Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post on Placer County Sheriff’s Office page:

We interrupt our regularly scheduled posts for missing 16-year-old Kiely Rodni to share another important story.

After a lengthy investigation into the death of a 15-year-old Roseville girl, detectives with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and a special county drug task force arrested 20-year-old Nathaniel Evan Cabacungan on August 10th. During the investigation, it was revealed Cabacungan met with the young girl and during that time, provided her with what turned out to be a lethal dose of counterfeit Percocet pills. The female victim died on June 19th – the Placer County Sheriff-Coroner Division determined her death was fentanyl-related and subsequently contacted the countywide drug task force. Cabacungan was arrested for murder, distribution of narcotics to a minor, sale and transportation of a controlled substance, and lewd and lascivious acts with a minor.

Placer County Sheriff Wayne Woo said, “I would like to commend the phenomenal work of all the investigators who put this case together. The Placer County Sheriff’s Office will continue to utilize any resource at our disposal to hold these fentanyl dealers accountable.”

Placer County District Attorney Morgan Gire added, “This arrest represents an outstanding collaborative effort between our county, city, and state law enforcement partners in Placer County. We are committed to combatting the fentanyl epidemic and are working tirelessly to investigate, arrest, and prosecute dealers of this deadly drug.”

Interesting that the arrest date is so soon after KR’s disappearance.

ADMIN NOTE:

We've set up the dedicated thread for discussion of the archived traffic cam footage.

The above thread is now linked in the Opening Post of this general discussion thread and will be carried forward in the Opening Posts of any successive threads.
Just posted the links. Sorry for the delay. Quality is a bit rough at night, but it is better than nothing. Possible the car didnt make it that way until later in the AM when there was some light, maybe we will get lucky. Worth a shot.

Interesting post on Placer County Sheriff’s Office page:

We interrupt our regularly scheduled posts for missing 16-year-old Kiely Rodni to share another important story.

After a lengthy investigation into the death of a 15-year-old Roseville girl, detectives with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and a special county drug task force arrested 20-year-old Nathaniel Evan Cabacungan on August 10th. During the investigation, it was revealed Cabacungan met with the young girl and during that time, provided her with what turned out to be a lethal dose of counterfeit Percocet pills. The female victim died on June 19th – the Placer County Sheriff-Coroner Division determined her death was fentanyl-related and subsequently contacted the countywide drug task force. Cabacungan was arrested for murder, distribution of narcotics to a minor, sale and transportation of a controlled substance, and lewd and lascivious acts with a minor.

Placer County Sheriff Wayne Woo said, “I would like to commend the phenomenal work of all the investigators who put this case together. The Placer County Sheriff’s Office will continue to utilize any resource at our disposal to hold these fentanyl dealers accountable.”

Placer County District Attorney Morgan Gire added, “This arrest represents an outstanding collaborative effort between our county, city, and state law enforcement partners in Placer County. We are committed to combatting the fentanyl epidemic and are working tirelessly to investigate, arrest, and prosecute dealers of this deadly drug.”

Interesting that the arrest date is so soon after KR’s disappearance.
Also interesting that they reference Kiely indirectly at the beginning. Maybe they want people at the campground party to join the dots?

Members of the public assisted with searches near the campground on Saturday morning. Between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. PT on Saturday, the Placer County community is hosting an event called "Kountry for Kiely," which will include music and a fundraiser for Rodni's family, at the Truckee Regional Park.

Rodni was last seen at the 300-person, end-of-summer high school party at Prosser that stretched from Friday night into the early hours of Saturday. Police said she last spoke with friends and family shortly after midnight on Aug. 6 and that her phone was turned off around 12:33 a.m.
*How did SS speak with KR at 12:36 if phone went silent at 12:33?

*eta:
A press conference will be held at 2 p.m. at the Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District at 10981 Truckee Way, in Truckee. There will be no community meeting held today.

Last edited:
Just posted the links. Sorry for the delay. Quality is a bit rough at night, but it is better than nothing. Possible the car didnt make it that way until later in the AM when there was some light, maybe we will get lucky. Worth a shot.
Terrific work, @DrDubya! FWIW here is a refresher on KR's car. I'll try to find a pic, but wonder if anyone has an image of the headlights from this model car at night? I've come to learn that makes and models of cars (including LE vehicles!, ;)) have distinctive headlight signatures. If a lot of this footage you have is at night, it could help to have that in mind.
1660426095639.png
Source of image: Kiely Rodni case: Police search for missing teen

Terrific work, @DrDubya! FWIW here is a refresher on KR's car. I'll try to find a pic, but wonder if anyone has an image of the headlights from this model car at night? I've come to learn that makes and models of cars (including LE vehicles!, ;)) have distinctive headlight signatures. If a lot of this footage you have is at night, it could help to have that in mind.
View attachment 359479
Source of image: Kiely Rodni case: Police search for missing teen
Well, I have not found images yet of the 2013 Honda CRV at night (to see what the headlights look like), BUT I did find BOATLOADS of complaints about the poor quality of this model's low beam illumination and propensity for bulbs to burn out.

For purposes of looking at CCTV highway video, I suggest looking for dimly lit headlamps! For purposes of this case, that would mean this car is not a great option for driving around the foothills at night, unless KR had aftermarket headlamps.
:(

Also bothering me from that interview is Sami's statement that when they left the car (after the phone charging episode) that they split up so Sami could find another ride. She then stops herself and goes completely blank for several seconds searching for a way to finish that sentence. Unfortunately, the interviewer bailed her out and changed the topic completely.

So Sami had already decided, while they were still in Kiely's car, to look for another ride. That decision was made in the car, not later. So what happened in the car that made Sami leave Kiely and go looking for another ride? The interviewer does not ask about this and Sami never goes back to the topic. IMO

Maybe this is about Kiely telling her she’s staying at the campground that night? It’s confusing because those stories conflict from what I’ve been reading.

Maybe this is about Kiely telling her she’s staying at the campground that night? It’s confusing because those stories conflict from what I’ve been reading.

I’ve been thinking about the camping comment too and wondering why KR phoned her mum to extend the curfew if that was her intention.

But as Old Cop right said, partying teenagers are probably not the best for getting details straight.

While it is certainly possible that she was a victim of a serial killer, there are so many other more likely scenarios that may have led to her death, that do not involve a serial killer, I would think that one would be well down the list. She is a 16-year-old girl who was at a very large party in woods with older kids, known and unknown, late at night, drinking alcohol to the point of being very intoxicated, according to her friend, and possibly under the influence of drugs as well, by choice or perhaps not, and possibly got behind the wheel of her car to drive home, or to some other unknown location. There are a plethora of things that could lead to her disappearance under all of those circumstances, and I think one or a combination of those factors is probably what led to her probable demise. While I am now giving consideration to the possibility that she died of an accidental overdose and may have been left where she was, or was driven somewhere that both she and her car could be disappeared, my strongest thought is still that she had a car accident somewhere, in or out of water, and still has not been found. My gut feeling is that she was not intentionally murdered by someone. JMO

ETA...I do hope that Camille Clemmer will be found safely.
at this point anything is possible....we may find her, I hope we do....some who go missing are never found...horrible for loved ones.

Also bothering me from that interview is Sami's statement that when they left the car (after the phone charging episode) that they split up so Sami could find another ride. She then stops herself and goes completely blank for several seconds searching for a way to finish that sentence. Unfortunately, the interviewer bailed her out and changed the topic completely.

So Sami had already decided, while they were still in Kiely's car, to look for another ride. That decision was made in the car, not later. So what happened in the car that made Sami leave Kiely and go looking for another ride? The interviewer does not ask about this and Sami never goes back to the topic. IMO
I just noticed something, SS says after charging she tries to find a lift home, this will be right around the time KR messages her mum about extending curfew. Why is SS looking for a lift if at this time KR is still planning on driving back home ?

Hi all. It’s been forever since I’ve posted here, but this is another story near and dear to my heart and location. I’ve read through most of this forum, and am astounded again at the intelligence and resources this site attracts. Here are my thoughts, building off what you all have written and my own experiences as a teen and now a mother of teens.

I believe KR was inebriated, but I don’t think she was wasted/blackout drunk/slurring her words/unable to make decisions about her safety and strangers. Her friends probably rightfully believed she was too drunk to drive, so they found sober drives home. But I think teen opinions about “she couldn’t have made it very far” have to be weighed with their own inexperience. The reason I don’t think she was too incapacitated is because she spoke on the phone with her mom at 11:30. Her mom believed she was the designated driver. I can tell when my 17 yo son is under the influence of anything, even if it’s just barely. He sounds overly reassuring, hesitant speech, etc. I think if KR’s mom heard anything in her voice that sounded off, knowing she’s the DD for other teens, she would have said “Nope, I’m coming over to pick you up right now. You sound funny and I don’t want you driving home.” So, KR must have been sober enough to pull off a phone call asking for a curfew extension.

She’s at a party with her high school graduating class. People know her, even if they’re not in the same social group. They know she’s got a boyfriend. I’m pretty sure if she were seen alone with a strange guy or with a group of strange guys at the end of the party or near her car, tongues would have been wagging. People would have noticed. So, I don’t think this happened.

Once she calls her mom, she’s on borrowed time. Her mom asks her to wake her up when she gets home, so she might be able to get away with being a little bit later than she said since her mom’s asleep. But she also doesn’t want her mom waking up at 3am and freaking out because she’s not home yet. If she was still at the party at 12:36, she’s already pushing the extended curfew.

I think at 12:36, she’s walking to her car to leave. She’s pretty sure she can leave without Sami, but because she’s intoxicated and maybe confused about their last exchange, and because she doesn’t want to accidentally leave Sami without a ride, she calls to make sure - “What’s going on? Do you still need a ride?” “Nope, we’re all good.” “Okay, love you, see you tomorrow!”

I think maybe we’re not hearing from other witnesses because there was nothing to see or add. Yes, we saw her there. No, we didn’t see her with anyone else and we didn’t see her leave.

I don’t see her being so drunk that she allowed some random guy hanging out by her car to drive her anywhere. The idea that she went to an after-party makes great sense, and is absolutely what I did as a teen. But not on nights I was expected home, and not with people I didn’t know, and not when I had early morning plans, and not if my phone were dead.

If KR did plan to go to an after-party, the first thing she likely would have done is either charged her phone on the way or at the party house when she got there. Because in case her mom called to find out where she is, she would need to explain that she’s delayed because she’s giving other people rides home, or some other cover. Charging her phone and driving, or being at a location charging her phone, would have caused pings. If she didn’t plug in her phone once in the car and keep it turned on, it’s probably because she planned to head straight home and didn’t need it. Based on how smart and resourceful she sounds, she wouldn’t have allowed a situation where her mom might wake up at 2 or 3am and send out an APB to all her friends because she’s not home yet and her phone is going straight to vm.

Even if something nefarious did happen at an after party, I agree with what another poster said. Someone would have talked by now. Some teens talk for the right reasons, because it’s weighing in them and they didn’t do anything wrong. Some teens talk for the wrong reasons, to look like the hero and get attention even if they were partly to blame. But they do talk.

It sounds like LE are not searching extensively on the side of I-80 where her house is. So I’m thinking they’ve checked the available surveillance cams around the few business sections/intersections where she might have crossed the freeway and didn’t see her car that night. That would mean an abduction leading to the interstate, or her making it further than the interstate on her own, are both unlikely.

Finally, silver cars have got to be hard to spot in brush and forested areas. And there are lots of areas where she could have swerved off the road to avoid wildlife or because she was inebriated. But I think she’s still in that area somewhere.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about the camping comment too and wondering why KR phoned her mum to extend the curfew if that was her intention.

But as Old Cop right said, partying teenagers are probably not the best for getting details straight.
Phoning for a curfew extension solves an immediate curfew problem and gets an hour extension for a solution. Gives time to think through next steps - camp, drive, sober up to drive.

A lot has been said about possible after parties in town.
It seems more feasible that an older person or persons had actually rented a space or spaces in the adjacent campground for overnight party stay.
Also, a new local member who hasn’t been here in a few days posted about back roads and trails that would handle a car driving virtually over almost to Reno.
Is there a back road/trail to the Prosser Lakeview Estates subdivision? Quite the varied development adjacent to the campsite and reservoir.
If hauled, the Honda CVR would fit on a 15 ft long trailer. Could it be covered in a tarp or camping gear? There is a spot nearby the Sanctuary for parking/staging trailers for OHV’s which include 4WD jeep type vehicles. It’s called Prosser Pits.

Based on the timeline I'm also very curious about what happened in the car (phone charging). Since KR's curfew was 11:30 pm and her mom stated it would take approximately 25-30 minutes to get home, she should have been leaving the party at the exact time it is stated that she was with SS and some others (unknown) in her car charging the phone. Maybe she went to her car to leave, and others followed and then engaged in some illegal behavior that she got caught up in? Other than losing track of time, I'd love to know what happened to motivate KR to text her mom at 11:30 pm and ask for a later curfew?

Other Questions:

Why did the friend who KR drove to the party leave after a short time (10-30 minutes)?
Who was in KR's car 'charging phones'?
Did someone show up at the party around 11:00 pm she wanted to spend time with, hence the request to stay past her curfew?
Did KR & SS have a fight/disagreement in the car (causing SS to find another ride home); if so, what about?
If SS was conscientious enough to realize she should not accept a ride from KR because she was intoxicated, why didn't she insist that KR come along with her alternate ride or find her a DD?

Sami: "At about 12:36 a.m. I saw a call from her, so she called me. I was on my way home from the party and I was... she was supposed to give me a ride home, but I'd already told her I didn't need a ride home. And I answered it and she said, 'hey where are you? do you still need a ride home' and I was like, 'no I already told you this, we're all good. I'm like in the car right now like, thank you so much' and she was like, 'yeah course, love you, goodnight, like, I'll see you tomorrow' and I was like 'ok, love you, see you tomorrow, be safe' and then after that nobody's had any contact or sighting of her. So, it's been complete radio silence, her phone has been off, her like, location isn't on and nobody seems to have reportedly even seen her after 12:30 a.m., so."
*Grateful thanks to transcriptionist @Allabouttrial
What stands out for me as being a red flag with Sami's statement is the "At about 12:36 am" part. 12:36 am is a very specific time, yet the qualifier 'about' makes it seem more approximate. It would be more authentic to say 'At about 12:30 or 12:35 am'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan O' Cone