Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, good point. It was just a thought that crossed my mind when I saw how bright the Jeep's headlights were. That there's a possibility that Kiely didn't have that same kind of visibility.

IMO
We don't know. I hear @RedHaus that CRV may have a reputation for poor low beams. how about high beams? I can't imagine driving those "roads" at night with low beams. There's no oncoming traffic so no reason to use low beams.

We don't know. I hear @RedHaus that CRV may have a reputation for poor low beams. how about high beams? I can't imagine driving those "roads" at night with low beams. There's no oncoming traffic so no reason to use low beams.
IIRC, high beams on the 2013 Honda CRV are not a concern, just the low beams with something like 10 feet of range. That said, I think we all know that inebriated people often head out without car lights on, maybe just parking lights. While now (after seeing that video) I think this is much less likely, I have wondered if KR headed out with just parking lights on.

The last phone ping I don't believe is because she dhut the phone off...most in that age group that I know never shut their phone off...I also saw a comment suggesting she shut it off to charge it faster but I don't think I believe that either...my kids and their friends all will turn their phones back on at 1% when charging in the car often because that's where their music streams from...being possibly tipsy I doubt she'd drive home in possible silence late at night
Listening to locals that went out and tried to recreate the drive, I think it's a fair chance the phone charger was bumped or simply became unplugged. For some reason, my vehicle charger is very sensitive even when it appears plugged in. I think my phone goes to low power mode and then shuts down at 5%. (Whew, call me glad my teens only lasted 7 years)!

Has this been asked? How is it that no one saw her drive into the water if she drove along the beach and drove her car into the lake? It seems unlikely she was last person to leave. I've missed a lot here as when I am able to come back here to read there are 30 more pages and just can't keep up with that.
if you look out there, there are yt of ppl driving at night the path she may have taken and it is nowhere near the party or visible to it.

The main development I've seen recently in this forum is Truckeeite driving the "roads" (I've heard them described as ATV trails) to/near the area in which the vehicle was discovered, and finding them to be nearly impassable with extremely uneven roads full of huge bumps/potholes. This has been similarly explored and reported by others as well outside of this forum. This would seem to make it much less likely that Kiely could have: Driven those "roads" without realizing she was not going the correct route, driven those roads at even moderate speed without risking significant damage to her vehicle, fallen asleep while driving those roads, or gotten sufficient momentum before hitting the water to eventually launch her vehicle 55+ feet (possibly 75-80 feet, since water was higher then) horizontally (in totality, including floating, drifting, sinking, settling, and later movement).

<modsnip - no approved source, insinuations against a person not declared a POI by LE>
in hte videos ive seen of the night drive, i found it to be incredibly likely she drive the wrong way bumps and all.

I hesitate to even admit this, but once, when I was about 18, which was legal drinking age in my state at the time, my friends and I were at a party, and I attempted to jump into a swimming pool that had no water in it, fully clothed. Perceptions of what is "obvious" can differ greatly, depending on level of impairment or sobriety. Thankfully, I had friends who stopped me. JMO
Ouch…..

This describes me as well. No vested interest, no ulterior motive, just learning more.
Most of the time I spend here is in the long cold cases--i.e. 40+ years ago, so there is a lot discussed and happening here that is really helpful and interesting to learn.

I fully believe we will know what happened to Kiely with AWP finding her and her vehicle so soon, and additionally, all of the resources prior and ongoing. Very sad, but so much different than most of the long missing I follow.

Kiely was so inebriated that she somehow could thread her way along a significant portion of extremely rough ATV trail from the party to the beach without running off the road or wrecking, yet didn't see when it obviously turned to a wide open beach?

Still not buying it. I'll go back to what LE said earlier in the investigation: "someone knows something."
I interpreted that “someone knows something” from LE as just a request to come in and tell all they remembered, not an accusation that someone knew something and was intentionally keeping it secret. Like “You may not know you saw something important because it didn’t seem significant at the time. But this girl didn’t disappear without someone seeing something that could be helpful.”

I’m imagining perhaps more than a few kids right now, after finding where she went and where she was found, kicking themselves with “Omg, I did see a car turning right towards the beach instead of left towards the exit that night, but I just thought it was someone going to make out or something. It didn’t even register.” That’s the kind of info LE was likely seeking in the beginning. MOO

IIRC, high beams on the 2013 Honda CRV are not a concern, just the low beams with something like 10 feet of range. That said, I think we all know that inebriated people often head out without car lights on, maybe just parking lights. While now (after seeing that video) I think this is much less likely, I have wondered if KR headed out with just parking lights on.

