Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were they going out camping and she didn't want to bring expensive items out for that reason? I know tourists are targeted often because they often carry cash and their valuables with them. If she was able to leave them in his house locked up, then that might have felt safer than bringing them everywhere they went?

Edited to add: I lived in Hawaii for a few years and the location was very touristy. So many tourists arrive and don't want to leave valuables in their hotel so they would have things in their rental car.. stop at lookout points, go to the beach or other activites and then their cars get broken into and passports, IDs, everything stolen. People always warned them not to put them in their car, but people don't think it would happen.

If some areas they were traveling through was very touristy and she felt more comfortable leaving her items in his house that does make sense. She didn't need her passport or all her luggage all the time during the trip and risk them being stolen or lost?
I agree with that, I too have gone on camping, hiking, kayaking trips while on holiday somewhere, and just carried the minimum essentials I need, leaving my luggage, passport, credit cards and extra cash in safe storage.

JMO

At this moment this is our opinion as well
... what happened on 21st 22.30pm since Fitzpatrick did enter Marine base or officially not or yes ? Alot of strange things happened ... because they never drove by night and would go camping that nigh without taking her pasportt and any of her luggage ?????

I'm confused. Do you actually have knowledge that he did enter the Navy Base (I don't think it's a Marine base, btw). On the 21st, they are still very close to where he lives. Do we know they just didn't go to his place?

How do you know where her luggage and passport are? I don't know about Fang's habits, but no matter where I am, I do not carry my passport with me (I know that some nations have laws that we have to have them with us, but IME, no one enforces that and the danger of losing one is too high for me). I have been very curious about the luggage/possessions issues - as the truck never seems to be loaded with much in it.

Do we really know that they ever went camping (except in Thermal)? In that picture on the 21st, they appear to be very near to Morongo Valley and headed in that direction. So the camping would have begun on the 22nd.

Is there any possibility that Jin Fang would leave her phone behind - if rushed? I believe they were likely in Morongo Valley on the 21st - but then...what happens to her phone? She could have been jetlagged, forgotten her charger, etc (I am known to do that kind of thing).

I don't think they went camping on the night of the 21st. When do you think they visited the base? I would write to the Base Commander about this. You should get a reply.

IMO

I'm looking at my AllTrails app and I see a second trail in that area called Sunset Mountain Trail. It is 9.9 miles long though. I see the mention of the canyon trail there, but not the other one so thought I'd mention it. I see a couple primitive camping grounds close by there also.

Yes, I would (trailers are pretty much as secure as houses). But do we have actual knowledge that Jin Fang did so? I must have missed that, so would love if someone mentioned which number post that was in.
From Mark:
"At this moment this is our opinion as well
... what happened on 21st 22.30pm since Fitzpatrick did enter Marine base or officially not or yes ? Alot of strange things happened ... because they never drove by night and would go camping that nigh without taking her pasportt and any of her luggage ?????"

I think they mean a mobile home.
I think so too.

I am thinking now we know that she and he had been talking as more than a tour guide and tourist and that is 100% okay. Nothing wrong with meeting someone and talking to them, visiting, etc. If we think of it like that and she arrives and is excited to explore the US.. she trusts him, has been talking to him for months, and they are heading out for adventures. then why not leave those items locked up in the house vs bringing it all along on every adventure? All I am saying is I can see that happening and it being innocent, nothing nefarious so far.

I am not saying nothing criminal happened, I don't know, but her leaving those things in his house isn't indicative to me that he did something bad to her. Sounds like they headed out for tourist stuff. If she was visiting for 3 months, then that could be quite a bit of luggage.. no need to bring ALL her stuff everywhere.

I think so too.

I am thinking now we know that she and he had been talking as more than a tour guide and tourist and that is 100% okay. Nothing wrong with meeting someone and talking to them, visiting, etc. If we think of it like that and she arrives and is excited to explore the US.. she trusts him, has been talking to him for months, and they are heading out for adventures. then why not leave those items locked up in the house vs bringing it all along on every adventure? All I am saying is I can see that happening and it being innocent, nothing nefarious so far.

I am not saying nothing criminal happened, I don't know, but her leaving those things in his house isn't indicative to me that he did something bad to her. Sounds like they headed out for tourist stuff. If she was visiting for 3 months, then that could be quite a bit of luggage.. no need to bring ALL her stuff everywhere.
I completely agree.
This is the “innocent sightseers version."

Would you leave your money and passport in a trailer while going out ?
JMHO, if they were using his home as base for their short trips, then yes. Personally, I wouldn’t take a wad of cash out with me while going out to the desert. I also do not carry my passport around with me either when touring / adventuring - I leave it in a secure location.

Could they both be victims of foul play? Someone close enough to know of their relationship and their general plans?

I'm actually leaving now now to accident. Left her phone and valuables ay home because they'd have his phone. Leave rarly in the day, rugged hike... an unforeseen delay can become a catastrophe all too quickly...

jmo

Could they both be victims of foul play? Someone close enough to know of their relationship and their general plans?

I'm actually leaving now now to accident. Left her phone and valuables ay home because they'd have his phone. Leave rarly in the day, rugged hike... an unforeseen delay can become a catastrophe all too quickly...

jmo
I am leaning accident/misadventure, too.
Although I have a hard time with anyone going out in that heat and sun. Unbearable.

jmo
I think it is a possibility.

Her phone could have an innocent explanation also. Possibly a charger issue? Would she be able to get a charger for her phone in the US? Maybe the charger was left behind accidently and she couldn't charge it back up? Something awful happens in that next day or so and his phone last pings before it dies. I think knowing what he did and what his phone did from the 22-24 would be the key to most of those questions.

jmo
I think it would make sense for both to be victims. We don't know if they weren't spending time with other people, do we?

Would you leave your money and passport in a trailer while going out ?
What I mean is—she has been gone a long time now, and if it was meant to be a long extended trip like this, then yes, I’d expect she would have packed more belongings and take her passport with her. JMO

As a foreigner in another country, I may be wrong, but I thought it is advised you carry your passport with you. I was in Japan this summer (I’m American), I read I should do this, so I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaggieX