Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there "No Swimming" signs posted in most of the areas, that you know of? Just curious (and yes, I know she was not swimming) because those steep dropoffs could really harm even an experienced swimmer, unfamiliar with the location. Most "beaches" have warnings like crazy all over the place with designated swimming areas.

I too go to many swimming places that say "no swimming" and I know much of that is liability...However, I think a key distinction here is "not recommended."

Walking just slightly down the road, you can see how it narrows. I forgot to bring a tape measure so used my shoes to get an approximate width. Only about 9 feet wide where those 2 trees are.

Note the road is actually much bumpier and uneven than it appears in these non 3D photos.

Also note the road she should have driven to get out to this asphalt is in the forest with trees. The nighttime video the other direction shows heading toward wide open terrain that is obviously toward the lake.

Growing up in a rural area, I've seen stuff like this, more narrow and more bumpy getting around lakes, rivers, creeks, woods in general. I've seen crazy wrecks, etc...There's obviously a lot of ways this could have played out so I'm not discounting what you're seeing but sadly, this almost seems like normal stuff I see still to this day not too far from where I live

A member here had experience with collisions and vehicle damage to cars that end up under water, and they described the outward dent on the door, I believe, as being consistent with a reinforcement bar being bent or forced outward due to impact with the bottom of a waterbody.

To that member or anyone else who might know, if a vehicle sinks nose down due to the weight of the engine and impacts a reservoir bottom before resting upside down, I imagine that would at least cause some outward crumpling, bending or flexing of other parts of the car absorbing the impact.

If the drivers’ door and window frame bowed or flexed, could that cause a spontaneous shattering of that window? Same question about the windshield, if it turns out to be shattered.
BBM

I'm not an expert-type but I have been around cars a long time including junkyards where cars or trucks got into head on collisions.

I don't think that kind of collision even at moderate speed would do that kind of damage.

Newer cars have crumple zones plus I think any impact in the water would be lessened because... it is in the water.

JMHO

And we will eventually have the highly precise and complex analysis results of the investigation from the various experts of the MAIT.
I'm no expert but have been listening to a lot of forensic experts and divers who have been in law enforcement for many years. Apparently the vehicle will flip upside down due to the weight of the engine in front. Another thing that is puzzling me....photos of the vehicle being pulled from the water.....some of them are entirely different. Some photos (aerial) show the vehicle completely covered by the blue tarp. Another photo shows only half covered with a lot of different personnel pictured than the one previous. Can anyone explain this?

BBM

I'm not an expert-type but I have been around cars a long time including junkyards where cars or trucks got into head on collisions.

I don't think that kind of collision even at moderate speed would do that kind of damage.

Newer cars have crumple zones plus I think any impact in the water would be lessened because... it is in the water.

JMHO

One thing I was curious about was if her door was forced open somehow in the evening before entering water? But then when her vehicle was removed from the water, all doors were closed and I'm not sure it would be possible for a dive team to close a door underwater, would it?? (If it somehow entered the lake open??) Sorry for multiple edits, but could glass from car window be what is in the taped off area?

Maybe something happened on land that exceeded the limits of her door, (bulging the panel) twisted the driver's side mirror nearly off, and shattered the driver's window? Another vehicle hitting an open car door, maybe? Again, just thinking of possibilities.

We have all surmised the driver's window was either broken outward by Kiely with a tool, or happened at some point in the turning (although I thought AWP said drivers was broken when they went it--need to clarify, if anyone can quickly please do. Uncertain if AWP only said rear window was down?)

It is possible the driver's window was broken INWARD? There isn't enough glass to venture a guess and we cannot see if there is glass inside the front.

Very interesting and also very alarming.

I have a nephew, here in NYC, who is a police officer assigned to a rescue/recovery scuba unit. They are exceedingly well-trained.

Of course, this is a big, big city, surrounded by water everywhere, with incidents all the time.

In a rural area, there may not be the tax base or frequency of situations that propel LE to invest in the proper training and equipment.

Jmo
@Arkay, yes Ive seen that NY has trained for better recovery and evidence procedures.
Kudos!
I don’t think every county would have to invest but certainly valid for urban areas near waterways. And maybe within the NPS. At least making guidelines for recovery procedures standard where warranted for evidence preservation.
Maybe the Alameda diving team is better trained since it’s the Bay area but of xourse rhey were not there when Kiely was found.
I dunno but I imagine the same cost arguments were made back in the day for DNA testing/reporting and for sure Rape testing and kits do not have a history of being taken seriously at all.
Even NAMUS is still extremely under utilized.

If the beach is a popular area for swimming, off-roading, etc., it wouldn’t surprise me that KR and others would have been on the beach that night for any number of reasons. I grew up in a mountain town with bad roads, lakes and also constant high school parties at those places. People often got stuck on sides of bad roads, in mud near lakes and in snow. If someone was stuck, the first response was always to push them out. Usually with the driver navigating the wheel while one or more pushed until they gained traction. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on how best to get unstuck, shouting “cut the wheel”, “hit the gas”, etc… I can see KR getting stuck, her passenger trying to push her out, and inadvertently sending her out into the water. Passenger would be horrified, panicked, lots of reasons to run. Not that it’s the right thing to do, but if they thought they were helping her, they might feel justified in not wanting the blame. It seems a more probable way to get pushed into the lake than to think of elaborate coverups or pranks imo.

One thing I was curious about was if her door was forced open somehow in the evening before entering water? But then when her vehicle was removed from the water, all doors were closed and I'm not sure it would be possible for a dive team to close a door underwater, would it?? (If it somehow entered the lake open??) Sorry for multiple edits, but could glass from car window be what is in the taped off area?

Maybe something happened on land that exceeded the limits of her door, (bulging the panel) twisted the driver's side mirror nearly off, and shattered the driver's window? Another vehicle hitting an open car door, maybe? Again, just thinking of possibilities.

We have all surmised the driver's window was either broken outward by Kiely with a tool, or happened at some point in the turning (although I thought AWP said drivers was broken when they went it--need to clarify, if anyone can quickly please do. Uncertain if AWP only said rear window was down?)

It is possible the driver's window was broken INWARD? There isn't enough glass to venture a guess and we cannot see if there is glass inside the front.
BBM

That sounds possible or maybe she hit a tree?

Probably more likely that her car was damaged by rolling around on the bottom or in the extraction effort but who really knows?

IMO

On this map if I'm reading it right, they are classifying the dirt "road" that I photographed today as a "trail" open to vehicles 50 inches wide or less.

Not that most people read the maps and follow rules in that area. It does appear her vehicle was wider than the 50" allowed: Used 2013 Honda CR-V Specs & Features | Edmunds
You're reading it wrong. The roads are marked with a black and white stripe, which means roads open to all vehicles. A dashed black line would be trails only for vehicles less than 50".

Well, those trees are so narrow right by the sides of the little road - and to that how bumpy the road is, and that it was pitch black and there were also shadows created by her car headlights, I'm surprised she even made it as far as the lake without crashing into the forest if she was drunk/drugged.

I would have had to drive at 5 mph stone cold sober to get out of there. Otherwise I wouldn't have got out of there!

MOO.
Exactly. That's why it's all still not adding up for me.

If the beach is a popular area for swimming, off-roading, etc., it wouldn’t surprise me that KR and others would have been on the beach that night for any number of reasons. I grew up in a mountain town with bad roads, lakes and also constant high school parties at those places. People often got stuck on sides of bad roads, in mud near lakes and in snow. If someone was stuck, the first response was always to push them out. Usually with the driver navigating the wheel while one or more pushed until they gained traction. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on how best to get unstuck, shouting “cut the wheel”, “hit the gas”, etc… I can see KR getting stuck, her passenger trying to push her out, and inadvertently sending her out into the water. Passenger would be horrified, panicked, lots of reasons to run. Not that it’s the right thing to do, but if they thought they were helping her, they might feel justified in not wanting the blame. It seems a more probable way to get pushed into the lake than to think of elaborate coverups or pranks imo.
No idea if something like that happened or not but hadn't heard it before and it makes as much sense as some of the other theories.

Exactly. That's why it's all still not adding up for me.

And it seems as though the other local woman, the one with the well-equipped Jeep, DID drive very slowly and carefully.

She did note it would be possible for cars to go down the same route, but she didn't think it was a great idea. You could tell she was being careful, not wanting to get stuck etc either.

You're reading it wrong. The roads are marked with a black and white stripe, which means roads open to all vehicles. A dashed black line would be trails only for vehicles less than 50".
You might be right. I'm not sure I see anything then between motorcycle trails and this on the map. Do you see any examples of what the less than 50" marker looks like?

BBM

JMHO
Agreed, but I’m thinking less about the impact of the collision, per se, and more about the nose hitting the bottom with the entire weight of the vehicle directly above that point of impact. Usually with ordinary collisions, the weight of the car is supported by the tires and the road. Even if it were just for a few seconds before rolling over upside down, it seems like there would be some flexing that might pop out windows.

In the meantime, I did find this article from a window replacement shop, FWIW: 7 Common Causes of Cracked Car Windows

From the article:

“Even at a low speed, impact can potentially bend the window frame enough or exert enough pressure on the window to crack or shatter the glass.”

I’ll keep sleuthing on this point.

And it seems as though the other local woman, the one with the well-equipped Jeep, DID drive very slowly and carefully.

She did note it would be possible for cars to go down the same route, but she didn't think it was a great idea. You could tell she was being careful, not wanting to get stuck etc either.
Just an aside but that looked very desolate and dark out there.

Great representation of what it looked like to Kiely but hope the local woman had a friend or 2 in the Jeep with her.

What have I missed, Kiely had a passenger?

I
It's hard to judge the distance but in your screenshot wouldn't the area in the taped off rectangle been underwater on the 6th? If so then what on earth would it be preserving? Something heavy enough to not have floated away? I'm at a loss; it appears that two people are staying next to it so it must have some importance.
I couldn’t see it, but did it look like an object? If not an object, it *could* have been tire tracks, which they may have wanted to preserve or take molds of, in case tires dug in while getting stuck, that were uncovered when the water line dropped…. All my conjecture/speculation only—I have no real idea what was there, but this could be one possibility.

On local social media, I've seen a few posts from the musician community with musical tributes to her. The silence from most of her peers is deafening, but so was their silence and inaction when asked by police to help. If she was home schooled for much of her childhood, maybe many of them did not know her well. It still seems odd and leaves me with an uneasy feeling.
Most of Kiely's peers are posting on social media. There is certainly not silence. There are big meetups in the area too where her friends gather.

As far as not speaking to media, after the social media sh*tstorm that hit Sami and Jagger, the smart thing to do is not talk to the reporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member