CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol! Yes that is exactly who I was talking about.

Poor man having to deal with those who act like juveniles! Lmbo

Acting like juveniles? I didn't hear that at all. Not today, not any day before this...from either side. I heard professionals, both from the prosecution and defense, addressing a concern and passionately arguing their side of things. Isn't that their job?

Let me say this, if I were on trial FOR MY LIFE, I would hope that my defense team would "act like juveniles" whenever they feel necessary in order to provide me with the best defense possible. And if I had already lost my life as in the case of the McStay family, I would hope that the prosecution team would "act like juveniles" whenever they feel necessary to ensure that my killer was convicted and punished appropriately.

All IMO.

Isn't it funny that after 2 months of trial... I would not be able to tell you which one is Imes and which is Daugherty? LOL I wonder if McGee/Imes/Daugherty have actually worked together when McGee was a prosecutor?

I do agree though, it is what it is! It's part of the trial. Every objection is for the record, every motion is for the record. :)

Daughtery is the quiet one, Imes is the boisterous guy.

I agree.

Wasnt there another reporter from CBS that was also tweeting at one time about this case? I remember one of our posters was putting up some of her tweets.

I cant believe they don't have a pool camera set up by a large news outlet in the area.

Florida always has them in high profile cases in that state.

Imo

I'm surprised too, esp. given early on, after CM was arrested, there was a request from media for a camera in the courtroom for every hearing (don't think they were ever allowed though, all we saw were a pic of Merritt in an article later). It's really disappointing how it's being covered now that trial is finally here.

hmmm is Daugherty the one that sounds bored all the time? haha I believe they have the same 'shape' LOL So it's hard to tell from behind.

Yes; Daughtery is the one who gave the opening statement, the most energy I've seen from him all the trial long. lol I hope Imes does the closing, I wanna hear him get all vocal in front of the jury.

I'm surprised too, esp. given early on, after CM was arrested, there was a request from media for a camera in the courtroom for every hearing (don't think they were ever allowed though, all we saw were a pic of Merritt in an article later). It's really disappointing how it's being covered now that trial is finally here.

Rob McMillan told me he has been following since the bodies were found. He actually interviewed Merritt in jail (it was at a time that he was representing himself), and was at the preliminary hearing.

I went and found the article, nothing earth shattering in it though lol

Man accused in McStay killings gives interview

He also did say:
Unfortunately, we won’t be able to cover it daily. We will do the best we can.

Keep in mind these replies started with the following:
Pure speculation? Has there been any sign that Chase wanted to be the focus of Joey's life?
Thankfully, statements like "so-and-so is my best friend, but I am not his best friend" in no way indicate wanting more attention from the so and so, let alone hating not to be the focus of so-and-so's life. This is not about a romantic relationship.
A romantic relationship? - your inference, not mine. I believe that, apart from Joey being his own cash cow, Merritt wanted to be of more personal importance in Joey's life than what he actually was, and he blamed Summer down to the ground for it. The termination of the money train and the coveted "friendship" led to the demise of this family.

As to speculation, to a greater and lesser degree that's what we all do here - speculate. It goes with the territory.

IMO

One reason for someone “only having a bachelor’s” would be—if they’ve been on the cutting edge of their specialty ever since they graduated—researching, designing, creating

Hmm, I don't see the cause and effect here.

That said, I mention it only because his schooling was included in the post I quoted.

rsbm

See, this is where I believe there is definitely a double standard when looking at prosecution vs. defense.

The prosecution literally just hired the guy last week that testified today. So what were they doing for the last 4 + years since they charged Merritt with this crime? Shouldn't they also have had their ducks in a row long before the trial started? What does that say about the prosecution then? And then to say that the defense should be prepared when the prosecution is hiring new experts so late in the trial is a bit disingenuous IMO

I see the games from both sides of this trial. I somewhat 'expect' it from the defense, because we do see that all the time, I cannot recall another trial though that the prosecution has done some of the things this one has. All JMO
There's only Dr Rudin that I can think of, and something obviously went wrong with him for the prosecution to have to find a late replacement. I'm sure the judge would have given the defense extra time to prepare for cross-examination if they needed it or asked for it, but they didn't.

The complaint about the forensic accountant not providing a report was not upheld - he didn't go beyond the scope of the charts and graphs he prepared which the defense already had. And he was only hired late in response to defense's November submissions.

I cannot recall another trial though that the prosecution has done some of the things this one has.

So what else has the prosecution done then?

One prosecution witness doesn't compare with the defense not letting the prosecution know the day before their case is opening who they are going to call and what they are going to be testifying to. That is just going to cause delays while the prosecution prepares.

JMO

A romantic relationship? - your inference, not mine. I believe that, apart from Joey being his own cash cow, Merritt wanted to be of more personal importance in Joey's life than what he actually was, and he blamed Summer down to the ground for it. The termination of the money train and the coveted "friendship" led to the demise of this family.

As to speculation, to a greater and lesser degree that's what we all do here - speculate. It goes with the territory.

IMO

Baseless speculations ... do no good.

SMR, I totally appreciate your point of view and the effort made with your well thought out posts here.

I do want to ask this though, about your statement, that there is nothing to show a 'violent' nature or a 'motive.'

Although thievery, burglary and selling stolen property is not considered 'violence', I see it as a cousin to violence. You are physically 'asaulting' someone in a forceful way, and in a way that makes other feel violated and attacked. And it takes a very low integrity person with a lack of empathy and compassion to steal from a wide range of people in their lives. From strangers, to clients to friends and family. And to do so for decades.

Also, your mention of the lack of motive -----I see a few intertwined motives. And there is a reason that the state is emphasizing the Gambling Addiction information. There are many murders that stem from addicted perpetrators. Addiction can take over and infiltrate some people's lives until they are capable of violent reactions to the life circumstances they created by lying and stealing from others. At some point they can become cornered and there seems to other way out.

His defenders like to say ' maybe he stole from his boss, but that doesn't mean he murdered him.' Sure, that is true.

But it could make him the most likely suspect because he stole thousands from him days before, and continuously thereafter. And in such a way that Joey would not be blind to it. So Chase had trapped himself into a corner.

I see that as a viable murder. Years of stress from being a lying, thieving person, hiding behind the cowboy hat of the good ol boy, that is everyone's friend. When in reality, there are dozens of victims, filing complaints and lawsuits and tax liens and judgements against him, piling up and up and up.

And meanwhile his boss and mentor is finally beginning to lose faith in him and is cutting back his pay, calling in the debts between them, and farming out most of the welding to others.

Right when these million dollars orders are about to roll in, Joey is backing away and cutting him out. I think that is why Chase suddenly began stealing from Joey so blatantly as he knew it was coming to an end.

Stealing is not violence. I don't know what 'cousin' means to some, but okay if you say it's 'cousin' to violence because they are both crimes, then I say stealing is not brother or sister or spouse to violence. There are thousands of thieves who are far from being violent.

Do you believe JM was tortured before killed? If so, why did the killer torture him?

Last edited:
Don't shoot the messenger please....BUT

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 7m7 minutes ago
#McStay - Court only in session 2 1/2 days next week. There are several other days coming up that court will not be in session due to attorney schedules, jury schedules, etc... It's been this way the entire trial and why this case is very difficult to cover.

*It's nothing new really lol*

WAIT!!!!!!!

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 3m3 minutes ago
#McStay - The prosecution's case-in-chief is over. Defense will begin their case tomorrow. We expect Catherine Jarvis to be among the first witnesses.

#McStay - Court only in session 2 1/2 days next week. There are several other days coming up that court will not be in session due to attorney schedules, jury schedules, etc... It's been this way the entire trial and why this case is very difficult to cover.

This just comes across as so unprofessional .

Joey's email said Chase owed $42,845, and then he wrote himself cheques totaling $15,845 from the 2nd to the 8th, and who knows what else he received after that without providing the goods.

And who knows what his plan was, he may have killed Joey to take the future $millions in business deals that Joey worked to procure, but things didn't pan out the way he expected.

I believe that in chase's tortured mind, he thought he could keep the 'empire' rolling along, with him in charge now. And take over the business and be as successful as his 'best friend' Joey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay