CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If an elderly man and woman marry, and the man dies of natural causes after less than a month, would the company carrying his life insurance refuse to pay out? Would they say "Oh, no, you've only been married to him for 29 days. That isn't long enough. You aren't REALLY married because you haven't experienced life together."
I don't think so.
Would his children try to convince the life insurance company that the marriage wasn't truly real, and that they should get the pay out instead of the man's wife? Perhaps. But perhaps even worse, if the man had not changed his life insurance policy to list his wife, and if his children were still listed as the beneficiaries, the life insurance company's hands would be tied, I think. At that point, it would be up to the courts, or up to the kindness and generosity of the children.

I realize some people would feel better about the whole thing if Bob disappeared after they'd been married a year or two. Then they'd feel the commitment made by BH and FH was "real."
I believe that BH and FH are the only ones who can tell us how real their commitment and love was. And we have BH's words on video.
Who are we, or who is anyone to judge the depth of their commitment or their intentions? This is a tragedy, on so many levels. Most importantly, BH's wife was not tendered with the respect and compassion he probably would have wished for.

BBM. Sadly Bob was not tendered with the respect and compassion he deserved in the months following his first wifes passing through the date of his disappearance - likely murder. I think we can all agree having to pay each of your adult daughters 15,000 to leave one alone speaks for itself. If Bobs daughters had respected Bobs wishes (and perhaps those legally documented by both of their parents) there was really no reason to have to pay your children to stop harrassing or barraging.

Perhaps when Bob told his daughters he was adding his wife to his estate he was doing so as a way to stand up to their constant demands for assets and money that were legally not theirs, but left -per their parents legally documented wishes- to the sole surviving spouse in the marriage between Bob and Georgia.

IMO the false allegations that items belonging to the estate were 'stolen'(by Bobs current wife *) or that Bobs current wife has laid claim to his entire estate - when court documents linked indicate the exact opposite. And these allegations are nothing more than an attempt to point fingers in the direction away from those who had laid claim to what was not legally theirs since Georgia's passing, the family fight over Bobs estate, and the last person to see Bob alive.

JMO

*ETA: Bobs daughter JuM had full access to Bobs home the day following his disappearance and the time Fontelle arrived on Wednesday July 29, 2007. We really don't know if she stole or hid items with the idea of later pinning those 'stolen goods' on Bobs current wife or those who have been officially cleared by LE.

jmo

I think Fontelle is collateral damage in this story about Bob-I think that those who truly care for him are as well. Fontelle has been a great advocate for her husband and I think she deserves to have him back in whatever form that may be.

I dont know what justice means in this case anymore but the one thing I have to believe is that it must be pretty nerve wracking to have built the foundation you live on in this fashion. How does it feel to spend the hard earned money of an elderly man in his declining years after he decided he wanted to spread it around however he deemed fit? We have linked ad infinitem the definitive statements of Bob's personal physician-it is ridiculous to pursue a mental acuity issue when Bob is not hear to defend himself and it is likely that when he was, he would have nipped it.

The no contest clause in the trust documents-that is where things are interesting as far as I am concerned.

It would be interesting to see how much money from the trust has been spent thus far and how it has been spent.

It would be interesting to see how much money from the trust has been spent thus far and how it has been spent.

Yes, how the trust is currently being spent or accounted for would be very much of interest in this case.

Isn't that what the upcoming September court date should be providing?

Yes, there are a few hearing dates and then the trial on the trust accounting is set for October.

I just realized, by the way, that Chief Hicks simply read the latest MP poster in the Harrod case...the one that came out with the reward.

I am not trying to offend anyone, but the whole concept of a quickie marriage and the girls stopping Fontelle from grabbing all of Bob's assets wears on me.

When has she requested to have control of the estate? Perhaps the misunderstanding is her filing to request a third party administer it. Is that where everyones confusion is?

Why would she have a hand in a disappearance that occured before he added her to his estate, as he planned to do?

These people are elderly-in Bob's case substantially elderly. It boggles my mind that anyone would begrudge him what he stated in his own words was a chance at happieness with the woman he could and would never forget.

BBM~~~~

Under the circumstances that is the most logical thing to do for all involved. Keeps everyone honest. If you have nothing to hide then there should be no problem.

Yes, there are a few hearing dates and then the trial on the trust accounting is set for October.

I just realized, by the way, that Chief Hicks simply read the latest MP poster in the Harrod case...the one that came out with the reward.

Having followed cold cases myself that go back to the 1950's - Newly assigned Chief Hicks reading and mentioning Bobs case is a good thing, no?

I'd hope a newly assigned COP would acclimate himself to all current and not so current cases within the department.

jmo

You're welcome. It's not too much work. I just need to go through the remaining 6 cases to see if they have been added to NamUs. I don't believe they have ...... and then contact each county ME to see what additional information is available and ensure they are aware of Bobs disappearance. Hopefully the ME's won't be too hard to reach. But those calls have to wait for business hours.

I am still catching up here, Cubby, so if this has been handled already, please let me know.

If you have a list of names and appropriate ME offices that need to be contacted, I would be more than happy to give them a call. I am on the East Coast so I am 3 hours ahead of CA time. I am in the middle of packing for an upcoming move, but I can certainly find a few minutes here and there to during which I can make phone calls regarding our dear Bob.

Please let me know if you would like for me to assist in any way.

I am still catching up here, Cubby, so if this has been handled already, please let me know.

If you have a list of names and appropriate ME offices that need to be contacted, I would be more than happy to give them a call. I am on the East Coast so I am 3 hours ahead of CA time. I am in the middle of packing for an upcoming move, but I can certainly find a few minutes here and there to during which I can make phone calls regarding our dear Bob.

Please let me know if you would like for me to assist in any way.

Thank you cleo. I'm still working on compiling a complete list of names and numbers. I started working on it this last week and some other things came which which needed my attention, so I'll have to wait until this coming week to work on it further.

I'm not sure any stand out as strong possibles. There is simply too little information available via the MSM articles on these UID's. Even if they turn out to not be Bob, it won't hurt to know each can be excluded with certainty.

I'll continue to keep everyone posted as I make progress on this task and let you know if I need any assistance.

For those that have not followed this case from the beginning, here is a link to an article that gives some of the details.

Seems like there was some misinformation given to the PPD early on.

"After Bob disappeared, someone -- police won't say who -- told officers he might have regretted the decision to marry. For three days police thought they were dealing with a case of cold feet.

But if he wanted to leave, he left little trace of the decision. His wallet and keys were gone but his car, glasses and credit cards were left behind. He made no large withdrawals from his bank accounts before he disappeared -- and no withdrawals since, said Det. Corinne Loomis, who has worked on the case.

A family member told the media that Bob was showing early signs of dementia. Detectives who interviewed his doctor say Bob was of sound mind, Loomis said.

Police have looked at flight and phone records, bank statements, address books and more to figure out what happened -- to no avail. They're now treating the case as a possible homicide.

They have worked to nail down alibis for the people around him. The younger woman with whom Bob had a friendship has a solid alibi. JeM, reportedly the last person to have seen Bob, has receipts verifying he was at Home Depot around the time he said he was, police say."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03/2

Where can Bob be? It is so heartbreaking that he's not been found...

Fromthe LA Times article you linked Angelo-

Fontelle waits for answers in Bob's home. His daughters stopped talking to her soon after their father disappeared. Roberta and Paula have filed a claim in probate court for control of Bob's estate. The judge hearing the matter has not issued a ruling.

Shortly after this article was released Fontelle and the girls made an agreement-a mutual decision. Who has met the terms of the agreement is open for debate perhaps by us, but the fact is that there is a trial date set for October because one the single most important aspects of that agreement has been insufficiently executed in the eyes of the court.

So 18 months after this article, indicating that the case is being investigated as a possible homicide (and you have to figure the LA times is pretty well sourced) there is still no Bob. No recognition of two years passing. No narrowing down of that moving target of a time line...when exactly did the CL arrive, when exactly was the last time Bob was seen by his SIL, what exactly were those jobs and were they ever completed?

Who took and passed LDT's? That is a simple question and has a simple answer I bet.

For those that have not followed this case from the beginning, here is a link to an article that gives some of the details.

Seems like there was some misinformation given to the PPD early on.

They have worked to nail down alibis for the people around him. The younger woman with whom Bob had a friendship has a solid alibi. JeM, reportedly the last person to have seen Bob, has receipts verifying he was at Home Depot around the time he said he was, police say."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03/2

Respectfully shortened.

Interesting choice of wording by LE imo.
Interesting to note LE did *not* say both had solid alibi's. That tells me only one of the two persons LE was refering to has a solid alibi.

jmo

Respectfully shortened.

Interesting choice of wording by LE imo.
Interesting to note LE did *not* say both had solid alibi's. That tells me only one of the two persons LE was refering to has a solid alibi.

jmo

Agree. LE has been very specific with their wording.

Great quote from that article!

"It is common sense that just because you are successful at disposing of a body, it doesn't mean you can get away with murder," said Deputy District Attorney Ebrahim Baytieh, who is prosecuting Shawkey.

I originally linked an older article, and while this is a bit OT Shawkey was found guilty and received a sentence if life for the murder of Robert Vendrick whose body has never been recovered.

http://www.danapointtimes.com/view/...der--No-Body-Recovered-?instance=DP-eye_on_sc

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=12635

I seem to recall reading this was the second of two no body murder trials in Orange County CA in 2011, and another is scheduled for 2012 - but I can't seem to find any info on the 2012 case, anyone know?

Who took and passed LDT's? That is a simple question and has a simple answer I bet.

Yes, there you go. Let's see if we can find some evidence of someone taking and/or passing a LDT. So often you will be able to find information on that in cases. Let's see what we can find here!

What happened to the items/old materials from Bobs home the day he went missing? Were any bulky items removed from the home and how and where were they disposed?

Has anyone ever found what day refuse is picked up in Bobs neighborhood? I was unable to find a map for Placentia residential refuse pick up online, but did find the map for street sweeping. It appears Street sweeping is currently scheduled on the 2nd and 4th Monday in Bobs neighborhood. Time listed between 7:30am and 12:00pm. Do we know if LE ever sought information from whomever was driving the street sweeper the day Bob disappeared and if he noticed anything unusual?

http://www.athensservices.com/Brochures/Placentia_Mon_2nd_4th_weeks.pdf

What happened to the linens daughter JuM removed from the home Tuesday July 28th? How was she able to gain access to the home that day? Did she have her own key?

Being an older individual, not as old as Bob though, if I were to pass away I'd like for my husband to find someone who would share the rest of his days with in peace. I would not want children from either side to interfere as we each have children separately. If I was worried that my children would be left out it would be clear to them in advance what they were to receive or not to receive. This is about greed. Pure and simple. The new Mrs. doesn't have that many years..the money is not that important to her. It is to the children. What difference is lots of money at that age? His new wife loved him, not his bank account.

Being an older individual, not as old as Bob though, if I were to pass away I'd like for my husband to find someone who would share the rest of his days with in peace. I would not want children from either side to interfere as we each have children separately. If I was worried that my children would be left out it would be clear to them in advance what they were to receive or not to receive. This is about greed. Pure and simple. The new Mrs. doesn't have that many years..the money is not that important to her. It is to the children. What difference is lots of money at that age? His new wife loved him, not his bank account.

BBM. I totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member