CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not really the way statistics work. Statistics are for populations; you have 100K people, so many of them will die by accident, by suicide, by homicide, etc.

If we were to look at a 69 year old woman, statistics say her most likely causes of death are heart disease and cancer. I'm pretty sure that's not what happened here, though it's possible she had a heart attack while trying to manuever around some rocks and fell in a crevasse that hasn't been searched yet.

But notably, homicide as a cause of death isn't even in the top 10 for older women.

If you are talking about murder or foul play it's more likely that a victim is killed by someone they know.

MOO she was never there.
And is it just me who would deem a two mile excursion in the desert more of a hike than a "walk"?
I think of hiking as a form of exercise and walking more of a casual activity.

IMO hikers are less likely to be drinking beer while hiking than someone out for a walk taking pictures and enjoying the scenery. If that is even possible in 100 degree desert heat.

After seeing the video interviews, RT doesn't strike me as a hiker. I don't think the purpose of stopping was to get some exercise.

JMO

Morning all! Well here we are on day 13 since Barbara was last reported being seen. Unfortunately, we are no closer to finding any information that may lead to Barbara :( Robbie is not making any public pleas for help and MSM has gone quiet. Is Robbie looking into hiring a PI? Just looking for any nibble that something is being looked into in the absence of the daily search's by SAR. Without a doubt LE is working hard behind the scenes and I'm hoping for a break that will give Barbara's family some direction. WELCOME to all of the new posters! We can't have enough ideas and theories to ponder. Let today be the day they find Barbara!

PaulR,the problem is we don't know that Barbara we even there hiking in the first place so it might not apply to her.

The VI in this case said:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

MOO
Robbie has been through photos with LE. They are time stamped. They prove Barb and Rob were there. Or there would be no search, and Robbie would probably be a much more serious suspect because he has already said there are photos.
This has been stated previously.

I don't think the husband is the type who is good with finding words to say. I find nothing wrong with his statements. I almost can see the moment she went around the corner. I feel they are old school adventures, yes a beer in the hand, no need for proper gear. If he feels she was picked up, then maybe once she got to the road, a vehicle saw her, and asked for directions. At this point I believe him. I've seen so many cases lately with opportunities for criminals, that we never would have guessed it. I hope they find her.

these are very good points. in my experience robbie is a man of few words.

it is important to note, for those who are skimming the top here, he is reportedly a realtor, and has been a herbalife affiliate since i've known him. unless i am missing something, these are sales jobs, and skills in communication would be a major plus.

yes, the real estate license could be used for flipping houses. It is very much safe to say, according to my family, and myself, who have spent time with him, robbie is not a people person.

if you can take my word on this, can anyone see why i keep bringing up the occupational history, as relevant and slightly... curious should be a safe word?

DATE/TIME: July 12, 2019 2:30 pm

INCIDENT: Missing Person

VICTIM: Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, AZ described as 5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

SUMMARY:
UPDATE - Monday, July 22, 2019

The ongoing daily searches for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave National Preserve have been suspended. Additional searches will be conducted as any additional information is developed in the investigation.

Detectives from the Specialized Investigations Division have assumed the investigation as is standard department policy when a missing person has not been located.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division (909) 387-3589. Callers wishing to remain anonymous are urged to contact the We-Tip Hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or www.wetip.com.

Yes, I agree. I think pretty much anybody would rationally think she fell/got lost, etc., but the interviews were given after he and LE had been searching for some time with no luck. I think he was reaching for the most plausible answer considering she had not been found in the area where he believed she could have been. I think he was thinking the same as most of us: there's no way she would have wandered far away. MOO. None of it is making sense to any of us.

refer to sroads post with pics and description of the exact area robbie and barb were allegedly walking, and the exact area where search and rescue were searching. lost is not likely save a freak health related accident, that resulted in her walking out of the search area.

abducted, after exhaustive search, is still the most plausible answer, if robbie is to be believed. i would like to believe him. he hasn't made it easy imo.

it is important to note, for those who are skimming the top here, he is reportedly a realtor, and has been a herbalife affiliate since i've known him. unless i am missing something, these are sales jobs, and skills in communication would be a major plus.

yes, the real estate license could be used for flipping houses. It is very much safe to say, according to my family, and myself, who have spent time with him, robbie is not a people person.

if you can take my word on this, can anyone see why i keep bringing up the occupational history, as relevant and slightly... curious should be a safe word?

I'm confused. Are you saying you don't think he was ever really a realtor?

ETA: I'm also not sure what RT's profession has to do with Barbara being missing?

Last edited:

@dbdb11 , yes I have noticed you bringing up his occupation more than once. Between that and the "breadcrumbs" we followed on thread #1 it comes back to the same source...Herbalife. As I recall, we were asked by the Mods that pursing a unverified posting of 34 years ago we are not stating on track based on current info. Paraphrasing here. MOO

We don't know it was homicide at all.

For most missing hikers, the cause of death was misadventure: What's Killing America's Hikers?

At national parks, here are the leading causes of death: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ple-at-national-parks/?utm_term=.e38dcedcb204

Homicide isn't even in the top 10.

You're giving statistics that back up your point of view. But in this case, they don't exactly apply. We have a singular account of the last sighting of Barbara given by a person who is "statistically" most likely responsible for her disappearance.

SAR spent 10 days searching and were unable to find her. So she didn't have some sort of medical malady or mishap in a national park. LE has said there is no evidence of an abduction, they don't feel that is a possibility. So realistically what are we left with?

IMO, either Robert disappeared her or she arranged her own. I'll be open to more possibilities if more facts are made known. But it appears LE is using super glue instead of chapstick.

@dbdb11 Thank you for sharing your insights, much appreciated. Sending prayers and good wishes to you and your family.

To the degree that you are comfortable, could you tell us a little bit about Barb? Was she outgoing? What type of work did she do prior to retirement? Did she have an active social life? How did she and Rob meet?

I mean, 2 miles isn't that long for an avid hiker, but I still am a bit skeptical that someone would go out in the hot, hot desert sun mid-day for a two mile hike totally unprepared like that (not much sun coverage, no hiking shoes, a beer which would dehydrate you, etc). I could see someone planning to hang out like that by the RV and your husband says "Just come do a quick, short walk with me" and heading out dressed that way for what might be a ten minute walk. Perhaps that is how this all started.

Not blaming or accusing the husband, just giving one possible scenario for what might have her out on a trail dressed that way. Perhaps the short walk became longer and longer wanting to explore more. MOO

MOO she was never there.
And is it just me who would deem a two mile excursion in the desert more of a hike than a "walk"?
I'm also leaning toward Barbara never being there that day. Some people regularly walk several miles a day so I guess a "walk" or a "hike" would depend on their perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe