CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it looks like a more recent pic of her, I do believe she birthed the last child but may have had fertility treatment, per the comments to the ob-gyn about "reproducing" on the FB page.

Agreed. I suspect what is required is a single large property of the sort of size that would be used for a group home. In reality this group is as large as would fill a medium sized child residential facility anyway. What single foster family could accommodate them unless they owned a hotel?

Maybe Anjelina Jolie? idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"
. One of the girls said to me, "I can't tell you our names, but if you listen I might be able to find out what our names are, and then the little sister said, 'Don't say anything' to the older one,' Shelli says."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...in-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html
Is it possible they really didn't know their names?

I think this was badly quoted. The girl probably said she [the girl] couldn't say the names, but if the woman listened [to them talking amongst themselves] she would probably be able to hear them say what they were.

I honestly can't believe none of the older children ever tried to kill the parents. I feel Gypsy Blanchard suffered this same sort of abuse, and perhaps her future story will change based on the outcome of this one. This is such a horrific tragedy for so many lovely young people. I hope they can all recover somehow. I'm heartsick about it.

Since it was a kid who is quoted as finding the animals, we shouldn't assume the adults in the neighborhood in Texas knew. That kid may not have said anything about what she saw to an adult. She may have feared getting her friends in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'd sure like to know more about the family that wants to adopt them. Lots of responsibility, plus lots of $ in state aid. Adoption takes time. You can't just agree to adopt without knowing them, and these people want to adopt all 13? Aren't there legal implications to adopting adults? Lets stop calling them "children" when 8 are clearly adults.

One story said all were mentally incapacitated, and the 17 yr old even had a first grade comprehension level. Who are these people who are either saints or are not thinking out this situation? I think social services needs to thoroughly check this.

If they could be released as soon as Mon that is a good thing. Meaning while malnourished not critical. They only need to be in hospital til medical needs met. I would think it is a foster family, and fully vetted. Just because they are moving to a home doesn't mean they won't be getting all sorts of therapy's. And there is are many legal issues other than DT and LT. T

I pray it true and their healing journey begins and with privacy.

Just quoted a couple of the many posts on whether the children will adopted soon. I still am behind a couple pages, so my apology if it has already been corrected.

I remember this being discussed in the last thread, but it is not the children who are “ready to be adopted out.” There will be much work to be done before the siblings will leave hospitals or State services.

It was about the dogs, and they will not be adopted Monday, but in February:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/us/turpin-family-dogs/index.html
The dogs are at a shelter, and authorities plan to find a new home for them as a pair.
"They are in good condition, very active and friendly," Perris city spokesman Joseph Vargo said of the two 1-year-old Maltese mixes.
The dogs will get a new home on February 5 when the winners of a raffle, open to locals only, are announced.
City residents will need to apply in the next week and be prepared to have their homes checked out.
Vargo said the dogs -- a black one named Fluffy and a white one with no known name -- bark and wag their tails when they meet people and look pretty happy.
The dogs will get their shots and be spayed before being adopted out.

—-
http://people.com/crime/healthy-dogs-belonging-couple-accused-torturing-children-available-adoption/Expecting high interest in the pair – who must be adopted together – the City of Perris will hold a raffle to place the dogs in a new home, according to the release.

I think the older kids have the same names as they were given at birth. I have seen several comments by students and a teacher who remembers the oldest survivor from when the older children were in school in TX. One former student commented that she was the girl no one wanted to be near because of the ‘poop’ smell. It makes me sad that reportedly no one seemed to contacted CPS about the neglect. It made me think maybe the reference by the old neighbor was to the last name.

Oh, I missed any mention of former classmates. So many things break my heart about this, but to picture these beautiful kids neglected and abused at home and ridiculed and ostracized in public. And knowing that as horrible as this is, there are other likely people of all ages living in similar conditions right now. When we were all horrified by so many other cases that people brought up that graced the front pages over the last 10 (20?25?) years these kids were there, still living it. So who is still living it right now? How do we help them if they don't have their own Shera/Heman/Mighty Mouse to save the day.

Such a tough case. Sorry to rant. I do see that the Duggars first appeared in a New York Paper in 2002 and their made for TV movie 14 kids & Pregnant or some such was in late 2004. That would not really fit with the time of the neighbor's story anyway.

I hadn't posted on here in so long, got a new phone and had to register again... Been following intently but not sure if anyone has raised this:

From the unblurred photos out there (Disneyland with Eeyore) the older boy is wearing glasses and a wrist watch. Is this the kid who went to college? I wonder if his eyesight was checked by a professional prior to going to college. I don't see any of the other kids wearing a watch.

