CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooops. Accidentally posted in wrong spot.

Carry on! :rolleyes::oops:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm the furthest thing from a gun nut but were I at a crowded campground with two young daughters....I indeed might be armed to protect.

This is a general observation that may not pertain to you, but I'll say it anyway!

For people who don't go camping, car campgrounds can seem potentially dangerous places. They aren't, especially those in State Parks and National Parks. These are highly developed, busy, and well-patrolled.

I haven't stayed at southeast campgrounds, so they might be different, but I have stayed some years 100 nights camping! In all that time, I've only had one person bother my stuff. Nothing was taken even then. I was out sightseeing at the time and not in the camp spot. The mischief-maker was a young teenager. The local police were called by another camper, and the teenager's entire family was expelled from the campground. The police officer waited in his vehicle supervising while the entire family (maybe 8 in all) packed up. He followed them out of the park.

There is way more risk from folks building huge campfires, ripping off tree branches, writing grafitti, making a lot of noise, snoring, black flies, importing alien firewood, feeding wildlife..... than getting personally bothered by other campers.

That's my experience.

Ok, bird shot doesn't travel that far. Imo this would have been within 20 feet.
A wildlife biologist hiking the Backbone Trail and sleeping overnight in a hammock in Tapia Park, just south of Malibu Creek State Park, was hit by bird shot from a shotgun on Nov. 3, 2016.

James Rogers told The Times that he needed surgery to remove the many pellets that struck him.

“I heard a loud bang and then felt a burning sensation in my arm and fell to the ground,” he said. “Before I could look at my wound I did a quick check of the perimeter and I saw nothing.”

Malibu campground where father fatally shot is closed down as safety precaution
At night, he was very likely invisible. It's pitch black if you don't have a light. And if a tree obscured a little headlamp, no way you'd know someone was there.

Yes, HE was inside his tent, but it's not clear that the shooter was inside the tent. The poster said that the was shot 'FROM inside the tent'. Big difference. I'm not sure we know which it is and I don't want us to be presuming.

Okay, I finally see what you and a couple of others are complaining about. I thought that quote from the LEO was pretty clear that they thought everybody--father, daughters, shooter--were inside the tent. But you're right, it doesn't really quite say that.

Has anyone heard from the b.i.l?

Plus I can't sleep throughout the night with my 2 kids laying on the same queen size matress. The tents are not that big nor comfortable looking neither.

I probably would have to be plastered drunk just to sleep throughout the night for 4 hours.

I don't see how some of ya can do it with them baby tents near strangers. I salute ya. But Im reserving a room at the Holiday Inn down the road or something. Lol

Good video of the area and the tent at the below link
Man Fatally Shot in Malibu Creek State Park Identified
That's an REI tent. Maybe a 6 person. You can pretty much stand up in it (maybe you'd have to bend your head a little if you're tall). Someone could pretty much have walked right through the door and taken a shot. The inhabitants would likely have heard the zipper opening.

I hope they got fingerprints and/or DNA off that zipper.

An owner of a tent like that would generally not be an inexperienced camper. (It takes at least a few nights of a cheap tent to figure out you need a good one!). The tent is pitched taut: great job. (Note: someone coulda loaned it to him, though)

That is an older model of a current tent: you can tell because REI used to have green tent colors with orange trim. The current tent is here: REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

M
So, are you saying someone just happened to shoot into the pitch black, for no good reason, and hit this man purely by accident?
My response referred to the story about the wildlife biologist being shot with buckshot while sleeping in a hammock.

Whoever had that buckshot shotgun could have been startled by a noise and thought it was a bear. People get very jittery in the dark.

Yes, it's absolutely pitch black out there. I once almost walked into the outside wall of a shelter (coyotes howling all around me), because it was so pitch black, I couldn't see it.

Another time, I got caught in the woods after dark. Even with my headlamp I couldn't see the rocks on the trail or where the trail took a turn. I kept tripping and thought I might lose my way by accident. I was only a mile from the trailhead but had to bivouac for the night (brrrrr).

Another time, I pitched my tent in the dark and woke up in the morning to find I'd pitched it on top of a yellow/copper heap of mine tailings. Absolutely, categorically pitch black.

We're not used to being out in the dark like that, so it's a surprise when it happens. You can go outside for a pee in the night and lose track of where your tent is.....

That's an REI tent. Maybe a 6 person. You can pretty much stand up in it (maybe you'd have to bend your head a little if you're tall). Someone could pretty much have walked right through the door and taken a shot. The inhabitants would likely have heard the zipper opening.

I hope they got fingerprints and/or DNA off that zipper.

An owner of a tent like that would generally not be an inexperienced camper. (It takes at least a few nights of a cheap tent to figure out you need a good one!). The tent is pitched taut: great job. (Note: someone coulda loaned it to him, though)

That is an older model of a current tent: you can tell because REI used to have green tent colors with orange trim. The current tent is here: REI Co-op Kingdom 6 Tent

Yeah, I didn't expect a tent that large.

But it fits. The zipper sound, he sits up, the shot(s) get him, the killer pulls the zipper down and backs away and is gone before anybody even knows what happened.

That does explain why they don't think the random gunshots are related...
Well they said they have no evidence that they’re related but they are going to investigate to see if they can find any links. Having a serial killer in the area is bad publicity for LE. They don’t want to say it’s related unless they’re absolutely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez