Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mags was only at the party for 10 minutes, how does she know how drunk Kiely was?

This is why I wonder if Kiely was possibly drinking already when she arrived with Mags?

We will probably never know, but certainly not having a safe ride home as good a reason for leaving with your boyfriend as being irritated by pushy guys with bongs.

I don't really understand the logic of saying that if she was sober enough to drive the roads around the lake successfully for a few minutes then she can't have been drunk enough to make a wrong turn and drive into the lake. In the vast majority of drunk driving accidents the impaired driver has driven a decent distance before the accident occurs. Often on busy streets or highways. Being impaired doesn't usually mean you're totally incapable of driving, it just means that you're more likely to make mistakes or get distracted and your reaction time will be slowed.

When I was around Kiely's age, one of my friends drove home drunk from some party. He successfully navigated about 20 miles of windy roads and then drove straight off the road and down an embankment because he got distracted and completely missed a turn. He rolled his car multiple times and totaled it, but he walked away pretty much unharmed. Pure luck. If he'd ended up in a lake instead of a field, he'd almost certainly be dead.

THIS ^^^^^

I grew up in a world of kids drinking and driving in a rural area similar to that area. As a teen, I drove with one eye shut a couple times to avoid "double lines" on back roads or trying to figure out bumps on dirt roads. I could still "drive", it is not hard to press the gas pedal and steer a wheel. I remember thinking, I can totally do this, I am fine. What it really meant was my reaction time was severely impaired, my judgement was severely impaired, and my coordination was severely impaired. I was lucky. We had kids die or get injured this way. Some kids who wrecked were ok. Many did indeed make it home ok. Most people who get caught drinking and driving have done it many, many times before they are caught.

You can absolutely drive a car drunk, the level of success is the question. Start stacking the barriers to successfully get home and the odds are not great. Darkness, Chemical Impairment, Lack of orientation or situational familiarity with an area, young driver, distraction. Then add a lake, cold water, upturned vehicle, etc.

This was the perfect storm or snow ball of a typical teen making a series of impaired or bad choices. We were all teens, we learned once our frontal cortexes fully formed in our 20's on how to pause and break the series of events. Sometimes...

I sure hope we get some new information from the NCSO this week. I'm not sure how much longer we can continue to beat dead horses, without being charged by the SPCA. JMO

Last edited:
Roadside Nick is not a suspect! After reporting what he did on the tipline and then questioned by LE, if his alibi wasnt tight, he would have been named a person of interest...because initially he said he could not even remember what day it had been.

But then his boss cleared it up with the video evidence. So if Roadside Nick were involved, that means his boss back at the garage became involved in the consiracy too. what would his motive be to get involved in putting a car with a dead body in a lake%

The FBI is involved.They would have cleaned up Roadside Nicks video evidence and if it had been KR and Jagger, issued a serious, endangered BOLO. Instead, they did what LE always does when someone is involved somehow but found out not guilty, give us nothing.

@RedHaus I like how you tied Nick RA Guy and Boca into that scenario. I tend to believe Nick; Doug from AWP seems very certain that Nick is credible & it sounds like Nick has turned everything over to LE so there has to be something there. He would have her license plate number & surveillance footage and I can’t see him bothering to involve LE if he wasn’t certain it was her car.

I also think AWP is an amazing organization. They have brought many cold cases to a close. How old is this organization? What are their backgrounds? I understand that because the body was located in the back, they felt it was foul play. It is deeply traumatic to locate a body anywhere, let alone a young teen. I just wonder what their expertise is in accident reconstruction and in locating recently deceased/recognizable people in vehicles. Unless she was tied up in the back or in a sleeping bag or something that obviously showed she was restrained in the back, there could also be other explanations as to why she needed up there such as currents, water pouring in, air pockets, etc.

I also think AWP is an amazing organization. They have brought many cold cases to a close. How old is this organization? What are their backgrounds? I understand that because the body was located in the back, they felt it was foul play. It is deeply traumatic to locate a body anywhere, let alone a young teen. I just wonder what their expertise is in accident reconstruction and in locating recently deceased/recognizable people in vehicles. Unless she was tied up in the back or in a sleeping bag or something that obviously showed she was restrained in the back, there could also be other explanations as to why she needed up there such as currents, water pouring in, air pockets, etc.
According to their website.... 22 cases and formally launched 2 yrs ago.

Using sonar equipment, the Bend, Oregon-based group said they have solved 22 cases since formally launching two years ago.

Article and vid at bottom of this page (in middle): Adventures With Purpose - Solving Cold Cases and Environmental Cleanup

Last edited:
Thank you for the visual because I was off for sure. It's very hard to get a strong feel on distance from the road but it does look like a rather significant stretch where she would have had to drive on the beach. It seems her car floated a good distance before sinking which seems odd but what do I know. In my mind if you drove off that beach into water, it seems you'd sink right there in relatively shallow water near the shore. Although she was closeish to the shore, in my mind she would have needed to take a flying leap to get there. Weird. I still think tragic accident but cannot figure out how. Horrific for her family and loved ones to have to live with.
BBM. Cars can "float" a considerable way due to air pockets, momentum, and even velocity. They can be mainly submerged and still moving forward as well before they settle on the bottom.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but there are at least two routes that Kiely could have taken to get home. One is the main paved road that leads to the highway which runs north/south. The other looks like a shortcut of sorts, a dirt road that ultimately gets into a suburban area which leads to the same highway in the direction of her home. (I dropped a pin near the suburban area and google says it takes about four minutes to get there). I was thinking that she knows the area well and has a 4WD vehicle. Maybe she was trying to avoid being on the highways and main road for any significant length of time (or she may have know a route which avoids the highway completely) because she had been drinking, or maybe this is the route she always takes. Anyway, if she did take the back road, then she would go right by the fork in the road that leads directly to the beach where her car was pulled from the water (I believe I have the right location, but correct me if I'm wrong!). Anyway, google maps says it would have taken her about two minutes to get to that fork from Prosser Family Campground. The road, although dirt, doesn't look that bad or treacherous, and if you have a 4WD vehicle no problem. I've included screen shots of the two different routes, and then a closeup of the back route which has the fork leading to the beach. Note: This also presumes that the water level was low enough (as in the map) that she could pass using the back road. Just some thoughts... JMO.

ETA: I was just thinking that in the AWP video, Kiely's father left the beach area on an ATV, presumably going home, and I doubt he took that on the highway. Also, in a DM article, the grandfather said something like 'she knows that road,' she's tough,' 'some people would see that road and not take it.' It made me wonder what road he was talking about because the paved road looks pretty docile.

Paved road to the highway.

View attachment 366943

Dirt road which leads to the highway.
View attachment 366942

Closeup of dirt road which passes the beach.
View attachment 366946
From early on I was thinking since someone local posted here they can drive through those smaller streams on dry season, and from the third map it looks like the dirt road could be going through something like that? Maybe it was familiar road for Kiely and she took it to get to the paved road from campground to the highway.. so she would drive through low water which is ok for SUV. Only that she mistakenly took the earlier intersection and drove straight into deep water.

From early on I was thinking since someone local posted here they can drive through those smaller streams on dry season, and from the third map it looks like the dirt road could be going through something like that? Maybe it was familiar road for Kiely and she took it to get to the paved road from campground to the highway.. so she would drive through low water which is ok for SUV. Only that she mistakenly took the earlier intersection and drove straight into deep water.

The water level was high I believe. And yes, many small streams can be driven through depending on the time of the year. And if she thought she was somewhere else, it is easy to get turned around in the dark, she might have made a mistake. Agree.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I know when I was a teen and was running behind "flexible" curfew, my hope was to get home and get into bed without my mom knowing. I would not have called or texted mom after already getting the ok to be late.

She might have turned off her location if she was running behind as well. Like, don't want mom to see I am still here. Or, if she went into low battery mode, sometimes location sharing stops to conserve battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify: Doug doesn’t think it was foul play only because her body was in the back of her car - He said he thinks there are numerous red flags that lead him to believe it’s foul play, taking the whole night into consideration. He has said that it’s not necessarily odd to find a body in the back of a car.

MOO

(edited typo)

For me, it is what we know of the road/path and how ending up in the water basically requires a perfect storm of errors. It's a super rough, rutted path, with many places sober people driving it at night had difficulty. AWP had difficulty during the day. Yet, there were no signs of a vehicle going off the road, taking out sage brush, clipping a tree, etc.?

We have been told Kiely was in no shape to drive. Totally effed up. Was planning to sleep in her car. Do you think your friend was this level of impaired? I feel either Kiely was not as messed up as we've been led to believe and then, yes, she may have made it down to the water, OR something else went on.

It's the inconsistencies for me. Too many places where I stop and think: "That doesn't make sense." or "Wait. that doesn't quite add up either.'

Nothing is impossible. I just think it is more likely there is more to this, because of the aforementioned inconsistencies, the contradictions and then also factoring in Roadside Nick, and the rest associated.
I wasn't at the party with my friend, so I can't say for sure, but I think he was quite drunk. He completely missed an almost 90 degree turn and drove full speed off the road without even braking. And this was about a half mile from his house on a road he drove multiple times a day. He remembered very little of the drive itself the next day.

We all have our opinions, but I have to say that I don't really see many inconsistencies in a scenario where Kiely left the party soon after talking to SS, made a wrong turn because she was impaired and confused about where she was and then drove into the lake.

The one thing that is clearly inconsistent with that scenario is the AWP/tow truck driver story. But until I hear from LE confirming that, I personally doubt very much that was Kiely's car. It just makes so little sense to me given the other facts LE has confirmed and where her car was eventually found.

BBM. I know when I was a teen and was running behind "flexible" curfew, my hope was to get home and get into bed without my mom knowing. I would not have called or texted mom after already getting the ok to be late.

She might have turned off her location if she was running behind as well. Like, don't want mom to see I am still here. Or, if she went into low battery mode, sometimes location sharing stops to conserve battery.
I agree with this. We're talking teens and drinking so an hour doesn't necessarily mean an hour. I would have lied and said I had to give impaired kids rides home even to explain my lateness if caught. However, I would plan to just sneak through. Coming home at 5:00 a.m. would be a different story.

I don't think she intentionally "climbed" anywhere. The vehicle went into the water and was inverted. She had the wherewithal to unbuckle her belt. With the car upside-down and front engine top heavy, freezing water pouring/rushing in, she most likely was pushed that way towards the air pocket in back. The accident alone is a shock, trying to self-rescue, sober or not, is a huge feat, even for people who are prepared. Plus, with the vehicle oriented upside-down, even if searching for a window, it would have been extremely confusing with water literally pouring into the open windows.

She also could have float back there after death as well.

There are so many stories of people ending up in their vehicles in bodies of water. So many vehicle recovery stories. The anatomy of every vehicle crash is different. The same with sunken boats or other watery deaths. This case is so sad. IMOO there was no foul play involved. This is more something to cling to when it is hard to accept a lovely young teendying in such a horrible way.

Oh, I intended “climbed into the back” meaning before the car entered the water, not afterward when water was entering the vehicle.

I was trying to think of a way the car could have rolled into the water, and one way would be if it were in neutral.

One of many ways it might have gotten into neutral would be if the gear was knocked
Into neutral.

I myself have crawled into the backseat from the front for various reasons and it is awkward, bumping and squeezing to make it work. (In this theory, so she could avoid exiting the car where unknown other people may have been around.)

I feel like many statements made by friends/family while Kiely was missing are somewhat tainted. They were pushing the abduction theory hard. So it makes sense that they might exaggerate and say that there was "no way" she would have been able to drive herself out of there, or she was "so drunk" that she would've gone with anyone.

The US Sun: Kiely Rodni update as sleuth spot crucial clue about her death on memorial service poster....

ETA sorry if already posted...im behind.

Last edited:
I feel like many statements made by friends/family while Kiely was missing are somewhat tainted. They were pushing the abduction theory hard. So it makes sense that they might exaggerate and say that there was "no way" she would have been able to drive herself out of there, or she was "so drunk" that she would've gone with anyone.
Right ITA. From the get go I feared her disappearance was being sensationalised by her friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlowersInBloom