CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Isn't it kind of weird for there to be an Amber Alert without vehicle info? Seems like I've read this 'complaint' a half dozen times at least, about Amber Alerts not being issued and it's usually because there's no vehicle. Is this one an exception because people witnessed the kidnapping?

RSBM

Apparently you don't need a vehicle for an amber alert. Here's the criteria:

Law enforcement officials will activate an AMBER Alert if:

They believe an abduction has occurred and the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death;
They have enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child;
The abduction is of a child age 17 years or younger.

Source: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/amber-plan-americas-missing-broadcast-emergency-response

Link also says AAs are not issued for runaways and most parental abductions. Seems like she surely fits all the criteria.

The below link has lots of details including:
- Witnesses said the disabled adult was an older/elderly female
- in relation to the above, it says that the dad lives with daphne and his mother (is she the one in the car?)
- The police are asking anyone who has seen either the dad OR daphne in the last THIRTY DAYS to contact them
- mom and other family members are described as being extremely cooperative
- dad is 49. He's not a suspect. Mother is in her 80s.
- witnesses said the suspect was Hispanic or light-skinned black with long hair and carried Daphne away.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Toddler-kidnapped-from-SUV-in-Oakland-4657904.php

The last 30 DAYS?!?!?! Oh lord.

Hopefully they will release a better picture of this sweet girl. I'm having a hard time understanding how this could happen so quickly. At this age Daphne would be in a 5pt harness convertible carseat (hopefully rear facing). My daughter is 3 and it still takes me 2 hands to get her free.

I can't imagine a stranger running up to a car with an adult visibly seated in the car, opening the door, unbuckling a carseat, grabbing the child and running off.

Where's mom? Maybe this was targeted?

All IMO!

So they don't even know who the adult in the car was?

I would imagine the police know, they just haven't released that info to the media.

If she's elderly, like they say, it's very likely she suffers from dementia or Alzheimer's. That will make it very difficult to get a clear story from her. If I was a less cynical person I wouldn't have to say "how convenient".

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but this does not add up.

I would wonder if the abductor could be someone vaguely acquainted with the family.

Someone related to their church congregation, a friend-of-a-friend, someone who once attended the same cookout as this family.

Someone who may have recognized the family and been aware of the older adult's disabled condition... yet not someone who would immediately be recognized as known to the family?

Hmm...

Paraphrasing here. jMO On the evening news, ABC7, the elderly relative was confirmed to be Webb's mother with dementia. The neighbors haven't seen the baby and father together in at least several weeks. The dogs have been searching the area. At least a dozen police are also searching an area along MLK jr. Shoreline, wih dogs searching along a trail there. They have cordoned off a trail as a crime scene

Paraphrasing here. jMO On the evening news, ABC7, the elderly relative was confirmed to be Webb's mother with dementia. The neighbors haven't seen the baby and father together in at least several weeks. The dogs have been searching the area. At least a dozen police are also searching an area along MLK jr. Shoreline, wih dogs searching along a trail there. They have cordoned off a trail as a crime scene

What about reports that an African American or Hispanic woman was seen with the baby when she disappeared?

Oh no. I live in Oakland. That's not a good area.

This little girl should have been strapped into a car seat, if "left in the car." How long was the father in the store? It takes some time to: spy a child, decide you want to steal her, assess the situation and approach, open the door, unbuckle and pry a kid from a car seat (especially if you're unfamiliar with the seat), and make off with her. So this is sounding really B.S.-sy to me.

Or maybe she wasn't even in a car seat, which is awful in its own right.

Can't tell if dad went into a supermarket or a liqueur store. But either way, shouldn't there be video from surveillance cameras?

What about reports that an African American or Hispanic woman was seen with the baby when she disappeared?

The question remains, WHO saw this?

Oh no. I live in Oakland. That's not a good area.

This little girl should have been strapped into a car seat, if "left in the car." How long was the father in the store? It takes some time to: spy a child, decide you want to steal her, assess the situation and approach, open the door, unbuckle and pry a kid from a car seat (especially if you're unfamiliar with the seat), and make off with her. So this is sounding really B.S.-sy to me.

Or maybe she wasn't even in a car seat, which is awful in its own right.

He wasn't in the store long... I don't know how quickly "quickly" is, but I don't imagine it's longer than 5 minutes. At most.

"The man bought an energy drink and was in and out of the store quickly, according to a store clerk.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_23635013/oakland-police-search-missing-girl

That article also says she was missing from the back seat. Sooo, like you said... notice there's a child, decide you want her, assess, approach, open the door WITH AN ADULT SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT, get kid out of back seat, walk away. All very quickly.

Whaaaaat? Something is definitely not right with this case... and sadly, I don't think that bodes well for darling Daphne.

Prayers for you sweetheart, I hope you're safe and well.

:(

This appears to be the place. Rough looking area. Honestly, not sure if they'd have surveillance cameras.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=7838...Blvd,+Oakland,+Alameda,+California+94621&z=20

Also, very interesting updated video at this link.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Oakland-Police-Search-for-Missing-Child-214978071.html

The search now also involves the FBI.
They are searching the area of her father's home as well as the shoreline.
They have gone into the water at some point looking for her.
Crime scene tape is up around her father's house. They've been asking around his neighborhood.
Cops are gathered outside waiting on a search warrant to enter the home and thoroughly search.
The "suspect" is not verified. A child was seen with a woman wearing "something *similar*" to what Daphne was last seen wearing.

Okay so the "abductor" was seen by witnesses, not the father.
(This explains why the father didn't chase her down.)

This could be some innocent person who happened to walk by at the time with a black toddler.
This doesn't seem like an area that is predominately white. So a black toddler wouldn't be rare.
I say that because I live in an area that is about 90% white. We see black people like once a week here.

Paul Chambers ‏@PaulChambersTV 2h

#AmberAlert #OaklandPd increased its search for Daphne viola Webb. Police are searching the shoreline near Oakland airport @KTVU

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...from-SUV-in-Oakland-4657904.php#photo-4901265

The father said he had not seen the kidnapper, but people in the area soon reported seeing a woman carrying Daphne in her arms down the sidewalk, Watson said.

Police said the woman was described as a Latina or light-skinned black woman in her 30s, with very long black hair. She was wearing a light-colored top and blue jeans, police said.

Daphne is black, with short, curly black hair and brown eyes. She was wearing clothing similar to orange pajamas with pink hearts, and pink socks.

Okay so the "abductor" was seen by witnesses, not the father.
(This explains why the father didn't chase her down.)

This could be some innocent person who happened to walk by at the time with a black toddler.
This doesn't seem like an area that is predominately white. So a black toddler wouldn't be rare.
I say that because I live in an area that is about 90% white. We see black people like once a week here.

Paul Chambers ‏@PaulChambersTV 2h

#AmberAlert #OaklandPd increased its search for Daphne viola Webb. Police are searching the shoreline near Oakland airport @KTVU

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...from-SUV-in-Oakland-4657904.php#photo-4901265

The father said he had not seen the kidnapper, but people in the area soon reported seeing a woman carrying Daphne in her arms down the sidewalk, Watson said.

Police said the woman was described as a Latina or light-skinned black woman in her 30s, with very long black hair. She was wearing a light-colored top and blue jeans, police said.

Daphne is black, with short, curly black hair and brown eyes. She was wearing clothing similar to orange pajamas with pink hearts, and pink socks.

I wonder how the witnesses knew it was actually Daphne the they saw being carried down the street. There are thousands of 1 yr old babies fitting that same description in Oakland. The only distinctive thing might be the orange pj's with pink hearts.

"The neighbor, Bill Owens, 70, said the family had moved out of the home around Christmas, around the time that Daphne had started walking. Webb had already raised two hdaughters now in their 20s at the same home, said Owens, who had trained the girls in martial arts when they were younger."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_23635013/oakland-police-search-missing-girl

MHO

Not accusing anyone, but this article has a picture of the dad who is 49 years old and has 2 adult daughters. It also has more up to date info & pics of where they are searching.

Prayers for this family and the baby girl.

"The neighbor, Bill Owens, 70, said the family had moved out of the home around Christmas, around the time that Daphne had started walking. Webb had already raised two hdaughters now in their 20s at the same home, said Owens, who had trained the girls in martial arts when they were younger."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_23635013/oakland-police-search-missing-girl

MHO

Not accusing anyone, but this article has a picture of the dad who is 49 years old and has 2 adult daughters. It also has more up to date info & pics of where they are searching.

Prayers for this family and the baby girl.

This is interesting. I didn't expect to see something like this. Maybe I have to rethink things.--- from the article:

"He's just an all-around great guy," Owens said of Webb, noting that for years, Webb had drawn lines of people to his front door as he gave away food, clothing, bicycles and more. "He knew everybody. He was just always trying to do good.
"John took real good care of his mom. I sure hope this is (just) a family dispute of some sort."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
friesandchips
Back