Where Kiely's family home has been described as quite remote, and she herself seems to have been into an outdoorsy lifestyle, I would almost assume (I know we shouldn't assume anything) that she was equipped with better lights? If the regular ones are really that low quality?

All bets are off when drunk though as for using the equipment you have though, I agree. But I would wonder how she made it to the beach without decent lights? Seems she would have veered off the road/trail and there hasn't been any indication she did? But maybe she did at some point? Is there any place you could turn around? Maybe that is how she became disoriented? I'm going to rewatch....

I interpreted that “someone knows something” from LE as just a request to come in and tell all they remembered, not an accusation that someone knew something and was intentionally keeping it secret. Like “You may not know you saw something important because it didn’t seem significant at the time. But this girl didn’t disappear without someone seeing something that could be helpful.”

I’m imagining perhaps more than a few kids right now, after finding where she went and where she was found, kicking themselves with “Omg, I did see a car turning right towards the beach instead of left towards the exit that night, but I just thought it was someone going to make out or something. It didn’t even register.” That’s the kind of info LE was likely seeking in the beginning. MOO
I agree, and they later said that they had received over 100 tips, photos, vids from party attendees, so clearly their pronouncement that someone knew something was eventually received in the manner it seemed to be intended. That is how they got the video of her in the Odd Future sweatshirt. JMO

I hesitate to even admit this, but once, when I was about 18, which was legal drinking age in my state at the time, my friends and I were at a party, and I attempted to jump into a swimming pool that had no water in it, fully clothed. Perceptions of what is "obvious" can differ greatly, depending on level of impairment or sobriety. Thankfully, I had friends who stopped me. JMO

I agree. And I lived for many years near a road with a dangerous corner. So, multiple times, the same thing happened. In the night, about party-break-up time, people managed to negotiate a few miles of a very narrow winding road. Then they hit a straightaway, stepped on the gas, and sailed off the edge of the cliff, often without showing any signs of even noticing the sign warning them of a hairpin turn ahead. So, the argument of: “if she could manage the rough part of the road, why would she come to grief later on” doesn’t resonate with me. And, as you pointed out, logic doesn’t necessarily apply.

It makes sense, but the reason I didn’t take it that way is because of the press conference the Placer County Sheriff’s Office held on August 12 where they had said that adults were keeping minors from coming forward, and could be criminally charged with obstruction.

I think this is an excellent example. We don't know if she was drinking at all, or had taken drugs willingly or not. We have no idea. But some people hallucinate, get the spins, feel invincible, and so on. For all we know, she ingested something right before driving and she was able to somehow navigate that dirt road and then it all went to h*ll after that in her head. She may have seen the water and thought she was flying into space because of whatever may have been affecting her IF she indeed was under the influence of anything.

RBBM
Hi @Beekarina. Here is my post re: poor low beam headlamps in a 2013 Honda CRV (KR's model car).

Thank you! I will catch up after i rewatch the videos!

Okay guys. I don't want to drive on the rough road again for the sake of my car. So I'm going to post a few shots to give more context to the road she should have driven home.

Here is the sign where the dirt "road" breaks off from the asphalt. As mentioned before, these "roads" are not recommended for cars.

Attachments

• SignatTrailhead.jpg
    SignatTrailhead.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 95
  • SignatTrailhead2.jpg
    SignatTrailhead2.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 94
Okay guys. I don't want to drive on the rough road again for the sake of my car. So I'm going to post a few shots to give more context to the road she should have driven home.

Here is the sign where the dirt "road" breaks off from the asphalt. As mentioned before, these "roads" are not recommended for cars.
Are there "No Swimming" signs posted in most of the areas, that you know of? Just curious (and yes, I know she was not swimming) because those steep dropoffs could really harm even an experienced swimmer, unfamiliar with the location. Most "beaches" have warnings like crazy all over the place with designated swimming areas.

Please note these photos like most non-3D images show the road being much flatter and smoother than it actually is. I thought the nighttime video was helpful because the shadows from the headlights give a more accurate perspective on how actually bumpy and pothole ridden it is.

This is where the asphalt ends and you start the dirt road toward the party site.

Attachments

• BeginDirtRoad.jpg
    BeginDirtRoad.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors