Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a few logical questions could help determine what happened that fateful night.

• What gear was the car in when it came to rest on the bottom of the Reservoir?
  • Were her headlights on?
  • Which seat belts were either locked in place or unlocked in the car? Was KR locked into any of the seat belts?
  • Were the doors and hatch unlocked and/or opened? Was the sunroof open?
  • Was her phone ever found? If so was it in close proximity to her car?

• The autopsy will also speak volumes. I am not a medical professional and I don't know how long tissue can be preserved after being underwater two weeks regarding toxicology and/or decomposition?

• Can the CRV's electrical systems (EDR) still have functional readings after being underwater for two weeks?

These are only questions only LE can answer.

JMO
Good questions!

The gear it was in would seem to be important.

I guess it had auto headlights but if not that would be easy to figure out.

As far as I know it didn't have a sunroof.

I think finding the phone is critical.

I seriously doubt that an EDR could still operate after being submerged for 2 weeks but what the heck do I know?

JMHO

You are awesome, thx for doing this! I am using my phone to try to compare images…I do think those marks are recently new, it’s hard to tell underwater. I’m very interested in what they looked like after the car was recovered and I hope those images will be released eventually. I was trying to figure out if the middle seatbelt was a two part mechanism. In my Honda Pilot the seatbelt in the middle has to be pulled down from the ceiling to connect to the belt on the seat. I found this image for a 2011 Honda CR V. I wonder if it would be long enough to somehow (on purpose?) get stuck there to maybe hold “something” in that area?View attachment 364363

In my SUV, the seat belt located in the hatch ceiling is used for a child car seat positioned in the back seat. JMO

ETA: add link

Last edited:
Yea hard to tell but doesn't look like a big gap from this angle. On mine, it's big enough for a small woman to probably be showing through. OTOH, these things are pretty flimsy. I'm not going to try flipping my car and putting my weight on it underwater, but I would imagine it might give way. And then a body might be visible even if it had originally been under the flap.
Awww.. c'mon. Flip it and take some pics. ;)

Seriously though.... that looks exactly like mine and it would have MOST DEFININTELY given away, or at least bowed, with 118 lbs resting on it. Heck, a lot less than that and it would bow or 'pop' open.

With all that said, I still think she was either on top of it if it was in the closed position, or it wasn't pulled closed so she was just visible back there, but I do not think that she was found under the closed cover. That's like 0% probability for me.

If we are planning to put a person on the moon in the near future, why can't we find an I-Phone in 14 ft of water?

The original Apollo missions had nothing more than "Palm Pilot" technology.

JMO

I think a few logical questions could help determine what happened that fateful night.

• What gear was the car in when it came to rest on the bottom of the Reservoir?
  • Were her headlights on?
  • Which seat belts were either locked in place or unlocked in the car? Was KR locked into any of the seat belts?
  • Were the doors and hatch unlocked and/or opened? Was the sunroof open?
  • Was her phone ever found? If so was it in close proximity to her car?

• The autopsy will also speak volumes. I am not a medical professional and I don't know how long tissue can be preserved after being underwater two weeks regarding toxicology and/or decomposition?

• Can the CRV's electrical systems (EDR) still have functional readings after being underwater for two weeks?

These are only questions only LE can answer.

JMO
I read a study done by the NHTSA about EDR survivability in fire, crashes, and immersion, and in the test they immerse them in water 3 meters deep. In the study it suggests the EDR data survives the tests but the units need to be dried out first, and sometimes corrosion needs to be cleaned off the PCBs. I think it suggested they would be ok for up to a timeframe of 30 days. I may have misread that part due to viewing the pdf on my phone but it seems like they should be ok to rear out the data. This study did tests on light vehicle EDR units from model year 2012. The immersion test info comes in at page 74.

If you're talking about the dimensions of the cargo area... all I could find is 37.2 cubic feet but thinking you're looking more for dimension in inches? Also, which area of the cover securing are you asking about? Mine has 2 areas. The back of the cover which fits in kinda like how you put as toilet paper bar into the holder. Then you pull it to cover the back, and secure it by sliding it through a V-shaped outline on the sides of the car. So basically the cover is secured in 2 areas. Front and back.

If that's not what you're asking for, can you state it in another way? TIA. :)

Either way... I didn't understand @Truckeeite's Q the first time I read it so went out to measure how much I could see through the gap in the end of the cover when it's pulled closed. Note that I have a Subaru but this is likely close, and gets my point across.

So, with the cover closed, and peering through the back window of my Subaru, I could see a LOT more than you'd think. It's always bugged me that they didn't fit that cover better to reach closer to the door. Anyway, so I moved around to see exactly how far into the back I could see. Much more than the gap between flap end and door. I could see 8.5" from the very front (which is the back of the car) and 8.5" into the cargo area. I had to move my head up and down to see the entire area. IOW, had I just stood there and peeked in without moving my head up and down, I'd only see through an inch or so gap. But moving my head up, then bending down (to lower my vantage point), I had more visibility. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm out and about! I had never considered it through a thieves eyes. I just knew there was like a 1" gap when in actuality, you can see further into the cargo area if you just try. Not sure how it works on a Honda CR-V.
There is no cover on a Honda CRV, as far as I know.

I’m still very surprised that AWP found Kiely’s car so quickly, after LE searched extensively with no results. It doesn’t instill confidence. I hope that all evidence was preserved in such a way that the investigation is not compromised (thinking about the way the car was removed from the water etc). I have no idea if AWP is able to draw conclusions regarding foul play, but I am troubled by their opinion. I also wish they had more time during their search for Suzanne Morphew. They’re impressive.
But it was found 50ft out from shore plus it is very murky its tough to see a few feet ahead. Its also possible LE divers couldn't see the vehicle from where they were and turned back just a possibility, that's all. I think in water that murky one has to be right there bascially to be able to see any anomolies in that silty water.

This shows a Honda CRV 2013 hatch interior. Don’t know if you can judge the gap.
View attachment 364458

Do we know if Kiely's car had a cover like this installed, because I don't think they come with the standard purchase of a Honda CRV and this look to me like a photo from a company that sells these kinds of covers, but it is not a Honda product per se. I may be reading this wrong, but that's how it looks to me. When we looked at Honda CRV's before we bought ours, we never saw one with a cover in the cargo area.

I don’t think the 2013 CR-V LX came with a cargo cover. There’s a discussion on the forum for CRV owners about it:

I didn't see any either and thought I would have, especially in the vid of them pulling the SUV out of the river since her car has curtain air bags as well as front and side. I don't think it crashed into the water, it was likely a slowish forward movement. Maybe 10-20 MPH? Maybe more but I don't feel as though it barreled into the water. All MOO.

Per Kiely's VIN info:

Front Airbag Location1st Row (Driver and Passenger)
Curtain Air Bag Locations1st and 2nd Rows
Side Air Bag Locations1st Row (Driver and Passenger)

You'll have to enter her VIN yourself as the URL doesn't save that info. VIN 2HKRM4H35DH689544 (Obtained with her license plate #).

Where did you get the VIN from? I have seen it before but cannot find it now.
When the Petito case was going on; the VIN for Gabby's van was made public and sales details of the vans "life" were easily findable.
I cannot find any of that with Kiely's Honda

I'm not sure if Kiely still had/used the cover.

I will return with a photo of her CRV and show you why.

Edited: Timeline of California teen Kiely Rodni’s disappearance: What we know

Look at the back of her CRV. No way of knowing if this was standard for her. I'm also not sure Kiely technically owned the CRV. When I took the screenshot, I also pointed out the plates say July 2023. Her birthday is in September. Not sure how California registrations work, but in states where I have lived, the stickers match your birth month. Maybe not relevant, but possibly in terms of vehicle maintenance, condition, etc.--i.e. a car a teen owned and took care of more likely to have some quirks and maybe ignore small malfunctions than one an adult did.

View attachment 364369
Is it just me or does the photo appear to be taken at a junkyard/ scrapyard?

The water level had dropped (4 ft) significantly since the car went into the water, making it seem the car had been much closer to shore. The car was originally about 80 feet from shore, when it was found about 55 feet from shore.
AWP found the car with sonar, they were right above and dropped a magnet, they could not see it with thru the water. LE searches had taken place at least a week earlier, and included flyovers.
There is drone footage that I am currently struggling to find that has been posted here earlier that shows what could easily be Kiely's Honda SUV under water.
If I find it again I will post it again unless someone else can point me to it before I find it.

You're not confused. I used my hand and I came up with the same conclusion, although I think perhaps you meant the front was facing toward the shore? Please correct me if you didn't mean that!! At least with my hand exercise that's how it worked. Don't laugh... I also used scissors (pointy end the front of the car) and a checkbook (river). My desk was the shore (LOL :p) My scissors still ended up pointing toward the shore, not away from it. UNLESS they entered backwards (in reverse).
With windows being open as they were IMO the SUV most likely rolled onto its side as it sank nose first, the side that took on water the quickest would have most likely hit bottom first and that could explain the damage to the hood, windshield and the roof.
With the water at the time being less than 20 feet deep it would have had to take on water very quickly to not end up on it's side or even it's wheels. Sinking slower or faster would not have ended up in the same position. I wonder if any doors were slightly open as it sank.

There is drone footage that I am currently struggling to find that has been posted here earlier that shows what could easily be Kiely's Honda SUV under water.
If I find it again I will post it again unless someone else can point me to it before I find it.
1662449149412.pngThat image is from the day the vehicle was found, and it's already flipped so the white roof can be seen thru the water. Those people you see on the shore are LE and the tow truck operator. There are other photos and video showing the LE in bluish color and the other people wearing yellow. I believe the car has already been moved closer to shore in this still shot.
So, no a drone would not have been able to detect the vehicle upside down that day, when it was in below 14 feet of murky water.

View attachment 364530That image is from the day the vehicle was found, and it's already flipped so the white roof can be seen thru the water. Those people you see on the shore are LE and the tow truck operator. There are other photos and video showing the LE in bluish color and the other people wearing yellow. I believe the car has already been moved closer to shore in this still shot.
So, no a drone would not have been able to detect the vehicle upside down that day, when it was in below 14 feet of murky water.
Thank you for posting this.
The picture I saw is different than this one, the red buoy was not there and there were no people on shore, drone was higher or had a wider angle lens and also got more of the beach in the picture. The video it was taken from showed nobody standing on the beach at all except the drone pilot. No vehicles could be seen either.
I could be missing something but I am positive the picture I mean has been posted here before

1662450609235.png
The picture I saw is different than this one, the red buoy was not there and there were no people on shore, drone was higher or had a wider angle lens and also got more of the beach in the picture. The video it was taken from showed nobody standing on the beach at all except the drone pilot. No vehicles could be seen either.
I could be missing something but I am positive the picture I mean has been posted here before
The only drone footage I've ever seen was taken by AWP, which the above stills are from, as they had their drone up while the vehicle was being recovered. They had not been to this lake before the day they found the car, the same day the images are from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member