CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to ask CarlK to stop in this thread since none exists for these remains in the UID forum. ... and give us his thoughts on a possible time of death based on the little info in the MSM article.

I am not knowledgeable enough about the conditions required for a body to mummify and remain mummified for three years, other than that mummification often occurs in very dry desert environment. This area is more mountainous, and although it is quite dry most of the year, it is subject to considerable rainfall and run-off during the rainy season. It rarely rains in Southern California, but it does rain once in a while, and there is also runoff from the winter snow that they get in that area. I would think that a body would not remain mummified through the runoff from a single winter/spring.

Based on the quote:
Investigators did not immediately release information about the body's identity or how the man died.

I get the idea that maybe they already know who this person is.

Thank you Carl, your information is quite helpful and very much appreciated.

Coroner's Press Release

UPDATED: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 2:16:54 PM
Coroner case #701202646--On 4/10/2012 at 6:05 p.m. San Bernardino Police Officers were called to respond to a call of skeletal remains found the wash area north of Highland Avenue, west of Higway 330 on Fontage Road Rd in San Bernardino. The remains are believed to be of a male with no obvious signs of trauma. However, due to the condition of the body identification was not immediately possible. The San Bernardino Police Department is also investigation this incident.[04112012 1041 SY]

http://www.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/coroner/pressrelease.asp

Interesting. The coroners press release indicates nothing about the remains being partially mummified. I wonder if that was just omitted in a short press release?

I think no obvious signs of trauma would mean broken bones or gunshot wounds. But that's a guess.

Just trying to catch up real fast.
The body was found yesterday?
They believe it is a male?
An elderly male?
That's a lot of info. in a very short time. More than they would have if it was from a victim from 2 1/2 years ago I think.
MOO

I cannot recall--was Bob's wallet left at home, or was it reported to be missing at the time of his disappearance?

Also, I was laying here thinking about something else.

Doesn't it seem odd that the daughters were SO intent on retrieving and gaining possession of nearly every single piece of property that was in the house, yet they supposedly sold a rather large piece of furniture (can't remember if it was a china cabinet or credenza or something similar) instead of claiming it as their own?

Quite an interesting tidbit of information when you think about it.

I cannot recall--was Bob's wallet left at home, or was it reported to be missing at the time of his disappearance?

Also, I was laying here thinking about something else.

Doesn't it seem odd that the daughters were SO intent on retrieving and gaining possession of nearly every single piece of property that was in the house, yet they supposedly sold a rather large piece of furniture (can't remember if it was a china cabinet or credenza or something similar) instead of claiming it as their own?

Quite an interesting tidbit of information when you think about it.

According to MSM articles Bob's wallet was missing with him.

It was a cabinet of some kind that daughter JuM offered for sale shortly after Bob's disappearance. She offered it on ROTW with the request someone pick it up rather than having it delivered. She also asked for a 2000 dollar donation to ROTW if she were to arrange to have it delivered.

I recalled discussing heavy flooding somewhere in Bob's threads so I went back and found the post regarding the flooding.

Originally posted back in December of 2010 by believe09:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #5

In the above post, it was mentioned 21 inches of rain fell on San Bernardino County. Fortunately the msm link within the above post is still a working link.

As many as 40 homes in the San Bernardino County community of Highland were damaged by mud and water after two small rivers in the foothill town overflowed, said Bill Peters, spokesman for the California Department of Forestry.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/22/winter.weather/index.html?hpt=T2

The remains found near the 330 and Highland Avenue are in the town of Highland. I find it impossible to believe mummified remains would have survived the weather described in the above msm link.

The following is a huge stretch..... and I mean huge, but not impossible since we do occasionally learn of remains being moved after disposal. The only way I can see these remains belonging to Bob is if they were kept in an environment which led to mummification and then later moved to the location they were found after the previously mentioned winter storms in December of 2010. I find that possibility probably unlikely and very risky.

Interesting new post at ROTW.

Amazing the things that come off someone's fingertips--almost too much protest.

Link to Map below: Placentia to Highland Avenue / East Frontage Road to Running Springs. I think "East Front Road" in article below may be a typo - there is a East Frontage Road near Highland Ave. Zoom in on map to see it.

http://binged.it/IIpRUu

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- Badly decomposed remains were found in a wash off Highway 330 in San Bernardino Tuesday night.

Authorities said the remains appear to be those of an elderly man.
A man walking in the area near Highland Avenue and East Front Road found the body and called police.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/inland_empire&id=8616759

Someone pulled off Highland or the 330 and dumped the body.

Wow!! I'm hoping too that Bob can be laid to rest and his wife can have some closure (though I always feel unsure using that word, as Sharon Rocha, Laci Peterson's mom, has said that there is no such thing as closure). I hope LE can find some answers.

I know I will be following this very closely.

Interesting info on the mummification process. According to the following link the mummification process takes about a year (in the right conditions) and will remain that way for several years if left undisturbed by animals and insects. I wonder if that makes it more plausible these remains were moved from another location to current location where they were found.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-O...AG52YmcCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Going to see what else I can find on the mummification process.

Interesting new post at ROTW.

Amazing the things that come off someone's fingertips--almost too much protest.

I saw that too (not sure if we are talking about the same post). What does that mean "I believe we all know who has him"? Is she trying to say they think someone is holding Bob against his will?

I hope we find out soon if this is Bob.

My heartfelt wishes for closure for Mr. Harrod and those who truly loved him.

I just went back over to ROTW and realized that she stated that "the detectives from Placentia PD are working with the detectives on this case."

I find it quite interesting:

1) that she would know this

2) that Placentia would be involved, unless they have very good reason (possible ID found with remains) (ETA: I just went back through all of her posts, and she stated earlier that she was going to forward the article about remains being found to the Placentia PD--I wonder if she ever really did this)

I also noticed that since the remains were found, she has made almost 100 posts (to me, that seems like a lot, since the remains were found less than 48 hours ago!).

I really, REALLY want to know who this dear soul was, who was found so unceremoniously exposed to the elements. Somewhere there is a family that needs answers.

RB has recently rejoined the Monrovia Historic Preservation Group.
Saw this in the newsletter. Also is volunteering for the newsletter/Mother's Day Home Tour.

I've been busy and missed the latest news.

Prayers for Fontelle that she can bring Bob home now.

Someone walking in a field noticed the remains of an apparently elderly man of unknown race about 6 p.m. at the bottom of a steep cement and rock embankment along a frontage road on the east side of Highway 330 north of Highland Avenue, homicide Sgt. Gary Robertson said in a written statement.

Highway 330 connects San Bernardino and the mountaintop town of Running Springs.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/san-be...no-mans-mummified-body-found-near-highway.ece

Hope there is an ID soon.

Is there any way that we can get photos or street view maps of this area so that we can try to figure out just where these remains were found? Something that might show the "steep cement and rock embankment along a frontage road on the east side of Highway 330 north of Highland Avenue?"

I would like to see if someone could have had access to dispose of a body from above, and if so, from where.

Is there any way that we can get photos or street view maps of this area so that we can try to figure out just where these remains were found? Something that might show the "steep cement and rock embankment along a frontage road on the east side of Highway 330 north of Highland Avenue?"

I would like to see if someone could have had access to dispose of a body from above, and if so, from where.

http://g.co/maps/b2bs7

I saw that too (not sure if we are talking about the same post). What does that mean "I believe we all know who has him"? Is she trying to say they think someone is holding Bob against his will?

I hope we find out soon if this is Bob.

It's a strange comment. And iirc, it's a partial comment which was followed by something about slander, libel and character defamation. Which led me to believe the comment was more to direct attention from herself and her husband.... who still haven't cleared up the varying times last seen or the top secret handy man jobs her husband performed at her fathers home the day of his disappearance.

She's clearly bothered by the discussion and interest in seeing her fathers case resolved. And clearly upset that people are still questioning why so many different times last seen were given. And why people are still questioning why the handy man jobs remain undisclosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member