CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, me too. If I was able to identify the 12-year-old correctly on the pictures, she always looks happy, like, genuenily happy. I know all of them are smiling on the pictures but she's the only one that does look like she's actually enjoying the moment. I wonder if the "care and attention" means that she was specially damaged physically and psychologically or if it just means that she has no notion of personal hygiene and the basic ability to do simple stuff that 12-year-olds are able to do, like getting ready for bed, getting cleaned up once she wakes up, table manners and so on, or if it means her education level is unexistent, which wouldn't really surprise me, since the 17-year-old was a first grade level at the time of the rescue. The thing is, she doesn't look mentally empaired to me on those pictures and some of the kids do look like they have some issues (I'm not trying to offend anyone or being insentive though). All I'm saying is that I'm curious what does her special need of care and attention translates to.

That is what I noticed too, she looks alert and fine actually. Though way too small for her age, but they all are!

I know, me too. If I was able to identify the 12-year-old correctly on the pictures, she always looks happy, like, genuenily happy. I know all of them are smiling on the pictures but she's the only one that does look like she's actually enjoying the moment. I wonder if the "care and attention" means that she was specially damaged physically and psychologically or if it just means that she has no notion of personal hygiene and the basic ability to do simple stuff that 12-year-olds are able to do, like getting ready for bed, getting cleaned up once she wakes up, table manners and so on, or if it means her education level is unexistent, which wouldn't really surprise me, since the 17-year-old was a first grade level at the time of the rescue. The thing is, she doesn't look mentally empaired to me on those pictures and some of the kids do look like they have some issues (I'm not trying to offend anyone or being insentive though). All I'm saying is that I'm curious what does her special need of care and attention translates to.

I assume you mean sibling #12, who was 11 at the time of the rescue. I agree, she does always look like she is having a good time in the videos and pictures. I do wish they would have kept her and sibling #11 together, but hopefully they are in constant contact. They've not really said why her needs were apparently a little greater than the others, but one can only imagine that she has no education at all and knows so little. But the same can probably be said for all of the underage kids.

There are many impairments that have a "look" and many, many that don't. This simply can't be determined by photographs and videos.

I believe all the reports. It is obvious they were seriously abused. Just a few thoughts, hope people don´t mind!

Thanks for your answer.

Reports say that no one knew what a toothbrush was or how to brush their teeth. Based on that I wonder whether they even had shampoo in the house. Just to comment about the hair washing thing, although my hair and most everyone who uses shampoo would get greasy and oily after a day, if you look on the internet, you can find where some people say that if you stop washing your hair, it eventually stops producing the oil. There are some people who are on various youtubes and TV shows that say that after a few weeks, all of that grease and oil on the scalp stops. It is possible that none of the kids in the family have ever had their hair washed with shampoo whatsoever and when they were allowed to shower, maybe it was with water only. If the kids were not allowed to bathe and wash their hair, based on what I've seen on the internet about people who for whatever reason stop washing their hair, after a few months or so, the hair doesn't look greasy. Some reports say though that the hair smells very bad like some sort of sour milk smell.

I assume you mean sibling #12, who was 11 at the time of the rescue. I agree, she does always look like she is having a good time in the videos and pictures. I do wish they would have kept her and sibling #11 together, but hopefully they are in constant contact. They've not really said why her needs were apparently a little greater than the others, but one can only imagine that she has no education at all and knows so little. But the same can probably be said for all of the underage kids.

Yes, I was talking about sibling #12. It looks like #11 and #12 were pretty close, they are the ones who are hugging or holding hands when most of the siblings don't touch anyone in the pictures. It is weird to me how they were separated because, they are very close in age so, how much different can their needs be? Would it be possible to be such a huge discrepancy between #11 and #12 as far as the need for "care and attention" goes?

I had similar observations. I would not be surprised if Julis needs special attention. It seems Louise had an obsession with the baby phase which could be attributed why they kept having kids. But then each kid is "replaced" or less of an obsession for Louise when the next baby comes along. It's quite possible Ju is unique from all her other siblings in the sense that she was "the baby" for 10 years before Jan, the 13th, came along.

We don't know how Ju might have been treated differently being the perpetual baby for Louise/David. I would not be surprised if different/special attention is needed in her case. Having that experience may have shaped Ju differently then the rest, we don't know. But it's definitely a possibility IMO.

I had similar observations. I would not be surprised if Julis needs special attention. It seems Louise had an obsession with the baby phase which could be attributed why they kept having kids. But then each kid is "replaced" or less of an obsession for Louise when the next baby comes along. It's quite possible Julis is unique from all her other siblings in the sense that she was "the baby" for 10 years before Jan, the 13th, came along.

We don't know how Julis might have been treated differently being the perpetual baby for Louise/David. I would not be surprised if different/special attention is needed in her case. Having that experience may have shaped Julis differently then the rest, we don't know. But it's definitely a possibility IMO.

Great post, it does make sense!

Reports say that no one knew what a toothbrush was or how to brush their teeth. Based on that I wonder whether they even had shampoo in the house. Just to comment about the hair washing thing, although my hair and most everyone who uses shampoo would get greasy and oily after a day, if you look on the internet, you can find where some people say that if you stop washing your hair, it eventually stops producing the oil. There are some people who are on various youtubes and TV shows that say that after a few weeks, all of that grease and oil on the scalp stops. It is possible that none of the kids in the family have ever had their hair washed with shampoo whatsoever and when they were allowed to shower, maybe it was with water only. If the kids were not allowed to bathe and wash their hair, based on what I've seen on the internet about people who for whatever reason stop washing their hair, after a few months or so, the hair doesn't look greasy. Some reports say though that the hair smells very bad like some sort of sour milk smell.

My sister never uses shampoo in her children´s hair, but rinses it thoroughly with water. It seems to work fine, their hair looks and smells good. Actually really good.

I had similar observations. I would not be surprised if Julis needs special attention. It seems Louise had an obsession with the baby phase which could be attributed why they kept having kids. But then each kid is "replaced" or less of an obsession for Louise when the next baby comes along. It's quite possible Julis is unique from all her other siblings in the sense that she was "the baby" for 10 years before Jan, the 13th, came along.

We don't know how Julis might have been treated differently being the perpetual baby for Louise/David. I would not be surprised if different/special attention is needed in her case. Having that experience may have shaped Julis differently then the rest, we don't know. But it's definitely a possibility IMO.

This sounds likely.

My sister never used shampoo in her children´s hair, but rinses it thoroughly with water. It seems to work fine, their hair looks and smells good. Actually really good.

Yes, I agee. The sour smell can happen sometimes but not always according to this article in USA Today https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...pens-if-you-stop-washing-your-hair/100120826/ It depends on a lot of factors. When the youtube videos came out of the 17 year old singing, some people made comments on the internet about her hair looking too clean, but it sounds as if hair is not shampooed, that after months the grease goes away.

I'm definitely in the minority here (and possibly alone) in my thoughts on where they ended up. I have known many families involved in foster care over the years, both providers and recipients, and there are several types of home. I don't know if it's personal decisions or laws, but among those I've known - some were for teens only, some were for only pre-teens, some were for adults, some were therapeutic and others more like normal family homes. It made sense to me to split them up the way they did because only the 2 youngest are under 13, the next 4 are teens and the other 7 are adults.

I also think that the adults were developing unnatural (not immoral or inappropriate) relationships with hospital staff. I think it's great that they had such caring people with them while there, but it seems to me that it would be easier for them to develop relationships in their new home without constant reminders of what they had in the hospital. The people there were really great to them, and just what they needed at that stage of their recovery, but the treatment they received there isn't the way life is in the "real world". I really hope that all concerned do have their best interests in mind when making the decisions, and that things work out for all 13 of them.

ALL MOO

I'm definitely in the minority here (and possibly alone) in my thoughts on where they ended up. I have known many families involved in foster care over the years, both providers and recipients, and there are several types of home. I don't know if it's personal decisions or laws, but among those I've known - some were for teens only, some were for only pre-teens, some were for adults, some were therapeutic and others more like normal family homes. It made sense to me to split them up the way they did because only the 2 youngest are under 13, the next 4 are teens and the other 7 are adults.

I also think that the adults were developing unnatural (not immoral or inappropriate) relationships with hospital staff. I think it's great that they had such caring people with them while there, but it seems to me that it would be easier for them to develop relationships in their new home without constant reminders of what they had in the hospital. The people there were really great to them, and just what they needed at that stage of their recovery, but the treatment they received there isn't the way life is in the "real world". I really hope that all concerned do have their best interests in mind when making the decisions, and that things work out for all 13 of them.

ALL MOO

I remember something my mother told me from her childhood, I will not go into detail, but she was in hospital.
My mother got very attached to a young nun who was a nurse there.
After the hospital stay, my mother bought a little gift for the nun and went to see her at the hospital.
She met the nurse, but she said to my mother that she was not allowed to receive any gifts.

All her life, this stayed with my mother, she felt so bad about it - hurt, if you will, she was only 13. I wish that nurse had taken the gift and maybe thrown it away or given it to someone else.

You can´t help to whom you get attached. I think this will feel like a let-down for the siblings.

Ok!! I see.

Can't they deduct "expenses" as a private charter school?

According the hospital CEO, it was the public guardian's decision to cut off contact and the kids' attorney was against it. Those are two different people. See my link above for the direct quote.
I'm behind, so this might have been cleared up already.

Where everyone is getting confused is because they are thinking that charter schools are private. That's not the case, charter schools are public. Charter schools that cater to the homeschooling community can pass on some of their state funding to the students enrolled, for parents to purchase curriculum and supplies. That is the only way you can get $ for homeschooling.

So, there are 4 options in CA:

1. Homeschool independently, which must have a certified teacher or tutor do the schooling.

2. Declare yourself a private school and do your own thing. This is what the Turpins did.

3. Enroll in a "real" private school that caters to the homeschooling community. So the complete mail order or online curriculums like K12 would be an example.

4. Enroll in a charter school which is a public school for homeschoolers. Since it's public , no religious curriculum or studies are allowed, and there's other requirements as a public school that the other options don't need to do, like how some states require a certain number of volunteer hours to graduate, or a finance or government course. Like any public school, charter schools receive funding on a per student basis. In the example cited in a post above, where a homeschooling family received 2,500 per student, that is the charter school passing a portion of the state funding directly to the parent. Not all homeschool charter schools do this (the above example is the only one I've ever heard of, but I've been away from CA and homeschooling for several years).

Again, option 4 charter schools are actually a public schools. It's somewhat like the public school handing the parent the textbooks and the parents doing the teaching. All public school requirements must be met (attendance, testing, required classes, etc).

For those that care, there is some controversy in certain parts of the homeschooling community as to whether those who enroll in charter schools are really "homeschooling". Some homeschooling social groups get riled up about that.

Source: I'm a former homeschooler and CA resident.

ETA. Homeschooling families cannot deduct costs relating to the homeschool. There are *no* tax benefits for homeschooling.

Same for homeschoolers who register as a private school.

There *are* private "for profit" schools (my son attends one). These are truly private schools, operating as a business, advertising, enrolling many students, operating as a true business with the intent of making a profit.

A homeschooling family would not be able to simply declare themselves a for profit private school and deduct expenses. Tax regulations require businesses to actually operate as a business , advertising, charging tuition, hiring teachers, etc.

Source: I'm also a tax accountant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hasn't the subject of homeschooling being discussed in depth on earlier threads? This is just one aspect concerning how the parents got away with the abuse and going over and over it is tedious.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Amen!

My sister never uses shampoo in her children´s hair, but rinses it thoroughly with water. It seems to work fine, their hair looks and smells good. Actually really good.

I’m sure your sister is washing their bodies with soap though. I can imagine unwashed hair combined with an unwashed body (specifically underarms and “privates” for lack of better word) wouldn’t smell good. JMO

I’m sure your sister is washing their bodies with soap though. I can imagine unwashed hair combined with an unwashed body (specifically underarms and “privates” for lack of better word) wouldn’t smell good. JMO

Baby soap. I said hair, not hair and bodies.

Baby soap. I said hair, not hair and bodies.

Right, that’s my point. Your sister is washing their bodies. If she wasn’t, it would be more likely that not washing their hair plus bodies would not smell as pleasant as they do to you now.

I think that if any of the hospital staff were to visit the new location, that the tabloids would likely follow the cars and find the location. Maybe that is why they kept the hospital staff from knowing where the location is. It is possibly out of Riverside County. One thought I had is that since the word "rural" was used perhaps it is somewhere in Northern California because if it was in Riverside County then I think the tabloid reporters would probably find it quickly. Since there aren't too many 7 BR houses out there, maybe it is a property with multiple houses on it well outside the Riverside County area.

Except how on earth would the media know who the hospital staff are or where they live so they could be followed? That's all confidential except for the identity of the CEO.

I don't know a lot about the guardian other than the news reports say it is a "she" and that the guardian is temporary and that there is a hearing on May 31 to see whether the guardian should be a permanent one. https://www.pe.com/2018/02/27/adult...-can-set-a-path-for-themselves-attorney-says/

http://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp/conservatorship.shtml
Here is what types of conservatorships there are in Riverside County and my guess it is one of the first two. Has anyone been able to look in the court records to find out who the guardian actually is? Or was this person appointed as a temporary without a court hearing? I did read the article regarding the disagreement between the attorney and the guardian. Who is the guardian? Do they appoint relatives or someone else? Is it one of Louise Turpin's sisters or a female relative? Or someone from the county staff? Does anyone know?

It's a public guardian. Not a relation. http://www.counties.org/county-office/public-guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho