Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you asked! I read this post on thread #3 this morning: "Just watched KTLA news. The reporter was at OCSD headquarters in Santa Ana. He felt strongly there will be a break in the case today. Also that investigators don’t believe this was premeditated. Of course he talked about the friend. The reporter also mentioned there were 3 search warrants served.
I will post a link as soon as it is available."

But I just went back and don't see that a link was ever posted... Does anyone know anything about this KTLA report?

That was my post. I just posted the link on page 21 of this thread. I tried to post on my original post but wasn’t able to as edit post was not showing for me.

I think the plastic bin had nothing to do with it and was probably just there for something else. I don't think this is going to end up being that complicated. Probably past lovers meeting back up on school break and something went wrong/got out of hand. I don't necessarily think there was any pre-meditation or luring that happened. Just sudden rage for whatever reason, but I think it was related to a romantic relationship between the two.

My thoughts as well. I don’t think there was a third person, I dont think it was premeditation, I don’t think he was lured there, I don’t think it was a hate crime.

[video=youtube;N0-v7GFN0BU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-v7GFN0BU[/video]

~

Joseph A Gambardello & Barbara Boyer
The Philadelphia Inquirer
via http://www.post-gazette.com/news/st...d-homicide-investigation/stories/201801110126

"...
the death “confusing” and a “mystery,” describing Bernstein as a student who talked about his promising future and carved a path at the university even before he arrived as a freshman.

...she recruited Bernstein when she was visiting his high school in California. He was a talented writer who had an interest in the sciences. He was taking classes that provided a foundation for pre-med,... She took a special interest in Bernstein, asking to be his adviser after he was accepted to help him maintain his creative talents.

Bernstein was listed as a copy associate on the 2016-2017 editorial board for the Penn Review, the university’s literary magazine featuring poetry, short stories, and art.magazine. In a piece about writing, called “Picking Marbles from Dirt,” he penned, ”I can always go back and edit and tweak what I have written, but it’s those first words that lick the paper that truly determine the story’s ultimate fate.”

Bernstein and Josselyn worked at Kelly Writers House, a center at Penn for creative writers and artists. Even before he arrived at the university as a freshman, Bernstein was published in the Penn Review. Josselyn said she had never seen a student publish work at the school before classes started.
“That was Blaze. He was just getting things done, and figuring out how to get connected and stay involved,” Josselyn said. “He made a lot of friends on campus, many at the Writers House.”

“He was an excellent student in the sciences,” Josselyn said, adding that Bernstein was leaning toward a psychology degree. He spoke openly about the challenges he faced at Penn, but was always optimistic and thoughtful about his classes that best prepared him for his future, she said, describing a student who was appreciative of her work and his opportunities at Penn.

“He had a lot of happiness and satisfaction with life and his life at Penn,” Josselyn said. Had he been depressed or concerned about his grades, she believes he would have talked to her about it.
He loved the written word. He was the incoming managing editor of Penn Appétit, the student-run food magazine, a copy associate for 34th Street, and wrote opinion columns for the Daily Pennsylvanian. He had not declared a major, but spent his freshman year in the Vagelos Molecular Sciences Program.

“I came to know Blaze, and I grieve his passing as I do all student deaths. I realize these losses have the potential to affect many, many members of our Penn family,”

Respectfully bolded by me [RBBM] Blaze's words.

I know this is likely of no comfort to his family and those that loved Blaze, but I do see some postings on various SM that make my heart feel good.
I've seen parents that are following this story say that they have talked to their kids today about how they can always come to them for love and support.
No matter what.
That could be a big thing in the life of a child that has their parent grab them close tonight, opening lines of communication and perhaps avoiding some future unknown tragedy.
I know that this case made me install Life360 and send a message to my late 20's son who lives across the country. Just in case. He will probably roll his eyes and sign onto it for me.
Ripples...
The loss of Blaze is tragic. I must believe that he will live on ripple by ripple, making the world a better place here and there.

I'm thinking the choice of Hobby Lobby is part of a Conservative mindset with the driver.
I'm thinking he really lured Blaze.
And that Blaze didn't have a prayer.

Sometimes people state that the victim made one wrong move or a poor choice.
In Blaze's instance, I don't believe he did anything wrong. Pure evil preyed upon him.

Can anyone explain how he was not found by LE. They did use dogs, right? What if he was not at the park. What if he was brought back to the park during or just before the two days of rainfall we had here in SoCal. It doesn't make sense that he wasn't found a short distance from the path/basketball court earlier.

But why not secretly call 911 or Dad who was 5 minutes away? I'm thinking that he thought he MIGHT be in trouble or sensed something was off but wasn't quite sure. A text along the lines of "with *advertiser censored*. Gng to park. Acting strange kinda scared"

My Dad actually silences his phone at night and even when he didn't, he sleeps through earthquakes.
I would call or text someone I knew would take me seriously, I likely wouldn't call 911.
However, finding someone who would take me seriously AND was reliable enough to answer the phone?
Pretty difficult. I'd probably end up texting my best friend as well.
However, I would be SURE to have atrocious spelling and grammar. She'd be completely freaked out.

It could be this old friend from high school did not know Blaze was gay and Blaze came unto him and he got mad and killed him JMO. I don't think straight guys like gay guys. Again MOO

My brother is gay. Most of his friends are straight. Even his roommate.
I am a straight married female. I don't like it when men OR women hit on me, but I haven't killed any for it.

I would say that is unknowable. But something about that text led his family to believe something was very wrong. I'm also curious as to how and when they became aware of the text.

Blaze's best friend was also close to his family. So I'm guessing they contacted each other when none of them could reach Blaze. I have been thinking about her a lot. I feel so bad for her especially.

I know I post what seems like at random sometimes, but that's kinda like how my mind is. Lol

My latest one is with Blaze being gay and his mother wanting him to always have his location services up, that can make for some pretty awkward discussions later around the dinner table when he's been out cruising or in a hook up. Ya know. Most kids don't want their parents know what they are up to anyway, but even though Blaze was openly gay to his family, I'm sure he didn't want that kind of information known to his folks.

My Dad won't even use Life360 because he doesn't want us kids knowing his business. He's 65!

Thanks, nothing was said about premeditation in that report. Maybe the original poster was incorrect about the KTLA report....?

They said in the press conference announcing his body was found that they didn't believe it was premeditated. I was going to go back and get the link but Websleuths isn't allowing me to search.

“I am incredibly sad that the rest of the world he was going to meet over the years won’t get the chance to know him.”
(Chris Huntwell, a friend of Bernstein’s from high school)

From this article:
https://forward.com/news/national/3...teins-sweet-smile-as-death-is-ruled-homicide/

So sad.

That perfectly sums it up.

Can anyone explain how he was not found by LE. They did use dogs right? What if he was not at the park. What if he was brought back to the park during or just before the two days of rainfall we had here in SoCal. I doesn't make sense that he wasn't found a short distance from the path/basketball court earlier.

It's just not uncommon at all. Blaze was concealed somehow. Whether he was buried or in a pipe, he wasn't visible until it rained. There have been several cases where people were not found in the area they disappeared from. Sherin Mathews is a recent horrendous one that comes to mind. It happens. Nobody and nothing is infallible.

Crime lab expedites blood evidence in the Blaze Bernstein death
By Tony Saavedra & Scott Schwebke, The Orange County Register

Jan 11 '18 @ 8:23 p.m. PT

FTR widely sited, from yesterday
Document reveals insight on investigation into Blaze Bernstein’s death
By Kelly Puente, Scott Schwebke & Alma Fausto, The Orange County Register

PUBLISHED: January 10, 2018 at 10:26 am | UPDATED: January 11, 2018 at 8:16 pm

~

Three Search Warrants Issued in Connection to The Death of Missing OC Teenager
Detectives interviews a friend of 19-year-old Blaze Bernstein, whose body was found on Jan. 9. The friend had dirt under his fingernails and cuts and scratches during the interview

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...ath-of-OC-Teen-Blaze-Bernstein-468791803.html

Sorry I'm new. No more initials.I get it. With that said I think this one is as simple as it seemed and it's over.

Can anyone explain how he was not found by LE. They did use dogs, right? What if he was not at the park. What if he was brought back to the park during or just before the two days of rainfall we had here in SoCal. It doesn't make sense that he wasn't found a short distance from the path/basketball court earlier.

I can't wrap my head around this either! How did the dogs not pick up a scent if BB had been there the entire time? And if he had been moved there after the search -- what kind of perpetrator could be so bold as to return to the scene of the crime to bury the body? Just not making sense to me at all.

Sorry I'm new. No more initials.I get it. With that said I think this one is as simple as it seemed and it's over.

:greetings: .... :wagon: .... :welcome: .... :welcome4:

to Websleuths, trabucojoe!!!

I don't think even the dumbest criminal would kill a person in a park then take the body somewhere else for a couple of days and then creep back into the same park he just killed the person in...in the midst of a search for that person and hide the body back where he originally killed him. The dogs just missed him.

Hey thanks! I appreciate the welcome. I'll try to stay in the guidelines in the future. Initials seemed harmless enough but I get it. :)

5/1 odds the case detail will look like this:

Counts
Violation Date Section Statute OL Violation
01/02/2018 187(a) PC F Murder
01/02/2018 190.2(a)(15) PC F ENH-Special circumstance; Lying in wait

Co Defendants
No co-defendants found for this case

Participants
3 professionals found, displaying all professionals.1
Role Badge Name
District Attorney Murphy, Matthew
District Attorney Trudell, K.
Retained Attorney I'll post odds

https://ocapps.occourts.org/

This is a day old, but interesting. Please forgive if it's a repeat:

Report: Court Document Reveals New Details About Friend of Blaze Bernstein in Homicide Investigation
Posted 9:59 AM, January 11, 2018, by Anthony Kurzweil, Chris Burrous and Chip Yost, Updated at 06:32PM, January 11, 2018

A document obtained by the
Orange County Register Wednesday revealed several new details in the investigation into the death of Blaze Bernstein, the Lake Forest 19-year-old college student whose body was found in an Orange County park a week after he was reported missing.
Investigators met with the friend again two days after Bernstein’s disappearance and noticed scratches on his hands and dirt under his fingernails. The friend, who appeared nervous while talking to detectives, said they came from his involvement in a “fight club,” the Register reported.

Detectives also noticed camping equipment inside the friend’s rental car and said he tried to cover his hands anytime he had to open a door or touch anything during the interview process.
http://ktla.com/2018/01/11/document-reveals-new-details-in-blaze-bernstein-death-investigation/

In regards to the searchers missing his body I used to think the same thing until I went camping in a local mining town a few days after a woman went missing from the campground (she had Alzheimers and wandered off while her husband was in the shower.) Dozens and dozens of LE, professional SAR, dogs, mounted SAR and volunteers searched for weeks (it was a pretty big deal because her daughter was marred to a famous musician.) I couldn't believe the amount of people in the area searching; it really was incredible. She was eventually found, almost 2 months later, a very, very short distance from the campground she wandered away from. Unfortunately, it isn't too uncommon for searchers to miss bodies when they are searching, especially if they are concealed.

I'm thinking the choice of Hobby Lobby is part of a Conservative mindset with the driver.
I'm thinking he really lured Blaze.
And that Blaze didn't have a prayer.

Sometimes people state that the victim made one wrong move or a poor choice.
In Blaze's instance, I don't believe he did anything wrong. Pure evil preyed upon him.
I agree with this 100 percent!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If it was a shallow grave and heavy rains partially uncovered the body, I wonder if an odor is what caused them to search again in that location.

I'd be willing to bet that Blaze had a Youtube channel and a twitter. Has anyone found them? Maybe not, but sure would seem so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader