CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one person could have carried Bob out of the house within a few minutes. Nobody saw anything that day as far as we know.

Reference videos:

One Person Blanket Drag (by a man and woman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzXFgKYii0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SchUsg8oOgQ&feature=related
Fireman's Carry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWs3rMXt2hA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVOtoL3WAdo&feature=related

Full Grown Man in Trunk of Honda Ridgeline (start at :45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7JeIgNHiw&feature=related

While I agree that Bob did not go off for a walk, and then neither came back, or turned up dead in the area, I am kind of stuck on how it benefit the heirs to have him be still missing. Unless of course he was struck or killed in a violent, spontaneous way, and the idea to pretend he had gone walking was a decision made in a state of panic. Still, it seems as though he would have been left someplace where it could have appeared he had been struck by a car, for example.

While I agree that Bob did not go off for a walk, and then neither came back, or turned up dead in the area, I am kind of stuck on how it benefit the heirs to have him be still missing. Unless of course he was struck or killed in a violent, spontaneous way, and the idea to pretend he had gone walking was a decision made in a state of panic. Still, it seems as though he would have been left someplace where it could have appeared he had been struck by a car, for example.

Before I answer this concern, let me pick my jaw up off the floor from watching the Ridgeline video.

I think this is a good question, cluciano-so perhaps it was an event that was an argument gone wrong...and that the person who was able to decided to hide Bob rather than fess up to a terrible accident. Or, you might look at it as a plan that was quickly implemented because of the need to stop Bob from heading out to the bank on his own Monday morning to change everything to include Fontelle.

So what might you do with a man in broad daylight that would make him appear to have been struck by a car in a neighborhood where he could only walk around the block because of his bad knees?

Could have staged a slip and fall-maybe that was the intention. But Bob, a decorated Marine, fought back instead and the altercation caused not only physical damage to the house, but suspicious damage to Bob.

I once read a report written by a law enforcement officer that stated 9 times out of 10, when you are not dealing with a predatory type murderer, the perp doesnt have a plan B. The combination of elements of this disappearance and specific behaviors of his close family make it hard to reason another scenario, although I am open for other reasonable ones for sure.

Let's face it, had the girls offered their stepmother some sugar and had they at least acted like they were grieved by their fathers disappearance I think we wouldnt be discussing this case the way we are now. But the incredible distaste they have exhibited for this man makes their statements of fidelity pretty suspicious at least in my mind. JMVHO.

Excellent question, cluciano. With respect to a potential motive for the heirs, one might want to consider the timeline, if memory serves: 26 July -- Bob tells his daughters that he intends to include his (new) wife Fontelle into his estate; 27 July, Bob's SiL arrives purportedly to engage in errands/repairs; 27 July (same day), Bob's housekeeper arrives to clean, finding nobody (alive) at Bob's house, and is met by a surprised (?) SiL who has evidently returned with supplies from a hardware superstore (and that last fact has been verified); 27 July, Bob is no longer alive. (And need I mention, despite all indications to the contrary, among the earliest theories of his disappearance we will find shameful offerings like 'cold feet' and 'dementia', tied to family. (Forgive the second set of parentheses, but I have to point out that these are not just insults to the victim of this case, but also his wife and doctors.))

I do believe that the whole set of circumstances is more than suspicious as far as his relatives are concerned...but don't they have to wait 7 years before he is declared dead? Or are they trying to do this now?

I thought I had read that he was not especially wealthy; does it seem as though they simply were so adverse to his new wife having anything they felt should be theirs, at any cost? If so...how sickening...

Just now reading this and also picking up my jaw from the floor. Just WOW!

Sure hope something breaks soon for Bob and Fontelle. This farce has gone on too long, IMO.

This case just bothers me so much.

Both of my parents died within the past two years and within just months of each other, at Bob's age. Even with 6 children still living at that time, there was not a peep about the will or the distribution, even though my folks had to make special arrangements because my younger brother is mentally ill and my folks arranged to leave the house to my other younger brother, who will care for him for life. So the distributions were not exactly equal.

It makes me sick to think that Bob may have been killed over what he had every right to give to anyone he wanted.

I do believe that the whole set of circumstances is more than suspicious as far as his relatives are concerned...but don't they have to wait 7 years before he is declared dead? Or are they trying to do this now?

I thought I had read that he was not especially wealthy; does it seem as though they simply were so adverse to his new wife having anything they felt should be theirs, at any cost? If so...how sickening...

Bob was wealthy. IIRC, an article title about him said something like, "Millionaire missing". I suspect the daughters thought he had even more than he did even though he had alot to begin with. Why wait to declare him dead to get to the money when they can rip off the estate now? Which, IMO is why the estate case is going to trial. From what I've seen so far from the daughters, the idea of sharing the estate with an extra person probably bothered them more than the amount of money they stood to lose. These women don't play well with others and don't like to share their toys. Heck, they even claimed that everything in Bob's house belonged to them. A wealthy elderly man owns nothing? That is so rediculous. All IMO of course!

I thought I had read that he was not especially wealthy

I don't typically think about such particulars, but I want to say that his estate was in the 2.7 million ballpark. Wealth is relative, but I think his total worth would be what most would call rich. (Call this IMO -- I'm sure other posters here can correct me, but I do believe that is the ballpark.)

I ask other readers here to correct me if I am wrong, but my impression is that by most standards, Bob amassed a fortune. I think it is safe to say that people have been killed for much less -- or much less than a (daughterly) share.

So, long story short, I think it is safe to say that, yes, Bob was, by most standards, 'especially wealthy'. I would be reluctant to mention this in most situations, as it is hard for many (and we understand why) to sympathize with a wealthy victim. And yet, for those of us who tend to pull for the little guy or gal, it would be equally bad, or worse, to care less about someone because he or she was rich. And so, to those here who are willing to care about a vulnerable guy, be you rich or poor, I say to you: look at the circumstances of Bob Harrod's disappearance. Does anyone deserve that?

I have a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone wonder if Bob could have told his family that not only was he adding Fontelle to the estate, that he was removing them from it as well? He may have had enough of their harrassment. I'm not sure if they could have been removed. If so, they would have stood to lose everything the next day.

Thank you Cloudajo for #261 and all those U Tube selections. You're right, live or dead weight could be wrapped and dragged by one person.

In response to Believe09,#263, "let me pick my jaw up off the floor from watching the Ridgeline video." You are so right. I wonder if everyone who buys a Ridgeline watches this video? How nice for the video to point out all the uses and possibilities....

I have a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone wonder if Bob could have told his family that not only was he adding Fontelle to the estate, that he was removing them from it as well?

Good question. If that happened, though, would he have lived until the 27th?

Try as I might, I can find few lessons to draw out of this tale other than this: folks -- and please read this carefully -- you choose how you want to spend the money you earn. It is not the choice of your son or daughter, however mouthy she may be. Give that much to yourself: you choose what you do with your money. Should you be cursed with nasty children...so be it. You can still do what is right, and they are not a part of that calculation.

Bob was wealthy. IIRC, an article title about him said something like, "Millionaire missing". I suspect the daughters thought he had even more than he did even though he had alot to begin with. Why wait to declare him dead to get to the money when they can rip off the estate now? Which, IMO is why the estate case is going to trial. From what I've seen so far from the daughters, the idea of sharing the estate with an extra person probably bothered them more than the amount of money they stood to lose. These women don't play well with others and don't like to share their toys. Heck, they even claimed that everything in Bob's house belonged to them. A wealthy elderly man owns nothing? That is so rediculous. All IMO of course!

Very well said! It really is as simple as this.

I have a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone wonder if Bob could have told his family that not only was he adding Fontelle to the estate, that he was removing them from it as well? He may have had enough of their harrassment. I'm not sure if they could have been removed. If so, they would have stood to lose everything the next
day.

Exactly. Those may have been Mr. Harrod's last words to his daughters.

Mr Harrod told them about his plan to add Fontelle to the estate, things got "heated" causing Mr. Harrod to tell them if they didn't like it he would remove them.

2009 California Probate Code - Section 12400-12408 :: Part 12. Administration Of Estates Of Missing Persons Presumed Dead

PROBATE CODE
SECTION 12400-12408

12401. In proceedings under this part, a person who has not been
seen or heard from for a continuous period of five years by those who
are likely to have seen or heard from that person, and whose absence
is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is
presumed to be dead. The person's death is presumed to have occurred
at the end of the period unless there is sufficient evidence to
establish that death occurred earlier.

12402. Subject to the provisions of this part, the estate of a
missing person may be administered in the manner provided generally
for the administration of estates of deceased persons.

http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/prob/12400-12408.html

2009 California Probate Code - Section 2650-2655 :: Article 1. Removal Of Guardian Or Conservator

PROBATE CODE
SECTION 2650-2655

2650. A guardian or conservator may be removed for any of the
following causes:

(a) Failure to use ordinary care and diligence in the management
of the estate.

(b) Failure to file an inventory or an account within the time
allowed by law or by court order.

(c) Continued failure to perform duties or incapacity to perform
duties suitably.

(d) Conviction of a felony, whether before or after appointment as
guardian or conservator.

(e) Gross immorality.

(f) Having such an interest adverse to the faithful performance of
duties that there is an unreasonable risk that the guardian or
conservator will fail faithfully to perform duties.

(g) In the case of a guardian of the person or a conservator of
the person, acting in violation of any provision of Section 2356.

(h) In the case of a guardian of the estate or a conservator of
the estate, insolvency or bankruptcy of the guardian or conservator.

(i) In any other case in which the court in its discretion
determines that removal is in the best interests of the ward or
conservatee; but, in considering the best interests of the ward, if
the guardian was nominated under Section 1500 or 1501, the court
shall take that fact into consideration.

http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/prob/2650-2655.html

2009 California Probate Code - Section 12400-12408 :: Part 12. Administration Of Estates Of Missing Persons Presumed Dead

PROBATE CODE
SECTION 12400-12408

12401. In proceedings under this part, a person who has not been
seen or heard from for a continuous period of five years by those who
are likely to have seen or heard from that person, and whose absence
is not satisfactorily explained after diligent search or inquiry, is
presumed to be dead. The person's death is presumed to have occurred
at the end of the period unless there is sufficient evidence to
establish that death occurred earlier.

12402. Subject to the provisions of this part, the estate of a
missing person may be administered in the manner provided generally
for the administration of estates of deceased persons.

[URL="http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/prob/12400-12408.html"]http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2009/prob/12400-12408.html[/URL]

Bob's case has been reclassified as a homicide. I would think that this would go a long way towards accelerating any declaration of death. That and his extreme age, TBH, although internally his physician indicated (angrily) that he was more like a man in his 40's.

As to the code posted by cloudajo, well we know that as a result of last weeks hearing, at least two of those violations were alleged and found to be accurate:

(a) Failure to use ordinary care and diligence in the management
of the estate.

(b) Failure to file an inventory or an account within the time
allowed by law or by court order.

Time will tell about any of the others when the trial occurs. The transcripts usually take a few weeks to be processed, but I am anxious to see how they line up with the reports of those who attended the hearing.

I did not realize he had that kind of money. Poor Bob...for all the good it did him. In fact, his success probably caused his death due to the greed of others.

I dont think anyone, in their heart of hearts, actually believes that Mr. Harrod made it out of his home alive on 7/27/2009. I would like to be wrong, because there would be some hope that there was some other equation which would solve his murder. :(

There is no doubt the co conservators and his other daughter are aware that there was a police presence on Friday. I am certain they are waiting to see what, if any, evidence might have been discovered and what conclusions might be drawn from it. I think it must have been a rollercoaster week for them...breach of fiduciary responsibility AND a search of Bob's house which sort of torpedoes any theory that leads away from it.

BBM~~~~

IIRC, none of the daughters work. Wonder what they do to keep themselves occupied while they are waiting for the search results. Doesn't seem that they are trying to get the word out about their missing father by posting flyers and contacting the media. I bet the media would jump at the chance to do a story about Mr. Harrod if the daughters were involved.

Additionally,SIL JeM could offer to do an exclusive interview about his day of "home repairs" at Mr. Harrod's house on July 27, 2009. Perhaps wife of SIL, JuM, could contribute her details about going DTH on July 28, 2009 to "change the linens" at her missing father's house.

I bet the media would jump at the chance to do a story about Mr. Harrod if the daughters were involved.

Additionally,SIL JeM could offer to do an exclusive interview about his day of "home repairs" at Mr. Harrod's house on July 27, 2009. Perhaps wife of SIL, JuM, could contribute her details about going DTH on July 28, 2009 to "change the linens" at her missing father's house.

I'll say! 'Jump at the chance' indeed -- they might have to beat journalists off with a stick if they opened themselves up to interviews.

If it is the case that none of them are working right now, it should also be easy for them to schedule polygraphs, although I would guess that the PPD or the OC Sheriff's department would be highly accommodating at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member