CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So from your post above @Seattle1 - I take it they will be finalizing the jury selection today-

Thursday, Sept. 2nd:
*Trial began with Jury Selection (Day 3) (@ 9am PT) - CA – for *Elizabeth A. Holmes (34/now 37) (CEO of Theranos) charged (March, 2018) & indicted (6/14/18) & arraigned (6/15/18) with 9 counts of wire fraud & 2 counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and charged & indicted (4/11/20) with fraud relating to a patient's blood test. Another count of wire fraud was added in 2020, bringing the total number of felony charges to 12. Plead not guilty. No bond. Faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison & up to $2.75 million in fines, plus restitution, & $250K for each individual count of wire fraud & conspiracy.
Defrauding investors out of $700 million in funding for their blood-testing startup Theranos.
Trial began on 8/31/21 with jury selection. The Court trial days will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, possibly other half days. The Court may modify the trial time & set either 8:30am-2pm or 9am-2pm & possibly 30-minute breaks in between. Judge Edward J. Davila presiding. Jury selection on 8/31 & 9/1, trial dates 9/8, 9/10, 9/14, 9/15, 9/17, 9/21, 9/22, 9/24, 9/28, 9/29, 10/1, 10/5, 10/6, 10/8, 10/12, 10/13 so far.

Indictment & court info from 4/11/20 thru 8/26/21 & jury selection (Day 1) 8/31/21 reference post #355 here:
CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

9/1/21 Wednesday, Jury Selection Day 2: A jury in the Holmes fraud trial is expected to be finalized by Thursday 9/2/21 from 41 prospective jurors chosen after two days of intense questioning. The 12-person panel of jurors with five alternates will likely be sworn in after they are seated next Wednesday. Opening statements for the case are expected to begin 9/8/21.
*Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani (53/now 56) (CFO & President of Theranos) – Intervenors motion hearing on 8/26/21 & trial set to begin on 1/11/22 with jury selection & trial starts on 1/18/22.

Yasmin Khorram[URL='https://twitter.com/YasminKhorram']@YasminKhorram[/URL]

Day 2 of jury selection in Elizabeth Holmes’ trial. One potential juror being questioned says she’s seen online memes about Holmes.. “relating to a voice thing” and adds “people speak differently to different people. I don’t find that as anything to sway my opinion.”

11:20 AM · Sep 1, 2021

Replying to
@YasminKhorram
Another potential juror says he advises startups and has heard a considerable amount of information about Theranos at “cocktail parties during the time it happened.” Says he has strong opinions but will try to be objective.

12:18 PM · Sep 1, 2021

Replying to
@YasminKhorram
One juror says he wants Elizabeth Holmes to testify, “I agree that she’s to be assumed not guilty but I would like to hear her side of the story,” adding “it would help me understand what’s happening in this trial.”

2:50 PM · Sep 1, 2021·

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/02/the...olmes-faces-jury-of-seven-men-five-women.html

Sept 2, 2021

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A jury of seven men and five women will decide the fate of Theranos founder and ex-CEO Elizabeth Holmes.

The 12-person panel was selected after two days of intense questioning regarding their knowledge of the failed blood-testing company. If convicted, Holmes could face 20 years in prison

Prosecutors and defense attorneys settled on a diverse set of jurors with regard to race, gender and age. Along with five alternates — two men and three women — the jurors were sworn in Thursday morning at the San Jose, California, federal courthouse. Opening statements are set to begin Wednesday.

[..]

Throughout jury questioning, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila, who’s presiding over the trial, reminded potential jurors about the importance of avoiding media, a particular challenge for a case that’s attracted heavy coverage in Silicon Valley and around the world.

One juror, an older white man, said, “oh boy” after his name was called out to join the jury box.

“Let’s be clear, they know the media is interested in this case,” Davila told the courtroom on Wednesday. He repeatedly told the jurors to “turn off those news feeds.”

She looks a bit rough around the edges. Most likely intentional.
ETA: seems like she is manipulatively looking the jurors in the eye. She is a master manipulator. Definitely trying to appear vulnerable.

Anyone know what her comments outside the courtroom were?

Last edited:
Huh??? And I've had some basic chemistry. What the heck does that even mean?
That could be a basic description of the way most medical blood tests work. And it’s not new or groundbreaking.
I have some experience working in medical labs. Essentially everyone in that field saw that she was a fraud. And the fact that none of her investors came from that field, which has stringent regulatory standards, was a big red flag.

That could be a basic description of the way most medical blood tests work. And it’s not new or groundbreaking.
I have some experience working in medical labs. Essentially everyone in that field saw that she was a fraud. And the fact that none of her investors came from that field, which has stringent regulatory standards, was a big red flag.
I’m so glad there is a thread here, for EH’s trial. I had to laugh when Pesto said, she didn’t have anyone to obsess over the case with. I read “Bad Blood” in fact I couldn’t put it down. I’ve tried to discuss my interest in trial with my husband, to no avail. But here are my fellow sleuth's, I’m looking forward to your commentary. I too, noticed EH’s unkempt hair, so different than her well coiffed look. She’s a cold calculating piece of work. I can’t wait to see the prosecution team at work, and their powerful witnesses. I hope they draw blood, from her. Poetic justice

To me, I interpreted that statement of something like the chemical reaction would generate an electrical charge which would be translated into some kind of biological results. That makes zero sense from a Chemistry perspective. Who does the translating? For what tests? It was so vague.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/02/the...olmes-faces-jury-of-seven-men-five-women.html

Sept 2, 2021

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A jury of seven men and five women will decide the fate of Theranos founder and ex-CEO Elizabeth Holmes.

The 12-person panel was selected after two days of intense questioning regarding their knowledge of the failed blood-testing company. If convicted, Holmes could face 20 years in prison

Prosecutors and defense attorneys settled on a diverse set of jurors with regard to race, gender and age. Along with five alternates — two men and three women — the jurors were sworn in Thursday morning at the San Jose, California, federal courthouse. Opening statements are set to begin Wednesday.

[..]

Throughout jury questioning, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila, who’s presiding over the trial, reminded potential jurors about the importance of avoiding media, a particular challenge for a case that’s attracted heavy coverage in Silicon Valley and around the world.

One juror, an older white man, said, “oh boy” after his name was called out to join the jury box.

“Let’s be clear, they know the media is interested in this case,” Davila told the courtroom on Wednesday. He repeatedly told the jurors to “turn off those news feeds.”
BBM. That's not good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member