GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of Leila's family today. No one should ever have to bury their own child. Heartbreaking.

How cleaned up was the scene? LE has said they found DNA and fingerprints. So evidence was left. Whatever else they may have found we don't know.

Yes, but I'd suppose from the reported viciousness of the attack that the attacker would have gotten quite a bit of blood on his clothing. Yet no bloody clothing was recovered at the scene that would have quickly netted an arrest. That and the careful disposition of the murder weapon (to me) seems to indicate a more sophisticated methodology in cleanup. (A child perp would likely have 'hidden' incriminating evidence a lot more hastily and sloppily, maybe simply rinsed the knife in the kitchen sink if it came from the kitchen, etc.)

I just can't see LE getting as excited as they seemed yesterday if the DNA test result supplied evidence that a child had committed this horrendous murder. LE have families and kids of their own, and from my knowledge of them, they don't get excited when they determine a child committed a grievous crime.

I can though see them getting excited if they get a DNA test result that indicated a child did not commit a grievous crime. They'd be relieved for the child and the child's family, particularly if that family had just lost another child to the same horrible crime.

Just my :cow:.

I just can't see LE getting as excited as they seemed yesterday if the DNA test result supplied evidence that a child had committed this horrendous murder. LE have families and kids of their own, and from my knowledge of them, they don't get excited when they determine a child committed a grievous crime.

I can though see them getting excited if they get a DNA test result that indicated a child did not commit a grievous crime. They'd be relieved for the child and the child's family, particularly if that family had just lost another child to the same horrible crime.

Just my :cow:.

The second to last paragraph from this 05/07/13 news article.
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_76cb7ea4-b72c-11e2-a4a6-001a4bcf887a.html

"Kuntz said the process of narrowing in on potential suspects might be a lengthy process."

Presumably the quote is recent. A "major" news item, it seems, would have to be the elimination of someone as a potential suspect. As far as identifying a suspect......

The second to last paragraph from this 05/07/13 news article.
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_76cb7ea4-b72c-11e2-a4a6-001a4bcf887a.html

"Kuntz said the process of narrowing in on potential suspects might be a lengthy process."

Presumably the quote is recent. A "major" news item, it seems, would have to be the elimination of someone as a potential suspect. As far as identifying a suspect......

I was talking about what LE does internally, rather than what they release to the news or the public.

This family has asked for privacy. Please don't post pictures of them.

Rest in Peace beautiful Girl. May your family have comfort and soon justice !

I was talking about what LE does internally, rather than what they release to the news or the public.

I understood and I agree.

The public is being told not to expect a PR that identifies a suspect. Narrowing of the pool may bring about a great sense of relief. On the other hand, the remaining possibilities may increase tension.

Rest in peace sweet Leila​
:rose::rose: :rose:

wwAngelChild.jpeg

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Authorities-step-up-evidence-search

(Hewitt) - "He said the Sheriff’s Office is still working on a sketch of the killer. The sketch has been delayed due to inconsistencies in descriptions provided by witnesses, one of whom became uncooperative.

A neighbor early on reported seeing a person roughly matching the description provided by Leila’s 12-year-old brother. She told investigators she saw the man fleeing the neighborhood around the time of the murder, but recanted her story late last week.

Hewitt said Monday it was still unknown why the woman recanted her statements, but said she didn’t express fear for her life."

Sorry--didn't know they'd asked for privacy! (They've had their photos all over media.)

Because ABC or NBC or whoever plasters their faces all over the place doesn't mean they haven't requested privacy -- or that posters on this forum shouldn't respect it.

It's impossible to know everything reported in every article everywhere -- and if you've missed any family request for privacy it's understandable. I would just offer this piece of advice to EVERYONE for EVERYCASE:

Assume that EVERY family wants their privacy respected. You shouldn't need to be told/reminded. Unless you personally (yes, I'm pointing at you, generic reader!) are welcomed by a family member of any victim, assume they want to be left alone to mourn/recover with those closest to them.

Trust me. You would be doing them a kindness.

Because ABC or NBC or whoever plasters their faces all over the place doesn't mean they haven't requested privacy -- or that posters on this forum shouldn't respect it.

It's impossible to know everything reported in every article everywhere -- and if you've missed any family request for privacy it's understandable. I would just offer this peace of advice to EVERYONE for EVERYCASE:

Assume that EVERY family wants their privacy respected. You shouldn't need to be told/reminded. Unless you personally (yes, I'm pointing at you, generic reader!) are welcomed by a family member of any victim, assume they want to be left alone to mourn/recover with those closest to them.

Trust me. You would be doing them a kindness.

Of course it doesn't. I was just explaining why I hadn't assumed they'd specifically asked for privacy.

I've been on the Boston Marathon thread, and there are photos of victims all throughout those 11 thread pages, though it'd be my guess that they would be even more adverse to photo-sharing; not a community 'event' they volunteered to participate in, for sure. Just hard to always know what's acceptable here, sometimes.

ETA: Realized you may have missed the photo deleted--it was a beautiful one of the family hugging each other at a very public memorial service. While I can't assume, it never occurred to me to think they'd be offended at its posting.

Of course it doesn't. I was just explaining why I hadn't assumed they'd specifically asked for privacy.

I understood that. Which is why I (a) emphasized that because you see pics on the news doesn't mean a family doesn't want privacy, (b) that I understood how you wouldn't have known they requested it and (c) I suggested you (and everyone else in the world) assume EVERY family wants their privacy unless directly invited by the family to avoid the possibility of adding to a families misery/stress.

Again, I tell you that it would be a kindness to do so.

Hi PIM, Welcome to this thread, haven't seen you on this one much so you are probably not up to speed on some of the specifics. Here's the nutshell of events regarding teh photo thing ;)

Regarding the family, they released some limited photos of Leila when this first happened and then were a bit upset that MSM had somehow gotten hold of many many more photos of Leila and they were being plastered all over the national news. This upset the family, who were literally still absorbing this loss and what has happened.

Unfortunately I suspect they have also been reading the topix and comments beneath articles which are saying, well, you can imagine, negative things about the family or implying things about Leila's murder.

I know in lots of cases we post pics of the victim onthread, but in THIS case, out of respect for the family we are trying to avoid posting any so we can be certain we are not posting unauthorized ones.

NO WAY you could know that if you didn't catch that part of the thread when it came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member