CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the video of the husband talking on ABC News and I can't quite work out what vibe I get from him. He seems awfully calm and matter-of-fact about everything. I don't know but I would just expect a different vibe from someone whose wife has been missing for nearly a week now and you would expect him to be extremely worried about her. I honestly don't know what to think in this case. Maybe it's just the way he is but it seems a bit odd to me.

MOO

Maybe I was unfair there. He did break down at the end. Maybe he was putting on a brave face. I just don't know.

to clarify the brothers are estranged. barb and my father have always been on great terms. my father and his brother have not. i am unsure of barbs relationship with her other brother.

there is something i just learned and i feel is relevant. nobody informed barbs son, and barb and her son, though living far apart, were not at all estranged. im stunned robbie or his fam would not have reached out to barbs son.

barbs son is from a much older relationship, no relationship to robbie. as i understand he learned about all this from the police, who found his number on her phone... i have not verified this.with her son and am trying to get hold of him.

agree with others about police silence. confused generally over here.

my sister was.present when robbie called my father, and heard the convo on speaker. ive asked her to write down what she remembers... will share shortly

edit: on cell phone again.... cant bother with punctuation etc on these tiny buttons. sorry
Wow - I am stunned her son did not know and only learned from police. JMO

hmmm i don’t have the sharpest memory but i’ll try to recount as best as i can - robbie and said he needs to talk to daddy and that barbara’s missing. it was a long story that started at the beginning on friday morning and progressed chronologically throughout the day. the impression robbie gave me was that she was wearing a red cap, a bikini and carrying a travel cup with beer in it. they lost sight of each other for 5-10 minutes before she “vanished” and he went back to their rv to see if she had returned but it was still locked so that meant she hadn’t come back yet (they had put the key under a rock which they both knew the location of). so he went back to check a shaded cave that they had found together earlier thinking she may have been taking a break from the heat but she wasn’t there either. he still wasn’t worried at this point because.. i don’t remember why he said he wasn’t yet worried. maybe because they both knew the area? or this was a regular thing? idk not sure but he continued searching for her on his own. by around noon time it was getting terribly hot so he started getting worried and called 911. police arrived like 2 hours later and searched for her. robbie said throughout the day they had sniff dogs, horses, hundreds of people and even a helicopter (which unfortunately couldn’t use its infrared function because it was too hot out to get any useful readings) and nobody could find any trace of her. searched throughout the night too. nothing. she had just disappeared. robbie admits “it doesn’t make any sense” that she just wandered off and got lost and there’s no evidence.. which is why he suspects she may have been picked up in a car. also because from the spot where she went missing she had to cross a highway in order to get back to where their rv was parked. also apparently she took a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill and the photo included a parking lot with some vehicles in it so the police are looking into their license plates/info.

robbie said that he just wants barbara back and will press no charges against the person who abducted her so long as they return her. the call was delivered in a measured tone but he broke down a bit at this point, was tough to hear:( ..abc reached out? idk if it was abc but some mainstream news outlet and i definitely heard nancy grace mentioned. robbie’s done some interviews as he wants to get the word out. but he hasn’t seen or read any of the released news and comments. it’s too much

he said he keeps returning to the spot where he lost her and overturning rocks and searching and searching hoping to find something. he was there the day he called us although i think he said he shouldn’t really go back there as protocol says he’s the first suspect. he was even held for 5hrs in a cop car on the first day. it’s been nonstop and nobody is sleeping. robbie said he had held off on calling daddy to tell him the bad news because it was such devastating news and he was hoping she would turn up.. but he couldn’t wait any longer. he also said it’s difficult to call into china and said his calls rarely go through so if we want to ask any questions or talk more we should call him.
txt msg from my sister. wish i.asked.for this.earlier...

Thanks for the location of the command post. That's very helpful and clears a lot up!

I would still like to know specifically where their camper was parked. It has to be fairly close to there, but I'd like to see the view from the exact spot where they were parked.
From the Inside Edition piece: “Robert says they had taken a short trip in their camper when they decided to pull up and go for a 2-mile walk to explore rock formations.” I’m not sure they were in a campsite. There is a pullover area where the command center is set up. They might have been there.

Trying to think of all possible scenarios and I don't think this is one that has been raised....what if Barb left of her own accord after a bit of a spat and walked off in a huff figuring "this is the last straw"; sees a car driving up the road and flags it down.

Perhaps Bob was in denial that Barb wanted to leave him and left the 'argument' scenario out of the story to LE, thereby coming across as deceptive.

The key problem here is that if she took that ride voluntarily, then where is she? And why hasn't she, or the driver, spoken up?
I can see general stress leading her to walk / ride off. News of her brother, stress of a long and expensive flight, perhaps other small issues we don't know about.

IMO, her leaving on her own to get away from the stress would be a good scenario, all things considered.

hmmm i don’t have the sharpest memory but i’ll try to recount as best as i can - robbie and said he needs to talk to daddy and that barbara’s missing. it was a long story that started at the beginning on friday morning and progressed chronologically throughout the day. the impression robbie gave me was that she was wearing a red cap, a bikini and carrying a travel cup with beer in it. they lost sight of each other for 5-10 minutes before she “vanished” and he went back to their rv to see if she had returned but it was still locked so that meant she hadn’t come back yet (they had put the key under a rock which they both knew the location of). so he went back to check a shaded cave that they had found together earlier thinking she may have been taking a break from the heat but she wasn’t there either. he still wasn’t worried at this point because.. i don’t remember why he said he wasn’t yet worried. maybe because they both knew the area? or this was a regular thing? idk not sure but he continued searching for her on his own. by around noon time it was getting terribly hot so he started getting worried and called 911. police arrived like 2 hours later and searched for her. robbie said throughout the day they had sniff dogs, horses, hundreds of people and even a helicopter (which unfortunately couldn’t use its infrared function because it was too hot out to get any useful readings) and nobody could find any trace of her. searched throughout the night too. nothing. she had just disappeared. robbie admits “it doesn’t make any sense” that she just wandered off and got lost and there’s no evidence.. which is why he suspects she may have been picked up in a car. also because from the spot where she went missing she had to cross a highway in order to get back to where their rv was parked. also apparently she took a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill and the photo included a parking lot with some vehicles in it so the police are looking into their license plates/info.

robbie said that he just wants barbara back and will press no charges against the person who abducted her so long as they return her. the call was delivered in a measured tone but he broke down a bit at this point, was tough to hear:( ..abc reached out? idk if it was abc but some mainstream news outlet and i definitely heard nancy grace mentioned. robbie’s done some interviews as he wants to get the word out. but he hasn’t seen or read any of the released news and comments. it’s too much

he said he keeps returning to the spot where he lost her and overturning rocks and searching and searching hoping to find something. he was there the day he called us although i think he said he shouldn’t really go back there as protocol says he’s the first suspect. he was even held for 5hrs in a cop car on the first day. it’s been nonstop and nobody is sleeping. robbie said he had held off on calling daddy to tell him the bad news because it was such devastating news and he was hoping she would turn up.. but he couldn’t wait any longer. he also said it’s difficult to call into china and said his calls rarely go through so if we want to ask any questions or talk more we should call him.

Thanks for sharing this. His story makes a lot more sense to me now. I'm leaning more towards accident at this point.

I'll be honest - you would be stupid.

It's hot. You're risking heat exposure and heat stroke.
It's very sunny. Unless you are constantly slathering on sunscreen and don't miss a spot, you are getting enough sun to increase your risk of melanoma.
You don't have enough water. You don't have enough food. You don't have shelter. You went on a hike, remember?

If you want to die because your husband got lost, they'd just carry you off the trailhead per section 5150.
Well, sure.

It might make more logical sense for the spouse of a missing person to go home and await updates on search progress from LE.

Then again, as the great philosopher and mathematician, Blaise Pascal, famously said:

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing. "

So there's that.

Last edited:

First thought (among many): Is Rob in the 360 photo she took that morning?

jmo

Wow - I am stunned her son did not know and only learned from police. JMO

Surprised but not that surprised. When I lost a loved one and was at their side, I made only a few calls, and asked that they tell others about their passing.

There is no way I could have called everyone and told them the news, not in my state. Even their closest friends that they knew for deacdes and were all but family.

Last edited:
Surprised but not that surpassed. When I lost a loved one and was at their side, I made only a few calls, and asked that they tell others about their passing.

There is no way I could have called everyone and told them the news, not in my state. Even their closest friends that they knew for deacdes and were all but family.

Agreed, but surely her son should have been one of the top priority people to tell?

Agreed, but surely her son should have been one of the top priority people to tell?

He called her family though. He may have assumed that the family talks and they'd talk to one another. It also depends on when the police called, and if it was when he was in the police car - since they probably took his phone away. He couldn't have made calls then.

Priority one would have been calling the authorities for SAR. That needs to get started ASAP.

Well, sure.

It might make more logical sense for the spouse of a missing person to go home and await updates on search progress from LE.

Then again, as the great philosopher, Blaise Pascal, famously said:
"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing. "

So there's that.

So everyone reacts differently?

Surprised but not that surpassed. When I lost a loved one and was at their side, I made only a few calls, and asked that they tell others about their passing.

I'm beyond surprised.

I'm stunned.

Flabbergasted, even.

RT can give interviews to strange reporters but he can't be bothered to call BT's SON to inform him that his mother has gone missing in the Mohave desert????

Nah.

This ain't right.

JMO.

Thank you for your diligent updates from halfway around the world. I realize this must be very stressful for you and your family in HK.

Two possibilities involving abduction cross my mind, assuming that Robbie seems to have had nothing to do with Barbara's disappearance. If she's not in the area, which if she had wandered off lost, even if she had passed away at this point (sorry), I'd think she would have been recovered with all that immediate and prolonged searching.

1) She made it back to the RV and someone was there, trying to break in or checking it out. They both surprised each other, this person had malicious intent perhaps, and she was taken.

2) She got lost and remembered seeing cars in a parking lot (not too far?) and headed there. Someone related to one of the cars took her.

The best outcome would be if someone did take her and not harm her. And she is still ok.
MOO

Surprised but not that surprised. When I lost a loved one and was at their side, I made only a few calls, and asked that they tell others about their passing.

But she wasn't passed away that we know of - just missing? I can't think of a logical reason to not inform him IMO

I'm beyond surprised.

I'm stunned.

Flabbergasted, even.

RT can give interviews to strange reporters but he can't be bothered to call BT's SON to inform him that his mother has gone missing in the Mohave desert????

Nah.

This ain't right.

JMO.

I think by the time he was giving interviews, the son already knew as the police took his phone. We know that because the police got his number from looking at the phone contacts.

Obviously he was released from custody by then.

He can have time to do an interview a few days after she went missing and not have time to call anyone except authorities and some family members (and he did call family members.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pixilove