CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some facts about Barbara from Ancestry.com.
Born: Barbara Wrenne Bullen on 11 Jun 1950 in Dallas, Texas
Married RS 17 Dec 1973 Lawrence, Miami, Indiana, USA
Separated from RS June 1976, divorce finalized July 1977 in Stamford, CT. They had 1 child.
RS died in San Diego, CA in July 1983. He was 40 years old. He had been married 3 times. In one divorce, cruelty was listed as the reason.

Barbara lived in southern California in the early 1990’s:
1353 Caminito F, San Diego, CA, 92126 (1996)
San Diego, CA (1994)
3550 Ruffin Rd Unit 251, San Diego, CA, (1991)
6100 Edinger Ave Apt 224, Huntington Beach, CA, (date unknown)
1353 Cmnito Gabaldn F, San Diego, CA, 92108 (1990)

Date unknown: 1835 Oakdale Rd SE, Cairo, GA, 39828-3583

Address, date unknown: 2369 Amana Dr, Henderson, NV, 89044-1553
Also lived in Boulder City NV.

(I alerted on this post to make sure this info is ok to post)

No marriage date to RT?

Good point. “I will not press charges” vs “We won’t press charges,” as though she is not in the picture/does not matter.

He can't use "we" anyway since he can't give her consent. He can only speak for himself.

I've heard this kind of "won't press charges" before. I think some of it comes from watching TV.

If LE suspected foul play, I doubt they would STILL have 80 members out searching the desert on the 8th day.

For that many searchers to be dedicated after this amount of time makes me think that LE believes she is still there.

JMO
Can’t be too safe. Have to continue searching, if not for her then for evidence.

Also FWIW I'd say the same thing as RT in this situation about not pressing charges.

(That would be a lie as I'd absolutely ask the DA to press charges and would do anything I could to put the perp in prison.)

We as humans speak words and thoughts from internal frame of references. My question is what would his frame of reference be for that statement?
It's probably just a desperate attempt to get his wife back safely, since he thinks she was abducted.
It's not uncommon for families to make a public plea for their family member to be returned.
I don't ever remember a case where it's actually worked, though.
If he thinks she was taken to Las Vegas maybe he should be enlisting people to help him put up missing person posters there. Imo

He can't use "we" anyway since he can't give her consent. He can only speak for himself.

I've heard this kind of "won't press charges" before. I think some of it comes from watching TV.
He seemed

She doesn’t seem to be in his future, thus the use of the word ‘I.’

IMHO One thing I hadn't considered about the search area itself is whether or not the recent 6.4 and 7.1 earthquakes could have affected the rock formations stability-wise. Even though the town of Trona is 30 miles from the epicenter, it sustained the most damage to the area. Having felt the earthquakes violently here 100 miles away from epicenter, I have to wonder how stable the rock formations along Kelbaker Road are.

Maybe Barbara tried climbing one and part of a formation gave way, trapping her inside?

Again, just MOO.

ETA: Maybe why LE has included experienced rock climbers that past 2 search days?

Last edited:
If LE suspected foul play, I doubt they would STILL have 80 members out searching the desert on the 8th day.

For that many searchers to be dedicated after this amount of time makes me think that LE believes she is still there.

JMO

Ohhhh, I think they would.

If LE suspected foul play, they'd really want to recover her body.

That way, they could hopefully gather evidence at the scene, determine cod and build a successful case against the murderer.

LE may very well believe BT is there in that desert.

LE may also suspect she's met with foul play.

Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive, especially considering the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, i.e., isolated, remote location with 1 other person present...that person being her spouse.

Regardless of whether she got lost, had an accident, suffered a medical event, met with foul play, etc.....Whatever the reason for her being missing, IF she's in that desert, the overwhelming likelihood at this point is that she's dead.

If LE doesn't find her, though, it's going to be difficult to prove that she's deceased, much less the reason why.

LE knows that all too well.
Hence the ongoing search efforts.

Kudos to them for continuing to search so tenaciously and determinedly in such brutal conditions.

JMO.

Last edited:
Poor Robert can't win... If he hadn't pleaded for her return, everyone would be saying, "if he thinks she was abducted, why hasn't he pleaded for her safe return?" I'm still on the fence, leaning significantly in the most pollyanna of directions. Hoping Barbara's found safe, whatever the circumstances. Though I admit that seems unlikely at this point, unless she was indeed abducted, but then "safe" is really not the right word...

IF it were my Wife... If everything was perfect between us.. even if so so..
I would not leave.. Ever.
I would not make theory as to what happened to her.. She is my life..
As a matter of fact..
My 5thwheel would be home base for ALL SAR members and lunch and dinner would be made.
I would have the maps in cross section and making sure every fricken square inch of the area was searched.. I would know everyone involved by name.

I would find her..

I guess that is what bothers me about this man.. He is at home in his driveway defending himself to the media with zero comment by LE and presenting her as a bikini wearing. beer drinking woman who jumped in a strangers car headed for Las Vegas..
jmho

Good mention imo. - I wondered the same way.
After all, we probably should not compare one case to another even though within one week or so of each other's but in the Sheryl Powell case (near Death Valley), her husband did not leave that campground while they were looking for his wife, he stayed with the RV the entire time.

I guess everyone is different is the answer :(

I think it's pretty common for LE to do a cursory search with the owner's permission, and if something raises a red flag they would then get a search warrant for a more detailed search.
Yes. LE would need probable cause that a crime has been committed in order to get a search warrant. JMO

I get the impression that our VI suspects that there's a connection between BT's disappearance and the company RT works for. Due to TOS RT is considered a victim so VI probably is limited to how much he can share of his suspicions. JMO but I think VI wants us to help him sleuth that connection and fill in the dots.
I think so too - and not so we can bring the info here (TOS violations) but rather turn any solid info we might uncover over to LE. It sounds like he’s afraid LE has hit a dead end (although we never know how much they really know) and hopes to leverage the interest and dedication here. I hope one of us has a helpful revelation

This is from yesterday but I don't remember seeing these photos.

West Valley SAR on Twitter
Day 8 search for missing 69 year old Barbara Thomas, Saturday, July 20. Dozens of Search & Rescue volunteers from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department continued the search today. Search K9s, Helicopter, side-by-side OHV and ground teams scoured the desert in the Mojave.
D_-1mZBUwAEZjVl.jpg
D_-1mZNUcAAqJcz.jpg
D_-1mZGU8AkwFR_.jpg
D_-1mZJU0AE1VTL.jpg

12:16 AM - 21 Jul 2019

I estimate Robert getting arrested today.

He would have been able to point out exactly where he last saw his wife, and the dogs simply must have been able to pick up her trail.

Yet no trace of her.

They probably have monitored his cellphone activity for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tskr247