Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I've been rewatching videos. Agree the woman who did the night drove seems exceptionally kind. The mom in me was really wishing SHE had brought along a friend for the ride though.

I feel as though it would have been too dark for even a teenager with excellent vision to have navigated those roads/trails in basically inky darkness without headlights. It is possible she had poor headlights, or one burned out.

I am puzzled how she made it down with no evidence of taking out some sage brush IF she was "totally effed up", as witnesses suggested/alleged? I still have questions about this, but obviously tox will sort that out. I do think she drank, etc just question the extent.

Next thought:

When we have asked why no one saw her: IF they saw her, they likely would have seen her make 2 wrong turns, since the turns are so close together. (Unless they were beating on their own car and just got out of dodge.) This would leave anyone who DID see Kiely also heading down to the water with her...i.e. making the same set of turns.

Which made me want to go look at the taped off section again. When you pull up a video, it is not actually that small. In fact, it looks about the size of at least one, if not two SUVs. (I'm not theorizing two were parked together. But I am curious if Kiely was parked in or near the taped off spot?)

Here is a link to video of the retrieval of her SUV from KCRA news station. Screenshots are towards the 12-13 minute mark.

I also noticed circles--recalling someone earlier in discussion mentioned possibility of kids doing donuts. I think these look more like ATV tracks, but I marked with stars the approximate locations.

It's hard to judge the distance but in your screenshot wouldn't the area in the taped off rectangle been underwater on the 6th? If so then what on earth would it be preserving? Something heavy enough to not have floated away? I'm at a loss; it appears that two people are staying next to it so it must have some importance.

It's hard to judge the distance but in your screenshot wouldn't the area in the taped off rectangle been underwater on the 6th? If so then what on earth would it be preserving? Something heavy enough to not have floated away? I'm at a loss; it appears that two people are staying next to it so it must have some importance.
That is a good point, and I'm not 100% certain it was underwater? I think you're correct, but I need to go back and look at @otto 's maps again.

On this map if I'm reading it right, they are classifying the dirt "road" that I photographed today as a "trail" open to vehicles 50 inches wide or less.
Agreed. ATV trails I’m familiar with have narrow wheel tracks over rough terrain. These roads appear to be something classified for ATVs, but frequented enough by passenger vehicles to have made them look more like regular dirt roads, IMO.

This is very interesting and educational. It appears that nationwide, LE is not prepared, equipped, or willing to invest in the training required to do fully responsible and credible underwater forensics.
Scroll down for step by step guidance.

OK, I've been rewatching videos. Agree the woman who did the night drove seems exceptionally kind. The mom in me was really wishing SHE had brought along a friend for the ride though.

I feel as though it would have been too dark for even a teenager with excellent vision to have navigated those roads/trails in basically inky darkness without headlights. It is possible she had poor headlights, or one burned out.

I am puzzled how she made it down with no evidence of taking out some sage brush IF she was "totally effed up", as witnesses suggested/alleged? I still have questions about this, but obviously tox will sort that out. I do think she drank, etc just question the extent.

Next thought:

When we have asked why no one saw her: IF they saw her, they likely would have seen her make 2 wrong turns, since the turns are so close together. (Unless they were beating on their own car and just got out of dodge.) This would leave anyone who DID see Kiely also heading down to the water with her...i.e. making the same set of turns.

Which made me want to go look at the taped off section again. When you pull up a video, it is not actually that small. In fact, it looks about the size of at least one, if not two SUVs. (I'm not theorizing two were parked together. But I am curious if Kiely was parked in or near the taped off spot?)

Here is a link to video of the retrieval of her SUV from KCRA news station. Screenshots are towards the 12-13 minute mark.

I also noticed circles--recalling someone earlier in discussion mentioned possibility of kids doing donuts. I think these look more like ATV tracks, but I marked with stars the approximate locations.

2013 Honda CRV is almost 15 feet in length - Used 2013 Honda CR-V Specs & Features | Edmunds

Using the car for approximate scale, I would guess the marked off area was at water's edge that night

I have been studying a ton of maps lately—just posted this in the maps/media thread (I’m gonna try to comb through and post the tools we have here so folks can actually find all the helpful tools that quickly get buried in the discussion threads. )

The reservoir is definitely a big ATV/OHV use area, with concomitant pitfalls (less supervision, fewer requirements for vehicles, etc.).

Link to US Forestry Map of Prosser Creek Reservoir area
I found another website with the motorcycle trails. Watching the video, parts of the the trail's width and bumpiness looks about the same as the videos we've seen of Kiely's path to the water. This motorcycle trail doesn't appear to lead to the water though.

(video link on left side of webpage)

Regarding underwater, there are quite a few FAQS in the link below related to questions we have about Kiely’s accident and certainly pertinent to innumerable others.
It’s very disturbing that we are so unprepared for these kinds of investigations considering the alarming numbers of persons missing from National Park Service lands, with the abundance of rivers and lakes in those territories. Also I suppose on sovereign nation tribal lands.
No wonder so few are located or cause of death is limited to drowning.

This is very interesting and educational. It appears that nationwide, LE is not prepared, equipped, or willing to invest in the training required to do fully responsible and credible underwater forensics.

BBM and please keep in mind that

Taxpayers may not be prepared, equipped, or willing to invest in the training required to do fully responsible and credible underwater forensics.

$$$ limits the work of many, if not most or all, agencies.

jmho ymmv lrr

As there is no obvious airbag visible from the side in other pictures of the vehicle recovery, I wonder if perhaps the front view pic that appears to possibly show a deployed airbag may actually be showing the reflection of a partially shattered windshield on the driver's side. There did appear to perhaps be windshield damage on the driver's side corner in other pics. JMO
That sounds possible, yes.

BBM and please keep in mind that

Taxpayers may not be prepared, equipped, or willing to invest in the training required to do fully responsible and credible underwater forensics.

$$$ limits the work of many, if not most or all, agencies.

jmho ymmv lrr
Oh? It wouldn’t take much to educate and insist on certification. We have a gazillion or more Swat teams.
Did you see what first step evidence preservation takes?
Pantyhose!

Is there a news link/source for the airbag image? I would like to have a look at different angles, and I also do not want it to get flagged for not having one. Thank you!

Very interesting and also very alarming.

I have a nephew, here in NYC, who is a police officer assigned to a rescue/recovery scuba unit. They are exceedingly well-trained.

Of course, this is a big, big city, surrounded by water everywhere, with incidents all the time.

In a rural area, there may not be the tax base or frequency of situations that propel LE to invest in the proper training and equipment.

Jmo

Is there a news link/source for the airbag image? I would like to have a look at different angles, and I also do not want it to get flagged for not having one. Thank you!
Unfortunately, that was saved in my bb images from someone’s screenshot of news coverage.

Some have said it looks like the driver’s side airbag is deployed here, but we have no official word:

Or it could be KR in the backseat in her white hoodie
No, I don't think so, from that angle, the driver's seat would be in the way of anything in the back seat.

It's more likely to be an airbag that has floated around a bit....

MOO.

I drive in national/state forests a lot. I think it is interesting that it says not recommended as opposed to 4wd recommended or no motorized vehicles. It shows a sedan and it’s like they’re saying, “It is not recommended that you drive a sedan/low riding vehicle here, but if you insist, don’t blame us”.
You know kids……
Yes, a sign saying 'Only 4x4 trucks or high clearance AWD vehicles only' would be better.

A member here had experience with collisions and vehicle damage to cars that end up under water, and they described the outward dent on the door, I believe, as being consistent with a reinforcement bar being bent or forced outward due to impact with the bottom of a waterbody.

To that member or anyone else who might know, if a vehicle sinks nose down due to the weight of the engine and impacts a reservoir bottom before resting upside down, I imagine that would at least cause some outward crumpling, bending or flexing of other parts of the car absorbing the impact.

If the drivers’ door and window frame bowed or flexed, could that cause a spontaneous shattering of that window? Same question about the windshield, if it turns out to be shattered.

Walking just slightly down the road, you can see how it narrows. I forgot to bring a tape measure so used my shoes to get an approximate width. Only about 9 feet wide where those 2 trees are.

Note the road is actually much bumpier and uneven than it appears in these non 3D photos.

Well, those trees are so narrow right by the sides of the little road - and to that how bumpy the road is, and that it was pitch black and there were also shadows created by her car headlights, I'm surprised she even made it as far as the lake without crashing into the forest if she was drunk/drugged.

I would have had to drive at 5 mph stone cold sober to get out of there. Otherwise I wouldn't have got out of there!

MOO.

A member here had experience with collisions and vehicle damage to cars that end up under water, and they described the outward dent on the door, I believe, as being consistent with a reinforcement bar being bent or forced outward due to impact with the bottom of a waterbody.

Could be, but the bottom of the chassis under the door isn't bent. So nothing hit the car from underneath.

Maybe the car tipped onto its left side and hit a rock or boulder in the water before resting upside down.That would account for the left side wing mirror being broken too.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member