CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bringing forth these little tidbits which I bolded in red and underlined. Thoughts?

Tristan Beaudette, a scientist who worked in pharmaceuticals, was camping at the state park in Calabasas just off Las Virgenes Road on Friday when he was fatally shot before dawn while asleep with his 4- and 2-year-old daughters.

Mystery at Malibu Creek park: Who killed father at campground, and is it connected to other shootings?

The park, just 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles, was unusually empty at the time of Beaudette’s camping trip, CNN reported.

At 4:45am, authorities responded to a call about shots fired in the park.

California scientist's murder while camping in state park possibly connected to multiple shootings

If the part saying TB was shot while asleep is accurate, then he wasn't standing up, and also unlikely to be backlit well enough for a shooter to target him directly *if* the shooter was outside the tent.

Every once in awhile someone will stick out his or her chin and loftily proclaim, "I don't believe in coincidences."

But this is a big world, one in which, metaphorically (and sometimes literally) people are always firing guns into the darkness and, once in awhile, irrevocably hitting something.

So I'm still on the random side of things viz a viz the unfortunate Mr. Beaudette.

(How surprised I'd be if I were wrong: startled, possibly, but not really surprised. Yet.)

If the part saying TB was shot while asleep is accurate, then he wasn't standing up, and also unlikely to be backlit well enough for a shooter to target him directly *if* the shooter was outside the tent.

Assuming that they meant while he was in the physical act of sleeping and not just using it as a generic term for after he went to bed for the night. Like I'd say, "I'm sleeping in the upstairs bedroom," even though I'm not asleep at the moment and don't intend to spend the entire time sleeping.

I've been pondering whether professional jealousy might be the motive, but without more detailed knowledge of his work and professional situation, it's hard to see what it could be. Really he seems to be quite an ordinary nice guy. Wish I had known him.
Even without detailed knowledge of his current work and status, professional jealousy could still very well be a possibility. People hold work place grudges all the time. It could be a work related resentment as superficial as any. Jealousy, a promotion snatched...it doesn’t necessarily have to be something specific to his field. That said, my gut is going with something domestic OR completely other end of the spectrum - related to the other shootings.

I don't know anything about postings at the park itself, but LASD have been asking for public help and do have posts on social media and Nixle asking for tips. *Information Wanted* #LASD Homicide Shooting Death Investigation, 1900 blk of Las Virgenes Rd, ... from LASD - Los Angeles County Sheriffs Dept Information Bureau (SIB) : Nixle

Yeah but we're talking about the other shootings, which may or may not be related. They haven't given warnings about those or sought info. Very strange, doesn't everyone think? Whether connected or not it is insanely dangerous to take potshots at people and cars. One guy was actually struck. Another couple the slug came inches from hitting them.

This isn't dangerous? This isn't a danger to the public? Like someone said above, they give warnings everywhere about personal belongings being stolen. But not about someone actually shooting at vehicles and people?

I don't get this. Unless they are trying not to alarm the public for some reason.

A friend was out at the park entrance today and said she didn't see any postings.

There's also a notice up on the MCSP website:

California State Parks issues statement on fatal shooting at Malibu Creek State Park

Cell service is (very) spotty in the area so it would make sense to advise visitors as they drive in to the park.

In TB's case, he should have been able to make an informed choice about camping with small children in an area where gunshots (although rare) had been reported and even caused injury.

To me, 7 shootings in two years isn't that rare. Not rare enough that I would camp there at least!

My guess is that "the State" stands to lose significant revenue if they close the whole park or scare too many people away during a holiday week. And they've probably never given the Park Rangers the personnel they need to more thoroughly patrol because that costs $ too. Ugh!

It's starting to make me feel like Jaws.

Every once in awhile someone will stick out his or her chin and loftily proclaim, "I don't believe in coincidences."

But this is a big world, one in which, metaphorically (and sometimes literally) people are always firing guns into the darkness and, once in awhile, irrevocably hitting something.

So I'm still on the random side of things viz a viz the unfortunate Mr. Beaudette.

(How surprised I'd be if I were wrong: startled, possibly, but not really surprised. Yet.)

It wasn’t loftily said...it was said with much humanity, life lived, history, sadness, and loved ones lost.

I can't figure out this quoting system so I will just create a new post...

Having no notice at the entrance is weird. The day areas are still open though. It could be 1) they don't want to frighten people or encourage false leads, 2) they already know that this shooter only acts between the hours or 3am and 6am (which seems to be the case).

The overnight area remains closed indefinitely according to the park's site.

Even without detailed knowledge of his current work and status, professional jealousy could still very well be a possibility. People hold work place grudges all the time. It could be a work related resentment as superficial as any. Jealousy, a promotion snatched...it doesn’t necessarily have to be something specific to his field. That said, my gut is going with something domestic OR completely other end of the spectrum - related to the other shootings.

Exactly. I meant that it was hard to speculate more precisely about who might have been jealous, or why. But it does seem like a possibility.

Yeah but we're talking about the other shootings, which may or may not be related. They haven't given warnings about those or sought info. Very strange, doesn't everyone think? Whether connected or not it is insanely dangerous to take potshots at people and cars. One guy was actually struck. Another couple the slug came inches from hitting them.

This isn't dangerous? This isn't a danger to the public? Like someone said above, they give warnings everywhere about personal belongings being stolen. But not about someone actually shooting at vehicles and people?

I don't get this. Unless they are trying not to alarm the public for some reason.
The Times reported earlier this week that at least five other shootings have occurred in the area in the last two years, outraging some neighbors who complained they had not been notified of the attacks by the Sheriff’s Department.

7 Shootings Uncovered at Malibu Park Before Father Was Killed While Camping, But None Are Linked to Death

It wasn’t loftily said...it was said with much humanity, life lived, history, sadness, and loved ones lost.
I was speaking in general and not directing it toward anyone - should have made it clear.

I, too, have been that person doing the lofty proclaiming about this subject!

Well-said: "....with much humanity, life lived, history, sadness, and loved ones lost."

The no-signs-posted at campground, no warnings going out to the public, etc... reminds me of the Tim Watkins case out of Colorado. Is it bec these things are happening in parks/public recreation areas that they are being handled so oddly? NO warnings posted after an event like this??... WTH??!!
"The shooting
<snipped>
The Malibu Creek State Park Campground in the 1900 block of Las Virgenes Road was closed for the week while detectives conducted their investigation.
<snipped>

Other gunfire
<snipped>
Hoffman said it’s not uncommon to hear gunfire in the mountain areas.
“Rural areas get gunshots. Some people from the city know that they can’t shoot in the city, go, ‘Oh, this doesn’t look like city,’ and they stop on a wide turnout, and shoot or they hike down the trail and shoot,” Hoffman said.
“It’s usually what we call ‘plinkers.’ They’re not really hunting, they’re not trying to kill anything,” he said.
<snipped>
Malibu Creek killing a mystery | Thousand Oaks Acorn
----------------------
I agree there should be warning signs of recent shootings (at least this year's) posted. But I think they are treating the random shootings as 'plinkers', whatever that means.

<modsnipped to comply with 10% copyright rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Scientist goes camping with a 2 year old and a 4 year old so wife can study and ends up shot, twice, while asleep in the tent with his babies and no one heard a thing. Sounds like a hit to me, but maybe it was someone firing into the sky and that person could have been a mile away. Falling bullets?

I agree. That’s why it’s an important piece of information. Was he shot from up close or far away? If he was shot from up close then I believe it was a hit or he was targeted. If he was shot from far away then I think this was random and is probably linked to the other shootings.

What bothers me is that in both recent serial shooter cases I followed, NOCO and Tampa/Seminole, the victims were shot at close range, some from behind.

Here is some information re: the currently unsolved Northern Colorado "random shootings"; to date, the following two shootings have NOT been linked to another suspect currently in custody for another random shooting death. I am not saying these incidents are related to Tristan's shooting, j
rather bringing these forward for reference, fwiw, as it is the duty of us websleuthers to examine possibly similar crimes :)

"The series of random attacks began on April 22, 2015, when Cori Romero, 20, was shot in the neck inside her vehicle as she was driving eastbound on Harmony Road and entering the on ramp for Interstate 25 South in Fort Collins. It was shortly after 11 p.m. Romero was treated for injuries at the Medical Center of the Rockies and underwent surgery. The now 21-year-old survived her injuries.

A second random attack happened nearly one month later, on May 18, around 10:15 p.m. John Jacoby, 47, was riding his bike on Weld County Road 15 north of Windsor when he was shot twice and died at the scene. Jacoby was well-known to people in Windsor, where he lived and worked, and frequented community events. Investigators say both Romero and Jacoby were shot by an unknown assailant. Their shootings are linked by forensic evidence, though investigators are not specifying what that evidence is."

( Source link: New Video Shows Suspect Vehicles In Unsolved Random Shootings
Random Shooting Victim's Sister Satisfied With Task Force's Effort
April 26, 2016)

(Eta: I see the NOCO Task Force has just posted 2 updates on YouTube re: the shootings of CR and JJ---will there be any new information (I doubt it, like I said be prepared to maybe be here a while, jmo. These things take a lot of time sometimes):
CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #4 )

Last edited:
"The shooting
Lt. Rodney Moore of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office said deputies from the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station were called to Malibu Creek State Park last Friday morning after receiving calls about at least one gunshot being heard inside the park.
When deputies arrived on the scene they found the two girls and Beaudette, with a gunshot wound, inside the tent.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Malibu Creek State Park Campground in the 1900 block of Las Virgenes Road was closed for the week while detectives conducted their investigation.
Anthony Hoffman, a state park superintendent, said the hiking trails remained open but the investigation required the campground to remain closed.

Other gunfire
In the wake of the shooting, several people reported via social media that in recent years they, too, have heard gunshots while camping in the park.
Two said they themselves were shot at and that the perpetrator was never caught.
Hoffman said it’s not uncommon to hear gunfire in the mountain areas.
“Rural areas get gunshots. Some people from the city know that they can’t shoot in the city, go, ‘Oh, this doesn’t look like city,’ and they stop on a wide turnout, and shoot or they hike down the trail and shoot,” Hoffman said.
“It’s usually what we call ‘plinkers.’ They’re not really hunting, they’re not trying to kill anything,” he said.
“It’s not uncommon for us to get reports of gunshots that usually end up being plinkers, and even most of the time we show up we don’t find them. Maybe we find a few broken bottles. It’s not uncommon.”
In a statement released June 25, sheriff’s deputies said they are aware of reports of other gunfire near Malibu Creek State Park but there’s no evidence connecting those incidents to the Beaudette shooting.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the sheriff’s homicide bureau at (323) 890-5500.
Malibu Creek State Park attracts tens of thousands of visitors a year, many drawn to its 15 miles of hiking trails.
It’s best known as the location where the TV series “M.A.S.H.” was filmed."
Malibu Creek killing a mystery | Thousand Oaks Acorn
----------------------
I agree there should be warning signs of recent shootings (at least this year's) posted. But I think they are treating the random shootings as 'plinkers', whatever that means.

This explains the preliminary autopsy with one wound being listed as cause of death. One gun shot was heard and not multiple shots.

But I think they are treating the random shootings as 'plinkers', whatever that means.

'Plinking' is when you go out and shoot at beer cans and bottles and the like. IME in California, this was always with pellet/air guns.

Plinking is usually repetitive pellet shots, not loud, certainly wouldn't wake you up from a distance. In other words, nothing like a shotgun firing a slug that can penetrate a vehicle. Or buck/birdshot that sprays a rough camper.

Plinking is not firing randomly at human targets or into vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat