CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Guys! This is AWESOME!

Here is a list of Top 10 Senior Bars in San Francisco from Yelp! @Ciriii57 in the body of the email, you could ask them to put up Farren's poster in their business! The people would all have been Farren's age at the time he was last in SF, if they lived there as well!

Satch
Thanks @Satch will do! It's on my list!

I just had an email from the Stanislaus county coroner's office. Apparently no, not all of their cases have been entered into NamUs and they are checking their files and will get back to me.

So, intersting to know that there are cases not in NamUs and I wonder how many other counties this is true for.
Stanislaus wasn't high on my list as it's a bit far out from SF but that means nothing really I suppose.

I really think that it should be the law that all cases go into NamUs!

I am on a roll!

Here are directory listings of all businesses in the Castro District:

Satch

Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet ArchiveHere is an interesting grass-roots type publication of a Tenderloin housing rights and support group from April 1980. A very different take on the suburb, the hotel and the issues facing the community. The same editor seems to run the same organisation today… so I have emailed them. (Don’t want to write name here so it’s not coming up in every single google search for them!!) Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet ArchiveHere is an interesting grass-roots type publication of a Tenderloin housing rights and support group from April 1980. A very different take on the suburb, the hotel and the issues facing the community. The same editor seems to run the same organisation today… so I have emailed them. (Don’t want to write name here so it’s not coming up in every single google search for them!!) Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
How interesting! That is a different take, so nice to get a feeling of where Farren was.
I notice there was an anti war/anti nuclear protest on the day he called home.

Guys,

Here are more gay bars in San Francisco. Some are on Market Street where the National Hotel is located!

Another site with more San Francisco gay bars. (Some might be the same as above.)

Satch
These sites are the same. So only need to visit one link! Sorry for the double post.

Satch

Hi, i definitely didn’t mean to imply that this Grady guy was a criminal himself! Just that there were a lot of stories in the Gay Crusader that made the joint sound like there was crime and violence around. There’s also a lot of random stuff written in there and like I said, is this gossip rubbish or is this all a big Injoke for those in the know, or is it part truth or whole?

the hotel changed hands at some point in the early 80s. But I still think the material from the last 70s is relevant as scene setting.

The first two grabs are from 1976 and the third is a front page from 1977
Newsweek article about the gentleman who edited and published the Gay Crusader. A polarising figure, so it seems, who briefly encouraged and organised an armed self defence league, the Lavendar Panthers, in San Francisco for gay men to defend themselves (such was the extent of the danger they faced at that time).

How interesting! That is a different take, so nice to get a feeling of where Farren was.
I notice there was an anti war/anti nuclear protest on the day he called home.
This is great!

On what page was the anti-war protest? I did not see that. But it is a nice feeling to see and read the events and the times associated with the Tenderloin Community when Farren was there! I'll bet he read this paper!

Satch

What strikes me about this case is that Farren left rural Oregon, came all the way to SF and never seemed to make it further than the residential hotel across the street from the bus station. Farren was a handsome kid and I am reminded of predators that make it their business to prey on naive kids arriving in the big city by bus. I wonder if Farren met someone who offered to help him out by giving him a place to stay and he ended up in a bad situation. I think the mention of him “visiting” someone at the hotel is notable. It’s such a random thing to say if he just lived there with a bunch of friends (wouldn’t he be visiting friends all the time?). Maybe visiting in this context is more like when you have a guest visiting from out of town aka staying with you.

This is great!

On what page was the anti-war protest? I did not see that. But it is a nice feeling to see and read the events and the times associated with the Tenderloin Community when Farren was there! I'll bet he read this paper!

Satch
It's on page 8 of the publication.

Satch

The poster looks great @Ciriii57. Let me know if you hear back from TB.

I found a bookstore in San Francisco called Bolerium Books. They have a large collection of Gay Studies (12,000 plus and some are NSFW) and it includes publications outside of San Francisco, like New York, Chicago, etc. I missed that they specialize in out of print items before I started checking to see if any of those publications were still active to see if maybe we could send the poster to them since people may have moved around the country since 1980. I think at the current time it would be too much effort to find ones that are current, but maybe something to keep in mind.

I found another paper from San Francisco called The Voice. The link has some issues from 1979-1981 for more reading about the time frame.

Everyone, you're all amazing! Your ideas and thoughts and action on this are truly incredible. I have plenty of places to contact, and I can't wait to hear if you all get any info.

I have heard back from the News Editor of the Bay Area Reporter. She is intrigued as she has worked there since 1996 (when RC placed the ad) and has not heard of this case (not surprising) and has asked further questions. In her last message she asked if I am gay and if Farren was. (not sure how my sexuality is relevant but I'm happy to answer her!)

I also heard from the Santa Cruz County Coroner. They checked and no records of anyone matching Farren. So he isn't there! Can cross it off.

What strikes me about this case is that Farren left rural Oregon, came all the way to SF and never seemed to make it further than the residential hotel across the street from the bus station. Farren was a handsome kid and I am reminded of predators that make it their business to prey on naive kids arriving in the big city by bus. I wonder if Farren met someone who offered to help him out by giving him a place to stay and he ended up in a bad situation. I think the mention of him “visiting” someone at the hotel is notable. It’s such a random thing to say if he just lived there with a bunch of friends (wouldn’t he be visiting friends all the time?). Maybe visiting in this context is more like when you have a guest visiting from out of town aka staying with you.
Yep, another of the many mysteries.
It's never really been satisfactorily ascertained what this comment even means.

-was he visiting a gay man at the hotel? (This doesn't seem to make sense since we know he was living at the hotel)
-was he visiting a gay man somewhere else?
(This directly refutes his roommates comments that he went to work)
-was he visiting with/staying with a gay man?
(But we think he had roommates plural and it begs the question if he already know this person,how?)
-did he work with this gay man?
(But again, why not just say he went to work)
This vague comment makes little sense and thats why we need someone who can put it into context for us.

It's also important to bear in mind that the only source for this is an interview RC gave to The Oregonian. It's not clear if he is directly quoting the conversation he had or even if he misinterpreted it.
My own thoughts are that there is more to it that we don't know, if he managed to speak to someone who remembered Farren I think the conversation would have been more than 1 sentence.

I think what you say about Farren meeting some nefarious person is very likely...were there really people just waiting at the bus terminus to take advantage? Thats terrifying! What would be their end game?

I am very interested in how Farren had met his roommates. Would the hotel have just placed him in a room with strangers? If I were paying for a room I wouldn't accept that! So he must have known these guys. Had they met on the bus and decided to share once they arrived in SF? Did he meet them in SF and they invited him to stay, perhaps he's stayed somewhere else first? Maybe he already knew them from John Day or even Medford?
I always found it odd that the hotel claimed Farren had an unpaid bill when he was sharing a room since this hotel charged by the room so it would have fallen on his roomates to pay the bill, right?

One of the ads for The National I came across said something like "$20 a night, includes a friend too" and this immediately made me think the hotel was letting out rooms nightly to sex workers.

Just putting it out there but is there any evidence, or even likelihood, that this hotel was operating as a gay brothel as well?

In spite of all the talk about the hotel I must say my own thoughts keep coming back to Farren going to work and meeting foul play there. I have this image of him working the late shift and his boss or colleague offering him a ride....My own speculation of course.

Hi,

<modsnip>

It's so hard because we really can't take much of anything as absolute fact. The hotel manager likely didn't have first hand information about Farren's daily activities. He probably only knew the bill wasn't paid and Farren was gone.

Even the statement that he left for work might have been an assumption on the part of his roommates. I'm sure that if one of my family members saw me up and getting ready on a weekday and then I left, they'd say I left for work even if I didn't specifically say "I'm going to work." Maybe he didn't tell anyone he lost his job and was out looking for another one?

Personally I don't find the manager suspicious. He probably (imo) had little direct interaction with Farren and probably only asked where he was when the bill went unpaid. He might have remembered Farren because of his grandmother calling looking for him. She may have called there more times than we know about too, asking if he came back. Then you add to that the fact that the uncle called at least 10 years later... and then I don't recall exactly when DC spoke to the newspaper but I can understand how exact wording could get lost in all those years.

I'm not even sure where the account of him leaving for work came from, did Sgt Rand ever clarify that? It was my understanding that JDPD didn't do anything back then other than take a report, so I can only guess that it came from either the grandmother or from DC. That would mean one of them simply left that bit out in their interviews. Unless I am missing something, which I very well could be...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure where the account of him leaving for work came from, did Sgt Rand ever clarify that? It was my understanding that JDPD didn't do anything back then other than take a report, so I can only guess that it came from either the grandmother or from DC. That would mean one of them simply left that bit out in their interviews. Unless I am missing something, which I very well could be...
Hey @Odyssey ! Hope you're doing well!
From what I understood (though I could definitely be wrong)
1) Grandma called the hotel and was told that Farren had not returned, leaving an unpaid bill and all his belongings
2)JDPD called the hotel, spoke to the people he was living with and was told that he had left for work and not returned
3)no more contact until Uncle visits 10 years later
From what Sgt Rand had said I thought that JDPD had at least called the hotel to get the facts at the time as he states these things are the only things he knows to be factual.(I must add here though that I did think it odd that if JDPD had spoken to anyone then they didn't record their names!) Which would make sense. He said:
The only things I know to be factual are that the last time anyone had spoken to or seen from Farren was 4-26-80 and he was in San Francisco. The place he was staying in was apparently a type of low rent flop house and the people he was living with stated he left for work and never came back. Farren left what few belongings he possessed where he was staying.
I could be wrong. And yes, you could be correct, his roomates could have just assumed he left for work.
In fact now I am looking at this statement it also kind of reads like maybe the last time his roommates saw or heard from him was also 26th April, but I think by anyone he meant "family" specifically.

Since Sgt Rand seems happy that the roommates were correct in what they said, and this is in the case file, I am also happy to go along with this. We have to believe some things as truth and work from there otherwise there are just too many variables and we may as well give up. The gay man comment does not appear in Farren's case file since it was an unverified comment made to RC years later...perhaps it should be included, I don't know.

I think the interview with the Oregonian was more about what RC had done in trying to find Farren rather than Farren himself. So I am not surpirised that this wasn't mentioned as it was before his time.

My own opinion, but with everything we now know about the area, and specifically about this hotel, then I am more inclined to see the manager's comments as iffy...it not downright suspicious.
As you said the hotel workers were unlikely to know Farren's day-to-day movements or have much interaction-so I have to ask myself in that case, how did they not only remember him 10 years later, but specifically remember both where he was going AND who he was seeing? They certainly didn't just assume he had left for work...they specifically remembered something different. Even if we don't know the whole story of that conversation, they must have certainly intimated that Farren was seeing a gay man, thus spurring RC's ad placements in the gay press and comments to the Oregonian.
JMO but I do believe that someone who worked at that hotel has more info.

Last edited:
Newsweek article about the gentleman who edited and published the Gay Crusader. A polarising figure, so it seems, who briefly encouraged and organised an armed self defence league, the Lavendar Panthers, in San Francisco for gay men to defend themselves (such was the extent of the danger they faced at that time).
Hi @KathPlumber You didn't post the link to the newsweek article but is this person Raymond Broshears? Because I just came across his name and wow...involved with the assassination of JFK, an evangelical preacher, tried to overthrow the US government, set up a gay militia and started the first ever gay pride parade!
This guy had LOTS of enemies in SF too!
Most probably unrelated to Farren but if this guy and the owner of The National didn't get along..well...

Unrelated to this case but again, an interesting read for those who wish to get an idea of SF at the time. The below wikipedia article is a useful breakdown of his life:

Hey @Odyssey ! Hope you're doing well!
From what I understood (though I could definitely be wrong)
1) Grandma called the hotel and was told that Farren had not returned, leaving an unpaid bill and all his belongings
2)JDPD called the hotel, spoke to the people he was living with and was told that he had left for work and not returned
3)no more contact until Uncle visits 10 years later
From what Sgt Rand had said I thought that JDPD had at least called the hotel to get the facts at the time as he states these things are the only things he knows to be factual.(I must add here though that I did think it odd that if JDPD had spoken to anyone then they didn't record their names!) Which would make sense. He said:

I could be wrong. And yes, you could be correct, his roomates could have just assumed he left for work.
In fact now I am looking at this statement it also kind of reads like maybe the last time his roommates saw or heard from him was also 26th April, but I think by anyone he meant "family" specifically.

Since Sgt Rand seems happy that the roommates were correct in what they said, and this is in the case file, I am also happy to go along with this. We have to believe some things as truth and work from there otherwise there are just too many variables and we may as well give up. The gay man comment does not appear in Farren's case file since it was an unverified comment made to RC years later...perhaps it should be included, I don't know.

I think the interview with the Oregonian was more about what RC had done in trying to find Farren rather than Farren himself. So I am not surpirised that this wasn't mentioned as it was before his time.

My own opinion, but with everything we now know about the area, and specifically about this hotel, then I am more inclined to see the manager's comments as iffy...it not downright suspicious.
As you said the hotel workers were unlikely to know Farren's day-to-day movements or have much interaction-so I have to ask myself in that case, how did they not only remember him 10 years later, but specifically remember both where he was going AND who he was seeing? They certainly didn't just assume he had left for work...they specifically remembered something different. Even if we don't know the whole story of that conversation, they must have certainly intimated that Farren was seeing a gay man, thus spurring RC's ad placements in the gay press and comments to the Oregonian.
JMO but I do believe that someone who worked at that hotel has more info.

The main thing that keeps me iffy on him leaving for work is that nobody seemed to ask where he worked. Especially if the police got that info directly from the roommates, it just seems like the obvious next step would be to call the job to see if he ever arrived.

I do think his roommates said that and I don't think anyone is lying but I can't wrap my head around the police not thinking to check with his employer. The grandmother, maybe... but the police? Just seems odd to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back