CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
dbdb11 ..
What were they taking pictures of ? Rocks or Petroglyphs ?
Petroglyph - Wikipedia
Was that a hobby ?
It is pretty unusual to walk 2 miles at that temp. There must be a reason.
I included that pic and the donkey pic to show the kinda things they come across in their adventures. They're both very into this kind of stuff.

Joe Nelson at The Sun?
Joe Nelson
"Joe Nelson is an award-winning investigative reporter who has worked for The Sun since November 1999. He started as a crime reporter and went on to cover a variety of beats including courts and the cities of Colton, Highland and Grand Terrace. He has covered San Bernardino County since 2009. Nelson is a graduate of California State University Fullerton. In 2014, he completed a fellowship at Loyola Law School's Journalist Law School program."

Bolding is mine.
I am on the east coast so I am not aware of some of the smaller independent weekly media who also may do (local) investigative reporting.
Thanks for the tip. I sent him a rather long note.

I'd like to see Matt and Robert on Dr Phil.
I was thinking about Dr. Phil too. He really is good imo. I've had a little experience with his staff and they (imo) will pick up on this case.
Someone mentioned Nancy Grace too which I think would be good.
It can build into other interviews. Get all the attention it can.

So he had studied the area?
Honestly, I can't imagine going out there in this heat.
I was recently at Lake Havasu and anything outside of traveling in the boat or being in the water was miserable. Just not the time of year to be out in that desert.
The one and only time I went through that area in the summertime (it was August) it was so hot that the glue on the weather stripping around my driver's side car window melted. Every time I opened my car door, I had to stuff the weather stripping back onto my car. I loathe 100+ degree heat. I get that they are "desert rats" and more acclimatized, but I still have a hard time believing that they would go out for a walk during the hottest part of the day. MOO.

Robbie told me there were no mines in the area when I last spoke to him two weeks ago. He described the earth as unfit for mining. Don't remember how he described it exactly, but he made it sound like he knew what he was talking about, including the general geology of the area.

Super great he's aware of the mines in the area, & if there could be any, & where they're likely to be found to know that this particular area didn't have any. Great to know he did his research!

And lovely to know he is oh-so-knowledgeable about the geology of the area

Yeah. Maybe I'm getting a little too hinkied-out here.

Barbara is SOMEWHERE

JMO

The 1/4 mile was based on what RT told family. I don't think those maps got added to the media thread but I'll check.
This is my first time posting. I'm not really clear on how to put the links in so we shall see if it works.
There is an old mine called Vulcan north of the area.
"Iron ore for Kaiser Steel at Kaiser, (Fontana, CA), initially came from Kaiser’s Vulcan Mine, located on the western slope of the Providence Mountains, nine miles south of Kelso, CA. From December 1942 until July 1947, the Vulcan Mine shipped 2,643,000 tons of hematite, magnetite and limonite to Kaiser, to feed the blast furnaces. " from Vulcan Mine - Wikimapia
Map link: Google Maps

Bonanza King Mine is north of Mitchell Caverns State Park.
Not that I know anything about these places or mines.
Lots of desert.
I wish we had news. Thank you for all who work hard to make this forum available.

I don't remember reading anywhere that the planned trip was 5 days, either.
I think we're going to need a link for that, unless db can confirm it as a VI.

In fact, I don't remember RT saying anything about their intended itinerary, e.g., where they were headed once they left that spot, how many days they planned to be gone, etc.

The kennel would have had some idea of how long BT intended to be gone based on the dates she arranged for her doggie to be boarded there and the date she gave them for intended pick-up.

I'm pretty confident LE will have interviewed the kennel employees who saw/spoke with BT that morning.
That would be another good question for a reporter to ask LE, though, @PommyMommy:
  • Can LE confirm they've spoken with the kennel staff who were working the morning BT was last seen?
JMO.
kennel confirmed it. websleuths were the first to reach out

But RT does not sound too active. At least a reward would help and would show he cared that is, if he has the funds for one.
Right now we don't know what Robbie is or isn't doing. I couldn't tell you he doesn't have a PI. I don't know if he is putting up posters, i hear his family is spreading the posters on the ground and in social media.

I found what his lawyer had to say very interesting, and wonder if any media will pick up where the last interview left off.

We simply don't know how active an individual he normally is, though.

He looked pretty robust to me in those interviews.
The fact that he and Barbara went out walking in the desert in the middle of the day, with the sun at its zenith and temperatures soaring >100 degrees provides some evidence that they maintain an active lifestyle.

You have to be pretty active to be capable of undertaking that kind of outing.

JMO.
I don't mean physically active I mean pro-active on finding her. Reward, interviews, talk shows, etc., but I really don't think that's his thing. He is a man of few words like his nephew said, so I guess he wants to stay out of the fray. If he posted a reward and something came up that would take care of it.

We simply don't know how active an individual he normally is, though.

He looked pretty robust to me in those interviews.
The fact that he and Barbara went out walking in the desert in the middle of the day, with the sun at its zenith and temperatures soaring >100 degrees provides some evidence that they maintain an active lifestyle.

You have to be pretty active to be capable of undertaking that kind of outing.

JMO.
I can barely stand it to go from the house to the car in that kind of weather!

This is my first time posting. I'm not really clear on how to put the links in so we shall see if it works.
There is an old mine called Vulcan north of the area.
"Iron ore for Kaiser Steel at Kaiser, (Fontana, CA), initially came from Kaiser’s Vulcan Mine, located on the western slope of the Providence Mountains, nine miles south of Kelso, CA. From December 1942 until July 1947, the Vulcan Mine shipped 2,643,000 tons of hematite, magnetite and limonite to Kaiser, to feed the blast furnaces. " from Vulcan Mine - Wikimapia
Map link: Google Maps

Bonanza King Mine is north of Mitchell Caverns State Park.
Not that I know anything about these places or mines.
Lots of desert.
I wish we had news. Thank you for all who work hard to make this forum available.
Welcome to Websleuths, coffeebreak. Good to have you with us!

I'm terrible with names and don't remember the Vulcan mine but I do remember the Bonanza King which seemed too far north, IIRC. I think the Hidden Hill mine was the one I had it narrowed down to, if in fact a mine had anything to do with Barbara's disappearance.

Coordinates here: Hidden Hills Mine (Hidden Hill Mine), Hidden Hill, Arrowhead District (Arrow District), Providence Mts (Sierra de Santa Coleta; Timpisagwagatsitci), San Bernardino Co., California, USA

Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):
34° 48' 29'' North , 115° 32' 56'' West
Latitude & Longitude (decimal): 34.80806,-115.54916
GeoHash: G#: 9qjy48eet
Locality type: Mine
Köppen climate type: BWh : Hot deserts climate

Map: Google Maps

Right now we don't know what Robbie is or isn't doing. I couldn't tell you he doesn't have a PI. I don't know if he is putting up posters, i hear his family is spreading the posters on the ground and in social media.

I found what his lawyer had to say very interesting, and wonder if any media will pick up where the last interview left off.

Thanks for this info about the flyers/posters on the ground there. I work with trucking firms, etc to get the word out for the missing and I have heard back from several of them that their trucks will have the flyers.
Also, drivers in that area have been made aware. I cannot mention the firms by name.
Hoping to help,
Chi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members