GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
2m
Jeremy Witt's testimony via transcript reading: Says Smith said: “something went wrong and we touched the f&*^%$& place." Witt says he attributed it to a young kid talking smack. Witt says he was not aware of #PinyonPines murders at that time. Confirms he heard the word “we” 100%

Jeremy Witt's testimony via transcript reading: Witt says he saw something about the murders on the local and network news. Spoke with his family and decided to make an anonymous call to police tip line. @KESQ @LocalTwo

Jeremy Witt's testimony via transcript reading: Witt says he had another encounter with Smith where they talked about being in the military, says it happened at a get together.....

Jeremy Witt's testimony via transcript reading:
Witt: “You don’t have to be a killer just to have served."
Smith: “You don’t have to be in the military to be a killer.”

Jeremy Witt’s former testimony via transcript reading: Witt says he was surprised when police investigators showed up at his house after he left anonymous tip.

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
5m
Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Testifies that @ the time, Smith lived w/ girlfriend, Jackie and a guy named Louis (sp?) Robbins. He got a call from Robbins that police were at the house searching it.

Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Witt testifies he was out of the country at the time of the murders and did not have any knowledge of the #PinyonPines triple murder.

Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Says a roommate of Smith's told him about the police search warrant on their home. “It was about the fact that his best friends’ girlfriend got killed and that’s why they were there. They were looking for weapons.” (shot gun)

Court is breaking for 15-minute recess.

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
7m
This is the area at Knott’s Soak City in #PalmSprings that the alleged conversation between Witt and Smith took place. @KESQ @LocalTwo #PinyonPines triple murder trial.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 118
Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
23m
Court is back in session and transcript reading of Jeremy Witt's preliminary hearing testimony is being read aloud.

Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Conversation with Smith at Knott's Soak City took place in the employees only section above the shallow area of the pool where people get in and out. Says there were guests around, but not in the immediate area.

Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Witt repeats what he claims Smith said poolside, “something went wrong, we torched the f#$%^&* place.”
Witt says he didn't know what Smith was talking about and thought to himself, 'is there a plume of smoke out there?'

Jeremy Witt’s testimony via transcript reading: Witt says he did not have any knowledge of the murders at this point in time. Says he thought it could have been a robbery and he "didn’t know people were in there."

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
6m
The reading of Jeremy Witt’s testimony (via transcript) during a preliminary hearing has ended. During prelim. hearing, the @RivCoDA, and defense attorneys Jeff Moore and John Patrick Dolan, all had a chance to ask questions so much of the testimony included repetitive Q and A.

Court is back in recess. Will resume at 1:30 p.m. Join me for a Facebook LIVE here- --> (link: https://bit.ly/2K64UXB) bit.ly/2K64UXB <--- at 1:30 p.m. PT. #PinyonPines triple murder trial. @KESQ

and that's it for me tonight!

Back tomorrow! :seeya:

Oops - just read back a few posts...

Judge Schwartz apologizes to jury for delays. Says the trial is still on schedule. No court tomorrow or Friday. Prosecution expects to rest its case on Monday.

Guess I'll be back Monday then - have nice weekend all!

and here are the rest of the tweets from yesterday afternoon:

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
We are back on the record in the #PinyonPines triple murder trial. Audio recording of Jeremy Witt's anonymous phone call to police is going to be played aloud at some point. Defense has asked that one part be censored from jury. Jury is being brought in.

New witness takes the stand: Eric Gilkerson is a forensics examiner of footwear/tire impressions for the FBI.

Gilkerson identified shoe prints found at the scene (image is being projected behind him onto screen). One matched a DVS shoe sole. Second footprint matched a Vans Emory shoe sole. Third shoe print matched a Globe shoe sole, the same brand taken off of Becky Friedli's body.

Gilkerson testifies he did not identify the size of the shoes as he was not asked to do that and because it would have required a complex process.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer, now with @RivCoDA, was a former investigator with @RSO has been sworn in. Jeremy Witt's anonymous phone call to police is about to be played.

Jeremy Witt called in to police. Does not want to provide his name, but speaks over the phone with investigator. During phone call, he states he had seen a news special two weeks before about the murders and "couldn&#8217;t believe what I was watching."

Witt tells police: 'It was somebody I worked with. They were shocked the house was burned down. The name of the individual is Cristin Smith. He&#8217;s the one that lit the fire."

Audio recording has finished. Now they are discussing Robert Pape's Bank of America statement. Judge has called recess.

Back from recess. Jury has returned. Investigator Ryan Bodmer is still on the stand. Instead of examining bank statements for now, a video is being played. Video is of a nighttime drive test from near murder scene down Highway 74. Video is unremarkable and means to time drive.

Jeremy Witt will not physically take the stand, but his words may still have a major impact on the case.

@KWidnerCBSL2 is in Riverside court today with up-to-the-minute coverage of the trial of Robert Pape & Cristin Smith. #PinyonPines

and she attached this article from above tweet:

Key witness does not take stand, has his testimony read in Day 13 of Pinyon Pines trial
http://www.kesq.com/news/updating-k...ead-in-day-13-of-pinyon-pines-trial/740131271

See you all on Monday! :wave:

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
3m
On the agenda for today includes cell phone tower data that allegedly shows the pair moving through the Coachella Valley toward the murder scene. Technological advancements in this area are part of the new evidence that brought this cold case to trial. #PinyonPines triple murder

Anyone know anything about Twitter? How can I get it back to where it actually shows that there is a new tweet? For some reason it changed on me last week. Now I have refresh the page to see if there is anything new!

TIA! :wave:

This will be interesting. I wonder if the tech that tracked "the pair" is the same tech that placed Merritt at the McStay d's ( damned tablet autocorrect McStays') graves? Hemisphere? I see some testimony about this upthread, so I am off to read.

Thank you so much, Niner! You rock! :yourock: :rocker:

:tyou: coastal

So is it the "same" tech from the McStay case? I'm following that one too.

Monday, May 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 15) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - *Cristin Conrad Smith (29/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused & charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Plead not guilty.
*Robert Lars Pape (29/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with 3 counts of murder with special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders & faces LWOP. Plead not guilty.
**Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014
5/9/18: Judge Schwartz lets jury know that the prosecution could rest their case on Monday, 5/14. Still on schedule.
No court on Fridays.

and I shall be back later to post the tweets! :online:

Sorry for the late start! :)

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
17m
Court is back in session for the 5th week of the #PinyonPines triple murder trial. @KESQ @LocalTwo

Court picks up with cross examination of Investigator Ryan Bodmer, speaking about his nighttime drive test. Cristin Smith's defense attorney Jeff Moore is at the helm. #PinyonPines triple murder trial

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Testified previously that the drive from crime scene in #PinyonPines past Big Horn cell tower was approx. 35 minutes. Investigator &#8220;paced&#8221; that time several times.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Listened to anonymous tip, now know to be from Jeremy Witt, several times. Took months for investigators to learn who it was.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Bodmer and another investigator went to Witt&#8217;s home, knocked on his door. Witt answered looking &#8220;perplexed, bewildered.&#8221; Witt was possibly holding a beer, but Bodmer did not try to quantify how much Witt had been drinking.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Witt confirmed he was the person who had made the anonymous call to police in 2011. Bodmer says they did not discuss a reward for information.

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
22m
Investigator Ryan Bodmer: After conversation at the home they took Witt back to the station for a longer interview. Witt drew out a timeline of events, now being projected onto a screen.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Witt was familiar with some of the details of the case. Knew defense attorney John Patrick Dolan was part of the case. Had driven past the Denny&#8217;s where Becky Friedli used to work.

Investigator Ryan Bodmer: Witt did not want to be involved with the case.

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
9m
No further questioning for Investigator Ryan Bodmer. He has been excused from the stand. Court is going to recess. #PinyonPines triple murder trial @KESQ @LocalTwo

My laptop is a little slooowwww today..... :pcguru:

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
1m
Jury is re-entering after morning recess.

that was a 40 minute break....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allewine