Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On local social media, I've seen a few posts from the musician community with musical tributes to her. The silence from most of her peers is deafening, but so was their silence and inaction when asked by police to help. If she was home schooled for much of her childhood, maybe many of them did not know her well. It still seems odd and leaves me with an uneasy feeling.
Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't know most of people at party, since she didn't go to school with them.
She changed her mind the day of the party and decided to attend it, although it had been planned for a month or two.
She drove her best friend, Mags, to the party and then Mags left after 10 minutes.
She allegedly extended her curfew at 11:00(?) PM to stay later at this party which her "friend" said was overwhelming and full of older, out-of-town people with heavy drugs. Her alleged new plan was to leave ~12:15 AM.
Her friend said she said goodbye to her ~12:25 PM and then received a call from KR ~12:36 AM, asking the friend if she needed a ride home (so presumably KR was allegedly still at the party at that point).

So she changed her mind three times that day/night in favor of attending/staying at that party:
1. Attending party instead of going with mother to Hot August Nights in Reno.
2. Extending curfew past 11 PM by allegedly texting her mother.
3. Extending her stay past 12:15 AM, her alleged revised time to leave, and to at least ~12:36 AM.

<modsnip: Please don't tell other members what to do.>

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I read this somewhere in the thread but can someone describe what the ground is like on this "beach" where the car was found? I vaguely remember it being described as not a traditional sandy-type beach?
Driving on a sand beach requires skill and knowledge of how to do so.
If it does consist of sand, I keep thinking about trips to the OBX when we drove my Jeep on the beach. It's not an easy feat, and you can easily get stuck or damage your vehicle if you don't know what you're doing.
Not to say Kiely didn't know what she was doing, being local she possibly had experience doing this, but a Honda Pilot isn't exactly a vehicle that would be recommended driving on a beach and she would likely have to let air out of her tires to drive on the sand and not get stuck.
I doubt someone who is trying to make it home for curfew and may or may not be inebriated would let air out of the tires to drive on a small patch of beach and then plan to inflate the tires to get back home.
IMO, she wasn't driving on the beach and however it ended up there, the car took the straightest path from the road to the water, otherwise it likely would have gotten stuck in the sand.

I know I read this somewhere in the thread but can someone describe what the ground is like on this "beach" where the car was found? I vaguely remember it being described as not a traditional sandy-type beach?
If it does consist of sand, I keep thinking about trips to the OBX when we drove my Jeep on the beach. It's not an easy feat, and you can easily get stuck or damage your vehicle if you don't know what you're doing.
Not to say Kiely didn't know what she was doing, being local she possibly had experience doing this, but a Honda Pilot isn't exactly a vehicle that would be recommended driving on a beach and she would likely have to let air out of her tires to drive on the sand and not get stuck.
I doubt someone who is trying to make it home for curfew and may or may not be inebriated would let air out of the tires to drive on a small patch of beach and then plan to inflate the tires to get back home.
IMO, she wasn't driving on the beach and however it ended up there, the car took the straightest path from the road to the water, otherwise it likely would have gotten stuck in the sand.
Packed sand/dirt. Especially with the lack of rain. More like Daytona Beach is my
impression.
JMO

Not to say Kiely didn't know what she was doing, being local she possibly had experience doing this, but a Honda Pilot isn't exactly a vehicle that would be recommended driving on sand and she would likely have to let air out of her tires to drive on sand and not get stuck.
I doubt someone who is trying to make it home for curfew and may or may not be inebriated would let air out of the tires to drive on sand and then plan to inflate the tires to get back home.
In the location where her vehicle was found, it sounds like it's more hard-packed dirt than a loose sand beach.
Keep in mind that water was higher on night of party and so extended further up the shore, it's not known (or at least not been released yet) exactly where vehicle may have gone into the water, any tracks left may disappeared due to weather and/or traffic by other vehicles/people, etc.

<modsnip>

I feel like she went rocketing along in the wrong direction into the reservoir without realizing it.

That’s why driving under the influence is against the law, especially underage, as what may seem obvious is distorted by intoxication.

Once she was heading towards the reservoir it looked very straight forward into the water.

There’s the entry to beach, beach length then the water no other obstructions to block entry into the reservoir, right?

What a horrible thought she was going along looking for asphalt that was never going to start as she headed probably confidentially toward the dark water.

All IMO
Have you watched the FB video?

I'm going to hypothesize that the PI may have been using a wide angle lens on his camera? I take real estate photos sometimes. Wide angle lens is super helpful for capturing a larger space but also distorting. Often makes rooms appear bigger than they are.
Anyway, I am watching the video now. It shows much more accurately what I experienced as far as two things:
1. the roads are narrow
2. you can see more of the contour of the road due to the shadows

IMO she was not "rocketing along." Purely my opinion.

The correct way home never involves any wide open space like the beach. The narrow pot hole road leads directly to the asphalt.

Also: I wish the video had contrasted the two directions at the "wrong right hand turn." The way home is into the woods. As soon as she turns right, the horizon opens up. You can't see the water but anyone familiar with the area would know it's the way to the water because of the terrain opening up.

This girl was young and inexperienced, yes. But she grew up in Tahoe and probably had been to this reservoir many, many times. She was a camper. She had driving experience on bad roads near her home. I cannot rule out that she just "took a wrong turn." I do not think that is the most likely scenario.

Edit: I'm continuing to watch the nighttime video. Yes it's dark but you can still see the basic terrain. It's not that dark. I'm going to make a bold statement that for anyone who grew up with a lot of outdoors experience and any familiarity at all with this area, that it's obvious she's moving toward the lake. If she were going home, she'd be moving into trees not wide open lake terrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! The video was found by member @WillenFan21.
Thank you for this! I was just about to ask if there's any video of driving around at night time around Prosser.

ETA: I'd imagine Kiely's visibility wasn't as good as it is in the video because her headlights were almost 10 years old. I believe at that age they probably had oxidation on them. IMO

Last edited:
Thank you for this! I was just about to ask if there's any video of driving around at night time around Prosser.
You're welcome! I've been praying some local would go out there at night and make that drive. It certainly clearly illustrates what Kiely was up against trying to make her way out of there that night. It's so sad she was in that risky situation all alone at night. jmo

This leads to ALOT more questions for me. she knows the area. Was she alone? this gives date rape vibes. hey let’s me at the lake so no one knows. things moves to fast, she try’s to stop??…..maybe she got done there and blacked out and ended up i’m the water?

You're welcome! I've been praying some local would go out there at night and make that drive. It certainly clearly illustrates what Kiely was up against trying to make her way out of there that night. It's so sad she was in that risky situation all alone at night. jmo
I am glad a local did it after dark as well. I wonder how much more driving experience this young lady that did the night drive may have than Kiely? I can certainly better envision KIely being disoriented and ending up in the water after seeing this. JMO

The video is definitely helpful. Gives a more accurate perspective on how rough the roads are IMO than the PI video.
That said, I wish she didn't get out of the car with the flashlight at the beach. Walking around with the flashlight does not give an accurate sense of what it would look like with the car headlights from the perspective of the driver seat.

I can totally understand not wanting to keep driving down there so I'm not faulting our brave videographer. Just saying because of stopping at the beach, we don't get any footage of the abrupt change in terrain from the perspective of actually driving it, nor how much time she had to turn around.

I am glad a local did it after dark as well. I wonder how much more driving experience this young lady that did the night drive may have than Kiely? I can certainly better envision KIely being disoriented and ending up in the water after seeing this. JMO
Remarkable young lady. I don't think I'd have that kind of gumption to go out there all alone at night and make that video. But then, I'm a city girl. Still, major props to her. IMO

The video is definitely helpful. Gives a more accurate perspective on how rough the roads are IMO than the PI video.
That said, I wish she didn't get out of the car with the flashlight at the beach. Walking around with the flashlight does not give an accurate sense of what it would look like with the car headlights from the perspective of the driver seat.

I can totally understand not wanting to keep driving down there so I'm not faulting our brave videographer. Just saying because of stopping at the beach, we don't get any footage of the abrupt change in terrain from the perspective of actually driving it, nor how much time she had to turn around.
You live there, right? Is that something you could do?

This leads to ALOT more questions for me. she knows the area. Was she alone? this gives date rape vibes. hey let’s me at the lake so no one knows. things moves to fast, she try’s to stop??…..maybe she got done there and blacked out and ended up i’m the water?
BBM.. Isn't it likely that at least some of the other reported 200-300 people there might notice??

You live there, right? Is that something you could do?
I don't really even want to go back in the daytime because it's hard on my car. Hoping to keep my car running another 10 years at least. It was a bunch of money to replace the shocks this year and not looking to do it again anytime soon.

Not faulting the videographer at all. Her video is a significant contribution and very brave to go down there in the dark. Obviously she knew it was the beach because she got out of the car. How did she know that? because it was obvious as the driver of the car.

We have no footage of how it looks with headlights starting to drive down the beach. Based on the rest of the video, I still believe it would have been obvious.

I don't really even want to go back in the daytime because it's hard on my car. Hoping to keep my car running another 10 years at least. It was a bunch of money to replace the shocks this year and not looking to do it again anytime soon.

Not faulting the videographer at all. Her video is a significant contribution and very brave to go down there in the dark. Obviously she knew it was the beach because she got out of the car. How did she know that? because it was obvious as the driver of the car.

We have no footage of how it looks with headlights starting to drive down the beach. Based on the rest of the video, I still believe it would have been obvious.

Obviously, she knew it was the beach because she was expecting it to be the beach. She probably wasn’t impaired in any way, either.

If her mind had been muddled in some way, whether from fatigue or from various substances, things might not have been so clear.

Obviously, she knew it was the beach because she was expecting it to be the beach. She probably wasn’t impaired in any way, either.

If her mind had been muddled in some way, whether from fatigue or from various substances, things might not have been so clear.
Kiely was so inebriated that she somehow could thread her way along a significant portion of extremely rough ATV trail from the party to the beach without running off the road or wrecking, yet didn't see when it obviously turned to a wide open beach?

Still not buying it. I'll go back to what LE said earlier in the investigation: "someone knows something."

I hesitate to even admit this, but once, when I was about 18, which was legal drinking age in my state at the time, my friends and I were at a party, and I attempted to jump into a swimming pool that had no water in it, fully clothed. Perceptions of what is "obvious" can differ greatly, depending on level of impairment or sobriety. Thankfully, I had friends who stopped me. JMO

Last edited:

She knew where the beach was because she mentioned in the video it was her 4th time out there walking/driving around. She'd already made the drive during the day and left flowers. I'm not going to nitpick her because no one should be driving up to the water there at night. We don't want to be looking for another missing vehicle and person in that lake. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia