CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, just noticed a comment under the video:

Jared Bradley 2 hours ago
As the president of M-Vac Systems I am very pleased with Suzanna Ryan and how she described and demonstrated the M-Vac forensic DNA collection system to the jury. Wish we had video but even just listening to the audio I can tell she did a great job. How she described how the system works (similar to a carpet cleaner), where it would likely be used and where it shouldn't be used. Very professional and very proficient testimony. We're accustomed to the M-Vac getting impressive results but viable DNA from evidence that has been buried for 3 years? That's amazing. www.m-vac.com
Advertising? Plugging their brand? I don't like it. Cheapens the whole process, IMO. Emphasizes the cross examination. It's a business.

Any DNA bombshells? I haven't heard anything earth shattering. Am I missing something?

Bode Cellmark (where Ryans sent the samples) found partial profiles on the bra cups, the white cord and the red strap, seems that everything else had levels too low, the next two witnesses will apparently testify about the results. She also said she found a hair when she unknotted the white cord and sent it, but haven't heard if they got anything from that.

CM said JM was his best friend but he was not JM's best friend. So we can't refer to CM as JM's best friend. I've seen this done more than a few times in different places.

Common sense is that when a family of four have not been heard for days, their relatives should get worried and go to check on them, rather than assuming they went on vacation. Common sense is that relatives don't delay checking on the missing family until being persistently asked by a business partner and friend. Common sense is that you don't do a house clean-up in your missing relative's house before the LE arrived. All these, for whatever good reasons, have negatively affected the initial investigation, which was crucial. Should common sense have prevailed in these instances, the LE would have likely found a lot of forensic evidence to bring the killers to justice.

I totally agree with you. The family screwed up and they were not as concerned as they should have been, in my opinion. And I don’t want to judge or blame them because in hindsight we can find fault but we don’t know why they reacted they way they did

But I agree that they could have reacted more quickly and should not have messed with the potential crime scene. Although that doesn’t make Chase any less guilty

I think that’s one reason Chase felt confident he could buy done time. He knew the family was not that close and didn’t talk every day and it gave him the time he needed to try and cover and stage things

Bode Cellmark (where Ryans sent the samples) found partial profiles on the bra cups, the white cord and the red strap, seems that everything else had levels too low, the next two witnesses will apparently testify about the results. She also said she found a hair when she unknotted the white cord and sent it, but haven't heard if they got anything from that.

Thanks! Had to listen a second time! I wonder if they tested the hair....wouldn't it be something if it belongs to CM and found by the defense!

I totally agree with you. The family screwed up and they were not as concerned as they should have been, in my opinion. And I don’t want to judge or blame them because in hindsight we can find fault but we don’t know why they reacted they way they did

But I agree that they could have reacted more quickly and should not have messed with the potential crime scene. Although that doesn’t make Chase any less guilty

I think that’s one reason Chase felt confident he could buy done time. He knew the family was not that close and didn’t talk every day and it gave him the time he needed to try and cover and stage things
And it also makes me question what Merritt told MM initially, seeing as CM supposedly spoke with JM up to 15 times a day seeing as they were business partners?

Ha, just noticed a comment under the video:

Jared Bradley 2 hours ago
As the president of M-Vac Systems I am very pleased with Suzanna Ryan and how she described and demonstrated the M-Vac forensic DNA collection system to the jury. Wish we had video but even just listening to the audio I can tell she did a great job. How she described how the system works (similar to a carpet cleaner), where it would likely be used and where it shouldn't be used. Very professional and very proficient testimony. We're accustomed to the M-Vac getting impressive results but viable DNA from evidence that has been buried for 3 years? That's amazing. www.m-vac.com
Wow
Even the president of the company finds it ‘amazing’ that anyone could find viable DNA
After being buried for 3 years

I wonder why he finds it so amazing? Is that unusual or surprising?

The more they describe how powerful the machine is to pick up traces of DNA, the more it seems like it could just be from someone that sat on the blankets or visited the home as a housekeeper or a friend

I glaze over with this stuff for the most part but I did follow some of her testimony. She seemed smart, confident and well spoken. So,what is your take based on her testimony thus far?
I found her to be honest and also passionate about her work. The specific areas she extracted DNA from also made sense to me. Testing the crevice in the electrical cord was an excellent idea. I like to refinish antique furniture and the most difficult areas to get are the corners and crevices. I've had pieces that have multiple layers of finish accumulated in those areas. A swab would not necessarily find useful DNA in those areas.

I remind myself of the OJ trial and the skepticism surrounding the entire concept of DNA. I'm impressed the technology has evolved to this point. There have recently been many people released from prison as a result of DNA research. I would never wish imprisonment for an innocent person. We have no idea whether any additional people are connected with the murder. This testing may prevent future crimes by identifying all involved in the murder. We have frequently discussed the possibility of CM having help. jmho

Common sense is that you don't do a house clean-up in your missing relative's house before the LE arrived. All these, for whatever good reasons, have negatively affected the initial investigation, which was crucial. Should common sense have prevailed in these instances, the LE would have likely found a lot of forensic evidence to bring the killers to justice.
RSBM

You're suggesting JM's mother scrubbed the house of blood stains and other evidence of the deaths of 4 people?

I found her to be honest and also passionate about her work. The specific areas she extracted DNA from also made sense to me. Testing the crevice in the electrical cord was an excellent idea. I like to refinish antique furniture and the most difficult areas to get are the corners and crevices. I've had pieces that have multiple layers of finish accumulated in those areas. A swab would not necessarily find useful DNA in those areas.

I remind myself of the OJ trial and the skepticism surrounding the entire concept of DNA. I'm impressed the technology has evolved to this point. There have recently been many people released from prison as a result of DNA research. I would never wish imprisonment for an innocent person. We have no idea whether any additional people are connected with the murder. This testing may prevent future crimes by identifying all involved in the murder. We have frequently discussed the possibility of CM having help. jmho

When the state discussed Chases DNA found on the steering wheel and gear shift of the Trooper, the defense claimed that it was just trace evidence from Joey shaking hands with Chase.

Could the minor amounts of this DNA be of a similar circumstance?

Could someone have helped Summer pack or move or put clothes away? Could she have hired someone to help clean or fold laundry?

When we moved and had young children I had as much help as I could get during that time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay