CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why else he would have done it if not to get her attention. If he could not see her then he would assume she could not see him.
People might notice something moving rather than something completely still, especially from a distance.

BBM: That's my rationale also. Like a long shot of a desert scene in "Breaking Bad", where nothing is moving, until, you all of a sudden see a glint of silver in the upper right hand of the TV screen... and it's a moving car, coming down the desolate highway. Considering the boulders and cacti wouldn't be moving, and I'm also doubtful of the cholla; I should think it would be logical behavior on the part of RT to try to provide the eye-catching movement in the landscape.

I also disagree that the RV would necessarily take care of the "visibility" problem by "glittering" in the sunlight and thus negate RT's need to "wave his arms", unless the RV itself was in the process of moving (or, possibly, unless BT was moving). I freely admit I glazed over a little during the pages and pages of discussion about the RV and thus don't remember; but would it necessarily "glint" if it wasn't in and of itself 100% unpainted metal? If it was, say, painted white (I've no idea), wouldn't there only be parts which would glint or glitter in sunlight, like the back of the side view mirrors? To assume it's like the classic Airstream unless we know (do we? happy to be corrected here), seems foolhardy to me.

Lastly, I point out that I'm not sure we have any idea where RT was in relation to the RV, when he was hollering and moving his arms. I don't know how far away he walked and how much ground he covered in his search for BT. I don't seem to recall LE or reporters asking him; and I would assume that they would assume it would rank low in the grand scheme of "things you'd notice when frantically searching for your lost spouse", unless RT was wearing a step counter or similar type of device.

BBM: That's my rationale also. Like a long shot of a desert scene in "Breaking Bad", where nothing is moving, until, you all of a sudden see a glint of silver in the upper right hand of the TV screen... and it's a moving car, coming down the desolate highway. Considering the boulders and cacti wouldn't be moving, and I'm also doubtful of the cholla; I should think it would be logical behavior on the part of RT to try to provide the eye-catching movement in the landscape.

I also disagree that the RV would necessarily take care of the "visibility" problem by "glittering" in the sunlight and thus negate RT's need to "wave his arms", unless the RV itself was in the process of moving (or, possibly, unless BT was moving). I freely admit I glazed over a little during the pages and pages of discussion about the RV and thus don't remember; but would it necessarily "glint" if it wasn't in and of itself 100% unpainted metal? If it was, say, painted white (I've no idea), wouldn't there only be parts which would glint or glitter in sunlight, like the back of the side view mirrors? To assume it's like the classic Airstream unless we know (do we? happy to be corrected here), seems foolhardy to me.

Lastly, I point out that I'm not sure we have any idea where RT was in relation to the RV, when he was hollering and moving his arms. I don't know how far away he walked and how much ground he covered in his search for BT. I don't seem to recall LE or reporters asking him; and I would assume that they would assume it would rank low in the grand scheme of "things you'd notice when frantically searching for your lost spouse", unless RT was wearing a step counter or similar type of device.
He could have driven that 40 foot trailer up and down the Highway in the hopes she would see the movement. That would have been better than any jumping he could do.

Right. I doubt it's as if he got back to the RV, saw she wasnt there, and thought, 'she's been abducted since she was in her bikini and drinking a beer!'

I'm sure there were some other thought processes involved, such as the process of elimination. For example, she would not have run off and left him the way she was dressed. She was nowhere to be found after he went back and looked for her. The searchers had not found any trace of her so far. She disappeared very soon after he last saw her. He thought it was unlikely that she made a wrong turn and got lost. She must have been near the road.
How many explanations are there?!
If he had said, I think she fell into a crevice, that would be even more ominous because it might mean she was injured or dead.
If he said he thought she got lost there would be just as much suspicion.
What could he have said that would not raise suspicion? In terms of what he believed had happened to her? I can't think of anything. No matter what he said there are always ways to look at it suspiciously. Imo
I have wondered a similar thing, "What could he have said that would not raise suspicion?"

I think I could believe the scenario more easily if he had said they became separated earlier in their walk, when they were 2 miles away from the road.
He could have used exact same scenario, he was taking pictures, and she decided to walk ahead a l little ways.

It would be a lot more believable to me that she got lost, disoriented, out in the desert, than having that happen within sight of the highway and the RV.

Does that make it more likely that he is telling the truth? IDK. Maybe he wanted to use the abduction theory and it only works if she was at the highway?

I do not know why some people are going on and on abut RT. I don't see him being arrested. He is most likely grieving and suffering and who knows what else. I think it was a simple case of her being lost, unfortunately. That desert is scary.
The desert is scary. But according to RT, his wife was already done with the desert hike. She was only 1/4 of a mile away from the highway, and the RV was already in sight.

So it is hard for me to believe she got lost in the desert, when she was so close to the highway. She'd hear passing vehicles, and be able to see the road, and her big shiny new RV.o_O

The desert is scary. But according to RT, his wife was already done with the desert hike. She was only 1/4 of a mile away from the highway, and the RV was already in sight.

So it is hard for me to believe she got lost in the desert, when she was so close to the highway. She'd hear passing vehicles, and be able to see the road, and her big shiny new RV.o_O
Do we know for sure that she could hear and see the road and the RV from where she was after she turned the corner? I live 1/4 mile from a busy road, and I have never heard the traffic.

I didn't think LE ever clarified exactly where she was at that point. Some of those rocks look pretty high, and I don't know how we could know exactly where she was or which way she went. Imo

I have wondered a similar thing, "What could he have said that would not raise suspicion?"

I think I could believe the scenario more easily if he had said they became separated earlier in their walk, when they were 2 miles away from the road.
He could have used exact same scenario, he was taking pictures, and she decided to walk ahead a l little ways.

It would be a lot more believable to me that she got lost, disoriented, out in the desert, than having that happen within sight of the highway and the RV.

Does that make it more likely that he is telling the truth? IDK. Maybe he wanted to use the abduction theory and it only works if she was at the highway?
Yes, if he was in any way responsible for her disappearance, there seem to be many scenarios he could have invented to make it more believable.
He could have at least put more time and distance between the last time he saw her and when she went missing.
If he really wanted people to believe she was abducted, he could have planted something along the road, like her cup or hat, or sunglasses.
Imo

I hear you. so L.E don't agree with an abduction (as far as we know), RT thinks BT was abducted. do we know why L.E aren't convinced re abduction? where does that leave L.E?

i'v flip-flopped a couple of times. It's hard to not feel compassion for a person who's loved one has vanished without a trace. It's also reasonable to look at the person who was last with her. I hope LE have more than mere hope to lead them to BT. going round in circles in my head :confused:

Are there like sink holes in the desert? Like in my head I’m imagining a quick sand type thing that just swallowed her up.

hi Tssiemer, good thought! unfortunately i cannot help as i've never been in a desert or the type of land the Mojave is. maybe some other sleuthers can advise?

This was discussed a thread or two back. I think the consensus was that there were no sinkholes or mines in this particular area.

From the recent earthquakes, apparently there are sinkholes (see link below) However, I believe if a sinkhole swallowed Barbara, SAR would have seen evidence of a collapse. IMO

Giant cracks in the ground fissure Mojave Desert after two major California earthquakes - Strange Sounds

ETA: google maps shows Ridgecrest, CA is 167 miles from the intersection of HH and Kelbaker Rd
ETA: @Nikynoo : I remember these discussions as well; fellow sleuthers checked for the possibility of sinkholes, mines, and quicksand...my memory of the consensus was the same as yours MOO; IIRC

Last edited:
I don't think there was anything he could have done right.

He could have left his photographing for another day kept up with his dear wife, his constant companion, soon to leave by herself on a big trip, who was enjoying a beer [s?] without good skin protection in the summer mid-day Mojave and enjoy her company on the way back to the camper.

He could have called 911 with all due haste considering the urgency of the location, her skin exposure, no water, and with his knowledge of the desert experience that it would be sometime before help arrived.

BT, RT said, wanted back to the camper. There is no reason to think she was doing anything other than going back there.

It is not logical to assume someone who lives in the desert, recreates in the desert, doesn’t know how critical the situation was the minute she was not to be found at the camper or in the absolute immediate vicinity.

IMO

He could have left his photographing for another day kept up with his dear wife, his constant companion, soon to leave by herself on a big trip, who was enjoying a beer [s?] without good skin protection in the summer mid-day Mojave and enjoy her company on the way back to the camper.

He could have called 911 with all due haste considering the urgency of the location, her skin exposure, no water, and with his knowledge of the desert experience that it would be sometime before help arrived.

BT, RT said, wanted back to the camper. There is no reason to think she was doing anything other than going back there.

It is not logical to assume someone who lives in the desert, recreates in the desert, doesn’t know how critical the situation was the minute she was not to be found at the camper or in the absolute immediate vicinity.
IMO
Agree. Assuming she was there.

IMO
Yes, that's what I mean. No matter what he did there are always ways to find fault.

If he had called 911 before looking for her himself, he would have been criticized for not even bothering to look for her.
If she had been the one carrying the bag with the water, he would have been criticised for not carrying it himself.
The purpose of the walk was to view and rock formations. Why is it so unreasonable that he stopped to take a picture? Apparently they both took pictures. It was a four mile walk and they were almost back. It was only the last 1/4 mile that they were separated.

And yes, there was no reason to think anything other than she was going back to the RV. He would have assumed he was not too far behind her, and if he was worried about her being without water he may have planned to give her the water as soon as he got back. He may have thought he would catch up with her before she got back.

Just because he stopped for a few minutes to take a picture doesn't show that he had no concern for her.
They had camped many times before, and we dont know if they were always by each other's side every minute.
Maybe there were times when she went looking for rocks on her own and he was tired so he stayed behind at the camper. And maybe during those times she was just fine on her own.
She was said to be very independent, so I'm sure there were times during their marriage that they both needed some space and did things without the other right by their side. That's what most couples do. Imo

Last edited:
Agree. Assuming she was there.
In the absence of proof, I'm making no such assumption. I don't like to make assumptions.

I do like working with facts.

One known fact is that RT went on Inside Edition and stated that LE told him the results of his polygraph showed he was being deceptive.

Another fact of record is that the 911 call was placed at 3:26 pm.

It's also a fact that LE searched exhaustively for 9 days and stated at the end of their search that they found no evidence or trace of BT there.

LE took the extraordinary step of going on record saying that they do not believe BT was abducted.

I'm drawing some inferences based on these known facts.

Drawing inferences isn't the same thing as making assumptions.
Inferences are conclusions based on reasoning.
Assumptions are things accepted as being true without proof.

I ain't assuming that RT's version is true just 'cause he said so.

JMO.

Last edited:
i'm may be not the only one who thinks it's all been a load of nonsense to be polite. BT was never there, has been killed and is a different location.
According to the VI insider LE verified that she was there based on pictures of her taken there on that day.
Why would they say that if it wasn't true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18