GUILTY CA - Lana Clarkson, 40, fatally shot, Alhambra, 3 Feb 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cutler isn't a California type attorney. The judge has already put him in his place several times. He's too confrontational for this venue.

Well, I'm glad that portion of Spector's money was well spent. :) LOL!

It just bugs me that this case is not being covered too much. Maybe it is in the local L.A. media but not nationwide.

Cutler isn't a California type attorney. The judge has already put him in his place several times. He's too confrontational for this venue.

Cutler may not be standing and speaking, but I'm wondering if he had a hand in the Sara Caplan strategy? It appears to be a good one. I'm hoping the judge blinked but won't budge. I'll really be disappointed if the defense slips out of this one. Just having that White guy testify is pretty useless!

gaia

Here's the latest update from the trial (court hasn't been in session for testimony since Wednesday) and will resume on Monday morning. :)

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...7687693.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

Prosecutors in the Phil Spector murder trial have accused famous forensic scientist Henry C. Lee and two other witnesses of violating a court order by speaking about the case to the news media.

Lee, who was recently found to have withheld crime scene evidence from prosecutors, has sharply criticized them in recent interviews with Chinese-language news organizations.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler in April ordered lawyers to direct witnesses not to speak to the media after a television appearance by Lee days into the trial. The judge threatened "appropriate action" if his order was violated.

The motion filed Thursday asks Fidler to call a hearing to "determine the appropriate remedy for ongoing violations of the court's order."
Along with Lee, the motion faults Zvonko William Pavelic, a defense investigator who was at the crime scene with Lee and others the day after the shooting and spoke about the case on Court TV. The motion said Pavelic "engaged in a personal attack on Patrick Dixon, one of the prosecutors in the case."

The third witness named in the motion is Jody "Babydol" Gibson, who served 22 months in prison for running a prostitution ring. Gibson suggested in a tell-all book that Clarkson had worked for her under the name "Alana." The motion, which was filed by Deputy Dist. Atty. Alan Jackson, states that Gibson was interviewed by Marie Claire magazine and the Geraldo Rivera show, but does not detail what she said.

I'm reading from last to prior, so forgive me. :)

I hope you're right, because I'm sick of celebrities and their money get them a free ride.

Everything, even in court points to a conviction, but we will see.

I find it so interesting that the whackadoodle can sit there so calm during all of this. What did they do to conquer that?

They must of scared the begeezist out of him.

Does anyone know why they shut down the mofia attorney?

I wonder if they will be smart enough to try and make a deal this late in the game?

I love this DA, he's no nonesense and knows his stuff.

Too bad he wasn't on the OJ case. :) Or Blake for that matter

Since I am following this trial very closely, I thought I would jump in here.

Everyone believes that Spector is heavily medicated. He was before the murder and surely he is now and that's what makes it possible for him to sit through this inconvenience, this irritation, this indignity, the trial for his liberty.

Bruce Cutler, Spector's third attorney is the ostensible head of a huge boatload of CDAs. Six or seven of them sit on the right side(although it's the wrong side) of the table. Linda Kenny-Baden (wife of Michael Baden the ME) usually sits next to her client and often has her hand on his shoulder or her arm around him. As nauseating as that sight is, she is by most lights the best lawyer over there. The rest....eh!

But you asked about Cutler. First there was his opening statement. He had prepared to speak using the self-serving words of his client in the first hours after Lana's death. The prosecution had argued for their admissability and the judge allowed them in, only the prosecutor, Alan Jackson who is indeed very sharp, opened without quoting those words. And as a result, Cutler was precluded from mentioning them in his OS. He argued. He blustered. But Judge Fidler stood firm (what a fantastic judge he is ! The anti-Ito!) and Cutler had to improvise. Many felt his OS was not his best work. It was bombastic and dramatic.

Still it was his one and only cross-examination. The second of the "prior bad acts" witnesses, a very sympathetic and credible woman who had been very fond of Spector, had testified to two hair-raising experiences of being menaced by Spector with guns when he was drunk and she wished to depart.

Cutler, famous for his technique v. Mob informers, started to "Brucify" her. He pointed and yelled as he paced the well drawing the ire of the judge. "Excuse me, Mr Cutler!" Thundered Judge Fidler. "First of all, you will not point and yell at a witness in my courtroom EVER!"

Cutler's questions were repeatedly objected to and sustained. Spector must have been seething. It was the last we had heard from him until recently when he argued to the judge for the admission of those statements by Spector. He was told plainly by the judge that if he wanted those statements in he could put his client on the stand.

Deal? Spector isn't going to admit his responsibility for Lana's death. His evil bony hand can be seen in the direction of the defense and it's always coming back to bite them in the butt.

I have never seen a defense team so adept at opening doors for the prosecution to then bring in evidence that had been precluded but for their questioning. When they are not boring the jury by eliciting the direct evidence AGAIN on cross, they are nitpicking, they are patronizing and smarmy.

Never have I ever heard of a jury sending word to the judge that they were tired of the excruciating cross of the ME. Given that heads up by the judge, the attorney ignored that plea and pressed onward with the tedium.

Meanwhile tomorrow if Sara Caplan, formerly in Shapiro's firm, refuses to testify again (this time before the jury), she is going to be held in contempt by the judge and her sworn testimony will be read to the jury.

And Dr Henry Lee's "pristine" reputation has finally crashed and burned!

This is the most amazing trial!

And I agree about BOTH prosecutors. There are two: Patrick Dixon and Alan Jackson, an excellent team. They are putting in a terrific case!

And although most think it would seal his conviction, Spector may well insist on testifying. He is a well-known control freak who flapped his gums between the murder and the trial. He may overrule his mouthpieces and insist. We are certainly hoping so.

You could sell tickets to that. AJ's gonna filet him like a flounder!

Lisa, your post is so "right on"! I agree totally with everything you wrote.

There is, however, a little sneaky part of my brain telling me SURELY this defense isn't as AWFUL as they seem and they will put on a good case that will have all of us gasping! I hope they do because I'd hate to think PS spent all that money and got nothing for it plus I believe the justice system OUGHT to work! OTOH, I believe PS is responsible for LC's death. I don't think he necessarily killed her maliciously. I don't know. No one does or ever will. I'm not even sure the prosecution will be able to prove their case BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT, but I sure hope so. Deal is, ole Phil needs to be taken off the streets. That's my take on this whole deal.

Oh, and I sure hope Sara Caplan can't slither out of her commitment. She let the cat out of the bag and now she's trying to put it back in using client/attorney priviledge - even though that's a bunch of hooey in this case. This gal just needs to be made to do the right thing. I also think Shapiro got out of doing the right thing too. Not good at all.

gaia

Lisa - That was a fabulous post! You are a very talented writer. Do you have some professional background along those lines? If not, you should certainly find a way to market it. I've been watching the trial most everyday, even though I find it so boring it's hard to stay tuned. This case should have been wrapped up in two weeks max and not allowed to drag on like this. I'm sure the defense has lost the jury by now. You are absolutely right about the prosecutors. They are brilliant and well spoken. I, too, love this Judge. It is refreshing to find one who does not take such a liberal stance. Perhaps this trial will conclude in my lifetime and we can all look forward to the next. Oops, I forgot, CourtTV, will no longer be in the courtroom. I wonder if they're prepared for the loud noise of viewers dropping them.

Good morning everyone. I cannot remember looking
forward to testimony in a trial as I am today. Lisa, what a great
summation of some of the events we've seen so far. I would
add the examination of henry lee by Alan Jackson, during the
special hearing, outside the jury's presence as one of the
best. He was stern with lee but always respectful. Lee on the
other hand totally lost it, imo and was very combative. If
he should testify in this trial that will be a day to watch.

Can't wait to hear what decision Judge Fidler has made
about whether Caplan has to refuse to testify in front
of the jury or not, in order for him to cite her with
contempt.

Good morning!
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm just getting warmed up. And to answer sniffy's flattering question, yes, in the past I was a copywriter of mag ads, tv and radio commercials. I have a few unsold screenplays moldering in a drawer as well. Do you know any producers? ;)

On to today!! Hey, there Bee Charmer!! Good to see you in the land of the living!!

I know that there has been much discussion over what will happen today. Will my love Judge Bruce Will--- excuse me, Fidler hold Sara Caplan in contempt if she goes through with her threatened refusal to testify?

I have watched that sequence: Nasatir's plea, the Judge's response and Caplan's tearful whining and then the judge's statement a couple of times. To me there is no ambiguity. My understanding of what Judge Fidler said was that HE WILL hold her in contempt. That is not what he wanted to research. The only question was: do that in front of the jury or not.

The judge's decision is well-grounded in law, according to all previous statements, so to do a 180 at this point is not possible, imo.

To the poster who said this trial is boring--- I disagree! Oh, yes, some (actually most) of the cross examinations have been excruciating! True!! But the trial has been fascinating!

I love this judge. I love the prosecutors. They are focused and smart and they clearly had and have a strategy. The defense is a bunch of clowns, imo.

I have never seen a trial with an evidenciary hearing like the one we saw here. I have never seen a trial with so many door-openings by the defense. I have never seen anything like it.

Yes, it's slow. But on the other hand, those long weekends enable me to live a normal life, not one tailored to sessions.

And that's why I am thinking that Phil may shock us yet and crawl up to the stand and testify. If he isn't struck dead by lightning when he swears an oath to tell the truth, we are in for a very entertaining time. That and Dr Henry Lee's return should be worth it.

I agree with Bee Charmer that Alan Jackson's cross of Lee was masterful! AJ was never less than respectful but persistent and smart in pinning down the great criminalist and eliciting shocking comments--- like he "forgot" to document the photo of the so-called "gouge" in the stair (which the pros. says is the missing evidence, the acrylic chip and Lee says is a flaw in the wood:liar: . ) And Lee became combative and testy in cross. He blustered and to my eyes was lying through his clenched teeth. We also learned that Lee has two standards of care and that he's in fact quite sloppy. IMO, he's finished as a professional expert, or as I like to call him, Liar for Hire.

Looking forward to talking about his trial here. Should be interesting!!

The guiding principals I have always used about guns:

1) Do not draw your gun unless you intend to use it.

2) Do not point your gun at anything you are unwilling to destroy - and accept the consequences.

Based on the second point above, pointing the gun at her is intent to kill her in my book - and every instructor I have ever had. And in the law as well, I'm pretty sure.

Guns are not toys. My children do not play with gun toys, but are welcome to come to the range with me and shoot real ones. I have ZERO respect for Spector, and he deserves to be put away for pointing guns at people regardless of the current case against him.
great post -

Good morning all. I had to follow Lisafremont over here. Most of you would know me at ctv as blondekj (if you're old enough)...otherwise you would know me as KaraokeDiva/JudyBee/Kara.

Yes, I'm a trouble maker and get banned a lot. I'm not really a trouble maker...I just must pizz a lot of people off and get reported. :)

Good morning all. I can't wait for todays testimony. I'm even more excited about the hearing re Sara Caplan. I sure hope it's not in chambers.

Good morning all. I had to follow Lisafremont over here. Most of you would know me at ctv as blondekj (if you're old enough)...otherwise you would know me as KaraokeDiva/JudyBee/Kara.

Yes, I'm a trouble maker and get banned a lot. I'm not really a trouble maker...I just must pizz a lot of people off and get reported. :)

Hi Blondie! I followed Lisa over here too. I used to be Iknowhatudid over here but I couldn't log on a few years ago and just re registered. I was mad at CTV when I came up with PostalPix.lol

Yes, this is true. You ain't nothing but a big ole
troublemaker....not angels like me and Pix. ;)

Hey Pix, check your mail box please.
:dance:

Yeah Scampi, you and Iknow are angels. lol

I hope the discussion flows here today. I think it stinks (the moderationi at ctv) but I do like the high traffic flow of the place.

I hope the discussion flows here today. I think it stinks (the moderationi at ctv) but I do like the high traffic flow of the place.

I like the flow of info too bjk. I stay mad at that place but I can't seem to stay away. WS really is run much better. They play fair and don't try to control peoples posts.

I think my halo is a little bent BC. Checking now!

Yes, now that I really look at it, it does appear
to have a dent or twenty. I keep mine on straight, with the
use of these little horns that protrude out of my head.
:angel:

Well, that would be up to us, I think we can keep
this place hopping.....
:blowkiss:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members