out that the neighbors were in and out of that house watching those children suffer, this is not their fault.

I wonder if her parents would have had to consent in Virginia in 1985.

The news release said the oldest child rescued is 29. Let’s guess she hasn’t had her birthday so far in 2018, which would mean she was born in 1988. Doesn’t seem like a shotgun wedding unless that child disappeared, too.

And I’m way behind the other sleuthers!

In VA even now if she was 16 and pregnant she could appeal a judge to marry without parental consent.

ETA I think they may have had older kid/s who got out. JMO

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, face charges of torture and child endangerment. Bail was set at $9 million for each.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/01/15/perris-family-captive-rescue/

I am satisfied with that bond amount.

Those charges have me worried. From reading the law, and what has been reported, I don't see how the torture charges will hold up in court. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see how they can successfully prosecute that. That leaves just the child endangerment charges. Those charges seem like a no brainer. But if I'm correct, a child endangerment conviction could get them as little as a couple of years in prison. Maybe there will be other charges coming.

I really wonder what suddenly made that daughter escape and contact the authorities. It seems these poor children have been so contained in an enclosed environment all their lives.
Why did none of them do this before now? What finally made one of them break for freedom? Thank goodness she did.

This reminds me of the Stockdale family murders that happened near my home last year. A mother and father with 3 boys and with the eldest boy managed to move out a few years prior.

The mother was extremely controlling and ran the house, homeschooled all the boys, never allowing them to have friends, or go out socially, talk to girls, listen to the radio, etc. They were taught that the outside world was bad. She kept them to a very strict schedule at home and told them what they would eat, when they could sleep, chores.
Ultra conservative Christians they lived on a large farm and mostly raised chickens and lived off the land. Father worked as a milk truck driver delivering from local farms to the dairy.
They had a popular Christian family band and they played every weekend at different churches and festivals. The 16 year old was the Ohio State fiddle champion.

The family even appeared at one time on the TV show, Trading Spaces but they themselves didn’t have television, however the mother did have an active Facebook page and access to the internet.

One morning last year after the father left for work, the 16 year old shot and killed his mother and then his older brother (with his own rifle), and then turned the gun on himself. The mother and brother both died and the 16 year old barely survived. He’s was flown to the Cleveland Clinic in critical condition and is now in a long term nursing facility in NE Ohio with serious brain injuries. As of today, no charges have been filed.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170...ly-will-be-charged-in-death-of-mother-brother

From ancestry.com

Name: David Allen Turpin
Race: White
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1961
Marriage Registration Place: Giles, Virginia, USA
Marriage Date: 11 Feb 1985 (Religious Ceremony by Lee Ellison, Minister)
Marriage Place: Pearisburg, Virginia, USA
Father: James Randolph Turpin
Mother: Betty Jean Rose
Spouse: Louise Ann Robinette (Age 16)
Father: Allen Wayne Robinette
Mother: Phyllis Ann Taylor

David had four years of college and Louise had a 10th grade education.
First marriage for both.

THANKS! This is a goldmine for sleuthing! I'm just speechless.....this is soooo sickening! JMO

Almost all of the “likes” on their joint Facebook page are all things Disney.

They both appear to be from families who share insular, fringe views. Part of a cultlike sub-culture?

Please would you link their FB page for me?

I really wonder what suddenly made that daughter escape and contact the authorities. It seems these poor children have been so contained in an enclosed environment all their lives.
Why did none of them do this before now? What finally made one of them break for freedom? Thank goodness she did.

My guess is that life wasn't so bad in the past. I think the problems started within the past few years. The older kids, including the 17yo, might remember a more normal time. She might also have finally realized that the older sibs weren't doing anything to save them, so it was up to her?? But....who knows how it happened. Maybe some of the kids planned together what to do?

I admire her - that took guts and lots of love for her siblings, imo. I really hope the best for all of them.

jmo

My guess is that we will learn that there was a lot of physical abuse going on, besides chaining the children to beds
with padlocks. In order to keep these kids in check and not escaping for all these years I believe they were regularly beaten to keep them in line. MOO. They knew if they escaped the vile home they would be badly beaten when they
returned. the kids were so indoctrinated they believed they had no one to turn to. Home schooling also becomes
a form of control and privacy. even though they lived in a suburban housing development in actuality, they lived off the grid of any social services.

Maybe that was the only chance she got.

Whose radar are you expecting them to be on? A lot of neighbors said they didn't even know they had children and I doubt that doctor visits were at the top of the lists of parental duties considering they couldn't even feed their children properly. I don't think anyone ignored alarm bells, not in the sense that they saw any harm being done to these children but ignored it anyway. I think the neighbors just thought they were odd, but you can't call LE and say hi my neighbors give me an odd feeling... I think most people think at least one of their neighbors is odd. (I do)

But you cannot know what is going on behind closed doors. As far as we know, right now, there are two people to blame here. Unless we start to find out that the neighbors were in and out of that house watching those children suffer, this is not their fault.

You've misunderstood me, I'm not saying it's anyone's fault other than the parents. But, some level of responsibility lies within a community to protect it's community, and this comes from those higher up to say look out for your neighbours, if you see something not right report it to your local authority, a doctor, a teacher, anyone who might take it upon themselves to follow it up. I understand this is easier said than done, and if everyone reported something 'not right' then yes, it would take a huge amount of resources to follow up. I don't know the answers, but for this to happen to 13 children in one home there has to be questions surrounding the level of care from outside.

So they had house and a trailer? Wonder if they left the kids in the house to fend for themselves...older in charge of younger...and they stayed in trailer with the baby, youngest. Seems like with the redo wedding and then all the pics of just them and the baby, seems like they were trying to go back and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth