Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was expecting to do a runner on his own (SO arrested him, because they believed he was going to run..see previous thread, around when the arrest videos began)....I have a gut feeling that his parents were not, (even if they could), about to finance his flight from LE, but that's not supported by any facts, etc...

Whether his demeanor with LE ('nerfing', btw, I hope someone contacts the Sheriff's office, so they can remove that 'occupation'..just ridiculous!), or his possible drug use, that mugshot makes him look like many other harden criminals with (imho) dead/hardened eyes..Yes, I realize ppl often posture because they know their mugshot will be seen, but during his arrest (perp walk), he didn't seem very bothered by his situation..(which makes his appearing 'nervous' to LE all the more surprising, telling, unusual)...

I think that due to the amount of media coverage, and national interest by the public, this case has garnered, that SW is likely better off in jail, as he is (don't laugh, I'm serious), far safer there than on the outside at this point...(the more media coverage, the wider the viewership, the wider the viewership, the more likely he comes to the attention of unstable nutters...the more unstable nutters whose attention he draws, the higher the likelihood one of the does something irrational to harm him...(JMHO)...No, jail isn't fun, yes, jail is dangerous, but in all likelihood, in jail he will be in solitary confinement/protective custody...or even on suicide watch, which means a deputy or CO will be required to watch him 24/7, typically in several hour shifts, where they must 'note' his condition & what he is doing at specific times (regularly) during their shift...

Lastly, sadly such a high bond may well be within his parent's easy reach...&...Yes, I agree with his possible doing a runner, but if he was supported by his parent's why haven't they come forward in the media (not persecuting or drawing them in necessarily, just surprised we haven't seen them in the media as yet advocating on the side of their son)...

Curious, whose income/property valuation (SW'a or Parent's) is used in setting bond or is it at all a consideration? I thought the courts had to look at and take into consideration the financial status of any defendant and their ability to pay bond when setting the bond..(if that made sense)...he's an adult so wouldn't they go by his income or is it his & theirs because he's still a dependent due to his college attendance?

All of the above is simply my own opinions, views, beliefs, theories, thoughts, and Big Fish Tales; unless otherwise directed to a URL or other information source.

Maybe SW is a Trust Fund Baby and has his own money and bail isn't set in his parents income or worth?

I agree. As an Orange County resident, I can say that most live beyond their means out of pure insecurity to keep up with the Joneses. My father is a successful financial advisor and has always told me that the ones who showboat what they “have” probably don’t have *****. It all stems from insecurity - I’m with you, it’s the OC way.

Looking at it from a nature vs. nurture standpoint, you have what seems to be two completely different kids - ironically, the suspect comes from the family therapist who, as a profession, teaches others how to deal with life and work through their own issues and feelings. Then you have Blaze coming from what seems to be a lovely, accepting Jewish family. It’s all very interesting from a psychological standpoint.

It really is.

Btw, I've found a lot of dysfunction in the lives of about of mental health professionals.

The thread is going pretty good tonite. Thanks folks !!

So just a couple of mentions (because you KNOW I have to say something ;))

Friends, family of victims/perps are off-limits (other than what is in MSM), so no sleuthing of SW's mom. What you sleuth behind the scenes is up to you, but you can't post about it here.

Also, Websleuths does not condone or promote violence of any kind, so alluding to prison rape is not allowed.

Thanks to all for still being here for Blaze and to wait while justice takes it course.

:tyou:

Thanks for mentioning the prison rape thing. I don't like that and glad it's not condoned.

To add to this, I see many are quick to suspect this was an intentional murder... but what if it were an accident? What if it was an accidental death due to autoerotic asphyxiation? Until more facts are released it’s all speculative. He could look the way he does because he didn’t know what to do. I don’t know if he indeed did visit his attorney, but if so maybe it was because he was trying to determine what to do. MOO

ETA: I think it may have been an accident or a crime of passion. Afterward he may have been so out of sorts about what he had done that he went completely out of his mind with anxiety and self loathing. When something very traumatic happens to people they often have the same look. After what happened to me in the Army, I found an old badge with my picture on it that was taken just after the traumatic incident and I looked mentally ill. I had sanpaku eyes. At first glance I would have looked deranged. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't see this as accidental at all. And how many young people are really I to that?

Yes thanks it was posted on the booking info. That's to avoid the media frenzy. I've seen it. Little tiny area with about 10 chair in front of a monitor. It's not open to the public.

Ugh. I guess I won't be going.

Where did you see that he will be arraigned there?

I'm sure money is no problem with his family living in Newport Beach. I'm hoping he will not get bail or set really high because of the seriousness of the crime and he's a possible flight risk. A threat to the community. They could set bail as long as he is wearing monitoring ankle bracelet. Ugh

I don't think there's a chance in hell he will be given bail.

Has it been established that SW attends or recently attended college? And, do we know from what high school he graduated? Sorry, if I missed it somewhere.

The denouement is not surprising, but remains heartbreakingly sad. Both men, so young and full of promise, to have their lives end this way, is tragic.

At that time of the night? I have to disagree. Why would the two of them have went into the park? They could have talked in the car. I think they went into the park to have sex.

Another possibility is that Sam got scary or violent while they were hanging in the hobby lobby parking lot. It's really close to the park. If Blaze was going to run away from Sam, or just innocently walk home from the parking lot there, it would be logical to go through the part of the park near where he was found. He crosses one road, another parking lot (Ralph's) and then a straight line through that end of the park leads to his house at Palazzo circle, though he still got a lot more to go through the residential neighborhoods. If he were running in fear though it would make more sense to stay in well lit places and not head into trails, woods, and a park.

But by far the most likely is into the park for sex...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another possibility is that Sam got scary or violent while they were hanging in the hobby lobby parking lot. It's really close to the park. If Blaze was going to run away from Sam, or just innocently walk home from the parking lot there, it would be logical to go through the part of the park near where he was found. He crosses one road, another parking lot (Ralph's) and then a straight line through that end of the park leads to his house at Palazzo circle, though he still got a lot more to go through the residential neighborhoods. If he were running in fear though it would make more sense to stay in well lit places and not head into trails, woods, and a park.

But by far the most likely is into the park for sex...

It seems to me that if he was running away to get help, he'd head towards the Denny's or the Ralph's, not the dark, closed park area.

I think he went to that park table area to have some privacy, but then things went sideways, tragically and senselessly. :rose:

Remember how SW reported that Blaze 'seemed depressed but never said anything about wanting to hurt himslef'. Trying to imply it was suicide. Ughhh :mad:

Just re-reading the affidavit info, could the 'large plastic bin' found on his back seat be one of those ones with wheels and that's how he transported the body to the back of the park. The report said this was found "at one point" in the investigation, possible before he had a chance to get rid of it.

Could have killed Blaze at one of the previous places they went (or in the car) but obviously didn't want to be driving the body around, so left it in the park. Went to hopefully find a shovel and came back at 3:30am to bury him. Or buried him initially, then went back to check how good of a job he did, or maybe he left something behind. Multiple air and land searches didn't find the grave, he did a good of hiding it.

Makes me feel a bit ill.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2018/01/10/body-of-missing-19-year-old-found-in-borrego-park-case-being-investigated-as-homicide/amp/

There was a reporter claiming Blaze was strangled but I really don't think so. Maybe Sam or someone connected to him started that rumor to make the accidental death theory possible. The fact that they are not going to reveal the condition of the body sends a message to me that it was in bad shape. I think the rumors we see on SM about stab wounds to face, neck and torso are more likely than the strangulation theory. That the murder was fueled by rage and passion seems pretty clear. None of SW's statements to LE show any forethought.

Just my opinion of course.

I think as a little time goes on, SW will actually confess. Maybe not the whole truth yet, but will confess to killing BB. I doubt this will ever go to trial. jmo

Round up of my sleuthing/surfing/musing before turning out the light:

Re: Nerf:
-The Nerf Game app development company is based in the UK and so probably not related.
-The Nerf Party Co might be a part-time gig for college kids on the weekends...who knows?
-The other interpretations of nerf meanings from Urban dictionary definitions would mean that SW was being cagey and lewd whereas LE described him as cooperative.

Re: Sweatshirt
-the Keep the Peace charity website mentioned earlier is "place-keeping" website (text blocks are in latin, links are circular or non functional) perhaps protecting a domain name or just slated for future expansion. I did find links to a design company responsible for the KTP logo artwork so maybe they mocked up a website as part of the package? I can imagine a very small print-run of that sweater.

Re: Bail of $3 Million

- Zillow puts the family home at being worth at least this amount
- Other superficial online indications of family's financial capacity seem extremely buoyant.

Re: Internet footprint
-I think the defendant's family may have engaged the services of a professional web content scrubber like Reputation.com. These companies can find online content and take it down or peg it with other non relevant content so it doesn't appear high up in searches. This is just a theory based on my own experiences with search terms showing fewer hits and less relevant material over the last few days.

My general theory of what went down:
-SW contacts BB to see if he wants to smoke a spliff. The score a bit of weed in the Hobby lobby carpark and then go park in Borrego Park. It was a fine night and no smoking allowed in rentals so I think the two boys walked across the grass field to the picnic tables, lit up, and chatted. Old wounds? re-buffed advances? Hell, even an argument about the politics of Hobby lobby could get heated, but I do think it was sexual aggression/refusal. A fight, the smaller held down by the larger...for too long by the throat...quick panicked disposal, followed by a later return to the scene to be a bit more thorough.

Remember when SW said that Blaze was the one who seemed "upset and depressed?" Well, I'm beginning to think that it was SW himself that was the one who was exhibiting these things! Blaze's family stated that he seemed very happy about the future and going back to school. He had just cooked his family dinner. These are not signs that he was upset or depressed. I think that SW was having a meltdown/breakdown and reached out to Blaze. Blaze, being the kind person that he was, was simply trying to help him. Then, in the midst of things, SW tried to have sex with Blaze and Blaze refused, therefore causing SW to fly into a rage and thus kill poor Blaze.

If Sam ends up confessing and there is no trial, will the cause of death remain private? Is the autopsy a public document that would have to be sealed ?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/on-air...de-Victim-Arrested_Los-Angeles-469104873.html
paraphrasd
Hetty Chang reports for NBCLA
video includes, standing outside the jail, a classmate of suspect's, who doesn't remember seeing them together at school ever. The suspect was a loner according to her.

~

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/13/high-school-friend-arrested-in-death-upenn-student.html

"Detectives used Bernstein's Snapchat account to locate Woodward, Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes told the L.A. Times."

~

Suspect arrested for alleged murder of UPenn student, mom says 'revenge is empty'
http://abcnews.go.com/US/person-custody-alleged-murder-upenn-student/story?id=52280922

Bernstein, 19, a University of Pennsylvania sophomore who was home in California on a holiday break, was found dead Tuesday in a shallow grave in a park near his parents’ Lake Forest home.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/13/high-school-friend-arrested-in-death-upenn-student.html

Woodward was taken into custody for investigation of homicide after DNA evidence linked him to the death of Bernstein, who was a sophomore at UPenn in Philadelphia.

Woodward listed his occupation as “Nerf games,” according to the jail’s website.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/on-air...de-Victim-Arrested_Los-Angeles-469104873.html

video includes a schoolmate of Blaze and the suspect's, who doesn't remember them as friends at school. The suspect was a loner according to her.

~

"Detectives used Bernstein's Snapchat account to locate Woodward, Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes told the L.A. Times."

~

Suspect arrested for alleged murder of UPenn student, mom says 'revenge is empty'
http://abcnews.go.com/US/person-custody-alleged-murder-upenn-student/story?id=52280922

If only they had continued to have no contact :(

From FindHG's link (Thanks hon)

He added that both the Bernstein and Woodward families "are good people" whose lives "have been turned upside down" as a result of the alleged fatal attack.Initially, Barnes said that Woodward was cooperative and answered questions by homicide investigators about Bernstein’s disappearance.
But that questioning broke down and Woodward soon requested an attorney at which point the interview stopped, Barnes said.

What's more, soon after Bernstein went missing, Barnes said that Woodward allegedly changed h the color of his hair.

Scott, is that you?

The gaps during questioning and also DNA evidence matches, Barnes said, led investigators to levy charges against Woodward.It was ultimately DNA evidence that helped investigators initiate the arrest of Woodward.
"We were able to today, through DNA, to tie Mr. Woodward to Mr. Bernstein," Barnes said.

Jeanne Pepper@bernsteinmom

Finally. My thoughts are: Revenge is empty. It will never bring back my son. My only hopes are that he will never have the opportunity to hurt anyone else again and that something meaningful can come from the senseless act of Blaze's murder. Now Do Good for Blaze Bernstein

paraphrasd
Hetty Chang reports for NBCLA
video includes, standing outside the jail, a classmate of suspect's, who doesn't remember seeing them together at school ever. The suspect was a loner according to her.

~

~

(Interesting...)

Thank you for your lovely post.

The reason the hair is important it's a very crucial clue to this case.

Starting at the video 1:30 mark CBS news reporter Michelle Gile reporting says that the neighbors said SW dyed and shaved his head shortly after BB went missing.

https://youtu.be/Ic1rGH55sCY

Omg, didn't Ana ask if he might pull a Scott Peterson?! (Or did I imagine that?)
(Eta: specifically re his hair)

New, Disturbing Details Emerge About Suspect Held For Killing Friend
January 12, 2018 at 10:30 pm
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...emerge-about-suspect-held-for-killing-friend/

~

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...rego-Park-Pennsylvania-Student-469034073.html

~

[video=youtube;zsPlGLMTcTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPlGLMTcTs[/video]

(Sorry for repost, been out sick, just catching up)

Wow...

"Bernstein’s parents are too devastated to talk on camera, but his mother posted a Tweet Friday evening.

“Revenge is empty. It will never bring back my son. My only hopes are that he will never have the opportunity to hurt anyone else again and that something meaningful can come from the senseless act of Blaze’s murder. Now Do Good for Blaze Bernstein.”

It’s been reported that Bernstein’s funeral will be held Monday."

Wow.

"Revenge is empty."

These are sets of words I will take with me, as I have from other cases, for example "Do not let hate infect your heart".

( O/T:

‘Don’t let hate infect your heart’: Baton Rouge cop’s tragic post days before death
https://nypost.com/2016/07/18/dont-...ton-rouge-cops-tragic-post-days-before-death/

"Montrell Jackson, who was among the Baton Rouge police officers gunned down on Sunday, penned a passionate Facebook post about the struggles of being a black cop in the wake of the July 5 Alton Sterling shooting.")

[video=youtube;KLKffuwUbMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=KLKffuwUbMQ[/video]
paraphrased Stacy Butler of CBSLA reports 'that some say they're finding clues all over social media...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayellekay