CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. Respectfully. These were grown women we were talking about. Not grade school children who would need time being prepared mommy or daddy had died and mommy or daddy was going to remarry. I do not believe Bob owed his middle aged adult children any emotional preparing for decisions he made in his life. If they felt he was not properly caring for their mother while she was dying the time to do something about it was while their mother was alive. Not blasting it to the world and slamming him while he was missing if they felt their daddy betrayed their mommy and did not have the right to carry on in life without their mother.

As an adult Bob had the right to date or marry whomever he wanted.

jmo

My parents have been married 63 years and I'm 58..I would need some preparation if my Dad was going to be married again if my Mom passed away. It's only natural..

My parents have been married 63 years and I'm 58..I would need some preparation if my Dad was going to be married again if my Mom passed away. It's only natural..

I understand. I don't think you would be blasting that all over the internet if one of your parents was missing. Maybe to your closest confidants but discussing it where the discussion should be about finding your missing parent.

When my dad got remarried (they are celebrating 20 years this month. :) ) The remarriage did not bother me so much as it did my dad went through the entire official Catholic procedure to have my parents marriage annulled so he and my step mom could marry in the Catholic church. It took me a long time to sort that out, but I finally realized it was not about his marriage to my mother, but rather his beliefs and to follow the doctrine of his faith AND the person he was and is still in love with.

Respectfully, I think too much 'emotion' over hurts has come out with this. I think we need to look at the facts to find Bob. For me if that meant admitting some of my faults or shortcomings if my dad was missing so be it, but I would do like Mark Klaas said, get yourself cleared first so LE isn't chasing the wrong routes.

JMO

OK, excuse my wording..Whether it was a mobile home or trailer she lived on her sons property in it. She is in a much better living arrangement now, right?
No one answered my question..Is she destitute? Does she live on SSI? Is she asking the daughters to support her too? All I've heard is poor Fontelle. I'd like to know more about her character because the daughters are being raked through the mud and they have lost their father. It would be nice to see BOTH sides...IMHO

Better living arrangement, that is your opinion.

Partial timeline including what was available online in OC public records regarding probate filings.

Jun, 2002
  • Bob and his first wife Georgia move from Monrovia to Placentia
Mar, 2008
  • Bob’s first wife Georgia, of 59 years, passed away after a prolonged illness
Apr 1, 2008
  • Georgia M. Harrod – “Harrod - Safekeeping Will” filed in Orange County, CA (Probate)
Early 2009
  • Bob decided he needed some time away from his daughters and he asked them to leave him alone for six months
May 2009?
  • Orange County Social Services conducted an investigation of suspected elder financial abuse several months before Bob went missing. Family was told that Bob did not want to pursue the matter
End of May, 2009
  • Fontelle’s daughter, who grew up listening to stories about her mother's first love (Bob), found Bob's number and dialed it so Fontelle could speak to Bob
Tues, June 23, 2009
  • Fontelle came to visit Bob Harrod in Placentia for the first time, after having spoken by phone for several weeks prior
Mon, June 29, 2009
  • Bob and Fontelle went to get a marriage license in Fullerton and decided to get married there at the courthouse. (Per Bob’s daughter, they did not tell either of their families about the marriage for a few days.)
Tues, July 7, 2009
  • Fontelle returned to her Missouri home to pack up her belongings and make the move to Placentia
Date(s)?
  • Per Bob’s daughter R, a 45-year-old woman Bob had become acquainted with had borrowed money from him and called him in the past few weeks saying she had no money and no place to live
Date?
  • Orange County Social Services contacted again by Bob’s family regarding suspected elder financial abuse
Mon, July 27, 2009
  • Bob went missing
Wed, July 29, 2009
  • Investigator from OC Social Services showed up at Bob’s house to conduct investigation into suspected elder financial abuse
Fri, August 7, 2009
  • Orange County Probate Court Case filing. Type: Conservatorship of Estate Only. Petition for appointment of conservatorship filed by PB and RB
August 28, 2009
  • Trust Petition filed by PB and RB – “Harrod – Trust”

BBM. I have to respectfully disagree. I see the exact opposite. I see Bobs blood family protecting what the rightfully see as "theirs". Fontelle loses here. She lost the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

Do we know if Bob had made any changes to his will - legally, or did Bobs family do what they could to prevent that from happening? I do not see as who has the most to gain. I see it as who had the most to lose and Bobs family was apparently not at all welcoming to Bobs new wife.

JMO

He disappeared before he could follow-through.

Notes written in Bob Harrod's hand found around the house indicate Bob Harrod intended to put his new wife's name on various accounts, Loomis said. Police say that, including properties and other assets, Bob Harrod was a multi-millionaire.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html

Let’s think about this for a moment.

The 3 daughters, who live in 3 different towns, went to Bob’s house Sunday, July 26, 2009. They didn’t go to help Bob prepare the house for Fontelle’s arrival, or to celebrate that he was happy again. According to police, they argued about money. According to Fontelle, Bob told her the daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include Fontelle in the estate.

The daughters left and I believe it was not on good terms. That Sunday evening, Bob spoke to Fontelle in MO by phone. Most likely, he told her exactly what happened with his daughters that day, and what he thought about that.

The next day, the SIL was at the house between ~9:30AM and ~6PM. At ~2:40PM he leaves to go to Home Depot, arriving back at ~3:30PM. The housekeeper had a scheduled appointment for most likely 3PM, as agreed to with Bob that morning when he spoke to her and told her to come. Bob was having her clean the house because Fontelle was due to arrive back in 2 days. Bob was expecting the housekeeper and I do not think he would have willingly left the house if she was due to arrive in just 20 min. If we accept that timeline, someone other than the SIL was able to get Bob out of the house in 20 minutes, between 2:40PM and 3PM. And we have to accept that the oldest daughter somehow mistakenly put on Bob’s missing report and posted on a forum ~2 weeks later that between 11AM and 12:00 Noon she heard her BIL say he was going to the hardware store while speaking to Bob on the phone.

Fontelle arrived at Bob’s house in CA from MO that Wed. Bob’s 2 daughters and the media were there (3rd daughter had left and gone to nephew‘s house by that time). Then the investigator from Social Services who had been contacted by Bob’s family (for the 2nd time in ~3 months), showed up to do an investigation. Most likely the daughters contacted social services regarding Bob giving his money to the hairdresser and perhaps after they found out Bob married Fontelle (daughter posted they weren‘t told about the marriage for a few days).

The daughters and Fontelle then spoke to the investigator from Social Services. I’ll bet Fontelle got an earful from the daughters and was probably confused and scared. According to one article, that Wed evening, Detective Loomis spoke to Fontelle at length. Fontelle most likely told Loomis in more detail what Bob told her Sunday evening about the argument with the daughters.

The daughters most likely expected Fontelle would go back to MO in a few days, and probably urged her to do so. Fontelle said several days after Bob went missing his daughters came to the house and told Fontelle she wasn’t entitled to any of their father’s assets. Instead of leaving, Fontelle remained in Bob’s house and changed the locks. Why? Because the man that she loved and had just married went missing. Because she probably detected that something was not right with the situation. Because Bob needed an advocate looking out for him.

Since then, we had two of the daughters belittling their father on a forum, one daughter and the SIL in Oct 2009 who would not comment for a story on their father, and we have another daughter who in Feb 2010 said she was reluctant to talk to the media because she’s been unfairly represented. Time is being spent by them to monitor and post on these forums. Yet a Myspace page and Facebook page setup for Bob to help get the word out, and turned over to the daughters in 2009 both sit out there on the internet with not a single update on them. Why?

BBM

The daughters also posted that one of them told Fontelle she could not stay in the house. They said that came from their attorney's mouth.............but either the attorney never said it or they misunderstood, or the attorney changed her stance.

Partial timeline including what was available online in OC public records regarding probate filings.

Jun, 2002
Mar, 2008
Apr 1, 2008
  • Georgia M. Harrod – “Harrod - Safekeeping Will” filed in Orange County, CA (Probate)
Early 2009
  • Bob decided he needed some time away from his daughters and he asked them to leave him alone for six months
May 2009?
  • Orange County Social Services conducted an investigation of suspected elder financial abuse several months before Bob went missing. Family was told that Bob did not want to pursue the matter
End of May, 2009
  • Fontelle’s daughter, who grew up listening to stories about her mother's first love (Bob), found Bob's number and dialed it so Fontelle could speak to Bob
Tues, June 23, 2009
  • Fontelle came to visit Bob Harrod in Placentia for the first time, after having spoken by phone for several weeks prior
Mon, June 29, 2009
  • Bob and Fontelle went to get a marriage license in Fullerton and decided to get married there at the courthouse. (Per Bob’s daughter, they did not tell either of their families about the marriage for a few days.)
Tues, July 7, 2009
  • Fontelle returned to her Missouri home to pack up her belongings and make the move to Placentia
Date(s)?
  • Per Bob’s daughter R, a 45-year-old woman Bob had become acquainted with had borrowed money from him and called him in the past few weeks saying she had no money and no place to live
Date?
  • Orange County Social Services contacted again by Bob’s family regarding suspected elder financial abuse
Mon, July 27, 2009
  • Bob went missing
Wed, July 29, 2009
  • Investigator from OC Social Services showed up at Bob’s house to conduct investigation into suspected elder financial abuse
Fri, August 7, 2009
  • Orange County Probate Court Case filing. Type: Conservatorship of Estate Only. Petition for appointment of conservatorship filed by PB and RB
August 28, 2009

Why do you keep checking the probate filings?

Again, we do not even know if Mr. Harrod was being stubborn. We do not know if the will story is true or if the daughters were really upset about their father's remarriage and plans to include Fontelle in his estate.
If the daughters were upset about his remarriage and the plans he had for changing his estate, then they had no business going over there and arguing with him.

I think this is exactly why the Sunday evening meeting took place. If there was no new wife, why rock the boat? Now that there is someone new in the picture and he states he is putting her on his accounts, if it was me, I would definitely find out where this leaves me.
I am not saying I think they did anything to him, it did seem at the beginning that they truly felt that he had just left, imo. I am really perplexed at this whole disappearance. There is only one reason for him to disappear at that particular time. The new wife. But, where is he and what happened?

IIRC, Bob had given the hairdresser in excess of $50,000. There was an investigation into that long before Bob went missing. Even his good friend had a hinky feeling about her. We also don't know if she was left anything in Bob's own will.

I don't think we should count her out quite yet. And I don't believe LE has either.

What concerns me about the missing $50,000. Where is this info coming from? Court docs or heresay? Has it been proven this money was in fact given to the hairdresser? Where charges for 'senior abuse' or something like that ever pressed against the hairdresser? Or is it possible this was a loan from Bob to the hair dresser? Or is it possible Bob did not give this money to the hair dresser and stashed it somewhere and if he left of his own accord could be living off this money? In other words, is the money unaccounted for or can it be proven it was given to the hair dresser?

jmo

I agree the timeline is muddy. But if the family harmed Bob, don't you believe they would have had that nailed down to the minute?

How many minutes of your days could you account for if asked? Most people, going about their lives, don't really pay attention. Unless they have murdered someone. Then, they would probably have it down 100%. Or at least what they wanted people to believe! I see no evidence of that here.

BBM

They are not professional hitmen. Crimes of passion always have loose ends.

They spoke the truth of their father and people just couldnt handle it!! We are supposed to love and respect our parents and speak highly of them BUT what do you do when you see you mother dying and your father will not spend the money to make her dying days more comfortable and peaceful. Would'nt you call him stingy, frugal, a tightwad..This is the only thing I remember reading about Mr Harrod but that would be enough for me. Not every father deserves respect. Yes, it is sad that he went missing. The daughters were still mourning the loss of their mother when he decides to marry someone from the past and he doesnt even prepare the daughters. This must really hurt all three daughters. They must be torn because they have had to deal with a distant father and now miss him because he is missing.

The daughters are very lucky to have such a passionate advocate speaking for them.
Every family has issues. No parents are perfect. However, I would be damned if I would speak out against my missing father on public forums when that man is GONE!! Tell your best friend, or your sister, but for God's sake why would you broadcast your negative feelings all over the internet when your father could be dead??? Im sorry, but that whole business turned my opinion around 360'.

They spoke the truth of their father and people just couldnt handle it!! We are supposed to love and respect our parents and speak highly of them BUT what do you do when you see you mother dying and your father will not spend the money to make her dying days more comfortable and peaceful. Would'nt you call him stingy, frugal, a tightwad..This is the only thing I remember reading about Mr Harrod but that would be enough for me. Not every father deserves respect. Yes, it is sad that he went missing. The daughters were still mourning the loss of their mother when he decides to marry someone from the past and he doesnt even prepare the daughters. This must really hurt all three daughters. They must be torn because they have had to deal with a distant father and now miss him because he is missing.

BBM-I am just coming up to speed on this case, so please be patient. Do you mean emotionally distant?

Mr. Harrod asked for a break from his children and set up a new life for himself before he went missing. That is what I am seeing here, as someone new to the thread. So far, what appears to me to be undisputed is that his family was very concerned about how he spent his money. I am NOT saying that was all they were concerned about-I have no idea of course what their day to day was like. I can see that twice they contacted Social Services in the belief that he was being taken advantage of by someone. The only time Mr. Harrod was able to respond to that charge, he apparently adequately defended himself from the inference.

This is what confuses me-the money is still his, provided he is not deceased. The money was his to do with as he wanted before he went missing. I mean, it stinks that he married someone new without adequately taking into consideration the feelings of his children. Who are we to say that he did not adequately mourn what he had with his wife, however? I have seen this same story played out with men his age-they do not want to try and cope without a partner at their stage of life.

I guess, if the children have adequate proof that their father was of unsound mind, they should bring it forward.

If not, this money is not theirs. It is his. And his wife's.

Sorry for the long post, but I will go back and re-read the finer points of the threads...it seems so unlikely that he just walked away, but if the 50K is unaccounted for (a point that Cubby raises) well then that might have provided him with enough money to get his 6 month sebbatical without having to ask for it again....JMVHO

Excellent post believe. I don't know when it was discovered the 50 grand was unaccounted for. It may have been from after the 6 month sebaticcal.
Also an investigation into possible elder abuse by the hair dresser, IIUC, (if I understand correctly) has since been closed by Social Services is what I am seeing.

I am going to add/highlight in color.

quote=cloudajo:

Jun, 2002
Mar, 2008
Apr 1, 2008
Early 2009
May 2009?
End of May, 2009
Tues, June 23, 2009
Mon, June 29, 2009
JULY 2, 2009 - Fontelle and Bob advise their families of their marriage

Tues, July 7, 2009
Date(s)?
Sometime in 2008 or Earlier - according to posts by CA Exile the hairdresser or '45 year old woman Bob had become acquanted with (they are the same) was Georgia's hair dresser and this woman had taken care of both Bobs and Georgia's hair. Did Georgia's hair while she was sick and unable to leave the home, but now in the summer of 2009 this woman- someone who knew both their father AND MOTHER is suddenly a problem? And about the time their dad remarried....So suddenly TWO suspicious women, Fontelle AND the hair dresser are taking advantage of their dad? :waitasec:

Date?
Mon, July 27, 2009
  • Bob went missing
Wed, July 29, 2009
Is the above investigation into suspected elder financial abuse still open or has it since been closed?

Fri, August 7, 2009

August 28, 2009
Did this petition have to do with their mothers trust and the will they knew about since spring of 2008? It is now 16 or so months later? And they are just now filing court proceedings regarding their mothers will this many months later? If so why the delay, and why wasn't their mothers will and all that done in the months preceeding her death in 2008? :waitasec:

What efforts were made for the mothers will to be read between the time and date of her passing in Mar 2008 and the family argument the night before Bob went missing?

I can't say my hinky meter isn't raised when Bob married he suddenly had TWO 'suspicious' women in his life, one of which their mother knew. and the timing of this and why the will and all that was not taken care of long before Fontelle ever came into the picture. The urgency matches the timing of the marriage. Hmmmmmmm.............

JMO

_
These are just some examples of the differences about the time of Mr. Harrod's disappearance. There are more.

The SIL's Home Depot receipt is stamped at 3:04 pm.

Daughter J states her father disappears around noon or 1 pm.

Reporter: “J says her husband was with her dad, at his home yesterday. He went to the hardware store alone. When he came back…”

J: “My dad was gone.”

Reporter: “What time?”

J: “We’re thinking maybe 1, noon?”

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/watch/...9354&src=front

~11:00AM-12:00? – Daughter PB says she called her father and heard her BIL say he was going to the hardware store, and her father “responded in a favorable way.” ( IS post and since removed )

July 28, 2009~~ Daughter J posted on ROTW at 1:50 pm and says that her father has been missing for about 28 hours. That would put the time of Mr. Harrod's disappearance at about 10:00 am on July 27, 2009.

http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/166/53721?page=0

Robert’s son-in-law told cops that in the late morning on July 27, 2009, he had left Robert to run errands at the hardware store, and when he returned, Robert was gone.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=67544

Robert Harrod was last seen at his residence on July 27, 2009 at 11:00 A.M. in the city of Placentia. When a family member returned to the house at approximately 1:00 P.M., Harrod was gone.

http://placentia.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=102

Harrod was last seen at his residence in the 500 block of Carnation Drive Placentia, California sometime between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on July 27, 2009. His son-in-law went to the store and when he returned at 1:00 p.m., he found the front door locked, the housekeeper waiting on the porch, and Harrod missing.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/harrod_robert.html

IMO these discrepancies are crucial. Why wouldnt the wife of the last person to see Mr. Harrod get the time straight? "We're thinking, maybe one...noon?" Really? Thats almost a two hour difference! Why?

I have to say I am a little saddened that we (WS) are going down the same paths that we all have been down before.
It is kind of like talking about politics or religion, you (me) are not going to change another's opinion.
Someone doesn't like what the daughter's said or didn't say. Okay.
Someone doesn't like that Fontelle is still waiting for a man who most likely is deceased. Okay.
I don't think Fontelle or the daughter's had anything to do with Robert H going missing.

I have stated before that I lean toward believing the hairdresser had something to do with his disappearance.

IMO:
However much weight is given to discredit the daughters, I do not think they had anything at all to do with their dad's disappearance.

Having read all the posts and been on the IS thread last year also,
I think they had strong feelings about their dad. He was emotionally distant, to use that term and they felt he did not do enough for their mom when she was so ill for so long.
That is their perception.
They also knew that the hairdresser received sums of money from their dad.
It was his money. But, he was 81 yrs old and it did seem that the hairdresser
was taking advantage of him, to the tune of over $50,000.
This being the reason Senior Services called in.

As far as I could tell, when their dad married Fontelle, they were thrilled he would have someone new in his life, someone he genuinely seemed to care for.

They wanted to get their mother's seperate trust paperwork completed. Their dad had promised it would be done. It kept getting put off since March 2008.
I have no idea what was said at the Sunday meeting of dad and daughters, but
I am sensing they felt dad was acting like dad, more of the same.
...i.e.. the paperwork wasn't ready, he didn't seem to feel it was all that important...

IMO: You can love your parents. You can be critical of your parents.

The three daughters knew that their dad would be changing his finances to include Fontelle, as it should be.
They also knew that their dad had a seperate trust just as their mom did.

Saying all this, I would really like to get back to :
what can we do to help discover what happened to Robert Harrod.

I can send emails to media outlets, talk with the detective again.
Call OC Register reporters, see what their thinking is.

What does everyone think we can do to help?

I have to say I am a little saddened that we (WS) are going down the same paths that we all have been down before.
It is kind of like talking about politics or religion, you (me) are not going to change another's opinion.
Someone doesn't like what the daughter's said or didn't say. Okay.
Someone doesn't like that Fontelle is still waiting for a man who most likely is deceased. Okay.
I don't think Fontelle or the daughter's had anything to do with Robert H going missing.

I have stated before that I lean toward believing the hairdresser had something to do with his disappearance.

IMO:
However much weight is given to discredit the daughters, I do not think they had anything at all to do with their dad's disappearance.

Having read all the posts and been on the IS thread last year also,
I think they had strong feelings about their dad. He was emotionally distant, to use that term and they felt he did not do enough for their mom when she was so ill for so long.
That is their perception.
They also knew that the hairdresser received sums of money from their dad.
It was his money. But, he was 81 yrs old and it did seem that the hairdresser
was taking advantage of him, to the tune of over $50,000.
This being the reason Senior Services called in.

As far as I could tell, when their dad married Fontelle, they were thrilled he would have someone new in his life, someone he genuinely seemed to care for.

They wanted to get their mother's seperate trust paperwork completed. Their dad had promised it would be done. It kept getting put off since March 2008.
I have no idea what was said at the Sunday meeting of dad and daughters, but
I am sensing they felt dad was acting like dad, more of the same.
...i.e.. the paperwork wasn't ready, he didn't seem to feel it was all that important...

IMO: You can love your parents. You can be critical of your parents.

The three daughters knew that their dad would be changing his finances to include Fontelle, as it should be.
They also knew that their dad had a seperate trust just as their mom did.

Saying all this, I would really like to get back to :
what can we do to help discover what happened to Robert Harrod.

I can send emails to media outlets, talk with the detective again.
Call OC Register reporters, see what their thinking is.

What does everyone think we can do to help?

Dreamweaver, I respect your opinion. I agree we all care and hope that Mr. Harrod will be found somehow.

However, WS is a forum where we all discuss the evidence, and put forth our opinions on how we see it. This is not a support forum for Mr. Harrod's daughters. I and many others will do whatever we can to help, and we have...including you! What about the Facebook page that was never updated, as well as the myspace page? These are free tools that would get Mr. Harrod's story out there...FB alone has millions of subscribers! You know that old adage about helping those that help themselves...

PS. I sent a friend request to the FB page...no answer.

Dreamweaver, I respect your opinion. I agree we all care and hope that Mr. Harrod will be found somehow.

However, WS is a forum where we all discuss the evidence, and put forth our opinions on how we see it. This is not a support forum for Mr. Harrod's daughters. I and many others will do whatever we can to help, and we have...including you! What about the Facebook page that was never updated, as well as the myspace page? These are free tools that would get Mr. Harrod's story out there...FB alone has millions of subscribers! You know that old adage about helping those that help themselves...

suzyq211:
I agree. This is a support forum for Robert Harrod, not his daughters and not Fontelle and not the hairdresser. (not that anyone has supprorted her)

You are correct. I did set up the FB page and the myspace page. Once I did so, I turned them over to the daughters and asked them to change the passwords.
I dont know why the pages were not utilized.

(thinking... make a new fb page?_will give it some thought)

(thinking... make a new fb page?_will give it some thought)

~~SNIPPED~~

If you do, let us know. Thank you for making the other pages.

We may disagree with some of our theories but we agree that Mr. Harrod should be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bunny1998#