CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like shooting #5 could have occurred on Saturday 7/22 or Sunday 7/23/17 as the Call to the Wall was a 2 day event.
The Local Malibu Facebook post (6/25/18) makes it sound like it may have been Sunday. Also, from the Facebook post it's not clear if the car was found shot up at 5:30-6:00 AM, or the shooting happened at that time. I'm assuming maybe it's the time the car was found & the shooting occurred earlier (?).

Call To the Wall 2017

2017 25TH ANNUAL MALIBU BOARDRIDRIDERS CLUB CALL TO THE WALL
I'd go with that.

FYI, the CA Parks Department offers seasonal employment (just in case the shooter might be an employee):
Seasonal & Part Time
I would think a maintenance aide might have a fair amount of work to do in a campground:
Maintenance Aide (Seasonal) (0987) - CalHR
CalCareers
And might get really annoyed if people appear (his perception) to be dropping trash, messing up the bathroom he just cleaned, etc. ??
He might not like the "rich people's" park because people don't respect him ?? He might be nice and quiet up front, not drawing any attention to himself. But then comes back later ??

Some of the job openings state that live scan fingerprinting is required, so I don't know if our guy could pass that....
On the other hand, it would mean his fingerprints are in the system.
Just a thought...

He might not like the "rich people's" park because people don't respect him ??

Disgruntled former/current employee is always good thinking in terms of who would hold a grudge.

However, MCSP doesn't come across as a 'rich people's park'. If you go out there on any weekend, you'll find a very diverse mix of people, very much representative of LA/SoCal as a whole. It's not at all a snobby place, unlike the Very Rich People's private beach areas about five miles away. The park area and Las Virgenes Road near the park are very much the Santa Monica Mountains and mostly undeveloped. It's more like being out in the country (which is not really a SoCal term) than going to an upscale place.

Disgruntled former/current employee is always good thinking in terms of who would hold a grudge.

However, MCSP doesn't come across as a 'rich people's park'. If you go out there on any weekend, you'll find a very diverse mix of people, very much representative of LA/SoCal as a whole. It's not at all a snobby place, unlike the Very Rich People's private beach areas about five miles away. The park area and Las Virgenes Road near the park are very much the Santa Monica Mountains and mostly undeveloped. It's more like being out in the country (which is not really a SoCal term) than going to an upscale place.
Yeah, I guess I was just trying to tie in the BMW and Tesla shootings somehow.......that the shooter's perspective might be that people think they are better than him, and/or have disrespected him......and he might tend to make generalizations based on perspective rather than fact.
When I see a Tesla on the road, and I see quite a few in Orange County, I see more of a symbol or expensive novelty than a car. Granted I'm not into cars and maybe my perspective would change if I were.
MCSP doesn't have to really be a "rich people's park" for someone to perceive it that way. Especially when that person is not a rational thinker.

Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 @ 3:00 a.m. - The shooting of the wildlife biologist James Rogers in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the head. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...d-shootings-calabasas-park-father-killed/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...k-shooting-20180627-story.html?outputType=amp
STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ?? Possibly spare wheel of RV hit by bird shot. Campground closed as investigation continues
STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - @ 5:00 a.m. Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired from 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was an inch higher. No one injured.
Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online
STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where.
SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 @ 5:30-6:00 a.m. Shooting of white, SUV type vehicle hit with shotgun pellets, on the right, rear passenger side, gas tank door hit and side back window. Location? No one injured.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/fb_img_1530371423396-jpg.137201/
The Local Malibu
SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ??
STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 at 4:20 a.m. Shots fired at a Tesla? at intersection of Las Virgenes and Mulholland Highway. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/crimemapping-jpg.137206/
Bullet hit car. No one injured.
There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?
SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent.
STATE PARK JURIS.
9. 6-25-18? Possibly man's car hit with a gunshot "in the area" of the TB shooting:
Second shooting at California state park where dad was killed while camping with daughters
Another article citing the one above, inexplicably gives more info not in the article:
"According to CBS News, a man reported finding gunshots on his parked vehicle at Malibu Creek State Park on Monday. There were no injuries reported."
Second shooting at Malibu campground where father found murdered in front of two young daughters
STATE PARK JURIS?

I have some updates for your list, Gitana. :)

So I downloaded the crime data points for the Lost Hills Sheriff station in order to take a look at their reporting and compare it to what we have and was happy to see that they also show historical data points past the 30 day mark (which is the case with crimemapping.com and was a limitation). (Sourcehttp://shq.lasdnews.net/CrimeStats/CAASS/desc.html)

1) Here is what I found. There is no incident reported on the 25th of June, so I am pretty convinced this was a reporting error/misunderstanding and what they really meant was the Monday before TB's death.
upload_2018-7-6_21-28-36.png

2) The incident reported on the 6th of June 2017 really happened on the 8th of June 2017 according to the data points from the Sheriffs homepage. An Assault/Gun was reported on Los Virgenes/Waycross Drive which when typed into Googlemaps shows up right by the entrace to the park. (See thumbnail) There is no incident reported according to the data points on the 6th of June 2017
upload_2018-7-6_21-12-2.png
upload_2018-7-6_21-29-41.png

I only showed Assault - Gun and they all were marked as non gang related.

The 8th of June 2017 btw changes the moon phase for this date to 97.86% full (Source Moonpage.com) which is almost a full moon which should have lots of visibility)
Note how both of the shooting incidents off of Las Virgenes on the 22nd of July 2017 and the 8th of June 2017 are reported at exactly 4:30. Kind of a big deal, right? My personal opinion is that TB's shooting could have very well been at 4:30 considering that it will take people a while to figure out what happened and to call 911.

3) The shooting of the white car on its way to the surf contest is reported on the 22nd of July with an address of 1700 Las Virgenes and here is where that shows up on the map

upload_2018-7-6_21-32-59.png
So that's closer to the Hindu Temple if they really drove that side road, which I almost cannot image? Maybe the driver just mentioned approximately where he was and this is where they mapped it to, or they were definitely on this side road. That kind of matters but I guess there is no way of knowing other than hearing from the driver of that white car.

The timeframe between 4:20 and 4:30 seems to be significant. Maybe on the way to work...

Last edited:
I find this article very relevant. Here is a man who thumbs his nose at rangers and by his actions scoffs at backcountry norms for recreationists. I don’t believe a word of his stories, and he has had a very explicit ranger warning about his behavior.

Ridiculous survival stories on TV with absurd and destructive solutions encourage this sort of acting out in the backcountry, but this case reeks a red flag, IMO. Date apropos.

I didn’t see any follow up thoughts on this article. Does it give anyone else ideas about the kind of scenario that might lead to outlaw behavior in the park?

Here’s the article:

Man Who Survived Four Days Lost in Malibu Creek State Park Reprimanded

I have some updates for your list, Gitana. :)

So I downloaded the crime data points for the Lost Hills Sheriff station in order to take a look at their reporting and compare it to what we have and was happy to see that they also show historical data points past the 30 day mark (which is the case with crimemapping.com and was a limitation). (Sourcehttp://shq.lasdnews.net/CrimeStats/CAASS/desc.html)

1) Here is what I found. There is no incident reported on the 25th of June, so I am pretty convinced this was a reporting error/misunderstanding and what they really meant was the Monday before TB's death.
View attachment 137880

2) The incident reported on the 6th of June 2017 really happened on the 8th of June 2017 according to the data points from the Sheriffs homepage. An Assault/Gun was reported on Los Virgenes/Waycross Drive which when typed into Googlemaps shows up right by the entrace to the park. (See thumbnail) There is no incident reported according to the data points on the 6th of June 2017
View attachment 137878
View attachment 137881

I only showed Assault - Gun and they all were marked as non gang related.

The 8th of June 2017 btw changes the moon phase for this date to 97.86% full (Source Moonpage.com) which is almost a full moon which should have lots of visibility)
Note how both of the shooting incidents off of Las Virgenes on the 22nd of July 2017 and the 8th of June 2017 are reported at exactly 4:30. Kind of a big deal, right? My personal opinion is that TB's shooting could have very well been at 4:30 considering that it will take people a while to figure out what happened and to call 911.

3) The shooting of the white car on its way to the surf contest is reported on the 22nd of July with an address of 1700 Las Virgenes and here is where that shows up on the map

View attachment 137884
So that's closer to the Hindu Temple if they really drove that side road, which I almost cannot image? Maybe the driver just mentioned approximately where he was and this is where they mapped it to, or they were definitely on this side road. That kind of matters but I guess there is no way of knowing other than hearing from the driver of that white car.

The timeframe between 4:20 and 4:30 seems to be significant. Maybe on the way to work...

The driver of “that white car” you mention - do you mean the Tesla? Yes, they indicated that they were driving to work. Let me see if I can find that quote again to narrow it down.

Also can we go a bit further and differentiate the ammo that we know of? We know the Call to the Wall BMW of 7/22/2017 was hit with birdshot due to the photo. The 11/3/16 biologist was hit with birdshot, etc....this may help us as well.

The driver of “that white car” you mention - do you mean the Tesla? Yes, they indicated that they were driving to work. Let me see if I can find that quote again to narrow it down.

Also can we go a bit further and differentiate the ammo that we know of? We know the Call to the Wall BMW of 7/22/2017 was hit with birdshot due to the photo. The 11/3/16 biologist was hit with birdshot, etc....this may help us as well.
I was referring to the white BMW. I agree that we should add the ammo info we have. My guess is that LE doesnt say they are connected because the ammo in TB's case was different. Obviously it didnt seem to be a birdshot. Even if ammo is different the cases can still be connected.

I was referring to the white BMW. I agree that we should add the ammo info we have. My guess is that LE doesnt say they are connected because the ammo in TB's case was different. Obviously it didnt seem to be a birdshot. Even if ammo is different the cases can still be connected.

Here is the info for the white BMW that they posted to The Local Malibu:

It is the car from the Call to the Wall on 7/22/2017

Attachments

• 33B7C24D-7F92-4124-A422-8323ACBCD180.png
    33B7C24D-7F92-4124-A422-8323ACBCD180.png
    357.3 KB · Views: 9
Here is ABC7 interview with Sheriff Jim McDonnell. He first talks about the horrific death of 10 year old Anthony Avalos and then talks about TB. He talks as if the shooting with biologist, James Roger - 11/3/2016 (I believe) & TB are related.

I thought someone had said it was quite cloudy the night of TB’s shooting. Any one have access to weather reports to see if cloud cover coincides with the night of the shooting when it should be otherwise dark out due to lack of moonlight.

I ask because I live 25 miles from downtown Houston in a very rural area, no streetlights, just lights from the houses. When it’s heavy overcast the city lights reflect off the clouds and can make it quite bright despite the lack of moonlight. We do barn chores every night and I walk about 50 yards from the house to the barn in the dark. I’ve also had to chase cows through the treed area in the dark, with heavy tree cover and still can get decent light in the trees if it’s heavy overcast or a full moon. My eyes adjust pretty quickly to the low light situation especially when looking for escaped cows. Searching for a common thread so it may be nothing but I have to imagine the lights from LA can have the same effect.

I posted previously that the night TB was shot it was cloudy. I looked it up.

People I've mentioned it's super dark in the area at night. It's in the hills so the city probably isn't visible.

It feels like no rhyme or reason to the timing, maybe?

I'm pretty amazed at all the work everyone is doing to find a common thread. Certain days or lighting.

Here is ABC7 interview with Sheriff Jim McDonnell. He first talks about the horrific death of 10 year old Anthony Avalos and then talks about TB. He talks as if the shooting with biologist, James Roger - 11/3/2016 (I believe) & TB are related.

Interesting. First of all, from the interview we hear that the state park LE and the LA sheriff (not just the substation) are investigating. I don't know why I thought it was mostly the substation there. The LA sheriff as a whole is a big agency. So that makes me feel better.

Second, did anyone know the wildlife biologist waited a month to report? That's odd and not smart. No wonder no one took him seriously. So much potential evidence gone too. What can they do a month later?

Finally, it does indeed look like they are connecting the shootings. Interesting. At least this sheriff is.

I keep thinking about that weird guy that one of our amazing posters found who had been wandering around the back hills, getting injured and being rescued.

Such an amazing find. I bet he's being looked at hard.

I didn’t see any follow up thoughts on this article. Does it give anyone else ideas about the kind of scenario that might lead to outlaw behavior in the park?

Here’s the article:

Wow. This is super interesting. Such a great find!!

Because you said it was super interesting - Can someone give a 10% synopsis on this article - EU rules - I can't read it....

TIA!

Second, did anyone know the wildlife biologist waited a month to report? That's odd and not smart. No wonder no one took him seriously. So much potential evidence gone too. What can they do a month later?

The biologist and his girlfriend explained the timing here: Campground closed as investigation continues

“The hospital didn’t think it was a gunshot at first. They thought it was an animal bite. It was maybe a couple of weeks later but pellets started actually coming out of the wound,” Amoroso said. “I ended up using tweezers to remove a couple from his arm. He had surgery a few months later because an X-ray showed there were a few left in his arm.”

Amoroso said Roger’s wound was superficial, but that he sleeps with his arm above his head and if he hadn’t been in that position he may well have been shot in the face. The couple met with park rangers once they realized what had happened. The rangers told them that six days after Rogers was shot, someone reported the spare wheel of their camper had been hit with bird shot.

It wasn't that he wasn't 'smart' or that he was 'odd'. It's that he didn't know he'd been shot. When he did know, he reported it.

I do wonder about the absence of noise. He woke up due to the pain in his arm, not because of the sound of gunfire.

Here’s the article:

The individual seems to be a non violent attention seeker with a "Walter Mitty" type spin.

If a similar individual was the shooter, I think they would also be offer to assist the police as a "rugged survival expert / man hunter- ladies take note" type guy so as to receive visible attention.
FYI, the CA Parks Department offers seasonal employment (just in case the shooter might be an employee):
I like the idea of a seasonal employee. If the shooter is showing intimate knowledge of the park, maybe narrow it further to a seasonal employee whose job is say, trail maintenance. This would give him a lot of knowledge about moving around security gates, using trails to avoid road, not getting lost etc.

As a side note, if the shooter is showing intimate knowledge of the park, USGS survey maps are detailed topographic maps of every part of the U.S. urban and rural. The rural ones show canyons, trails, mountains, steepness of slope, creeks etc etc.

Hikers, hunters, guides, construction companies and natural resource companies tend to order the rural ones. Though not secrets, USGS maps are not widely known or sold (just a few on line companies and a few hiking / outdoor stores). I wonder who has bought the USGS map(s) for the park?

Last edited:
Malibu Times has all of these same dates in their list, except they don't mention anything on 6/25/18.

LASD Homicide Bureau Looking Into Seven Incidents Prior to Malibu Creek State Park Shooting

JMO
I think the confusing extra 6/25 date is because the "Monday" car shooting (i think Tesla) actually happened on 6/18 (monday before the tent shooting) but the reporting about it came out after the tent shooting so the one news article assumed it was the Monday after (25th) the tent shooting when in reality it was the Monday before.

I made the same mistake early on when I saw the article about the car shooting and thought it had to have been after the tent shooting when I am pretty sure now it was the Monday before.

I dont think there were two different shootings. Just two articles that had the different Mondays (18th VS 25th).

Thats my take on it anyway. :)

Last edited:
JMO
I think the confusing extra 6/25 date is because the "Monday" car shooting (i think Tesla) actually happened on 6/18 (monday before the tent shooting) but the reporting about it came out after the tent shooting so the one news article assumed it was the Monday after (25th) the tent shooting when in reality it was the Monday before.

I made the same mistake early on when I saw the article about the car shooting and thought it had to have been after the tent shooting when I am pretty sure now it was the Monday before.

I dont think there were two different shootings. Just two articles that had the different Mondays (18th VS 25th).

Thats my take on it anyway. :)
I agree.

The Local Malibu is reporting a fire near the Hindu Temple. Possibly due to fireworks thrown from a car.

Interesting...makes me wonder whether someone wants to make sure any evidence is destroyed (More bullet casings or fingerprints etc.). Would someone have view of the campsite from that spot on Las Virgenes (opposite side of the Hindu Temple)? Could the shots have come from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member