Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video on YT of a local driving around Prosser in the daytime. When she happened upon the beach area she noted that the dark spots on the ground are from campfires. If that's the case, then I'd say there could've been some partying going on at this location. Although, I don't know how long residual campfire marks on the ground stick around. Would rain wash it away?
IMO

View attachment 361936
Funny you mention that. When Kiely first disappeared, someone here locally referred to the "bonfire." I was shocked because fires just aren't allowed here anymore due to the horrific CA fires in recent years. Now I'm thinking it was a historical reference. Remember, locals have been partying there for decades so maybe they always used to have a bonfire.
If so, though the natural place to have it would be the beach not the woods. Speculation.

I'm starting to wonder if the kids were not at the party site, or at least a group of them, by 12:30 am. That something happened on the beach.

Kiely being so intoxicated that she could somehow drive straight into water after navigating those treacherous dirt roads = does not compute. But there's actually nothing confirmed by LE to support the idea that she was at the "party site" near 12:30 am.

are there waves in the reservoir? It seems pretty quiet there and I keep thinking that a car hitting the water would make a big splash sound.... certainly lounder than a fish jumping ... would anyone who heard it think some one was just putting a boat in the water?

How noisy was this party? Loud music could have been supplied via car radios. Do parties do that nowadays?

are there waves in the reservoir? It seems pretty quiet there and I keep thinking that a car hitting the water would make a big splash sound.... certainly lounder than a fish jumping ... would anyone who heard it think some one was just putting a boat in the water?
Maybe.

In my experience launching a boat (not that people normally do that after midnight) is pretty quiet. Getting the vehicle that towed it out usually makes the most noise.

BBM

I'm not an expert-type but I have been around cars a long time including junkyards where cars or trucks got into head on collisions.

I don't think that kind of collision even at moderate speed would do that kind of damage.

Newer cars have crumple zones plus I think any impact in the water would be lessened because... it is in the water.

JMHO
So Franker, from your motorsports and car experience, what do you think might have caused that odd set of visible damage to KR's car?

Those videos are absolutely horrifying. Especially when you consider that Kiely would have been in the pitch dark. I don't know how anyone could escape from that situation completely unprepared and in darkness.

Heart breaking and just awful. jmo
Yes, and it’s jarring to view them with their laughing and humor when we are watching for a very solemn reason. I considered adding a trigger warning, but decided against it since the videos themselves are informational and not dramatized. That said, it is very upsetting to see just how impossible an escape would have been that night.

we have some park roads around here that are just dirt- their condition is highly variable and if it rains they are all rutted and non-navigable. other times, they are sort of straightened out with a piece of heavy equipment and dried and not so bad but you never really know what condition you will find them in.
I believe it! I'm in Massachusetts and there's one road that goes "behind" a lake that has a few homes on it, dirt road. I often drive back there to photograph birds on the lake where it's nice and quiet. When it rains heavily, that road is like slick, slimy clay. Even if you drive as slowly as you can, you shimmy around left and right, esp the second you hit a rut. Forget doing 15mph or thereabouts. The ruts just appear. I have had cars pass me and you basically come to a stop and let the other person creep by. Just because the "slime" makes you slide crazy ways.

In winter we have frost heaves that create more ruts and they may then grade the road and put gravel down but that disappears and if you hit it again after a rain, well, if that was the road next to a reservoir I wouldn't want to be within 50' of that water line as my car shimmies around given the slick conditions. That said, I don't think the roads or beach area were wet or super muddy at the time this tragedy occurred.

One thing I was curious about was if her door was forced open somehow in the evening before entering water? But then when her vehicle was removed from the water, all doors were closed and I'm not sure it would be possible for a dive team to close a door underwater, would it?? (If it somehow entered the lake open??) Sorry for multiple edits, but could glass from car window be what is in the taped off area?

Maybe something happened on land that exceeded the limits of her door, (bulging the panel) twisted the driver's side mirror nearly off, and shattered the driver's window? Another vehicle hitting an open car door, maybe? Again, just thinking of possibilities.

We have all surmised the driver's window was either broken outward by Kiely with a tool, or happened at some point in the turning (although I thought AWP said drivers was broken when they went it--need to clarify, if anyone can quickly please do. Uncertain if AWP only said rear window was down?)

It is possible the driver's window was broken INWARD? There isn't enough glass to venture a guess and we cannot see if there is glass inside the front.
Good analysis @Beekarina. I emailed the NYPOST this week about their authors' statement right after a Nick Rinn (AWP) quote in their article about the recovery. I posted that email here upthread. No word from the NYPOST. So I'm left still wondering if the driver's side window was shattered before (either before it went in the water or by an occupant trying to get out) or during the extraction of KR's car.

Yes, and it’s jarring to view them with their laughing and humor when we are watching for a very solemn reason. I considered adding a trigger warning, but decided against it since the videos themselves are informational and not dramatized. That said, it is very upsetting to see just how impossible an escape would have been that night.
No, it's okay. People need to see these things and we probably need more awareness campaigns about the dangers of cars near water. So many people die when their cars end up in the water. Add partying, darkness and inexperience into the mix and it's a perfect storm of risk. jmo

So Franker, from your motorsports and car experience, what do you think might have caused that odd set of visible damage to KR's car?
Keeping in mind that I am not an expert by any means.....

Either she hit some trees down to the reservoir or she didn't but the damage came from the collision with the bottom, rolling around and being extracted by LE.

I have not seen anything that LE provided that said the windshield was broken out. In 2013 cars had laminated windshields and they are tough to break.

Don't think we have pics of the front end but in order to start popping windows out that part of the car would have to be demolished, IMO.

Again, this is just my opinion and it may or may not be correct.

No, it's okay. People need to see these things and we probably need more awareness campaigns about the dangers of cars near water. So many people die when their cars end up in the water. Add partying, darkness and inexperience into the mix and it's a perfect storm of risk. jmo
I think it will be interesting if the tox screen shows anything- IMO KR could have been disoriented if she ingested something but she lives in a forest- it is always dark at night and there are always little dirt roads- so IMO that would be "normal" to her.

She was streaming it live with a bunch of people watching. Even so, I personally would have been a little freaked out. Actually, a lot freaked out. jmo
Right? I'm not sure if the people watching would have made me feel safer or not. I wouldn't have gone out there alone, not at night. I'm much more cautious in middle age though.

One thing I was curious about was if her door was forced open somehow in the evening before entering water? But then when her vehicle was removed from the water, all doors were closed and I'm not sure it would be possible for a dive team to close a door underwater, would it?? (If it somehow entered the lake open??) Sorry for multiple edits, but could glass from car window be what is in the taped off area?

Maybe something happened on land that exceeded the limits of her door, (bulging the panel) twisted the driver's side mirror nearly off, and shattered the driver's window? Another vehicle hitting an open car door, maybe? Again, just thinking of possibilities.

We have all surmised the driver's window was either broken outward by Kiely with a tool, or happened at some point in the turning (although I thought AWP said drivers was broken when they went it--need to clarify, if anyone can quickly please do. Uncertain if AWP only said rear window was down?)

It is possible the driver's window was broken INWARD? There isn't enough glass to venture a guess and we cannot see if there is glass inside the front.
" I'm not sure it would be possible for a dive team to close a door underwater"

As a PADI certified diver, my best guess is no. The force required would be immense in order to displace the water. Besides, AwP leaves vehicles in their natural state when they're discovered. Then, local police is notified.

Hours before the crew’s breakthrough Sunday, the sheriff’s offices for both Placer and Nevada counties bragged about devoting 19,951 cumulative man-hours to the search, using seven aircraft and with help from the California High Patrol, local police and fire and even the FBI. These YouTube divers did in 35 minutes what cops couldn’t do in two weeks in Kiely Rodni search

I looked for Nick Rinn's quote regarding the broken glass window to no avail. The NYPost wrote NR told them that the driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat. It is quite possible the glass window was compromised when the vehicle turtled in the water which coincides with the driver's door being pushed outward producing the bulge.

It is my opinion that although Nick Rinn dove Prosser to verify that it was indeed Kiely's vehicle as we've seen the license plate image that he took, the FBI gave the instructions on how the vehicle would be removed: in the upright position. That is because once the car's discovered, it became a crime scene. AwP leaves all vehicles as they are found until LEO can be notified. I believe it is the local LEO dive team that actually recovered the vehicle with AwP possibly on standby. The glory of locating Kiely and her car goes to Adventures with Purpose.

