CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HERE ARE SOME SERIAL RAPISTS IN CALIFORNIA FROM THE ERA OF EAR

GEORGE SANCHEZ, AKA THE SKI MASK RAPIST: A former sewer worker in San Jose, in the mid-80s he targeted elderly women living near churches in the South Bay. Trademark was the ski mask he donned to elude identification. Convicted of 117 counts of sexual assault, he was sentenced to 406 years in prison.

MELVIN CARTER, AKA THE COLLEGE TERRACE RAPIST: A polite, intelligent research engineer from Livermore, he ultimately admitted to as many as 100 rapes. He stalked victims near Stanford, UC Berkeley and UC Davis untilhis 1980 arrest. His parole generated a cyclone of protest, but an agreement last year allowed him to complete his parole at the remote Devil's Garden prison camp near Alturas

REGINALD MULDREN, AKA THE PILLOWCASE RAPIST: Linked to 200 sex crimes in the Los Angeles area from 1976 to 1978, he sometimes raped several women in one night. Trademark was putting a pillowcase over his victims' heads. Paroled last year, he was asked if he was rehabilitated and responded "That is information that will come out eventually if they watch, you know. So right now that's still up in the air."

CHISTOPHER HUBBART: Convicted of raping 34 women in Northern California and the Los Angeles area - binding and gagging sometimes forcing them to endure enemas - he has a sociology degree and an IQ that puts him in the top 8 percent of the population. He had been in and out of prison since 1973 for a series of rapes, including one on the first day of his release from a state mental hospital. His parole was canceled in 1994 after a psychiatrist determined he still suffered from a "severe mental disorder."

(EAR/ONS/GSK had competition out there, but it looks like these other guys were all arrested & did time, & GSK was never caught)

HERE ARE SOME SERIAL RAPISTS IN CALIFORNIA FROM THE ERA OF EAR

GEORGE SANCHEZ, AKA THE SKI MASK RAPIST: A former sewer worker in San Jose, in the mid-80s he targeted elderly women living near churches in the South Bay. Trademark was the ski mask he donned to elude identification. Convicted of 117 counts of sexual assault, he was sentenced to 406 years in prison.

MELVIN CARTER, AKA THE COLLEGE TERRACE RAPIST: A polite, intelligent research engineer from Livermore, he ultimately admitted to as many as 100 rapes. He stalked victims near Stanford, UC Berkeley and UC Davis untilhis 1980 arrest. His parole generated a cyclone of protest, but an agreement last year allowed him to complete his parole at the remote Devil's Garden prison camp near Alturas

REGINALD MULDREN, AKA THE PILLOWCASE RAPIST: Linked to 200 sex crimes in the Los Angeles area from 1976 to 1978, he sometimes raped several women in one night. Trademark was putting a pillowcase over his victims' heads. Paroled last year, he was asked if he was rehabilitated and responded "That is information that will come out eventually if they watch, you know. So right now that's still up in the air."

CHISTOPHER HUBBART: Convicted of raping 34 women in Northern California and the Los Angeles area - binding and gagging sometimes forcing them to endure enemas - he has a sociology degree and an IQ that puts him in the top 8 percent of the population. He had been in and out of prison since 1973 for a series of rapes, including one on the first day of his release from a state mental hospital. His parole was canceled in 1994 after a psychiatrist determined he still suffered from a "severe mental disorder."

(EAR/ONS/GSK had competition out there, but it looks like these other guys were all arrested & did time, & GSK was never caught)

What a crazy, frightening, violent era this was, tbh. Especially for women. Hard to even imagine it.

While the population exploded in the 60s through early-90s, so did crime rates. There are population percentages here, but they’re in a separate chart of ya scroll past numbers.

But check out reported forcible rape and violent crime rates, etc. through the 60s into the 80s. Ugh. [emoji15]

Forcible rape 9.6 in 1960, 34.7 in 1979 (out of 100,000 population)

Violent crime 160.9 in 1960, 548.9 in 1979.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

ETA: Goodness, even the property crime rate nearly quadrupled between 1960 and 1980.

1,726.3 in 1960, 5,016.6 in 1979.

What a crazy, frightening, violent era this was, tbh. Especially for women. Hard to even imagine it.

Seems like after JFK was assassinated, everything became chaotic in America. Vietnam War started up, lots of protesting everywhere, economy started to tanks in the 70's, & actually through out the 70's the economy was terrible everywhere. I've seen 2 documentaries on the "70's" & it was pretty bad everywhere in America.

Nixon had to leave office for Watergate.......the gas crisis, it was a mess & crime flourished in the 70's.......EAR/ONS/GSK sure picked the right decade to commit his crimes.

I think we are living in some crazy & chaotic times now, & we may see another rush of crime in the future.

Will we ever see another EAR/GSK with a stretch of 10 or more years of crime & never be apprehended? Who knows, but with DNA technology, its way too difficult to get away with rape, so I don't know how a rapist would adjust to DNA.

Cognitive dissonance, imo. False sense of security. Shock, maybe, or denial that something as horrific as what GSK did would happen to 100% innocents who did nothing of their own accord to somehow become a target. Victim-blaming, perhaps.

Still hard to believe the seemingly prevalent nonchalance about it all by some folks, though. I’m just throwing out ideas as to why they might convince themselves they were immune.

What about the cops, they had several chances to catch him, once an FBI agent & once a detective that got shot at......now a days, there would have been 10 bullets in a prowler walking out of a yard & then handcuffed & then asked questions if he's still alive, cops don't play games now a days.. Cops I guess were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to people back then in California.

Any chance that EARS did his surveillance of victims presented as a female, and perhaps even now living as a woman?
speculation, imo.

Any chance that EARS did his surveillance of victims presented as a female, and perhaps even now living as a woman?
speculation, imo.

I like how you think,,,,Dot....high pitched voice...little wiggler....could have worn wig or be one now...:drumroll:

speculation, imo.

Anything is possible with this guy......it was like he was invisible out prowling at night & walking around in the day scoping out women. It would be wild if he became a she, & cops are looking for a man, & he/she never got married, how would they be able to track the suspect down?

This thought is too much for my brain, lol, its scrambling my thoughts......I don't see how detectives could catch him if this happened, & the suspect never committed another crime & lives across the country.

There are a number of cases where a murderer has had gender reassignment in jail, will just note this one.
fwiw, speculation, imo, rbbm.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/transgender-woman-male-persona-serial-killer/story?id=22959423
[h=1]Transgender Defense: 'Donna' Says 'Doug' Is the Spokane Serial Killer[/h]
  • By Susan Donaldson James
March 19, 2014
A transgender woman accused of being a serial killer is blaming the 1990 murders of three prostitutes in Washington State on Douglas Perry, the person she identified as before her transition.

Donna Perry, 62, told police in 2012 in an affidavit filed in Spokane Superior Court that she had gender reassignment surgery in Thailand, and when a person transitions from male to female, "there's a great downturn in violence."

She also told police that she intentionally had the operation, which she underwent in 2000, "as a permanent way to control violence."

There are a number of cases where a murderer has had gender reassignment in jail, will just note this one.
fwiw, speculation, imo, rbbm.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/transgender-woman-male-persona-serial-killer/story?id=22959423

Wow, you learn something new every day, thanks for this article.

Nobody ever saw a woman leaving the scene of a rape or murder, it was always a man......& the prowlers were always men as well.

But I see what you're saying about years after he stopped killing. Anything is possible with EAR/GSK.

My thoughts and questions after watching the recent 4-part series "It's not over" and listening to the Criminology podcast on this topic:

* I can understand how EAR/ONS might have gotten phone #'s, after he committed the breakins - he stole Driver's licenses which would have names addresses. But the calls he made prior to the breakins, and some became victims, was he just dialing randomly and getting lucky? was he pouring through phone books for many hours looking for certain streets? or was he so successful at stalking that he got name/address prior to the crime?

* possible jobs of EAR/ONS
- some have speculated about many occupations = law enforcement, military, real estate development/construction, real estate sales/broker etc.
- his almost obsessive eating/drinking at the crime scenes and some victims reporting that he smelled bad, could he possibly have been homeless? maybe he stole the cars he used and lived in them until he ditched them

* on the Criminology podcast, an FBI agent (IIRC) said they came upon a suspicious individual in a car watching a woman at a park. The mand in the car, was similar to many EAR/ONS descriptions by the victims (blonde, collar length hair, 20's)They took down the license plate and ran it. The license plate came back as not issued.
- how would one gain possession of a non-issued license plate from any state?
- who would have the access to do this?
- could EAR/ONS have been savvy enough to somehow alter stolen license plates? alter a letter or number with paint etc?

My thoughts and questions after watching the recent 4-part series "It's not over" and listening to the Criminology podcast on this topic:

* I can understand how EAR/ONS might have gotten phone #'s, after he committed the breakins - he stole Driver's licenses which would have names addresses. But the calls he made prior to the breakins, and some became victims, was he just dialing randomly and getting lucky? was he pouring through phone books for many hours looking for certain streets? or was he so successful at stalking that he got name/address prior to the crime?

* possible jobs of EAR/ONS
- some have speculated about many occupations = law enforcement, military, real estate development/construction, real estate sales/broker etc.
- his almost obsessive eating/drinking at the crime scenes and some victims reporting that he smelled bad, could he possibly have been homeless? maybe he stole the cars he used and lived in them until he ditched them

* on the Criminology podcast, an FBI agent (IIRC) said they came upon a suspicious individual in a car watching a woman at a park. The mand in the car, was similar to many EAR/ONS descriptions by the victims (blonde, collar length hair, 20's)They took down the license plate and ran it. The license plate came back as not issued.
- how would one gain possession of a non-issued license plate from any state?
- who would have the access to do this?
- could EAR/ONS have been savvy enough to somehow alter stolen license plates? alter a letter or number with paint etc?

As far as jobs, I don't think he had one when he was commuting many rapes & murder, this guy was out prowling almost every night, he was stalking many women, but was meticulous enough to know which targets to pick correctly almost every time.

The way he knew the neighborhoods, had an escape route & probably an alternate escape route......makes me think he was ex-military/ex cop.

The police had dragnets, citizens were out vigilante style with guns & bats patrolling, & some how he never gets caught......like he had the inside scoop on everything, boggles the mind.

The license plate coming back not issued has me baffled & confused. Wouldn't the cops pull this guy out of the car & ask why is he driving a non issued license......this whole case is messed up. 50 rapes, 12 murders & hundreds of break ins/burglaries & they can't catch him?

Being able to call women's homes before the rape is intriguing.....several ways to get a number, back in the 70's, I'm assuming most people had their names on the mailboxes, & most people were in the phone book.

Some victims did state he smelled bad while others stated he smelled good. If he's out prowling around & its not cold out, good chance he's sweating. I think he sat at certain locations for hours before entering the house, or maybe he was inside the home like attack #5, Jane's husband leaves at 6am, & 1 minute later the rapist is walking down the hall, that's freaky scary......maybe he was inside the home for hours. When your adrenaline is pumping, you can sweat, & you start to smell.

I've always wondered if he stole cars as well because he was supposedly seen in several different cars.

The eating thing could be again on how he was out prowling a lot, spending a lot of time in certain spots until he needed to attack......its not like he can order take out food/pizza to his location.
I could definitely see why he was always hungry, recon work & spending countless hours wastes a lot of calories & energy.

I've always wondered if he maybe had a split personality?

Unless GSK got married & had kids, I don't see how he will.get caught w/o familial DNA involved.

Back when EAR/ONS was active, there were reverse city directories that you could look up an address and get the phone number without even knowing the person's name. This was used by realtors, among others. Many of the victims had either just moved in or were in the process of selling the home. I think at some point he had his realtor license, there were door lock boxes at Janelle's and Cheri Domingo's.

Back when EAR/ONS was active, there were reverse city directories that you could look up an address and get the phone number without even knowing the person's name. This was used by realtors, among others. Many of the victims had either just moved in or were in the process of selling the home. I think at some point he had his realtor license, there were door lock boxes at Janelle's and Cheri Domingo's.

Good information, I didn't know about but the reverse city directory........huge edge for EAR/GSK. I wonder if the cops had stated this/figured it out that this could have been an avenue how he received his information to call the women.

Those lock boxes gave easy access to burglars, oh how crazy those days were.

The license plate coming back not issued has me baffled & confused. Wouldn't the cops pull this guy out of the car & ask why is he driving a non issued license......this whole case is messed up. 50 rapes, 12 murders & hundreds of break ins/burglaries & they can't catch him?

I've always wondered if he maybe had a split personality?

The FBI or Cops...can't remember now what they said.....passed by once to get the license plate number. They had to go down and turn around and come back, they were going to question him, and he had left. I'm not sure if they had the capability to run the plate right then in their car if it was FBI. But at whatever point the license plate was run, it was "not issued" in the DMV system.

BBM....that is a good point. I have also wondered if he was schizophrenic or some other psychological issue, due to a few victims heard what they thought was him talking to himself.

Sold out, wonder if EARS reserved a ticket too?!
http://sacramento.carpediem.cd/even...sion-of-unmasking-a-killer-at-the-delta-king/

The Delta King
1000 Front St, Sacramento, California 95814

SOLD OUT!!!

Included in the ticket price is the film screening, panel discussion, and a reception with hors d'oeuvre and an open bar.

The Center for Sacramento History (CSH), in partnership with CNN sister network HLN, will present a screening and panel discussion on the network's documentary series Unmasking A Killer — the Hunt for the Golden State Killer on Wednesday, April 4 at 7 pm. The special event will take place at the Delta King Theatre (1000 Front Street, Old Sacramento). Doors open at 6:30 pm and a reception will follow the event. Advance tickets are $10 each and only available online at centerforsacramentohistory.org. With limited seating available, tickets are expected to sell out quickly.

HLN's five-part docuseries Unmasking A Killer takes an in-depth look at one of America’s most prolific uncaught serial murderers who began his crimes in Sacramento County. Known first as the East Area Rapist, then the Original Night Stalker, and now the Golden State Killer, he’s responsible for a staggering 51 attacks and 12 murders in California…that we know of. For forty years investigators have been on the manhunt for this sadistic criminal and recent evidence suggests he may still be alive. With the FBI in Sacramento offering a $50,000 reward, the investigation is hotter than ever.
In an effort to raise awareness of the Golden State Killer case and ultimately bring the offender to justice, the event will include panelists Carol Daly, a retired Sacramento Sheriff’s Office detective; Paul Holes, a Contra Costa County DA investigator; Linda, a Golden State Killer survivor; and other former and current Northern California investigators currently working on the case.

The FBI or Cops...can't remember now what they said.....passed by once to get the license plate number. They had to go down and turn around and come back, they were going to question him, and he had left. I'm not sure if they had the capability to run the plate right then in their car if it was FBI. But at whatever point the license plate was run, it was "not issued" in the DMV system.

BBM....that is a good point. I have also wondered if he was schizophrenic or some other psychological issue, due to a few victims heard what they thought was him talking to himself.
In this video a similar situation occurs .
Guy goes to walk past and back to get a closer look at the perp in a car .
Describes the story in this 7min clip

https://youtu.be/Q6sTf38AFdc

If he was breaking into homes to case them and set them up......back then phone numbers were often printed on the front of the land line phones, many of which were rental property of the phone companies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1