Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert but have been listening to a lot of forensic experts and divers who have been in law enforcement for many years. Apparently the vehicle will flip upside down due to the weight of the engine in front. Another thing that is puzzling me....photos of the vehicle being pulled from the water.....some of them are entirely different. Some photos (aerial) show the vehicle completely covered by the blue tarp. Another photo shows only half covered with a lot of different personnel pictured than the one previous. Can anyone explain this?
As they pulled the car out rear first, they began covering with the blue tarp from the big rear window forward. They put the tarp on the car and applied the tarp from the back of the car toward the front of the car.

So when you look at the different pictures, the more the car is covered, the later the photo was taken.

Here is a KCRA News videoof the car recovery posted on their YouTube channel (I’ll repost).

Just an aside but that looked very desolate and dark out there.

Great representation of what it looked like to Kiely but hope the local woman had a friend or 2 in the Jeep with her.

From what I could see, she did not. It made me a bit nervous for her at times, and I'm not easily spooked. I assume others knew exactly what she was doing though.

From what I could see, she did not. It made me a bit nervous for her at times, and I'm not easily spooked. I assume others knew exactly what she was doing though.
Agree!

She was a brave soul to be out there alone at night, especially with the added spookiness of the events of the weeks before. A brave one for sure!

Most of Kiely's peers are posting on social media. There is certainly not silence. There are big meetups in the area too where her friends gather.

As far as not speaking to media, after the social media sh*tstorm that hit Sami and Jagger, the smart thing to do is not talk to the reporters.
And yet here we are...waiting on baited breath that they do.

If we distill it down to only the info that LE has confirmed, we actually don't know that Kiely was even at the "party site" at 12:30 am. If we filter out the unconfirmed witness accounts, Kiely might not have been at the party site. She might - hypothetically - be at the beach. Not attempting to drive home but something else.

We know there was a text to the mom an hour earlier though we don't even know for sure that Kiely sent it. Either way, we have at least an hour in which except for Elsa making an approximation of when she saw her - we actually don't know where she was.

If we distill it down to only the info that LE has confirmed, we actually don't know that Kiely was even at the "party site" at 12:30 am. If we filter out the unconfirmed witness accounts, Kiely might not have been at the party site. She might - hypothetically - be at the beach. Not attempting to drive home but something else.

We know there was a text to the mom an hour earlier though we don't even know for sure that Kiely sent it. Either way, we have at least an hour in which except for Elsa making an approximation of when she saw her - we actually don't know where she was.
Do you think the "beach" area may have been the supposed "after party" we've all heard about that supposedly took place somewhere, yet to be confirmed? I find it hard to believe a zillion teens and young adults would flock to some wooded site to smoke and drink and do god knows what, standing around. At least with water, you could also watch the sun and moon set, maybe swim before dark. I dunno, that's just me.

She was streaming it live with a bunch of people watching. Even so, I personally would have been a little freaked out. Actually, a lot freaked out. jmo

We don't know much, but have no real right to know more than LE choose to tell us. Having said that, LE almost always know far more than they let on. I imagine they are well on the way to fleshing out a factual timeline of the key events by now. As much as we all want to know, we will probably not know much of anything else until toxicology and accident reports come back and a cause and manner of death is determined. And if there is evidence of foul play, they will probably say that the investigation remains activw. If charges are brought against anyone, we will never know the whole story until a case goes to trial, especially if any suspect happens to be a minor. JMO

Last edited:
I

I couldn’t see it, but did it look like an object? If not an object, it *could* have been tire tracks, which they may have wanted to preserve or take molds of, in case tires dug in while getting stuck, that were uncovered when the water line dropped…. All my conjecture/speculation only—I have no real idea what was there, but this could be one possibility.
Good thinking! That might be the better option. I would imagine if there was a physical object in the sand then LE forensics would have bagged it for examination instead of standing guard over it. So tire tracks makes sense IMO.

Also while I'm here, regarding windows and car body sustaining damage during impact with the bottom, (per @SpideySense) that's very likely IMO. We don't have enough information to input an accurate recreation of exactly what happened when the car sank but it's reasonable to assume the heavier undercarriage of the car combined with the impact on the bottom, the turtling and whatever current was flowing would likely cause some torsion. Remember Newton's Third Law? Forces occur in pairs; equal and opposite, action-reaction. MOO.

We should have a clearer picture once MAIT releases their report. Or hopefully anyway.

Here are three pretty informative videos taken of trained individuals sinking inside vehicles. The first video requires you to click the “Watch on YouTube” link to view it.

They show, IMO, that the pressure differential prevents any door from being opened once the vehicle is in even a little bit of water, and that a person can move to the rear seat pretty easily to follow the air. The Mythbuster “turn turtle” experiment also shows (again IMO) that a relatively tame impact into water blows out the windshield and causes a severe dent to the entire roof.

MOO, I think the transition of a vehicle from atmospheric pressure to water pressure is its own animal, and appears to cause pressure forces and stresses that we don’t see in road collisions.

Last edited:
Also while I'm here, regarding windows and car body sustaining damage during impact with the bottom, that's very likely IMO. We don't have enough information to input an accurate recreation of exactly what happened when the car sank but it's reasonable to assume the heavier undercarriage of the car combined with the impact on the bottom, the turtling and whatever current was flowing would likely cause some torsion.
SBM

I just took a look again at the AWP Press release and took a couple of screen grabs. IMO, from the *very limited* released footage of the car underwater, it doesn’t look to be exactly upside down, but kind of tilted off center, resting with the driver’s side down on the bottom.

It is possible that this footage was shot while they were rotating the car onto its tires to get it out—I believe this isn’t that likely because there is not a great deal of turbidity in the water at the time (looks like calm, basically clear reservoir water). BUT I’m no expert, so also have to say it could also have been shot while the car was in its original resting place, in which case that drivers side window and mirror would have been resting on something on the bottom (and therefore broke when the car came to rest, or busted when they turned the car). They did not use floats to turn the car over this time—as many of us watched live, they turned it by pulling on it with ropes.

IMHO, Both the rotation/extraction process and the process of coming to rest on a rock or debris could have caused the damage that the car sustained.

7275745B-8A8E-4A8E-B3AA-04AC2211A093.png

I don't really even want to go back in the daytime because it's hard on my car. Hoping to keep my car running another 10 years at least. It was a bunch of money to replace the shocks this year and not looking to do it again anytime soon.

Not faulting the videographer at all. Her video is a significant contribution and very brave to go down there in the dark. Obviously she knew it was the beach because she got out of the car. How did she know that? because it was obvious as the driver of the car.

We have no footage of how it looks with headlights starting to drive down the beach. Based on the rest of the video, I still believe it would have been obvious.
are there waves in the reservoir? It seems pretty quiet there and I keep thinking that a car hitting the water would make a big splash sound.... certainly lounder than a fish jumping ... would anyone who heard it think some one was just putting a boat in the water?

Do you think the "beach" area may have been the supposed "after party" we've all heard about that supposedly took place somewhere, yet to be confirmed? I find it hard to believe a zillion teens and young adults would flock to some wooded site to smoke and drink and do god knows what, standing around. At least with water, you could also watch the sun and moon set, maybe swim before dark. I dunno, that's just me.
I saw a video on YT of a local driving around Prosser in the daytime. When she happened upon the beach area she noted that the dark spots on the ground are from campfires. If that's the case, then I'd say there could've been some partying going on at this location. Although, I don't know how long residual campfire marks on the ground stick around. Would rain wash it away?
IMO

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 9.07.23 PM.png

SBM

I just took a look again at the AWP Press release and took a couple of screen grabs. IMO, from the *very limited* released footage of the car underwater, it doesn’t look to be exactly upside down, but kind of tilted off center, resting with the driver’s side down on the bottom.

It is possible that this footage was shot while they were rotating the car onto its tires to get it out—I believe this isn’t that likely because there is not a great deal of turbidity in the water at the time (looks like calm, basically clear reservoir water). BUT I’m no expert, so also have to say it could also have been shot while the car was in its original resting place, in which case that drivers side window and mirror would have been resting on something on the bottom (and therefore broke when the car came to rest, or busted when they turned the car). They did not use floats to turn the car over this time—as many of us watched live, they turned it by pulling on it with ropes.

IMHO, Both the rotation/extraction process and the process of coming to rest on a rock or debris could have caused the damage that the car sustained.

View attachment 361934
Yeah, it's kind of hard to tell the position but AWP did say the car was upside down:

Adventures with Purpose in a Facebook post just before 2:30 p.m. Sunday wrote that its divers “just found Kiely Rodni” and her vehicle, which was upside down in 14 feet of water.

Here are three pretty informative videos taken of trained individuals sinking inside vehicles. The first video requires you to click the “Watch on YouTube” link to view it.

They show, IMO, that the pressure differential prevents any door from being opened once the vehicle is in even a little bit of water, and that a person can move to the rear seat pretty easily to follow the air. The Mythbuster “turn turtle” experiment also shows (again IMO) that a relatively tame impact into water blows out the windshield and causes a severe dent to the entire roof.

MOO, I think the transition of a vehicle from atmospheric pressure to water pressure is its own animal, and appears to cause pressure forces and stresses that we don’t see in road collisions.
Very good examples - thank you!! Now imagine those scenarios in the dark. Pitch black. OMG. I can't swim, so it's even more horrifying for me. For anyone who thinks it's "simple" - just do x y and z and get out, um, yeah, no.

we have some park roads around here that are just dirt- their condition is highly variable and if it rains they are all rutted and non-navigable. other times, they are sort of straightened out with a piece of heavy equipment and dried and not so bad but you never really know what condition you will find them in.

Those videos are absolutely horrifying. Especially when you consider that Kiely would have been in the pitch dark. I don't know how anyone could escape from that situation completely unprepared and in darkness.

Heart breaking and just awful. jmo

A member here had experience with collisions and vehicle damage to cars that end up under water, and they described the outward dent on the door, I believe, as being consistent with a reinforcement bar being bent or forced outward due to impact with the bottom of a waterbody.

To that member or anyone else who might know, if a vehicle sinks nose down due to the weight of the engine and impacts a reservoir bottom before resting upside down, I imagine that would at least cause some outward crumpling, bending or flexing of other parts of the car absorbing the impact.

If the drivers’ door and window frame bowed or flexed, could that cause a spontaneous shattering of that window? Same question about the windshield, if it turns out to be shattered.
That was @Bsc87bsc. Ping!! We need your expertise, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member