Could the watch be covering scarring or bruising? Can he tell the time?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“An aunt of the 13 siblings found locked up in the California house of horrors has revealed their own abusive childhood in which she was sexually abused by a family member and had to watch her mother getting raped.

Elizabeth Jane Flores, now age 41, whose sister Louise Turpin and her husband David were arrested after their children were found starving and chained to furniture, discussed how she temporarily lost custody of her own kids in one of her self-help books.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reveals-abusive-childhood.html#ixzz54lP7E2p3

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/us/whats-next-for-turpin-children/index.html

(CNN)As David and Louise Turpin's criminal case proceeds, the questions of their parental rights and their children's long-term future will likely be decided in another courtroom. The Southern California couple is charged with torturing and starving 12 of their 13 children over a prolonged period of time. They have pleaded not guilty on all counts

"When there are serious allegations of child endangerment, most likely child protective services will recommend a fast track to adoption," Heilman said. "However, there are times where the court may not want to make that ruling until it's further on in the criminal case."

The process to terminate parental rights is determined in dependency court, Heilman said, and birth parents have the right to contest the termination.

In the short term, the children will be placed in foster care, she said. Foster care parents could end up being the adoptive parents.

"We have a big push and responsibility to our children to see if there are any kinship caregivers ... that would be a viable option," she said. "In California, we tend not to terminate parental rights until we have an identified adoptive family."

Heilman said the goal would be to keep the siblings together, but that will likely be difficult.

"Throughout the country, there is a real need for families to step forward to become foster parents," Heilman said. "There's even a greater shortage of families that have the ability to take on siblings."

It may take at least 18 months to terminate parental rights and finalize an adoption.

In the meantime, Riverside County Department of Public Social Services is seeking court authorization to provide oversight and care for the 13 children and adult victims "to the extent that's necessary," the agency's director Susan von Zabern has said.

I've been concerned about that comment that the dumpster 'smelled of death' ever since I read that article. Considering that they left two dogs in the house and a kitten was found in the dumpster, I've wondered if there were any children who might have died.

I find it very strange that after having children at the rate of one every other year, there's a 10 year gap between the 12th and 13th children. I can't help but wonder if one or two children were born and died during that 10-year period.

This is a really interesting article about the significance of the journals. Interesting comment that they may not be admissable though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/19/turpin-torture-diaries/1049928001/

They don't have to be admissible to be used. It's in the article. Every count of abuse can be based on what they find. And they can absolutely be used as evidence. The physical journals themselves may not be able to be admitted on their own but that's okay. They don't need to be physically held by jurors for the facts within them to be admitted.

The 20/20 program ended on a hopeful note. Two of the medical staff said they look forward to attending the young peoples' graduations. The hand-picked team is tender and devoted to their charges. An expert said TRUST is the greatest challenge. An interview with a New York mother and her now-adult sons ( "The Wolf Pack") who survived 18 years of home confinement expressed empathy and encouragement that these children will acclimate to a loving, kind world.
The DA asked viewers with any info to call the toll-free number displayed on TV.

I have had that sense about everyone handling this case since the presser. I am very impressed with Riverside County. Everyone seems to dedicated to caring for these kids. It is a very hopeful thing for them.

Also , the posts of why they didn't escape "sooner" or when they were in public.

Read up on the effects of severe abuse and trauma on the psyche and the very real effects of Stockholm Syndrome. Read the narratives of Jaycee Dugard or Elizabeth Smart.

The shackles become internal and psychological very quickly. It's about survival. Please don't question why these siblings didn't run, escape or tell someone sooner. Severe and complex trauma is a complicated and very real thing.

Vent over.

Thank. You.

My God. I don't understand how anyone could question. Take a puppy. Put a shock collar on him or her. Install an invisible fence. After even a couple times deactivate the electric fence. Then see what happens. I can tell you. They won't go near the previously invisible boundary. No matter what.

These babies were "conditioned" from the time they were toddlers that any slight disobedience, even allowing the water and soap when they washed their hands, to hit slightly above their wrists, would result in insane, mind-boggling, torturous punishments. Beating. Hogtying. Being shackled for weeks. Even months. For a minor infraction.

And they were so isolated they knew next to nothing about the outside world except a couple strangely tantalizing but totally unreal glimpses at Disneyland and Vegas.

They were so deprived and abused that they have cognitive defects as a result and muscle wasting. Their brains are actually underdeveloped. They have intellectual disabilities due to lack of food and stimulation. Jeez.

The question is not why they never tried to escape before this. The question is how did this miracle, of one of these tragically tormented children escaping their captors and having the werewithal to document that torment so someone would believe, how did this miracle occur?

It's practically divine intervention. We should not be hearing about this miraculous escape. We should be hearing about a stench coming from an abandoned home and a subsequent, hopeless, gruesome discovery.

Snipped for focus. I was in a much less dire situation, but I told my 4th grade teacher that my mother hated me - the best way I could think of to describe the way she treated me. She told my mother. And I got beat.

In 5th grade, I went to school in tears after being beat with a hair brush and spent the day in the clinic. I never told my parents, but one of my teachers mentioned it to my mom at the next parent teacher conference. That time my mother came home and slapped me so hard that I slid off the piano bench onto the floor.

Things have changed a lot since then, but apparently not enough. Not nearly enough.

And the 17 year old gets more and more impressive, doesn’t she?

All of this^. That is EXACTLY why an abused kid doesn't dare say anything, doesn't hint anything, doesn't ever complain, tries to remain invisible, tries to be ever pleasing; (and whatever you do, don't dare cry..)they know it will be worse for them when everyone is gone. They know they're going to be beat worse. And then some.

Speaking from the experience.

The girl. She really is a hero. She doesn't know it yet. She won't for quite a while. Her brain is probably going to be running on the inside for quite a while. Like prey animals..ever vigilant.

My opinion only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are pictures of LT being pregnant with youngest and holding youngest as a newborn . I was very happy to at least see that she gave birth to the youngest and not one of the other children. We know there was sexual abuse to an extent, though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html

Do we know that she was pregnant with that child and not another one one? I'm assuming this photo was from her FB page, so we don't really know the exact time it was taken. JMO, could have been like the Disney pics to keep their family off track of what was really going on.

Since it was a kid who is quoted as finding the animals, we shouldn't assume the adults in the neighborhood in Texas knew. That kid may not have said anything about what she saw to an adult. She may have feared getting her friends in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I believe they interviewed both the child (now an adult) and the girl’s mother. It said that both went in the house and trailer. I think the mom was the one quoted about the clean up crews finding the dead animals.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html

Do we know that she was pregnant with that child and not another one one? I'm assuming this photo was from her FB page, so we don't really know the exact time it was taken. JMO, could have been like the Disney pics to keep their family off track of what was really going on.

I don’t know about that but there was a picture she uploaded to a FB profile under her maiden name in 2013 and she was extremely thin. Her hair was shorter but the same color as now. It makes me wonder if there were some medical issues going on with her at that time.

Ok guys, so, I made this up. Photo of all of the survivors with their ages.

(ETA: Does anyone else get "404 - image not found"? - I do. If so, just click the thumbnail. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?)

cache.php

Wow, Ana----excellent work!!! Thank you very much!!!

Regarding them going into a new home, I have to believe that authorities are taking this very seriously and are arranging appropriate physical and mental health care, probably by bringing home health care professionals in just as is done for the elderly when they leave a hospital, and possibly through some outpatient care.

We do not know the qualifications of the individuals offering to give them a home. It's quite possible that one or both of the prospective new parents have nursing or mental health backgrounds.

I really don't believe they are just moving them to an otherwise normal fostering situation. I am betting that qualified people have stepped up to do this, who likely have backgrounds in health care (possibly mental health care).

In fact, it's possible that one of the hospital staff has been so touched that they have chosen to take a leave of absence at work and do this instead.

We just don't know. But as high profile as this case is, and as emotionally affected as the hospital professionals seem to be, I can't believe that they don't have multiple advocates making sure that the best decisions are made.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I firmly agree with this post! ^^^

Regarding the Turpin Children placement...
I hardly think it is up to us on WS to second guess the decisions of the professionals who have already reported the kindness and professionalism they are bestowing on these Turpin "children"....

Additionally...
I have a few ideas what "could" be the setting of the potential residence of this family...(sans parents, of course...)

perhaps it is a ranch owner...

or a day camp owner who now plans to use it as residence for these "children"..

both of which have the potential for roomy housing, and great activities in nature!

and has the potential to be accessible for outside professionals to visit...
Just a few ideas...:thinking:

(And... Please refrain from criticizing my use of the word "children"...
I got weary of the whole debate on which terms to use.
I am still my mother's child... Technically...and I am 60 years old...
AND... She refers to my DH and I as "the kids"... And I have no problem with that...
Thank you very much!)
:seeya:

I wonder if the photos provided by the 17 year old hero may have been on the phone that she was able to get ahold of and take with her.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member