CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for when Chase officially became a "person of interest" in the murders? Well, he admitted to being the last person to see Joey. I would think he was a person of interest from the minute he said that.

I thought he became a POI as early as in March 2010, 3+ years before it's known what happened to the family:

Also, with disappearances and murders, it is the immediate family/circle of friends/business associates/enemies that are looked at first. Pretty sure that is textbook, no?

That's true, but did the LE/prosecutors look at all of them, and as thoroughly as they did CM?

I thought he became a POI as early as in March 2010, 3+ years before known what happened to the family:

That's true, but did the LE/prosecutors look at all of them, and as thoroughly as they did CM?
Why wouldn’t they look at them all thoroughly? They want to know who the killer is.

I think they looked at all of the potential suspects and ruled them out, one by one, until there was one that piled up evidence pointing their way

First time was 1988 and it doesn't say what the violation was for.
Then, from this article:
McStay murder mystery: Who is Chase Merritt?

"Merritt's most recent felony conviction was in 2001, court records showed, when he admitted to stealing $32,000 worth of welding and drilling equipment from San Gabriel Valley Ornamental Iron Works in Monrovia, Calif.

He pleaded guilty to burglary and grand theft charges and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

Merritt violated probation several times in subsequent years and failed to appear in court on numerous occasions, resulting in his probation period being extended and at least seven warrants being issued for his arrest between 2001 and 2010, the records showed.

His probation from the 2001 felony case ended on Sept. 14, 2010."

As for when Chase officially became a "person of interest" in the murders? Well, he admitted to being the last person to see Joey. I would think he was a person of interest from the minute he said that.
Also, with disappearances and murders, it is the immediate family/circle of friends/business associates/enemies that are looked at first. Pretty sure that is textbook, no?

And he was an ex-con, with an outstanding warrant. I'm sure that made him high on the list.

It's not really hard to believe because its all about the recovery techniques & stats

The prosecution lab didn't find anything useable.

But if you are willing to aggregate lots of material and then amplify the hell out of it, you may well get degraded profiles that can't be matched to anyone.

This sort of thing has come up in other cases, usually on the state side, where they want to "amplify" a tiny sample in order to show it is the accused.

The real question is whether it means anything mathematically.
Agree. Wonder if it passes the Frye standard?
(quote)
Frye predicates the admissibility of novel scientific evidence on its general acceptance in a particular scientific field: "While courts will go a long way in admitting expert testimony deduced from a well-recognized scientific principle or discovery, the thing from which the deduction is made must be sufficiently established to have gained general acceptance in the particular field in which it belongs."2 Thus, admissibility depends on the quality of the science underlying the evidence, as determined by scientists themselves. Theoretically, the court's role in this preliminary determination is quite limited: it should conduct a hearing to determine whether the scientific theory underlying the evidence is generally accepted in the relevant scientific community and to determine that the specific techniques used are reliable for their intended purpose.
https://www.nap.edu/read/1866/chapter/8#132

I think they looked at all of the potential suspects and ruled them out, one by one, until there was one that piled up evidence pointing their way
I believe that was the approach Dugal and SDC used and subsequently made no arrest and failed to find a crime. Now we will see if SBSD rushed their investigation and charged CM prematurely. I refuse to engage in a conversation about this until both sides have finished. But, I do feel confident the jurors will reach an appropriate verdict. jmho

Why wouldn’t they look at them all thoroughly? They want to know who the killer is.

I don't see that.

With respect, i don't think you would know that unless you were involved in the investigation.

With respect, we both were voicing our own opinions. None of us were involved in the investigation. I just don't see other parties close to JM and SM have been investigated as thoroughly as CM has been. I need to see proofs of the alibis of those other parties.

No violent crime history.
We don't really know? Nothing he was ever charged or convicted for anyway. I think there are things we don't know about CM that others do, IMO.
He is a criminal as per his previous convictions, and saying he was never proven to have been violent doesn't mean much. It is more than likely his first murder that we know of.

We don't really know? Nothing he was ever charged or convicted for anyway. I think there are things we don't know about CM that others do, IMO.

How about: No known violent crime history. It should be clear I mentioned it as a reply to him being called ex-con. Ex-con for what? For something non-violent.

Being an ex-con is precisely what makes him prone to be a scapegoat, plus the complaints from his customers.

With respect, we both were voicing our own opinions. None of us were involved in the investigation. I just don't see other parties close to JM and SM have been investigated as thoroughly as CM has been. I need to see proofs of the alibis of those other parties.
I was just stating my opinion as well.

How about: No known violent crime history. It should be clear I mentioned it as a reply to him being called ex-con. Ex-con for what? For something non-violent.

Being an ex-con is precisely what makes him prone to be a scapegoat, plus the complaints from his customers.
And all the evidence the State found to arrest and charge CM for the murders of the McStay family. And if there wasn't enough evidence against CM we wouldn't be having a Trial right now.
It's not uncommon for a criminal to escalate to murder.

And all the evidence the State found to arrest and charge CM for the murders of the McStay family.
It's not uncommon for a criminal to escalate to murder.

It is definitely not common for someone with no violent crime history to torture and murder a family of 4 with 2 babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cases