CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where is this baby's mother? Could she have sent someone to take the child back?

The mother is said to be cooperating as well.

I will feel better once someone comes forward saying they saw the father and Daphne in the last 30 days.
I know plenty of people who would be described as great guys... yet are abusing their families. :twocents:
You just never know what goes on behind closed doors... people present the best to the outside world.

Echos of a recent high profile case, doesn't it?

Not to mention Hasanni Campbell who went missing 5 years ago in Oakland when his guardian's boyfriend left him in the car for a few minutes while he ran into a store. Although police never found the "abductor", boyfriend was very suspicious. JMO

The mother is said to be cooperating as well.

I will feel better once someone comes forward saying they saw the father and Daphne in the last 30 days.
I know plenty of people who would be described as great guys... yet are abusing their families. :twocents:
You just never know what goes on behind closed doors... people present the best to the outside world.

True. Sad, but true.

It seems that he should be able to get some witnesses to his being with his baby in the past day or two. He must have gone to a grocery store or a friends house or taken her to a babysitter or somewhere. right?

Has someone seen father and the elderly mother together in the last 30 days, sans the baby?

RSBM

Apparently you don't need a vehicle for an amber alert. Here's the criteria:

Law enforcement officials will activate an AMBER Alert if:

They believe an abduction has occurred and the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death;
They have enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child;
The abduction is of a child age 17 years or younger.

Source: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/amber-plan-americas-missing-broadcast-emergency-response

Link also says AAs are not issued for runaways and most parental abductions. Seems like she surely fits all the criteria.

Ah it must be lack of details about the abduction that has been the key missing factor in the cases I've followed. Thanks for the details. Agree that she seems to fit the criteria.

Interesting article
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9168504

"And after a while he broke down and he did start to cry," said Joe Noble, a witness.

Police issued an AMBER Alert and said they were looking for a woman who was seen walking with a baby that fit Daphne's description. However, later on Wednesday investigators began questioning if the father actually took the baby to the store or if anyone had seen them together on Wednesday?

"We asked the father's neighbor, Olga Lopez, when the last time was she saw John Anthony with the baby. She told us, "I would say seven months ago."

Everyone we spoke to said they haven't seen Webb with his daughter in several weeks. Meanwhile, at least a dozen police have been searching an area along the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline in Oakland. They also had dogs sniffing along a trail there and the area has been taped off as a crime scene. Police are interviewing Webb, but say at this time he is not a suspect."

OUCH. This is not going to end well. :rose:

JMO
Ok, this may be way off base, but I'm rewatching the news on ABC7, and they just showed the black Ford Expedition. Here's the thing; the windows appear to be tinted. The Expedition is relatively high off the ground, compared to a car. Assuming the baby is in the back seat, in a car seat, and higher off the ground, with tinted windows....and there is an adult in the car, how bold would a person have to be to steel the baby in under 2 minutes? How would they even be able to see the baby? Certainly, they would have to get quite close to a tinted, raised car to see what is in the back seat, and by that time they would have seen the adult in the car, and decided against breaking into a car.... jMO

Oh, and it wasn't super hot today, but it has been extremely hot for the last couple weeks, and leaving a baby in a black suv for any amount of time wouldn't be safe at all. Hopefully there wasn't a terrible mistake made prior to today. JMO

So when was the last time the little girl's mother saw her?

JMO
Ok, this may be way off base, but I'm rewatching the news on ABC7, and they just showed the black Ford Expedition. Here's the thing; the windows appear to be tinted. The Expedition is relatively high off the ground, compared to a car. Assuming the baby is in the back seat, in a car seat, and higher off the ground, with tinted windows....and there is an adult in the car, how bold would a person have to be to steel the baby in under 2 minutes? How would they even be able to see the baby? Certainly, they would have to get quite close to a tinted, raised car to see what is in the back seat, and by that time they would have seen the adult in the car, and decided against breaking into a car.... jMO

Oh, and it wasn't super hot today, but it has been extremely hot for the last couple weeks, and leaving a baby in a black suv for any amount of time wouldn't be safe at all. Hopefully there wasn't a terrible mistake made prior to today. JMO

All good points.

I also noticed the disabled parking plate on the back. Doesn't necessarily mean they used the disabled parking spot, but if they did that's RIGHT up front usually. Even bolder, IMO.

Can't tell if dad went into a supermarket or a liqueur store. But either way, shouldn't there be video from surveillance cameras?

I know, they keep changing the description. From looking at it, looks like a basic corner convenience store, i.e. 7-11, but not a chain/large chain. I can't think of too many people who'd call that a supermarket, but I could see maybe a market, maybe a liquor store, depending on what they normally bought there. Most of those seem to have surveillance even in not so nice areas, if they can. I hope there's something.

ETA: sorry, duh moment.. I just saw the name of the store itself is called "Gazzali's Supermarket" so that's probably where "Supermarket" is coming from. Also, the parking doesn't look terribly 'friendly' - looks like really limited, mostly parallel parking. So please scratch my comment about disabled parking spots from earlier. I doubt they had anything right up front like that.

Where is this baby's mother? How does a father get primary custody of a 21 month old?

How is it she cannot pinpoint a recent sighting of her child? This is confusing.

Where is this baby's mother? How does a father get primary custody of a 21 month old?

How is it she cannot pinpoint a recent sighting of her child? This is confusing.

Well, maybe she told them she last saw Daphne a month ago and that's why they're asking for the sightings?

Well, maybe she told them she last saw Daphne a month ago and that's why they're asking for the sightings?

True. It just seems odd that a mother would not see her 20 month old more frequently than that. Unless maybe the father made excuses and kept putting her off?

True. It just seems odd that a mother would not see her 20 month old more frequently than that. Unless maybe the father made excuses and kept putting her off?

I suppose there are many reasons why a mother wouldn't be available but I am very interested in finding out if there was a scheduled visitation coming up shortly that might have prompted this abduction.

I'm also concerned with them calling her a "1 year old," though that appears to be updated now on most stories. I realize at 21 months she's technically a "1 year old" but there's a whole lot of developmental difference between 12 and 21 months. A 21 month old could potentially be a whole lot more mobile on foot, more vocal, etc.

We went back to Webb's neighborhood on 75th Avenue, where he grew up.

"He has never come across to me as somebody who would abduct a child or harm a child," said Jenny Whooton, the father's neighbor.

We asked the father's neighbor, Olga Lopez, when the last time was she saw John Anthony with the baby. She told us, "I would say seven months ago."
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9168504

Okay the neighbors not seeing them in months does not sound good but the other article says he recently moved from an address where he had lived for years so maybe the ABC reporters just were in the wrong neighborhood for recent sightings?
A neighbor at Webb's most recent listed address, about half a mile from the site of the kidnapping, said Webb is Daphne's father and had lived there for years with the child's mother as well as his own mother.

The neighbor, Bill Owens, 70, said the family had moved out of the home around Christmas, around the time that Daphne had started walking. Webb had already raised two daughters now in their 20s at the same home, said Owens, who had trained the girls in martial arts when they were younger.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_23635013/oakland-police-search-missing-girl

Around Christmas is about seven months ago.

Fathers get primary custody of their children all the time. It's also possible that the mother is somewhere where she is not in control of her comings and goings-in the hospital, jail, treatment. And sadly, it's entirely possible that the mom just doesn't care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueJayJay71
Back