GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
well at least this guy doesn't sit around waiting....

Jeremy Chen
@JeremyChenKESQ
·
15m
For those that have missed my report yesterday I broke down the various possible verdicts the jury could come up with in the #PinyonPines murder trial. 1st thing, Pape and Smith could either have the same or different verdicts individually for their 1st degree murder charges.

There could be a guilty verdict on the 1st degree murder charge or a guilty verdict on a lesser second degree murder charge for one or both men. #PinyonPines

There could also be a not guilty verdict for one or both men. #PinyonPines

A third possible result would be a hung jury in which jurors can’t make up their minds on a verdict for either one or both men. In that case a mistrial could be declared and the DA could refile charges and do the whole trial process again. #PinyonPines

For example: It’s possible the jury could reach a verdict for one man and have a hung jury for the other person. #Verdictwatch continues. #PinyonPines

Jeremy Chen
@JeremyChenKESQ
·
2m
Jurors off to lunch. #verdictwatch continues when court reopens at 1:30 pm. #PinyonPines

So they deliberated for an hour and they can't eat while they do this??!!!
And I didn't realize it was so late again.... I still have light out here at almost 10:30pm! Almost the midnite sun! LOL!

Be back early - and maybe, just maybe they will have come to a decision. I'm thinking Not!

Have a great day/evening all!

I can't imagine being a juror for a trial with two defendants, tried together, for the same murders. I mean, how would that work? I understand the concept, and I guess it makes sense from a resource management point of view, but it seems to me that some evidence might not "attach" to each defendant equally, or might not even exist for one or the other defendant. Smith's fingerprints were found on that business card, but it was Pape's mother who worked with the woman named on the card. How do you (we) count that as evidence that both were there?

That isn't a good example. I know. Maybe I can think of another one...I will try.

I suppose it comes down to the idea that if both men were present during the commission of a felony, both are equally guilty of committing the crime. That makes sense to me for a premeditated crime like an armed robbery, where one defendant carries a gun and another defendant drives the getaway car. If D1 shoots somebody dead, D2 is also guilty of causing that murder. But I don't think the prosecution has suggested these defendants went to Becky's house for the purpose of killing her and her family. Have they? I see this as more of an "oh *advertiser censored*!" crime of passion, with Becky a victim of rage and her mom and mom's bf killed in an attempt to confuse Becky's crime scene. Of course, I only know what I've read in these threads, so my understanding may be way wrong. But I can't yet see these two men as equally guilty of the charges against them. Hopefully, the law (and the Judge) will clarify things for this jury.

Am I making any sense here? Do any of you have trouble with the idea of trying two defendants together?

Goodnight, Niner! Thanks for the tweets!

Good night Niner and thank you for the updates

Thanks to all who provided info on this case it really gave me a clearer outlook on things...

Would it be a mistrial for both if they found one guilty or not guilty and hung on the other?
That's a great question! I have no idea what the answer is, though.
Off to do some research!

No, I think the jury can find a verdict on one defendant and be hung on another.

But I could be wrong....
wory-smiley.gif

I can't imagine being a juror for a trial with two defendants, tried together, for the same murders. I mean, how would that work? I understand the concept, and I guess it makes sense from a resource management point of view, but it seems to me that some evidence might not "attach" to each defendant equally, or might not even exist for one or the other defendant. Smith's fingerprints were found on that business card, but it was Pape's mother who worked with the woman named on the card. How do you (we) count that as evidence that both were there?

That isn't a good example. I know. Maybe I can think of another one...I will try.

I suppose it comes down to the idea that if both men were present during the commission of a felony, both are equally guilty of committing the crime. That makes sense to me for a premeditated crime like an armed robbery, where one defendant carries a gun and another defendant drives the getaway car. If D1 shoots somebody dead, D2 is also guilty of causing that murder. But I don't think the prosecution has suggested these defendants went to Becky's house for the purpose of killing her and her family. Have they? I see this as more of an "oh *advertiser censored*!" crime of passion, with Becky a victim of rage and her mom and mom's bf killed in an attempt to confuse Becky's crime scene. Of course, I only know what I've read in these threads, so my understanding may be way wrong. But I can't yet see these two men as equally guilty of the charges against them. Hopefully, the law (and the Judge) will clarify things for this jury.

Am I making any sense here? Do any of you have trouble with the idea of trying two defendants together?

Goodnight, Niner! Thanks for the tweets!

This reminds me of the Laura Babcock trial and trial prior, where the 2 Defendants were tried together.
Fortunately, Guilty, First Degree for both trials.
Due to delay in Verdict, I am worried here.

I do NOT like how long this verdict is taking. I assume there may be a couple of jurors holding out on a verdict? Just an opinion.
I've been praying that God will guide them to the truth so justice can be served.....but even if it doesn't go this way I prayed for acceptance & trust in God's Will...all things will be dealt with in accordance with God's plan. ️l
I live in Palm Desert, so allow me to provide some context on how most of the general public feels regarding this case:
-Pape is from a very religious family that attends a very large, prestigious and wealthy church in the valley. This carries a lot of clout so I feel like lots of people want to support his family, so they publicly support both of the defendants
-Smith is known for being a military hero, and he is from a very wealthy family. He also has a lawyer who will talk to anyone and everyone about how he is innocent and it’s a horrible miscarriage of justice.
-there is an overarching theme of distrust towards LE in the area. Many believe the evidence collection was botched. This is why people will argue the business card was planted. This theme extends over to distrust of government/ da which is why so many people believe Javier Garcia to be the real killer. This suspicion alone cost his mom her reelection.
-most people feel uncomfortable with “two nice boys” having committed such a brutal and heinous crime. This is white privilege at its finest. If the two boys were a racial minority, everyone would be singing a different tune, guaranteed.

I know this is ridiculous but if you look on the comment section of articles on kesq.com you will find 9/10 defend the suspects, while degrading the district attorney, prosecutors, law enforcement, etc etc. I feel like people just can’t handle the fact that two seemingly normal all American boys could wipe out an entire family and just go back to playing video games.

The other thing to keep in mind about the valley—it is extremely small town for not being all that small. Everyone either knows everyone or somehow knows of them. This is most important when you consider the scope of his entire family—someone will either know him, his parents, his siblings, his ex wife, etc.

I hope and pray for a conviction, but based on the way I hear people speaking about the case everyday, I find it unlikely. Hoping the jurors see through it all.
Thank you for your info...it helps explain the amount of support the accused are getting. Have you heard of a motive? That seemed to be the only thing missing...eventhough a motive doesn't have to be proven; its just one more piece in solving the puzzle

I've been praying that God will guide them to the truth so justice can be served.....but even if it doesn't go this way I prayed for acceptance & trust in God's Will...all things will be dealt with in accordance with God's plan. ️l

Thank you for your info...it helps explain the amount of support the accused are getting. Have you heard of a motive? That seemed to be the only thing missing...eventhough a motive doesn't have to be proven; its just one more piece in solving the puzzle
Hi Shanda. I haven’t heard people discussing a motive, many people use the “no motive” argument to profess their belief in the defendants innocence.

I, however, will share with you what I believe in my heart to be the truth. I think that Becky and Robert had a romantic encounter after Robert started dating his future wife, Sara. I think that there was some information that Robert didn’t want Becky to tell Sara. Had they had sex? Was she gossiping? Did Becky know some secret? I think they killed her to keep her silent.

Hi Shanda. I haven’t heard people discussing a motive, many people use the “no motive” argument to profess their belief in the defendants innocence.

I, however, will share with you what I believe in my heart to be the truth. I think that Becky and Robert had a romantic encounter after Robert started dating his future wife, Sara. I think that there was some information that Robert didn’t want Becky to tell Sara. Had they had sex? Was she gossiping? Did Becky know some secret? I think they killed her to keep her silent.
That is the most logical explanation...I was pretty certain they were the killers..this just puts the icing on the cake. I hope this comes to mind as the jurors continue their deliberations...lovers/exlovers, passion is motive #1

Monday, June 4th:
*Trial continues VERDICT WATCH! (Day 6) (@ 9:30am PT) CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - *Cristin Conrad Smith (27/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused/charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Plead not guilty.
*Robert Lars Pape (28/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders; faces the LWOP. Plead not guilty.
6/4/18: The jurors have deliberated so far approximately 34.5 hours (by my calculations).

judge-smiley.gif
Hopefully today IS the day for a verdict!!

I shall return.... later! To do the tweets.
computer-man-smiley.gif

Well, an hour later still no tweets.... I did check the other two, but nope! Will keep checking!

Finally!!

Katie Widner CBSL2
@KWidnerCBSL2
·
35m
I’m back on jury watch for the #PinyonPines Triple Murder trial today. Bailiff tells me the jury has asked for a read back of a transcript. @KESQ @LocalTwo

#PinyonPines Triple Murder Trial: Bailiff says the jury requested an entire read back of Robert Pape's ex-wife, Sara Honaker today. There were no questions from the jury. @KESQ @LocalTwo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double
Back