CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I thought oceanblueeyes was referring to the JUDGE when posting he is going to be completely exhausted at the end of the day. I do agree though, Rob is doing a fantastic job with the reporting/tweeting and will be exhausted at the end of the day too.

Thanks. Yes I was talking about the judge. Lol

Imo

So more of the same...:rolleyes:

McGee complaining that the prosecutors went to the defense witnesses to get their reports last week, because defense hasn't provided discovery yet, and the prosecution complaining that this is defense by ambush, and the defense complaining that the prosecution conducted their case by ambush.

Judge ended up by telling defense they would have to file a motion if they want to allege prosecutorial misconduct, he was not prepared to go into it this morning with the witness scheduled and the jury waiting.

The judge said he would hold a hearing for prosecutorial misconduct. He agreed that the prosecutor's could contact their witnesses, however, it's not as clear about demanding all notes, bench notes, etc from the potential witness and should have gone through the attorney's.

A lot of these hearings IMO are for the record and for any issues later. If the defense and/or the State do not raise the issue at the time, they can't say something later in appeals, etc.

The judge said he would hold a hearing for prosecutorial misconduct. He agreed that the prosecutor's could contact their witnesses, however, it's not as clear about demanding all notes, bench notes, etc from the potential witness and should have gone through the attorney's.

A lot of these hearings IMO are for the record and for any issues later. If the defense and/or the State do not raise the issue at the time, they can't say something later in appeals, etc.
BBM I think he said the defense would need to file a motion.

BBM I think he said the defense would need to file a motion.
Yes, but the judge said he would hold a hearing if they wanted them to, so I don't expect him to deny the motion outright. I don't think there will be any big bombshell developments over it, but they need to do it to preserve the record in case it becomes relevant later in appeal. JMO

So more of the same...:rolleyes:

McGee complaining that the prosecutors went to the defense witnesses to get their reports last week, because defense hasn't provided discovery yet, and the prosecution complaining that this is defense by ambush, and the defense complaining that the prosecution conducted their case by ambush.

Judge ended up by telling defense they would have to file a motion if they want to allege prosecutorial misconduct, he was not prepared to go into it this morning with the witness scheduled and the jury waiting.

Wait, I just reread your post.

You mean to tell me the defense hasn't turned over required discovery on their experts when the defense case is beginning???

I've never heard of such a thing happening in any other case.

CA is a reciprocal discovery state. So it seems the defense is purposefully sandbagging.

If I l was the state I would be the one to file a motion on unethical misconduct by the defense.

Imo

Last edited:
LOL I thought oceanblueeyes was referring to the JUDGE when posting he is going to be completely exhausted at the end of the day. I do agree though, Rob is doing a fantastic job with the reporting/tweeting and will be exhausted at the end of the day too.
you mean she wasn't talking about the judge? haha

Meh, I don't read much into that stuff lol If we had a "Chase cam" to show us his reaction to everything, maybe, but we only see bits and pieces when L&C wanted to show us.
I do. Jurors do, too. They observe the defendant, as they should. Take stock of everything going down: Witnesses and attorneys, as well. Yes, it's about the evidence but everything else comes into play. MOO.

Rob McMillan‏Verified account @abc7robmcmillan 3m3 minutes ago
They’re now watching the surveillance video in a repeated loop. The defense is arguing the evidence of the light, reflection, source of light, etc. They are trying to get the expert to say it could be another vehicle and NOT Charles Merritt’s truck.

Video at link:
Rob McMillan on Twitter

Rob McMillan‏Verified account @abc7robmcmillan 1m1 minute ago
Defense to expert: “Aren’t you showing bias?” He accuses expert of trying to find whatever evidence matches the theory he wants to reach.”

Wait, I just reread your post.

You mean to tell me the defense hasn't turned over required discovery on their experts when the defense case is beginning???

I've never heard of such a thing happening in any other case.

CA is a reciprocal discovery state. So it seems the defense is purposefully sandbagging.

If I l was the state I would be the one to file a motion on unethical conduct by the defense.

Imo

I would have to listen again, but I think maybe they got the reports, they wanted bench notes, notes, etc. Will listen again later :)

To be clear though... the prosecutor's have done the same ocean. They did it with Dr. Rudin (remember there was a hearing and we found out that notes, etc. were also not handed over but the defense didn't contact him directly to ask), the witness that is testifying today was only hired after they decided to not call Dr. Rudin, so they actually did not give the defense 30 days either, which apparently, is permissible LOL I think the argument that the defense was saying, they gave them a list, but they have not decided who they are calling and when they do, they will notify the prosecutor's (paraphrasing). There was a hearing early on in this case and the prosecutor said the same thing, and they told the defense they can "find" contact information in the police reports, etc. <<< IMO that was not very 'ethical' either, but it is what it is lol

This isn't a pro defense, or pro prosecutor thing... this is just how it's done there from my understanding throughout this trial IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay