CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey - I'm going to post my thoughts about your thoughts as I read, so some of the questions might have already been answered. :D

I agree with "what" he probably wanted to talk about with his parents.

snipped by me...

I did not know that! And I've been here since day one too! :thinking: I was wondering why his mother kept saying "Mike", instead of "his father" - now I do!

They did - and I believe THIS is the reason he sat at that truck stop/rest stop - whatever it was - for SO long. His mind was probably freaking out! I'm sure he was NOT used to taking this type of drug. He was just spaced out and when Christian (roadside service guy) came back the last time and made Bryce drive - I don't think he was ready yet. That's why he got off the freeway again, and I believe he had just told his mom he was pulling over to sleep for the night. If I remember that correctly.

I didn't hear that part - "definitely accelerating intentionally" - must have been letting one of the cats out...
I too think he "might" have amnesia from the car wreck, and he hitched a ride at the truck stop to who knows where! I hope! Otherwise, I believe they should have looked in Castaic Lake again when the drought hit!

I agree on what you said Voice4theSilent about his mom kept tracking him... that might have played into his psyhotic mind...

I'm :laughcry: here! Oh so true! I had to drive thru last October.

You're bringing back memories of driving thru the Grapevine, LinasK! Thank you! Living in the Bay Area driving down to Northridge to visit my parents!

So - in conclusion - I believe he sat in that car just freaking out - spaced out - whatever - and his mom kept interrupting that. I definitely would have driven down there after finding him the second time - with the police I believe it was.
Anyway - he could be among the hundreds of homeless in our area now - I'm hoping he's still alive out there - somewhere!

Great post!!

The thing is is that what I am referring to as "The Grapevine" is a major stretch of divided mountainous Interstate 5 Highway that runs between the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Fernando Valley. Parts of it are very civilized, but there are also long stretches of it with nothing in-between.(for example between Frazier Park and Pyramid Lake or between Pyramid Lake and the town of Castaic). It takes about an hour driving to get through it. When Bryce told her he saw no signs, it was 1 of 3 things: 1) he was lying to her, 2) the drugs/alcohol impaired his vision, or 3) at the particular moment she asked him, he was in a stretch where there was nothing. There are numerous cities/towns of various sizes large and small throughout the Grapevine.

And by "long stretches" I mean for 5-10 miles or more. It can be a long stretch if you're tired, looking for a rest stop, or stuck in traffic. Sometimes the whole Grapevine is impassable and shut down due to wildfires, heavy rain, or snow.

I didn't hear that part - "definitely accelerating intentionally" - must have been letting one of the cats out...
Snipped by me

I listened to that portion of the show again (at about the 30 minute mark, I transcribed it the best I could but I know there are some words missing here or there, nothing that changes the meaning of the words used)..... "Bryce travels along the side of the cell tower, towards the lake, continues down the hill, based on the tracks left behind he is hitting the excelerator as he was going down the hill, he was blazing his own trail as he was going down…. Based on the speed of the car he was actually unearthing large rocks, the undercarriage was hitting large rocks and this indicates that there was some speed involved…not a car in neutral. According to the detective, All of Bryce’s actions were deliberate."

The thing is is that what I am referring to as "The Grapevine" is a major stretch of divided mountainous Interstate 5 Highway that runs between the Tehachapi Mountains and the San Fernando Valley. Parts of it are very civilized, but there are also long stretches of it with nothing in-between.(for example between Frazier Park and Pyramid Lake or between Pyramid Lake and the town of Castaic). It takes about an hour driving to get through it. When Bryce told her he saw no signs, it was 1 of 3 things: 1) he was lying to her, 2) the drugs/alcohol impaired his vision, or 3) at the particular moment she asked him, he was in a stretch where there was nothing. There are numerous cities/towns of various sizes large and small throughout the Grapevine.

That would make sense. I suppose it depends on how often they asked and when. The show is vague, stating that they talked on and off for several hours and during that this his parents were asking him for landmarks and road signs but he was being evasive with them, stating he couldn't see any signs.

That would make sense. I suppose it depends on how often they asked and when. The show is vague, stating that they talked on and off for several hours and during that this his parents were asking him for landmarks and road signs but he was being evasive with them, stating he couldn't see any signs.

And by "long stretches" I mean for 5-10 miles or more. It can be a long stretch if you're tired, looking for a rest stop, or stuck in traffic. Sometimes the whole Grapevine is impassable and shut down due to wildfires, heavy rain, or snow.

I've traveled this route many times in my life. I have experience and favorite places to stop.

This is what post #690 was in reference to.... http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Castaic-30-Aug-2013-9&p=12161718#post12161718

This is from a local paper. The shortest drive from Castaic reservoir to Upper Shakes is via Lake Hughes Rd. It's only 32 miles, but it's 32 miles of winding road that would take about an hour. I'm local. Upper shakes is pretty remote.

“In the early evening hours of Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015, human remains were discovered by hunters in an extremely remote area of Pine Canyon, near the Upper Shake Campground in Lake Hughes,” detectives said in a news release from the Sheriff’s Information Bureau. “In an active attempt to notify authorities, the hunters climbed down a mountain and reported their discovery to Palmdale Sheriff’s Station personnel."

http://theavtimes.com/2015/11/02/hum...ke-campground/

BBM. And if he was in one of those areas when she asked him, like between Frazier Park and Pyramid Lake, there might well have been no signs or landmarks to guide him as to where he was, and he was new to California in general.We know he was past Buttonwillow at the time, so I'm guessing he had already entered the Grapevine. He probably hadn't reached Lake Hughes Road/Castaic yet.
Since Mom was foolish enough to let him continue to drive and not meet him in Buttonwillow, maybe she could have asked the California Highway Patrol (I think there is one in Frazier Park, IIRC) to check on him...

I have never heard of this case until Disappeared either, and I am local. Weird. I haven't read this thread yet, but I don't think this kid just walked away from life. I think he was suicidal, and succeeded. So sad.

After watching the Disappeared episode just now, I have to agree a little with his mom, the PI, and the detective. I believe he had some kind of psychotic break related to either stimulants and/or alcohol and/or onset of mental illness and possibly a head injury. I believe he walked away from the accident. I believe he is either dead or living among the mentally ill homeless, unsure of who and where he is.
One thing that struck me as odd. Everyone on screen kept saying he was heading home. The GPS was set to the home address. But Bryce never said he was going home. Everyone assumes that and stated that, but in the episode, Bryce is never portrayed as expressing that. I really feel for his parents. I will be interested to see if this latest body found answers any of Bryce's parent's questions or perhaps those of another family.

Thanks LinasK! I believe that is the route from Castaic Lake to Upper Shake Campground. (there was a body found there in 2015) I think that's what it is, if memory serves. :)

After watching the Disappeared episode just now, I have to agree a little with his mom, the PI, and the detective. I believe he had some kind of psychotic break related to either stimulants and/or alcohol and/or onset of mental illness and possibly a head injury. I believe he walked away from the accident. I believe he is either dead or living among the mentally ill homeless, unsure of who and where he is.
One thing that struck me as odd. Everyone on screen kept saying he was heading home. The GPS was set to the home address. But Bryce never said he was going home. Everyone assumes that and stated that, but in the episode, Bryce is never portrayed as expressing that. I really feel for his parents. I will be interested to see if this latest body found answers any of Bryce's parent's questions or perhaps those of another family.

Until he detoured off to Castaic Lake (and procrastinated in Buttonwillow), he was headed in the general direction he'd need to go to his parents home (South on I5). He would have reached Orange County in 3 hours or less from Castaic. So it wasn't a stretch of the imagination that that's initially where he was headed- to talk to his parents.

Was a body found?

Two bloodhounds tracked him to the truck stop so not sure why PI lady dregging the lake ?
Also , amnesia is VERY rare and I can understand mom being stressed but not buying it . If he was wondering around acting bizarre not knowing his name , looking like carrot top he would have been contacted by authorities by now .
Weather after hitching a ride something happened or he's just cross country or out of the country .
Remember season 1 Michele Whitaker thought her mom was " mad " at her and she hitched a ride to Oregon and was working at a farm for room and board so no CC used ect . Was missing 6 years if I recall .

TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two bloodhounds tracked him to the truck stop so not sure why PI lady dregging the lake ?
Also , amnesia is VERY rare and I can understand mom being stressed but not buying it . If he was wondering around acting bizarre not knowing his name , looking like carrot top he would have been contacted by authorities by now .
Weather after hitching a ride something happened or he's just cross country or out of the country .
Remember season 1 Michele Whitaker thought her mom was " mad " at her and she hitched a ride to Oregon and was working at a farm for room and board so no CC used ect . Was missing 6 years if I recall .

TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you hear that? Been following the case since day one I've never heard that bloodhounds tracked him to a truck stop. The very first dogs on the scene tracked him to the edge of the lake.

Where did you hear that? Been following the case since day one I've never heard that bloodhounds tracked him to a truck stop. The very first dogs on the scene tracked him to the edge of the lake.

It was in the Disappeared episode... The detective said that Bryce's scent was tracked across the dam and to a nearby truck stop, I believe. Maybe if someone is going to watch again soon they can transcribe exactly what was said.

IIRC the dogs tracked him past the dam and ALMOST to the truck stop ...then lost scent.

If you're formerly from Chicago you know about I-80 ...which runs from California to NJ ...it would be VERY easy to hitch IMO no one here has ever heard of him (I live about an hour south of Chicago) ..and with a new trend of red head males bleaching their hair-he could easily hide out IMO

I'm not convinced that he was on a suicide mission (although possible of course) ...I think he was in the MIDDLE of a mental break and ran away. Unfortunately I've had my experience with speed and hours and days FLY by ... literally here and gone -with him and his gf having issues, I'm sure his emotions were high. (Those young relationships are always dramatic and full of emotions). I think he was contemplating going back to her location, but opted to get away instead.

I think he could easily be hiding in the drug/homeless/mental ill areas in Chicago -we have a lot unfortunately and they are full of young people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

"Dogs actually tracked bryces scent across the dam,which had a roadway across the dam and then south down a spill way on the west side of the lake,and then it picked it up again on the west side of the spill way and then went towards the truck stop area" -detective on disappeared. Narrator then states" according to police two separate bloodhounds follow bryces scent trail from his car, through the park, and directly towards a truck stop area on castaic road, at that point the scent trail dissipates"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

He sat in his car for over 13 hours and then accelerated it over and down a cliff. I think that pretty much speaks suicide, IMO. Also not sure what any of this redhead talk is about. There are tons of redheads out there so that isn't all that pertinent. He looks like a few boys I know so not stand out at all.

The Disappeared show reported it. This was news to me too. So obviously he made it on foot back to I-5 and didn't drown in the lake. I'm assuming the truck stop was in the town of Castaic, I think that's the closest one to the lake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid