GUILTY CA - Lauren Key, 4, thrown off cliff, Rancho Palos Verdes, 8 Nov 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based on what little news surfaced on this case, and without benefit of transcripts, I think 2nd degree is an appropriate compromise, and so did the majority of the jurors.

I think the prosecution proved that she had to have been chucked off that cliff, and not accidentally slipped based on the lack of scrapes and bruises to her body. But the biggest problem was that no one saw him do it.

Most damning evidence is the 5 min. telephone call to 911, the joking with the nudies, and his nonchallent (sp?) attitude in not rushing to retrieve her body to see if she was still alive.

I think a plea bargain would be in order, but I don't see Geragos agreeing to it.

So, if I read correctly, the whole jury, all 12 believe he's quilty, they just can't agree on what level?

I don't think Gagme can consider this a win, not with that break down, but he'll spin it.

Bottom line, he KILLED her, poor little thing. The terror she must of gone through.

ClassZ, that is correct! :(

Aha, the Breeze reported!

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/3570427.html?showAll=y&c=y

excerpt:

Eight favored convicting Brown on second-degree murder, while the other two were convinced Brown had committed manslaughter.

To win a first-degree murder conviction, prosecutors had to convince jurors that Brown had thought about committing murder beforehand.

A second-degree murder conviction rested on the legal theory of implied malice, which means Brown should have known the danger to his daughter's life by hiking atop 120-foot-high Inspiration Point, but consciously disregarded that risk. THAT'S WHAT HE DID!For a manslaughter conviction, jurors merely had to be convinced that Brown's actions were criminally negligent.

Jurors, some of whom were crying, refused to talk to reporters. Several, however, met with Deputy District Attorney Craig Hum after the mistrial was declared.

"There were two jurors on the jury who couldn't accept the fact a father could do this to his 4-year-old daughter," Hum said. "The 10 jurors who voted for murder were clearly convinced by the evidence."

Hum said the jurors he spoke with offered some "useful comments," but said none indicated there were fundamental flaws in the prosecution's case.

Arnold set an Oct. 11 date for a second trial.

Hum said he intends to again seek a first-degree murder conviction with two special circumstances in the second trial.

But Geragos, whose previous clients have included pop singer Michael Jackson and convicted wife-killer Scott Peterson, said he is "hopeful they won't even retry it" and will try to have his client released from custody.

"He's relieved there was no conviction and we're hopeful we can prevail and bring him home," Geragos said, adding he plans to return for a second trial if there is one. "I've never dropped a client on a mistrial and I'm not going to start now. ... The case does not get any better for the prosecution."

The case against Brown was built almost entirely on circumstantial evidence.

Each side presented dueling expert witnesses who, predictably enough, reached differing conclusions that supported each party's version of events.

Jurors reviewed the testimony of both experts during deliberations, but twice indicated -- on Thursday and Friday -- to the judge that they were deadlocked.

another excerpt:

Hum said he spoke briefly Monday afternoon to Lauren's mother, Sarah Key-Marer, who had attended portions of the emotional trial.

"Obviously she's very disappointed that the jury wasn't able to reach a verdict and she was hoping to bring this chapter to a close," Hum said.

"It's disappointing when a jury can't reach a verdict in any case and this case in particular was tough because of the heartbreak Sarah had to go through and the length of time it took for the jurors to sit on the case."

~~~~Geragos presented his client merely lacked parenting skills--BullCrap! I could've easliy voted 2nd Degree Murder!

My heart aches for Sarah. More than that, I grieve for Lauren and I think of a darling little girl who was so innocent and deserved to have a wonderful life.

Geragross quote:
The case against Brown was built almost entirely on circumstantial evidence.
You stupid idiot, this is what convicted your previous client, who NOW sits on Death Row in California. What a joke

We'll see if he stays on the case. He never drops a client in a mistrial. Huh! He couldn't show up for the verdict in the Pukerson case, give me a break.

I think the Prosecution will make a mistake if they push even harder next time, although, maybe this is the ploy to get the second degree plea deal. :)

Thanks for all the info LaMer. :) (grin)

This guy needs to do time, that poor little innocent child, she needs justice. Even if the best they can do is manlaughter.... Something, anything at this point and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have the maggot loose another one either... He needs to quit defending these baby killers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm sure he does, mainly because he has no idea what an actual win looks like.
Right! :loser:

I Googled for updates on this case and couldn't find any. Has anyone seen/heard anything?

IdahoMom said:
I Googled for updates on this case and couldn't find any. Has anyone seen/heard anything?

Good question Idaho. I thought the trial was going to start in Jan. I haven't heard a thing.

I went to www.freecambrown.org and read some of the comments from the comment section. One post said something about 2/27 court date.

You should go to this site and read the letters posted that he has sent to his wife from jail. They are nothing but complaints about how he is mistreated. There is no chitchat or concern for her unless of course she has chosen not to post those pages.

He is such a loser. I can well imagine if he is a whiny, obnoxious complainer that they do start to sabotage him. He should have known just to lay low. What an idiot. I hope that he gets used to that treatment because, if justice is served, he will spend the rest of his life there.

I searched for news updates on this case and couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard anything recently?

Does anyone remember this or what the outcome was? I believe the trial of Cameron Brown was in 2005 or 2006 and ended in a hung jury. Was he ever retried? Is he going to be retried? Did he accept a plea? I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing.

http://www.spock.com/Lauren-Key

found this:

Second Trial Moving Ahead

The second trial of Cameron Brown has been moved to the Downtown Courthouse and will be heard by Judge Michael E. Pastor. It is scheduled to begin in June, 2008. This change is due to Judge Arnold's caseload and the fact that Cam has declined to waive his right to a speedy trial any further.

http://www.cameronbrowncase.blogspot.com/

I can't open the links from work. His name sounds familiar to me. Is he the one that pushed his small daughter off of a cliff to avoid paying child support? :furious:

Hi Pepper! Yes of course I remember this. Hung Jury & I suppose Geragos was happy about that! Grrr.
Iirc - we had a heck of a time finding anything about this on the first trial. I remember I was listening to John and Ken a lot.

I wonder if Geragos will be representing him again. Probably not hey? Good to see the trial is coming up again soon. I sure hope they nail him this time.

I can't open the links from work. His name sounds familiar to me. Is he the one that pushed his small daughter off of a cliff to avoid paying child support? :furious:

Yes... one and the same...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back