GUILTY CA - Lauren Key, 4, thrown off cliff, Rancho Palos Verdes, 8 Nov 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you kindly for bringing this trial back to mind. I followed the first trial closely and was so disappointed when it ended in a mistrial. I do hope he is convicted this time.

Isn't his lawyer for this trial, Pat Harris, the same one who cocounsel at S Peterson's trial? :waitasec:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_12927034

Nearly nine years after Lauren Sarene Key fell to her death, her mother took the witness stand in a

downtown Los Angeles courtroom to explain how difficult Brown was - before and after Lauren was born

20090727_101117_cameronbrown2_300.jpg

Cameron Brown

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25848491-912,00.html

A FATHER threw his four-year-old daughter off a 36m cliff to avoid paying $1000 monthly child support, a court has heard.

The claim was made at the murder trial of former baggage handler Cameron Brown, 47, who has pleaded not guilty over the death of Lauren Sarene Key.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25848491-5012748,00.html

Mr Harris gave a different account of his client's relationship with his daughter, insisting the case was nothing more than "character assassination".

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_12812661

For Brown, the biggest change will be that he is no longer represented by high-profile attorney Mark Geragos.

With funds tapped from Brown's family, Geragos bowed out. However, an associate who tried the first case along with him, Pat Harris, was appointed by Torrance Superior Court Judge Mark Arnold to handle the case on the county's dime.

48327741.jpg

Lauren Sarene Key

Ohhhh, absolutely heartbreaking. I can't imagine being her mother and suffering with all that guilt for making Lauren go that day. Hopefully the jury will come to a unanimous verdict on guilt this time to ease the mother's pain a little.

Thanks Texas for bringing this case back.

This is an odd case and based on the article, it's hard to know if the father truly hurled the child off a cliff. That said, I question any parenting decision that involves taking a toddler onto a cliff - the very thought of that turns my hair white.

I agree with you BB that child support seems high for an airport baggage handler. Here in GA, child support is determined by number of children and income of parties and it would be in the $1,000/month range for one child if the Dad made $1,000/week and the Mom made about the same - is that what baggage handlers make?

High or not, there's no excuse for what happened. The title for this thread could exchange "dad" for "" and I'd be happier.

I really dont know what to say anymore. I have so many thoughts and worries about what is ahead for our society. If this is what is happening now I cant even imagine how bad it is gonna get. All I can think about is how this poor child was jerked out of her normal life to a father she didnt know just to have him throw her off a cliff. What a horrible way to die. I am so broken hearted for her, especially since I have a four year old daughter.

What a beautiful, little girl.

Attachments

• Lauren Sarene Key-Marer.jpg
    Lauren Sarene Key-Marer.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 20
The worst part (like anything is worse)for me is the Mother saying the daughter was secretive about the visits & cried about going.She apparently was particularly upset about the planned visit for that day.It bothered Mom so much that she left work early to pick up the daughter before the was supposed to but didnt get to the school in time.That poor woman!God bless her!
This story defies belief but sadly its likely true as similar horrific things have happened?
Remember the who injected his toddler son with AIDS to get out of paying support?(That child,although HIV positive,is alive & is an amazing kid)

Oh dear Lord. SO I have the best punishment for this man. Hurl him off the same cliff!!

My heart breaks for her Mom, it seems she had some intuitive feelings but arrived at the school to late. What happened with the first trial? Anyone have details?

$1,000 a month?? My dad is a federal magistrate and my mom was not working when they divorced and his child support was less than that when they divorced. An airport bag handler is not making enough money to support himself and pay child support - does it cost $1000 a month to support a toddler?

Obviously, this is no excuse for what he did but perhaps the courts could be a little bit more reasonable as far as financial expectations in order to prevent someone from feeling so trapped they do something completely irrational and wrong.

$1,000 a month?? My dad is a federal magistrate and my mom was not working when they divorced and his child support was less than that when they divorced. An airport bag handler is not making enough money to support himself and pay child support - does it cost $1000 a month to support a toddler?

Obviously, this is no excuse for what he did but perhaps the courts could be a little bit more reasonable as far as financial expectations in order to prevent someone from feeling so trapped they do something completely irrational and wrong.
Does CA use a 'State Calculator'for support?They do in Florida .They calculate the fathers income,who pays medical expenses/daycare etc & get a number .
I get more than that a month but FOR FOUR CHILDREN & the Ex makes ALOT more than a baggage handler so yes something was to me "off" too!
I wonder though if the amount is that much because he owed so much in back support OR is there some time of inheritance/family money etc?Doubtful I know but it seems excessive for one child!

I think the high child support owed, and the arrearage were not the only deciding factors in this crime.

In fact I think it might be secondary. Why does a Father murder his children? To exert power or control or to punish and/or cause pain to the Mother of the children in most cases IIRC.

This happened in 2000 and he has had one trial that ended in a mistrial but from what I've been able to read it wasn't a deadlock about guilt or innocence but rather on the severity of the crime (murder 1st or 2nd vs. manslaughter). I hope someone follows up with the results of this crime.

The trial is still ongoing, but nobody seems to be giving updates. sigh I wish some local reporter would notice this case and start covering the daily happenings inside the courtroom.

Does anyone remember that at the time of Brown's first trial that there was a huge argument going on at the big, mean board about the authenticity of Lauren's mother posting there and other posters vehemently repeating how innocent Cameron B. was?

It was a huge and long poster war. I don't mean to ressurect it here, but I still wonder if the knowing public is divided on guilt or innocence. I just don't see how he could be found non guilty. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway
Back