CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This data came from the FBI. I think, as a juror, I would trust them over what the defense tries to throw at it. If the call at 5.48 logs in two phones at the right time I would argue there is a sound basis for accepting the timeline submissions.
The data possibly was reviewed and analyzed by the FBI but it originated from the carrier's cell tower so, garbage in garbage out, will be the argument the defense makes.

I agree and I have always unfortunately thought Joey and Summer had to endure him killing them in front of them.

It was all part of his sick twisted game after years of having to tolerate Summer and the Kids with Joey always backing his wife whenever he moaned about her or the kids.

I thought I read in one of the search warrants that Chase and Joey met in 2006 or 2007, so they knew each other a max of 4 years before the murders happened - is that correct?

I thought I read in one of the search warrants that Chase and Joey met in 2006 or 2007, so they knew each other a max of 4 years before the murders happened - is that correct?

The talented welder met Joseph three years before his disappearance and went into business with him.

I expect the cell tower location data to be challenged by the defense for technical reasons. There was an issue with the cell towers located in that area durning that time.

I lived in Rancho Cucamonga during that time frame and became aware of the issue due to a dispute with my cell carrier Sprint.

At the time Sprint shared towers with the same carrier as CM had which was Verizon. Beginning in 2009, in up until Sprint terminated my account in January of 2011, the cell towers in the area were malfunctioning, this caused the 3 phones associated with the account to constantly drop and then reconnect to distant towers, this behavior would then register on my billing statement as roaming even though the phone was stationary, which gave the appearance that I had traveled from one area to another.

My Sprint contract allowed for free unrestricted roaming so I wasn’t too concerned since I wasn’t being charged for the roaming and the phones worked well once they were out of the area.

Apparently, this was not okay with Sprint, because in January of 2011 they terminated my service due to excessive roaming which was occurring even though the phones were stationary in RC.

After I received the termination letter I called and spoke with Sprint customer retention, they explained that they were aware of the problem and blamed it on the Verizon towers that Sprint used in the area, but essentially said, too bad, the roaming fees we’re paying the other carriers preclude us from honoring the contract with have with you. I happened to find a copy of that letter and uploaded it for verification.

hmmm so would this include the area where his phone pinged near the gravesites?

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I'm still catching up. After Dugal got off the stand they were going to call Elva Fonseca. I literally gasped. The defense asked for a sidebar and for whatever reason postponed her testimony until January 29. She will be a very pivotal witness for the prosecution.

Now they are finally stating to get to the character of Chase Merritt.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I'm still catching up. After Dugal got off the stand they were going to call Elva Fonseca. I literally gasped. The defense asked for a sidebar and for whatever reason postponed her testimony until January 29. She will be a very pivotal witness for the prosecution.

Now they are finally stating to get to the character of Chase Merritt.

Who is Elva?

She had to be calling him and leaving Voicemails because he wasn't with her though. Wherever he was, between 6.09 and 9.04 pm, he wasn't at home and he disconnected his phone again after the 9.32 pm call.

I am not convinced he "disconnected". After reading the preliminary hearing transcripts, it is my impression that they only had the information from when there were calls incoming/outgoing. Unless someone was calling him, there is no way to say if it was off/airplane mode/out of range. For example, they know it was off/airplane mode/out of range when his GF was calling him between 6:09 and 9:04 that night... they know because it showed that it went to VM, but it didn't register a tower. I noticed when reading the OS statements, the prosecutor is very careful with his wording... saying "off the grid", meaning no phone activity, not that he had shut his phone off. I honestly don't think it's unreasonable to think that he didn't make or receive calls from 9:32pm - 7:30amish the next morning.

The cell phone information and the quickbooks info is going to be the most interesting and telling evidence in this case IMO

That's not going to preclude the defense from challenging the cell phone data. They'll contend that if the towers were not working properly then none of the data can be considered accurate, including the time stamps.

Only if they are aware of that and can have someone testify that it was an issue during that time though IMO

I expect the cell tower location data to be challenged by the defense for technical reasons. There was an issue with the cell towers located in that area durning that time.

I lived in Rancho Cucamonga during that time frame and became aware of the issue due to a dispute with my cell carrier Sprint.

At the time Sprint shared towers with the same carrier as CM had which was Verizon. Beginning in 2009, in up until Sprint terminated my account in January of 2011, the cell towers in the area were malfunctioning, this caused the 3 phones associated with the account to constantly drop and then reconnect to distant towers, this behavior would then register on my billing statement as roaming even though the phone was stationary, which gave the appearance that I had traveled from one area to another.

My Sprint contract allowed for free unrestricted roaming so I wasn’t too concerned since I wasn’t being charged for the roaming and the phones worked well once they were out of the area.

Apparently, this was not okay with Sprint, because in January of 2011 they terminated my service due to excessive roaming which was occurring even though the phones were stationary in RC.

After I received the termination letter I called and spoke with Sprint customer retention, they explained that they were aware of the problem and blamed it on the Verizon towers that Sprint used in the area, but essentially said, too bad, the roaming fees we’re paying the other carriers preclude us from honoring the contract with have with you. I happened to find a copy of that letter and uploaded it for verification.

Maybe it was a technical issue but doubtful. There are hundreds of towers in the inland empire, the chances of his phone pinging the very tower within a few short miles of the graves on this particular day I would think the odds would be astronomical. The tower is also 60 miles away and over a mountain range. The last time his phone pinged in Victorville was a year prior when he visited family.

She is a former employee of Chase and knew Joseph.

Thank You.
It’s crazy I have been posting about this family for years on here and I have never heard the name mentioned.

Talking about people who may be called...

Does anybody remember a news article where Chase took a family gold hunting? ( I don’t know the correct term) Chase brought the McStays up to this family and was I think aggressive and they got really scared by him and thought he was planning to rob them or even murder them? They managed to escape him and got back to the car. But they was definitely spooked by his behaviour and they had a ton of equipment that was valuable.

Last edited:
Now I'm asking, who is Elva? Also, just some thoughts: If someone owed me $41,000+ and was suspected of skimming my account, there would be no lunch meeting. I would be too mad to eat. Second, who owned the sledge hammer found in the grave? Also, there was a black light in the home? Thanks!

Thank You , it’s crazy I have been posting about this family for years on here and I have never heard the name mentioned.

Does anybody remember a news article where Chase took a family gold hunting? ( I don’t know the correct term) Chase brought the McStays up to this family and was I think aggressive and they got really scared by him and thought he was planning to rob them or even murder them? They managed to escape him and got back to the car. But they was definitely spooked by his behaviour and they had a ton of equipment that was valuable.

Thank You.
It’s crazy I have been posting about this family for years on here and I have never heard the name mentioned.

Thank You.

Yes! That gave me the shivers. Trying to find the article and having no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BG89