The AwP boats in Prosser are flying two flags. One is the flag of the USA and underneath is the universal diver's flag. We display the "divers down" flag, on the boat or on a buoy, above the area where we're diving so boaters know to steer clear within a 300' perimeter. It should only be flown when snorkeling or when diver's are in the water.

Screenshot 2022-08-26 8.47.05 PM.png

BBM

I'm not an expert-type but I have been around cars a long time including junkyards where cars or trucks got into head on collisions.

I don't think that kind of collision even at moderate speed would do that kind of damage.

Newer cars have crumple zones plus I think any impact in the water would be lessened because... it is in the water.

JMHO
I noticed the side airbags didn't deploy. So, an outward dent on the driver door but no impact above? idk

Very good examples - thank you!! Now imagine those scenarios in the dark. Pitch black. OMG. I can't swim, so it's even more horrifying for me. For anyone who thinks it's "simple" - just do x y and z and get out, um, yeah, no.
It was very humbling to watch the videos, step off my soap box, and realize I would absolutely die if my car entered water with my windows up, day or night. A strong man is using all his might to open a door with his legs/quads, and it doesn’t budge. He can’t open any door until there’s no air in any part of the vehicle and the pressure equalizes, and he can’t hold his breath long enough for that to happen. It’s literally a coffin unless you have a window breaker. MOO

It was very humbling to watch the videos, step off my soap box, and realize I would absolutely die if my car entered water with my windows up, day or night. A strong man is using all his might to open a door with his legs/quads, and it doesn’t budge. He can’t open any door until there’s no air in any part of the vehicle and the pressure equalizes, and he can’t hold his breath long enough for that to happen. It’s literally a coffin unless you have a window breaker. MOO
If the airbags deploy, they may smack you and they are in your way as well

I saw a video on YT of a local driving around Prosser in the daytime. When she happened upon the beach area she noted that the dark spots on the ground are from campfires. If that's the case, then I'd say there could've been some partying going on at this location. Although, I don't know how long residual campfire marks on the ground stick around. Would rain wash it away?
IMO
I find it hard to believe there would be any fires. Here in Nevada County we are all on high alert for forest fire danger and smoke attacks the attention of everyone around. So those could possibly be old? I wish we had a photo.

Funny you mention that. When Kiely first disappeared, someone here locally referred to the "bonfire." I was shocked because fires just aren't allowed here anymore due to the horrific CA fires in recent years. Now I'm thinking it was a historical reference. Remember, locals have been partying there for decades so maybe they always used to have a bonfire.
If so, though the natural place to have it would be the beach not the woods. Speculation.

I'm starting to wonder if the kids were not at the party site, or at least a group of them, by 12:30 am. That something happened on the beach.

Kiely being so intoxicated that she could somehow drive straight into water after navigating those treacherous dirt roads = does not compute. But there's actually nothing confirmed by LE to support the idea that she was at the "party site" near 12:30 am.
It does seem that bonfires are a thing at the parties.
This is from 2004, at another popular spot in the area - Boca Reservoir and a teen was burned.

Underage kids throwing parties in the woods outside of town is nothing new. But as an incident last Friday night at a party near Boca Reservoir illustrates, there is always danger involved when kids, cars, alcohol and fire mix.

The Boca gathering, at which 19-year-old Christa Williams of Truckee sustained second-degree burns after falling into an open fire, was quickly broken up by police when they received the 911 call about Williams’ injuries.

However, according to Tahoe Truckee High School senior Michelle Bergman, 17, many of the students in attendance made their way to another party going on that night off of U.S. Forest Service Road 06 behind Ponderosa Palisades in Placer County.

Bergman, who drove the injured Williams to Boca dam where she was transferred to an ambulance, blamed the lack of options Truckee kids have for nighttime activities in the area.
“I guess there’s just nothing to do around Truckee, so we all think ‘Let’s go out to Boca and have a party,'” she said.

I find it hard to believe there would be any fires. Here in Nevada County we are all on high alert for forest fire danger and smoke attacks the attention of everyone around. So those could possibly be old? I wish we had a photo.
Would the local police go to Prosser if they saw a fire - even with the lake right there? 200 - 300 raucous partiers with underage drinking didn’t bring them in - are rules closely followed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks