CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elley Mae, thank you. Too bad it's not under better circumstances. And I'm sorry about the long, rambling first post! I'm just really emotionally torn-up about this.

We all are. Welcome and hugs to you.

There was a comment earlier about all the children being born at a hospital. Was that confirmed? Has there been any proof of birth certificates.

My apologies if I’ve missed that here. I should have lost my job yesterday considering all the reading I did on these threads [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I find this strange. It's one thing to volunteer to be a foster family for the children, but to volunteer to adopt all of them this soon seems irresponsible.

It's so soon in the process that the evaluations they've had are likely not completely accurate as to their needs. The kids are still in shock, they've rarely interacted with outsiders, and clearly haven't had even the most basic "home training" so to speak.

To me it seems like a group home situation where there is a round-the-clock staff would be wise. 3-4 adults during the day to help the children with basic activities of daily living, helping them learn routines, have the beginnings of some school lessons, learning how to do chores, supervising their eating and nutritional needs, etc.

It's going to take a long time for any of them to feel secure about there always being enough food. Some of them will probably overeat at meals and hoard food due to their fears, and it will take an expert to help them with just this by itself.

Then there should be 1-2 adults there awake at night in case the children awaken with nightmares or have any other issues. Now that they are being exposed to the outside world, it's likely they'll all start falling victim to the myriad of viruses most people experience as children, and with their weakened immune systems due to malnutrition it will be important to monitor them carefully.

It's extremely difficult for two adults to care for a large family of their own, let alone a large family such as this one with so many problems and fears. I just think it's really unwise to place them with only 1-2 adults at this stage.

Great Post MsOpinion8d,
Imagine if you will, many of these children have probably not been taught basic skills like toilet training, personal
hygiene, manners, self-discipline, social skills, etc. In a way some of them will probably seem 'feral'.
Now add in PTSD which can cause anxiety, nightmares, sleep walking, hyper vigilance, mistrust of anyone, aggression,
anger, temper tantrums, bed wetting, etc. So you see why 'professionals' who have dealt with these problems in children, would be necessary to pull this off. Huge undertaking, IMO.

I grew up in a home that was in very similar condition to the pictures we are seeing of the Turpin’s homes. My parents also abandoned the homes in the condition they were in and moved elsewhere where the pattern repeated itself. A mentally ill mother and an alcoholic father were the catalyst in my situation so I won’t be surprised if there is substance abuse in some fashion in this situation. Thankfully, the abuse I received was ‘just’ emotional and slaps and shoves. My husband has expressed concern for me immersing myself in these threads but I’ve found it cathartic to see the horror others are expressing about the conditions of the homes the Turpins lived in. The child in me feels comforted to know that others would have been horrified for me too.

I am 54 now, married to a good man who showed me a better way to live and loves me unconditionally. I’ve raised two normal, well adjusted, successful children. Though my childhood certainly still effects my life, it has not been the end of it. There is hope for these children and young adults.

Glad you made it. 🤗

I thought this same thing when I looked at this picture. But, I think it’s possible that Elvis is doing his “Elvis point” and possibly the kids were trying to mimic the position of his hand.

I agree with you on the appearance of bruises. Also, the boys’ fingernails look so long to me. Most of their hands appear dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strange hand movements could be as a result of 'muscle wastage' and lack of co-ordination mentioned by the
doctors at the hospital. Remember many of these children were confined, restrained and limited in their daily
activities. After prolonged lack of movement the body parts don't work as well any more.

Regarding them going into a new home, I have to believe that authorities are taking this very seriously and are arranging appropriate physical and mental health care, probably by bringing home health care professionals in just as is done for the elderly when they leave a hospital, and possibly through some outpatient care.

We do not know the qualifications of the individuals offering to give them a home. It's quite possible that one or both of the prospective new parents have nursing or mental health backgrounds.

I really don't believe they are just moving them to an otherwise normal fostering situation. I am betting that qualified people have stepped up to do this, who likely have backgrounds in health care (possibly mental health care).

In fact, it's possible that one of the hospital staff has been so touched that they have chosen to take a leave of absence at work and do this instead.

We just don't know. But as high profile as this case is, and as emotionally affected as the hospital professionals seem to be, I can't believe that they don't have multiple advocates making sure that the best decisions are made.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm really thinking that someone in the media misunderstood something and is jumping the gun about plans to already place the kids in foster care. It's way too soon. The way medical experts were describing in interviews how precarious the "refeeding" process is in a case of severe starvation and malnourishment like this, I just don't think 1 week in a hospital is nearly enough time. From what I read, they can't do it too fast because otherwise the patient can actually go into shock and DIE. It hasn't even been a week since the kids were rescued. They were bringing them back slowly with IV fluids, then gradually solid food. They have to very slowly increase the calorie intake. And considering how weak the kids must have been and muscle wasting, they probably couldn't even walk right. So even when the nutrition is stabilized and their digestive system starts working again, they would likely need physical therapy to even walk right. A neurologist would have to evaluate how severe the neuropathy is. All of this takes time. And there are 13 kids. In 1 week? There's just no way.

I'm betting that someone misheard something. Maybe the kids are showing some improvement and they're being moved to a different area of the hospital? Maybe they think that they might be able to be moved to another facility for physical rehabilitation? My impression from everything I heard about the kids when they were found, and from what doctors were saying is that they were in very severe condition and some were close to death. They seemed especially worried about the 29 year old girl. I fully expected them to be in the hospital for WEEKS. Plural.

I like that D.A. I believe he will see that justice is served.
Regarding the pic on the couch- I wonder if that is dirt at the ankles of 4 siblings rather than bruises. There has been previous mention of washing hands only. So I wonder if the siblings were allowed to wash feet (not legs) and arms for such pics. If so, that could be dirt rather than bruising on the skin.

I've posted a rudimentary timeline on the Media and Timeline thread for this case. Not perfect, but helped me tie in the media info with data from the Bankruptcy filing and the estimates of when each of the survivors was born (thank you to the sleuthers who worked on that!). Will try and go back and improve the citations, but have to go run errands first. :(

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...se-Case-NO-DISCUSSION&p=13878471#post13878471
Did I miss it, or did you include in the timeline the date that she announced a pregnancy that we do not have a living child to show for?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Honestly, I find this strange. It's one thing to volunteer to be a foster family for the children, but to volunteer to adopt all of them this soon seems irresponsible.

It's so soon in the process that the evaluations they've had are likely not completely accurate as to their needs. The kids are still in shock, they've rarely interacted with outsiders, and clearly haven't had even the most basic "home training" so to speak.

To me it seems like a group home situation where there is a round-the-clock staff would be wise. 3-4 adults during the day to help the children with basic activities of daily living, helping them learn routines, have the beginnings of some school lessons, learning how to do chores, supervising their eating and nutritional needs, etc.

It's going to take a long time for any of them to feel secure about there always being enough food. Some of them will probably overeat at meals and hoard food due to their fears, and it will take an expert to help them with just this by itself.

Then there should be 1-2 adults there awake at night in case the children awaken with nightmares or have any other issues. Now that they are being exposed to the outside world, it's likely they'll all start falling victim to the myriad of viruses most people experience as children, and with their weakened immune systems due to malnutrition it will be important to monitor them carefully.

It's extremely difficult for two adults to care for a large family of their own, let alone a large family such as this one with so many problems and fears. I just think it's really unwise to place them with only 1-2 adults at this stage.

I'm not sure if this would be productive. They are not all children. Adopt an adult?

The first consideration is their physical well-being and in some cases physical therapy. Each of the siblings would have different needs and physician appointments.

The next consideration is mental needs of each sibling, plus therapy. Again, lots of appointments and needs.

Then, the most difficult thing is integration into the world of 2018, education of each sibling, and for the adults finding a job and becoming self-supporting. Because of their confinement, some of the siblings may be mentally or cognitively impaired. Integration will be a difficult task. They also, IMO, need separation to develop as individuals.

From your link:

CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday.

Monday. Wow!

Not sure how I feel about the timing of this, I hope they don't separate them because some need more recovery time than others. They've been through so much I don't want a sicker one to feel abandoned. I love the idea of them being together though, just worried about the older siblings - they've been through so much.

I just joined this site, because I felt I HAD to say something. I have been reading about this case for the past several days and reading the posts here. I have heard about a lot of horrible things in my lifetime, but this has to REALLY gotten to me. I'm completely torn up and feel sick. I can't comprehend the unimaginable pain and fear these poor kids have suffered through their entire lives.

And yes, they are ALL KIDS. The so-called "adults" are only adults in a chronological sense. In every other way, they are children - physically, emotionally, and cognitively. They were starved and horrifically tortured and stunted. Their passage from childhood to young adulthood was spent in chains. Most other people spent their 21st birthday partying with their friends...these kids very likely spent it in agony, being chained to a bed and begging their sociopathic parents for food. I feel heartbroken for all of the kids, but in a way I really do feel even worse for the young adults. I have seen unblurred pictures of the kids, and when I see the older ones and how small and frail they are, I have to think of all the many years of starvation and torture they must have suffered to get to that point. I'm about to cry again as I'm writing this.

When everything is known, I honestly, truly believe that this will wind up being the worst case of child abuse ever reported. At least in the US. I did read about the Genie case which I think some people were talking about earlier, but in my opinion this is much worse because these kids suffered through DECADES of active, deliberate abuse and torture.

The parents (monsters) are pure evil. They weren't "mentally ill." Their actions showed that they deliberately caused the children pain because they WANTED to see them in pain. They starved the poor kids to near death, watching them suffer in agony, and then put food in front of them that they wouldn't let them eat. That is SADISTIC. I believe they genuinely hated the kids and enjoyed seeing them in pain. I agree with what some other people here have said about how the mother probably only liked babies and constantly wanted babies to have as a little "doll," but then didn't want the children anymore as they grew up. Then she began to despise them because they were in her way or somehow intruding on whatever sick fantasies she had. That would explain why it looks as though the older kids were abused the worst. She wanted to punish them for even existing.

I saw a picture of the kids sitting on a couch wearing red shirts and jeans and they're all barefoot. I think that picture was taken at the house in Perris, because to me it looks like the same backyard seen in the window behind them. The patio chairs and table look the same. The rooms looks surprisingly clean, so I'm thinking this must be from when they first moved there. If so, the picture would have been taken around 2014. That picture is absolutely heartbreaking to me though. The kids all look pale (as always), and I can tell you that I definitely see very obvious bruises or scars on their feet. A couple of people commented on this earlier, and yes I absolutely see it too. It's on the bony part of their ankles (I forget the term). Several of the kids have those marks on their feet. They look like two bruises evenly spaced apart. It's probably from whatever chains or shackles the monsters put on the kids. Also, on the far right, you can tell that the boy is so weak that he can barely sit up. Also remember that he would have been in his early 20's at that time...and yet, he looks like a little kid. A very sick, frail little boy. The thought that the "parents" made those kids pose in a staged photo like that to try look like a normal family, while they were so weak and sick is...I'm hearbroken and disgusted beyond words. The fact that they put shackles on that poor kid that was already sick and suffering...I can't even think of it anymore.

I'm sorry this post was so long. I had to get all of this off my chest. I've been crying and feeling nauseous the past several days, I can't stop thinking of these poor kids and haven't been able to sleep. :(

Welcome! Totally understand how you are feeling, it's impossible for us to wrap our minds and hearts around this horror.

Someone was questions who may have taken the pictures that the owner of the previous home found. I remember the news interviews stating that the 17 year old had pictures that she showed the police to confirm what she was telling them. Since they previously moved after one child escaped, it makes me think maybe they were taken by one of the older children as the previous escape was planned. I think that if the parents realized the photos existed those pictures would have never been seen.

I think they will slowly integrate them into the adoptive home to make sure the adopter can handle all the special needs and to give each child time to adjust. They will probably do it in sets according to whether each child is able to leave the hospital. I have seen children's services integrate slowly before when there are a lot of children.

I'd sure like to know more about the family that wants to adopt them. Lots of responsibility, plus lots of $ in state aid. Adoption takes time. You can't just agree to adopt without knowing them, and these people want to adopt all 13? Aren't there legal implications to adopting adults? Lets stop calling them "children" when 8 are clearly adults.

One story said all were mentally incapacitated, and the 17 yr old even had a first grade comprehension level. Who are these people who are either saints or are not thinking out this situation? I think social services needs to thoroughly check this.

There, doctors have observed a bond among the older siblings that is “very natural for people who are cut off from the outside world,” Dr. Fari Kamalpour told ABC News.

Because doctors and nurses are among the first people the siblings will interact with in the outside world — and because patients can tell if their doctors look discouraged — a limited team of positive, upbeat physicians were handpicked by medical staff to treat the children, according to ABC News.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-chains-and-freed-her-12-siblings/?tid=pm_pop

“It becomes very personal to you. And it hurts to see what another human being can do to another human being. So it does stay with you,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any of us that are involved or have spoken to them or interacted with them that slept much in the last week because you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about them.”

From above, re: which survivors were chained:

"When police arrived at the house Sunday, three of the siblings were still chained, Hestrin said. The parents were able to get two of the children, 11 and 14, unchained before police entered, but a 22-year-old remained chained to the bed."

Regarding everyone's concern over the possibility of them being moved to a possible adoptive home I believe that if it is an experienced, well qualified foster home that is truly wanting to adopt this would be a much better environment for these siblings than an sort of a group home. I worked for CPS for 6 years and no group home, no matter how wonderful the staff, is still a group home with people who are being paid to care for the siblings and could quit or leave at anytime. Not to mention the instability and inconsistency that comes with having multiple caregivers. These siblings need a loving nurturing home with adults who will stick by them no matter what and who will teach them the skills they need to be successful and that only comes in an actual home not a group one. I believe that the right family with support from a team of therapist and healthcare professionals could be more successful in helping these kids heal.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Do you think DT kept wanting to go back to Texas for the lax religious liberties laws? I know work was a factor but I don’t think it’s the real reason.. just my thoughts and opinions.

The picture of them all on the couch is definitely taken at the Perris house, you can compare by looking at pictures in the media (taken from the neighbours back yard of the back of the property). Same curtains, same garden and the windows are the same.

It was probably around the time that they first moved in which would also explain the clean nursery as the baby is very young in the couch picture, maybe newborn.

And I can see LT, in the rush of new baby, being domestic for a short time until she "burned out" on it. so the house may have been clean for the first year or so.

Which brings me to another point that has been mulling in my mind. I believe these survivors dealt with a lot of yoyo parenting. Hot and cold. One minute, all lovey and perfect, the next minute monsters. I suspect they never knew what they were going to get. "Hey, let's go to Disneyland! Everyone take showers! Here's your clean new outfit! Oh boy, aren't we one biig happy family?" And the next minute they are getting chained to their beds for daring to look sideways at someone during their outing, or eating one almond more than allowed or washing their wrist. That flip flopping would be, in some ways, worse than constant monster. Little bit of hope that it will get better....hope smashed.....little hope...hope smashed. Whoever works with them will need to know a lot about learned helplessness/hopelessness, and external/internal locus of control. It will be a very very long recovery, and most difficult for the older survivors, IMO.

More pictures of the alphabetized DVD collection here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289371/Extensive-DVD-collection-house-horrors-family.html

I can only imagine that the children had no or extremely limited access to the films. Surely if the kids were allowed to watch all these films- and they would have had plenty of time to do so - they would have known what a police officer was. How many films have police officers or similar in them?
I wonder what a collection like that cost .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmb123