GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Department of Defense directive stating 8 year service commitment for ALL who enlist or who are appointed.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/130425p.pdf

What you read is correct. Marines can enlist for 3, 4 or 5 years. BUT in order to receive certain bonuses, educational benefits and programs, choice of assignment, etc...one would need to enlist for 6. This link explains some of those programs.

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step03_enlisted_usmc,,00.html

Not trying to argue either. My hubby has been in recruiting for almost 20 years...he's recruited for active duty Air Force and the Air Force Reserve. While recruiting in the reserve, he recruited prior service members from all branches. He knows the "regs" backwards and forwards. I posted links for verification purposes though.

This rule was effective October 31, 2013 (1st link in post above). Also specifies a waiver (under certain conditions) can reduce the enlisted obligation to six years.
I'm not sure if the same policy that's been in place a long time was renewed again fiscal year 2013 or if it has been that way. This particular agreement is effective for the next five years. But read down a bit and you'll see the six year waiver possibility. Either way, how do we know CL didn't enlist under the six year waiver policy?

Thank you!!!
i understand your concern about the red car not being included in the search warrants released and i would be completely appalled if this guys' earlier statement went completely unnoticed. I'm hoping that just means they did serve a warrant but it's still sealed. I'm just not sure we can conclude that because who ever is managing that fb page (can't remember which one she is) didn't know about the red car, that le did not know. You could be totally correct and they royally screwed up. I'm just not sure we have evidence either way.

On the Enlistment/Reenlistment Document Armed Forces of the United States - it states the following:

Here is a link to the pdf document.

http://tinyurl.com/nb4xww4

Again, there's a waiver available for six year obligations. I'm not trying to be difficult but we don't know the facts about CL. It could very well be either/or from what I've read.

Why is everything always so difficult? Ugh! (I mean getting the facts.)

You are correct about my sloppy use of the title "The Reserves" vs. reservist. I've always called the two weeks, one weekend a month peeps reservists when referring to one person - She's a reservist. But then incorrectly, I guess, I'd say - She's in the Reserves. Meaning with the whole group of people who are reservists.

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...veSupportActivity/IndividualReadyReserve.aspx

In the link above it states, "The majority of Marines in the IRR are former active component Marines who have not completed their Military Service Obligation (MSO), yet have completed their initial contractual period of active duty."

They explain these Marines are usually the grades Lance Corporal to Corporal or young officers. Then,

"The remainder of the IRR consists of Marines who have completed their MSO, yet voluntarily have agreed to remain associated with the Marine Corps, . . ."

I'm confused as to the specifics about CL because the news report stated he had fulfilled his six year contract.
Has his rank been given? Jon is a Corporal after less than three years of service I believe. He joined in 2011 and was promoted in October 2013. So two years, depending on what month he joined.

What am I missing? Can't find eight year rule anywhere. Will you please provide a link that explains your viewpoint? HAVEN'T READ IT YET BUT I SEE YOU POSTED A LINK. Thank you very much. Links are important on WS (or they used to be when you're presenting a fact).

Yeah I guess I get a little touchy when it's called reserves...because I am a reservist I guess. Not the extreme of other branches besides Army being called Soldiers, but I get that too! :yes:

CL did fulfill his enlistment contract of 6 years (meaning 6 years of active service), but because of that 8 year commitment rule (across the board) and him not reenlisting, he still owed the 2 additional years in the IRR. I believe his rank was a Corporal as well.

Something ironic...hubby and I just watched the movie "Seven Psychopaths" and as I looked at the beautiful scenes of the desert, I was thinking about Erin and wondered if those scenes were possibly shot in JTNP. So I googled the movie and sure enough, it said parts of it had been filmed there. Now I truly understand how difficult it would be to try and find Erin in there. Praying for a miracle!

This rule was effective October 31, 2013 (1st link in post above). Also specifies a waiver (under certain conditions) can reduce the enlisted obligation to six years.
I'm not sure if the same policy that's been in place a long time was renewed again fiscal year 2013 or if it has been that way. This particular agreement is effective for the next five years. But read down a bit and you'll see the six year waiver possibility. Either way, how do we know CL didn't enlist under the six year waiver policy?

The link that I gave to the DD Form 4/1 has a date of 2007 on it. I have another link to the same form with a date of 1998 with the same enlistment language of 8 years with at least 4 being in active military. So based on that, the 8 year obligation has been there since 1998.

Again, there's a waiver available for six year obligations. I'm not trying to be difficult but we don't know the facts about CL. It could very well be either/or from what I've read.

You are right. The waiver can be applied, but from what I have heard, it's extremely rare. This article below stated that CL had completed his 6 year enlistment and is serving in the IRR (2 more years, hence the 8 year rule). The article stated that News 8 obtained public military records from the base for CL so I trust the info.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26058825/...ine-wife-continues-new-warrant-details-emerge

I also think the waiver comes into play only when the service member can not fulfill their obligation to the IRR. I would imagine that would be due to injury or illness - something like that, not that they just don't want to be there anymore.

Also from the cbs8 article:

Cpl. Christopher B. Lee, 24, was discharged from the Marine Corps on July 7, 2014 and is currently serving in the Individual Ready Reserve. Cpl. Lee served as a rifleman with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division.

Cpl. Lee entered the Marine Corps July 7, 2008 and received an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps on July 7, 2014.

So that's the full 6 years. Why did he IRR?

Thanks, so CL is a Corporal. How many years does that rank take to achieve? (I read it usually takes 4 years - so Jon apparently made the rank or corporal ahead of time.)
http://www.military-ranks.org/marine-corps/corporal

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear I read where LEO said this is not a criminal investigation...therefore why is this ongoing? They don't search to this extent for every single person that goes missing. I'm a little confused now which isn't hard to do with this particular case. http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/local/2014/07/18/erin-corwin-search-twentynine-palms/12851447/
I mean people leave on their own everyday. Imagine if LEO searched for every single person that went missing in this manner. I guess I'm going by "Not a criminal investigation" so if it's not then why the warrants and why just everything that is going on?

Yes, the LE said this is not a criminal investigation. "When conducting investigations like these, Investigators must keep in mind the potential for this search to turn into a criminal investigation at any time. Therefore, the information released about the search techniques, search areas and interviews will be minimal." https://local.nixle.com/alert/5232316/?sub_id=559556

I do not know why they said that, but their actions show otherwise. Search warrants are not usually issued for missing adult cases if not thought to be a criminal case and/or foul play. I always watch what LE does, more than what they say. Jmo

I agree. That's why it's so confusing to me. The whole thing changes nonstop and makes no sense. Trying to keep up with this case but it's all over the place.

The link that I gave to the DD Form 4/1 has a date of 2007 on it. I have another link to the same form with a date of 1998 with the same enlistment language of 8 years with at least 4 being in active military. So based on that, the 8 year obligation has been there since 1998.

Military Service Obligation (MSO): Anyone inducted, enlisted, or appointed in the Armed Forces on or after 1 June 1984 incurs and 8-year period of obligated service. Any part of this service that is not served on Active Duty will be performed in a Reserve status.

So in the below article it states specifically the 8 year "rule" started on 1 June 1984. Hubby said it was in the 1980s sometime.

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...vidualReserveSupportActivity/Definitions.aspx

You know what really gets me about this case? Okay, a couple of things:

1) I can't help but identify with young Erin, being in love at that age, and the possibilities. It's so easy for your judgment to get clouded. If she were involved in an extra-marital affair, that is relevant to the investigation, but not to her worth as a human being.

2) If in fact a crime was committed by someone who knew Erin and it was unplanned, I find it extremely unlikely- ok, impossible- that suspect would have evaded LE. If it were unplanned, and let's say committed by a 20 something Marine, it would be too difficult to hide all of the evidence. Phone and video records, witness accounts, alibis. Just too difficult. So, if a crime was committed, either her remains are very well hidden because the perp knew where to hide in a pinch but LE has a ton of other stuff pointing to a perp. Unfortunately an arrest is not likely without solid forensic evidence indicating a murder (i.e., a body or a lot of blood). If planned, investigation could be a lot more challenging. If it was a random act by someone unknown to Erin that makes it challenging too, but I sure have a feeling that this wasn't random.

In addition, maybe LE does have phone records or other records indicating that a certain person known to EC was the last verified person to see EC that day. But without any forensic evidence, it would be a big risk for prosecutors to try and convince a jury that this person is responsible beyond a reasonable doubt.

Without finding Erin or a crime scene, LE has a long way to go to consider murder to be likely, and even longer toward bringing charges. Being the last person to see her is not enough, even if that person was involved with Erin. Even if a person initially lies to police, that on its own is not enough. If it is to be a circumstantial case, there has to be a lot of circumstances that cannot be explained away when taken all together. Look at Stacey Peterson, for example; I doubt anyone can seriously believe she is alive and well. Also Susan Powell. And yet their husbands were never charged. Imo, it takes a lot more than suspicious behavior when a body cannot be found. Something like this could stretch out for years, with no named suspect.

Hoping that is not the case, of course. Hoping LE comes up with something solid enough to possibly coax a confession, if they in fact do have a suspect and that they will be led to Erin, if in fact she has been murdered. Otherwise, the chances of finding her seem slim, and evidence is probably mostly gone already. Jmo

Military Service Obligation (MSO): Anyone inducted, enlisted, or appointed in the Armed Forces on or after 1 June 1984 incurs and 8-year period of obligated service. Any part of this service that is not served on Active Duty will be performed in a Reserve status.

So in the below article it states specifically the 8 year "rule" started on 1 June 1984. Hubby said it was in the 1980s sometime.

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...vidualReserveSupportActivity/Definitions.aspx

Respectfully, is there some way in which the minutia of military service obligations factors into Erin's case? If so, can you please help those of us with no military service understand what that is? Thanks very much!

Something ironic...hubby and I just watched the movie "Seven Psychopaths" and as I looked at the beautiful scenes of the desert, I was thinking about Erin and wondered if those scenes were possibly shot in JTNP. So I googled the movie and sure enough, it said parts of it had been filmed there. Now I truly understand how difficult it would be to try and find Erin in there. Praying for a miracle!

Where did you find that movie pray tell? That was really observant of you - I mean, there are lots of deserts!

o/t - yesterday I stopped in my local library. There are books peeps have mentioned on WS that I've not read.
So I asked if they had the book, The Psychopath Next Door. She really tried to find it for me on the computer and finally I said, ty but that's ok. When I got home I'm like wth? So I googled and the book title is The Sociopath Next Door. Duh! But there is a movie called, The Psychopath Next Door.
Did I mention the librarian was looking at me sort of funny. :crazy:

Respectfully, is there some way in which the minutia of military service obligations factors into Erin's case? If so, can you please help those of us with no military service understand what that is? Thanks very much!

You didn't ask me but because I'm a part of the discussion here's why it is important to me.
CL hasn't been named a suspect but I hope this is alright for me to explain. If he is named one, it would be important to know why he left the service at precisely this time. AND if he signed up voluntarily for additional years (the IRR thing) or if that is an obligation. That's why the subject is important to me. Because, if everything everyone is suspicious of is true, I'd want to get out of Dodge if I were him, not keep my name on a list for future duty.

Also o/t but oh my goodness woe I can only imagine the librarian's face! I sometimes wonder what horrible things people would be thinking if they looked up some of my past searches when I'm trying to figure out info on cases here.

Back on the topic of Erin I can't stop thinking about her today. So we know roughly what time she left, have a ranger reporting a possible sighting in the park (but I don't recall a time being mentioned on that), and a possible - IMO likely - sighting where her car was found. From her husband we also have her "maybe" going to the ranch. Have we heard anything about whether or not she did end up going to the ranch that day? Assuming she went to the park, did she maybe go to the ranch before or after? More than anything I want to know who was truly the last person to see her, and where they saw her. Maybe LE already knows this info.

I was answering questions from another member who wanted clarification on military obligations and service commitments. IMHO, it only factors into EC's case in this way: CL was listed in the article I posted above as being the owner of the Jeep and the (former) occupant of the home listed in the search warrants. CL recently separated from the USMC and his service information was listed in that same article. So...my guess would be that others might want to know details of his separation from active duty???

Any other sluethers want to weigh in on how this honestly factors into this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyOfDragons