CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His legal wife is a long- standing civil attorney in CA, and he settles for a public defender? With her contacts?
I'd say she's not exactly on his team now.. ha.

I read she was a family law attorney. Do you have a link?

Just watched the ABC news video clip with JJD's court appearance. Law Enforcement officials seem to be on edge. Were there any death threats reported in the news?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspected-golden-state-killer-attends-1st-court-appearance/story?id=54777918

Well it is a big case but usually in that room where people are charged they are in that cage you see in the background. In this case he was wheeled in so I suppose the officers have to be on high alert in this instance since he's not in that cage.

I understand that it's not the only sample, etc.
It has to do with the fact that LE told the public too much.
GEDmatch is now decrying the whole thing as " unauthorized use".

What this could do, and I hope it doesn't, is open the door to doubt of the integrity of the case in total. Evidence, specifically and the legal chain of custody.
Because to the best of my knowledge, what they did was innovative and savvy but I don't know if there are any laws about this type of DNA familial matching, especially in CA, the most liberal state in the US for individual rights of a criminal.

Remember in the O.J. Simpson trial, things started to go south for the prosecution when Mark Fuhrman's racial slur which had been taped 10 years prior was played in court. He had said he didn't use racial slur words, then they played the tape.

After that, ALL of the blood evidence was questioned because he had collected some of it.
The bloody glove was called into question because he had bagged it. Blood evidence on the glove was said to be not valid because the defense found a gap in the legal chain of custody in one of Fuhrman's samples in the lab. Not that Mark didn't maintain legal chain of custody, but that a lab worker failed to initial, date, and log in one specimen he collected.

IMO, in the state of CA ( and FL), if there is any doubt about the handling of evidence, or if the jury does not understand what has been done and why, the case is going to be very hard to win.

We've lived through it with OJ, and in FL, with Casey Anthony, because that jury totally did not understand the forensic testimony. Not one word of it.
You get stupid juros sometimes. I know why LE did what they did at GEDMatch but the jury may not.
A jury only knows who's saying " Objection, your honor" at every turn sometimes.

California is one of 8 states that specifically allows this type of DNA investigations. So, it shouldn’t be a problem.

That could be. I'm not familiar with how GedMatch takes in their data... or if they don't know the source of the lab or company which initially analyzed it.
GED does not supply the data, it's a open site for people to upload the data they already have from another source... think of it like a pot luck dinner where everyone brings a dish to somebodies house... the home owner just supplies the space, the guests supply the meal and everyone shares

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-genealogy-site-serial-killer-20180427-story.html

Police using genetic sites misidentified Oregon man as Golden State serial killer suspect in 2017

[FONT=&amp]Associated Press
APRIL 27, 2018, 6:26 pm

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators hunting down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites last year that led to the wrong man, court records obtained Friday by The Associated Press showed.
An Oregon police officer working at the request of California investigators persuaded a judge to order a 73-year-old man in an Oregon City nursing home to provide a DNA sample.
It's not clear if officers collected the sample and ran further tests, but it was not the man arrested this week outside Sacramento in one of the state's most notorious string of serial rapes and killings.
The case of mistaken identity was discovered as authorities hailed a novel use of DNA technology that led this week to the arrest of former police officer Joseph DeAngelo at his house outside Sacramento on murder charges. He's suspected of being the sadistic attacker who killed 13 people and raped nearly 50 women during the 1970s and '80s.[/FONT]
[...]

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article209973639.html
[FONT=&amp]April 27, 2018 06:45 PM[/FONT]
[...]
Investigators trying to hunt down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites a year ago and misidentified an elderly Oregon man as a possible suspect.

Court records obtained by The Associated Press show that in March 2017 investigators in Clackamas County, Oregon, convinced a judge to order the 73-year-old man to provide a DNA sample.
The documents said they used a genetic profile based off DNA from crime scenes linked to the serial killer and compared it to information from genealogical websites. They created a family tree and used public records to identify the Oregon man.
Investigators also cited a rare genetic marker, which the Oregon man shared with the killer, to get the judge to issue the order.
Earlier this week, police say they arrested the right man for a dozen killings and 50 rapes from 1976 to 1986. He is Joseph DeAngelo, a 72-year-old former police officer who lived in the Sacramento area.
[...]

byhttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-genealogy-site-serial-killer-20180427-story.html

Police using genetic sites misidentified Oregon man as Golden State serial killer suspect in 2017

[FONT=&amp]Associated Press

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators hunting down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites last year that led to the wrong man, court records obtained Friday by The Associated Press showed.
An Oregon police officer working at the request of California investigators persuaded a judge to order a 73-year-old man in an Oregon City nursing home to provide a DNA sample.
It's not clear if officers collected the sample and ran further tests, but it was not the man arrested this week outside Sacramento in one of the state's most notorious string of serial rapes and killings.
The case of mistaken identity was discovered as authorities hailed a novel use of DNA technology that led this week to the arrest of former police officer Joseph DeAngelo at his house outside Sacramento on murder charges. He's suspected of being the sadistic attacker who killed 13 people and raped nearly 50 women during the 1970s and '80s.[/FONT]
[...]
What the what?

Ohh, OK, that makes so much more sense. If that's what they did, it seems to me it's not using deceptive practices, or giving crime scene DNA to a non- authorized lab.
Thank you for clarifying. I haven't been able to open most of the news links today.

My sincerest apologies to all. I totally understand what they did and why they did tell the public. They were discreet and did not send in any actual crime scene DNA.

Mea culpa. Mea culpa.
Here's a pretty good article on how it all came about

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-golden-state-dna-match-20180427-story.html

I think they gave him something like Ativan for agitation. He didn’t get dementia overnight but his behavior some how seems that way. I also think his behavior is real and due to meds or resisting food. He’s on something maybe, shocked, and also not eating? He sounds challenged at the moment...

Regardless of what the cause is fake or not they better make sure this guy is sustained because [emoji79](curse rant) if they excuse it as acting and the
Asshatz diez. No no no. For the sake of the investigation I hope they watch him night and day and day and night and force him to be condemned in person while alive.

If he doesn't want to eat put a feeding tube down his throat even if you have to tie him down.

ID has a GSK special tonight from 10- 11pm EST

Inside Edition also has a GSK special from 10- 10:30pm EST

*CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR CHANNELS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is on tonight at 10:00 p.m., on the ID Channel, Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) in the Los Angeles area.

Yeah, I think it was all a big act to seem pitiable, ohhh, the poor helpless old man. Remember when he screamed and begged "oh my god, don't hurt me, don't hurt me" super pathetically at Officer McGowan and then SHOT AT him? Yeah, I think the wheel chair and the frail voice and the eyes he can barely keep open are all an act.

This. He tried to act compliant enough them quickly shot at McGowan, hit the flashlight which caused it to explode.

Is it known what kind of work he did after being fired from the police force?

Actually some town require a Batchelor's degree to be considered for the force. I wouldn't say he was over-qualified

but maybe for a small town podunk force he was.

That is now though. The 70’s was way different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is on tonight at 10:00 p.m., on the ID Channel, Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) in the Los Angeles area.

It’s 9 pm CT, because it’s on now, which would be 10 Eastern. The time is different on the west coast; that’s not uncommon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-genealogy-site-serial-killer-20180427-story.html

[FONT=&]Associated Press

[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Investigators hunting down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites last year that led to the wrong man, court records obtained Friday by The Associated Press showed.
[...]

From your link:

In fact, officers assigned to a special task force were required to submit saliva samples to exclude anyone who shared a genetic trait, Phillips said. About 85 percent of people secrete their blood type in saliva and body fluids, but the rape suspect was in the roughly 15 percent who didn't.

"Obviously, you didn't want the East Area Rapist on the team," Phillips said. "That turned out to be a pretty good concern."

I had forgotten about this weird genetic trait that he possesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiosities