CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relative's DNA from genealogy websites cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says

Sacramento investigators tracked down East Area Rapist suspect Joseph James DeAngelo using genealogical websites that contained genetic information from a relative, the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office confirmed Thursday.

The effort was part of a painstaking process that began by using DNA from one of the crime scenes from years ago and comparing it to genetic profiles available online through various websites that cater to individuals wanting to know more about their family backgrounds by accepting DNA samples from them, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Grippi.

The investigation was conducted over a long period of time as officials in Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert's office and crime lab explored online family trees that appeared to have matches to DNA samples from the East Area Rapist's crimes, Grippi said. They then followed clues to individuals in the family trees to determine whether they were potential suspects.

The process finally came to fruition last Thursday, when the investigation focused on the possibility that DeAngelo might be a suspect, a suspicion that was bolstered by the fact that he had lived in areas where the attacks occurred and was in the right age range, Grippi said.

That discovery set the investigation into high gear, with Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones' investigators setting up surveillance on DeAngelo in his quiet Citrus Heights neighborhood and obtaining his DNA from something he discarded, Schubert and Jones said at a news conference Wednesday.

Results from comparing that DNA sample to the original crime scene samples were positive for matching DeAngelo to the crimes, Grippi said, but officials wanted the strongest possible link and set out to collect a second, more robust sample.

Those results came back from the D.A.'s crime lab Monday evening, leading to a rush to prepare for an arrest of DeAngelo, an effort that officials said they wanted to make quickly to ensure public safety after a 44-year mystery.

DeAngelo was arrested outside his home Tuesday afternoon and booked into the county jail on two charges of murder in the February 1978 slayings of Katie and Brian Maggiore in Rancho Cordova.

He is expected to face charges in 12 homicide cases in Sacramento, Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties stemming from a rape and slaying spree that authorities say stretched from 1974 through May 1986.

Schubert and Jones have declined to reveal details of how their investigations led them to DeAngelo, but have said that information will be made known publicly soon.

DeAngelo faces arraignment in Sacramento Superior Court on Friday.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209913514.html

I'm glad they double-checked to match his DNA. There are more than a few newbies on the genealogy web sites who are prone to errors. It's referred to as "hit and run" genealogy research. They get names wrong, link up the wrong relatives with similar names, etc. Another reason why LE and the courts should be very, very cautious when using these online DNA databases.

Even Ancestry.com cautions people that DNA matches Ancestry.com's site ranks as a "Good" or lower may not actually be your relative, just someone with similar DNA. I have hundreds of matches to my DNA there that are probably not related to me. Any good genealogist knows you have to validate everything back to a common ancestor through public records (census, marriage, wills/probate), etc. I recently discovered I'm related to Debbie Reynolds. Going back to validate everything, I came across some fairly atrocious genealogy research people had done in trying to link themselves to her.

Jeez, I hope I don't have any serial killers in my family tree.

Partial. Don’t know the exact science of what’s doable with a partial. Lot of offenders on high alert with this news and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a way to celebrate April 25th DNA Day wasn't it?! So excited. Waiting on other cold cases.

I read that Ancestry has a disclaimer that states they cooperate with LE. Also that they release data regarding the number of times they cooperate. Maybe I read that on this thread. The cool part is, you don't even need to alert the family that you're using their tree. Ancestry OWNS all the trees. When you leave, your tree material stays. So if they found a first cousin match or a sibling match, they could use many other means of elimination to track their guy. The relative is probably still clueless. I was just on there. Lots of his mother's family, with lots of information.

I'd love to know who sent in a DNA kit and god bless them.

While some of that is true. As a member of Ancestry you have total control over whether your tree is public, or private and can also click an option to have it not even show up in the search results. When you "leave" Ancestry - you can remove your tree. It will not stay there if you do this.

Also when you do DNA with Ancestry you can choose to have your tree set to public or private.
If it is private no one can see it, unless you invite them.

It may have been Ancestry that LE used, or it could be MyHeritage, 23andme, Gedmatch, DNALand, or a plethora of other sites, all with their own rules/guidelines.

And yes I agree lots of family information to be found. I found enough to do a large detailed tree on JJD and family, and find Bonnie in present day in under an hour. American privacy laws are so lax in this regard compared to Canada, our last public census was 1921. Whereas US' have already released 1940's. Plus marriage/divorce/newspapers are easily accessible.

Correct. You can both delete your DNA file from their records and delete your family tree info, if you wish.

I bet he was peeping, and pantie raiding before any of this, and other peculiarities about him as well. Things from his preadolescence, on.
Just the Excitement crave poem, and the time he mentioned his mother worrying about this guy.
Seems he liked messing with his mother, but not directly. I think he was much too afraid of her to confront her.
I have a feeling his hatred of women in particular stem from his mother. Bonnie throuh no faulf her own just triggered that hatred all the more,one more woman to humuliate him.
I wonder if he was punished by putting teacups on him, and making him stay still for long periods,as well as belittling, and riduculing him. Growing up. He could never measure up to her standards.
I think he was a budding seething sociopath well before Visalia even.

I'd LOVE to know wouldn't you? He seemed to hate his mom.

Wonder why they are not using them for our numerous john and jane doe cases though..

They recently did something similar with Buckskin Jane Doe found in Ohio in the early 80's. Many states may use this tool more for UID's but it's probably a matter of time, expense and personnel.

Correct. You can both delete your DNA file from their records and delete your family tree info, if you wish.

You may delete your tree, but the information you collect and associate with your tree, and all the connections you make stay in their algorithms. They tell you that up front. So when you put your grandparents as married, that "association" becomes part of Ancestry. Like a formula. Everyone should be truly clear now that nothing they put on a site can be completely removed because it can't. The Mormons are too serious about genealogy. It's not a game for them. It's part of their religion. I'm assuming 23 & Me is the same way. Can't say about the lesser sites.

From what I know about my own childhood abuse and having seen 23 therapists, rage against the mother can be strong too when she didn't protect against the father. What's up with his father moving to Korea? Is there a Korea, California?

Is that thing you see on the top of his head something that’s holds on a toupee or wig? It looks like thread sticking out.
2e21acaed0c5a3a1c4a8d5deeb51334c.jpg

I'd love to know who sent in a DNA kit and god bless them.

No, please spare them. I have an ancestor who killed someone in the midst of a drunken fight over a card game back before the Civil War. Genealogists online who know this story treat me rather rudely at times. Our family laughs about it as we're all pretty normal people. None of us have murdered anyone, yet, haha. But, yeah, people can be jerks about it. Go figure.

I read on the earons forum his brother was arrested in the mid 90's for burglary! Anyone have more info on this, that seems significant

From what I know about my own childhood abuse and having seen 23 therapists, rage against the mother can be strong too when she didn't protect against the father. What's up with his father moving to Korea? Is there a Korea, California?

intriguing.

No, please spare them. I have an ancestor who killed someone in the midst of a drunken fight over a card game back before the Civil War. Genealogists online who know this story treat me rather rudely at times. Our family laughs about it as we're all pretty normal people. None of us have murdered anyone, yet, haha. But, yeah, people can be jerks about it. Go figure.

No I hope it stays private. I'm curious but I am thankful for them.

I was thinking his father was likely in the military as well, and was serving abroad. My American military is not as front of the line as my Canadian, forgive me.

Yes. Most serial killers have major Mother Issues. Gary Ridgeway. His mother would march him down the hall naked,and bathe him, paying particular attention to his boy parts when he wet the bed,as an adolescent. She was very harsh and overbearing. She broke a plate over his father's head at the dinner table. His father wasn't much better he would tell him stories about his morgue coworkers doing unnatural things to the dead when he worked there. He also complained about the prostitutes on the bus when was a driver for METRO. So screwed up.
What wonderful parents.

Is that thing you see on the top of his head something that’s holds on a toupee or wig? It looks like thread sticking out.
cache.php

Looks like a band-aid to me?

Saw this mug shot late last night - gave me the heebie-jeebies

Yes. Most serial killers have major Mother Issues. Gary Ridgeway. His mother would march him down the hall naked,and bathe him, paying particular attention to his boy parts when he wet the bed,as an adolescent. She was very harsh and overbearing. She broke a plate over his father's head at the dinner table. His father wasn't much better he would tell him stories about his morgue coworkers doing unnatural things to the dead when he worked there. He also complained about the prostitutes on the bus when was a driver for METRO. So screwed up.
What wonderful parents.

I'm inclined to think there are some individuals who enter a profession for their own personal sick reasons. Such as GR's father's coworkers at the morgue. Or pedophiles who "specialize" in teaching, youth activities, etc. Or JJD, becoming a policeman in order to commit all sorts of crimes.

It's mind boggling to say the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper