CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a clip from Inside Edition on YouTube a while back (https://youtu.be/qgau4LXx19o) where they interviewed a single mom who was paying $1000 a month to live in someone's garage in Silicon Valley. She said she simply couldn't afford anything else since rents in the area have reached astronomical rates. I have a feeling the tenants of the warehouse were in a similar predicament.

From the Broadway smash "Hamilton"

The song takes place in the second act as the characters Alexander and his wife Eliza grieve over their son's death........

Hamilton-Musical-2016.jpg

"It's Quiet Uptown"

There are moments that the words don't reach
There is suffering too terrible to name
You hold your child as tight as you can
Then push away the unimaginable
The moments when you're in so deep
Feels easier to just swim down
And so they move uptown
And learn to live with the unimaginable

I spend hours in the garden
I walk alone to the store
And it's quiet uptown
I never liked the quiet before
I take the children to church on Sunday
A sign of the cross at the door
And I pray
That never used to happen before

(If you see him
in the street, walking by himself
Talking to himself, have pity)
You would like it uptown, it's quiet uptown
(He is working through the unimaginable
His
hairhasgonegrey, he passes every day
They say he walks the length of the city)
You knock me out, I fall apart
(Can you imagine?)

Look at where we are
Look at where we started
I know I don't deserve you
But hear me out, that would be enough

If I could spare his life
If I could trade his life for mine
He'd be standing here right now
And you would smile, and that would be enough
I don't pretend to know the challenges we're facing
I know there's no replacing what we've lost
And you need time
But I'm not afraid, I know who I married
Just let me stay here by your side
And that would be enough

(If you see him
in the street, walking by her side
Talking by her side, have pity)
Do you like it uptown? It's quiet uptown
(He is trying to do the unimaginable
See them walking in the park, long after dark)
Taking in the sights of the city
Look around, look around, look around
(They are trying to do the unimaginable)

There are moments that the words don't reach
There's a grace too powerful to name
We push away what we can never understand
We push away the unimaginable
They are standing in the garden
Standing there side by side
She takes his hand
It's quiet uptown

Forgiveness, can you imagine?
Forgiveness, can you imagine?

(If you see him
in the street, walking by her side
Talking by her side, have pity)
Look around, look around
They are going through the unimaginable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkk8VEJasN8

Jennifer:

Jennifer Mendiola's parents believe she is among those killed in Oakland's deadly "Ghost Ship" fire, but are still waiting on a positive identification of her remains. KCRA's Tom Miller reports

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/oakland-warehouse-fire-grieving-parents-wait-for-call-827012163510

Gosh there is confirmation that confirmation is coming- tragic
Saddest thing I've ever seen. No parents should ever have to do this interview. I felt dirty watching it.
I'm sorry gitana, I'm sorry for your pain and the deep deep pain of Jennifer's patents and her husband.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't know what kind of contract he had with the owner, but aren't structural repairs of a building the responsibility of the owner? What was Derick Ion repairing? Furniture? Jerry-rigged contraptions that he had added around there?

bbm
He was not the owner. He was renting the place, living there, and allowing people to rent spaces in his home. I let a friend live in a rented property, with me, one time b/c they had nowhere to go, if he just chipped in on some of the groceries and heat. Technically I was subletting but not to the level of Ion.

Oakland Mayor Shouted Down at Vigil for Warehouse Fire Victims

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oakland-mayor-shouted-down-vigil-warehouse-fire-victims-n692381

A vigil in honor of victims of the deadly Oakland, California, warehouse fire briefly turned into a political confrontation Monday night as saddened, angry participants shouted down the city's mayor with obscenities and boos.

Amid an emotional outpouring from people who knew the victims, some speakers urged the city to protect "nontraditional warehouse residences" and "fringe places" where some Oaklanders have sought shelter as the city's housing costs skyrocket.

Vigil participants shouted "Stop victim blaming!" and "Step down!" as Schaaf prepared to speak, leading one of the organizers to ask that she be given a respectful hearing.

[ wow...tough crowd....]
Is this not an oxymoron?
Arreguín said the fire shouldn't be used as a pretext to shut down nontraditional living spaces like old warehouses."Artists must have a safe place to live and to work," he said to loud cheers.

Is 10,000 square feet the footprint of the building or does that include the second floor?

I'm trying to get a handle on the size of the place. My husband is an artist with a wearhouse. His building footprint is about 5600 sq feet.
P.S. he has a real live design build company.

Oakland Mayor Shouted Down at Vigil for Warehouse Fire Victims

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oakland-mayor-shouted-down-vigil-warehouse-fire-victims-n692381

A vigil in honor of victims of the deadly Oakland, California, warehouse fire briefly turned into a political confrontation Monday night as saddened, angry participants shouted down the city's mayor with obscenities and boos.

Amid an emotional outpouring from people who knew the victims, some speakers urged the city to protect "nontraditional warehouse residences" and "fringe places" where some Oaklanders have sought shelter as the city's housing costs skyrocket.

Vigil participants shouted "Stop victim blaming!" and "Step down!" as Schaaf prepared to speak, leading one of the organizers to ask that she be given a respectful hearing.

[ wow...tough crowd....]

And this is exactly why it takes a long time to deal with these violations.

Even though people died in a conflagration, there are those screaming to keep such places available.

bbm
He was not the owner. He was renting the place, living there, and allowing people to rent spaces in his home. I let a friend live in a rented property, with me, one time b/c they had nowhere to go, if he just chipped in on some of the groceries and heat. Technically I was subletting but not to the level of Ion.

I know that Derick was not the owner. Rental/Leasing contracts can have all sorts of provisions and variables in them. I had relatives who lived in rental homes for years and they always got a break on their rent because he did the minor repairs -- nothing structural -- just minor stuff, but I just wondered what Derick's contract might say about repairs.

This story moves me a lot because I'm an artist but I've taken lots of "day jobs" over the years so I can have a decent lifestyle. I like heat and working plumbing and safety. I left a city I was living in before because the only type of apartment I would have been able to afford was a squalid one. I might not be as "cool" as some other artists but I'm alive and healthy. I don't want to judge people if they feel they have no other options but if you put that creativity to work maybe there are some other options. Support for the arts is an issue but no one owes it to you. The studio I was renting earlier this year closed, I could afford my rent but but not enough other people could. I was very disappointed but one way I got over my disappointment was by volunteering at a studio that helps artists with disabilities. It's a creative outlet and reminds me how lucky I am to have my second bedroom to use as a studio while others don't have that. I also have a new teaching job at a local craft store. I am currently blending part-time jobs to make a living but they are mostly creative and meaningful. Life as an artist is hard but I don't think it has to necessarily be squalid, at least not if you live in a place with reasonable costs.

Lovely story. I hope you do well. Giving back . My admiration for you !

I know that Derick was not the owner. Rental/Leasing contracts can have all sorts of provisions and variables in them. I had relatives who lived in rental homes for years and they always got a break on their rent because he did the minor repairs -- nothing structural -- just minor stuff, but I just wondered what Derick's contract might say about repairs.

I might be able to help here.

He had a lease for a warehouse space. That lease would include repairs required, for example, for storing goods, etc. Things such as electricity, bathrooms, etc - if not outlined in the original lease regarding what type of space was available - wouldn't be something he could get the landlord to suddenly do.

They'd say - you rented a warehouse, you got a warehouse.

There's no need for a warehouse to have the type of electrical and water needs that a residence has.

The 30 pages is "governmenty"
pages and pages about the same event over and over

After reading them and focusing on dates it seemed as if all involved had taken care of the roles.

The letter to the owner went out 48 hours before T-Giving (24) so lets do that rat race and mail having holdiay, then a delay in getting postal services back up to speed.

. So that takes us to Mon Nov 29 and lets say owner got it then....55 hours later ................

Exterior violations, right? Nothing interior.

This is how govt has to operate. Everything documented and then legal amount of times to respond. Always giving people time to comply id they are cooperating.

I am angry at those tenants who think it is perfectly acceptable to turn the outdoor space into a garbage heap. Such entitlement. Being poor does not mean you live like a pig and spread your garbage.

Although there are rich people that live like pigs as well.,

The obvious sense of entitlment comes out loud and clear.

They are off in their age of enlightment. So important. Can't be bothered with not trashing everything around them,

And this is exactly why it takes a long time to deal with these violations.

Even though people died in a conflagration, there are those screaming to keep such places available.

The concept isn't a bad one. It was just the execution that was riddled with fault. Had the tenants been more mindful of the hoarding and jerryrigging, the outcome would have been different. It could and would never pass code, but with less stuff, more lighting, alarms, extinguishers, and attention to structure and wiring, there is some measure of safety. Would there have been loss of life? Probably, but not on the same scale.

Exterior violations, right? Nothing interior.

This is how govt has to operate. Everything documented and then legal amount of times to respond. Always giving people time to comply id they are cooperating.

I am angry at those tenants who think it is perfectly acceptable to turn the outdoor space into a garbage heap. Such entitlement. Being poor does not mean you live like a pig and spread your garbage.

Although there are rich people that live like pigs as well.,

The obvious sense of entitlment comes out loud and clear.

They are off in their age of enlightment. So important. Can't be bothered with not trashing everything around them,

Right - this is what the government could do. They couldn't go inside with premises without a warrant.

Keep in mind- the government's recourse is against the Owner. The Owner is the only one with recourse to the resident. If she wanted the resident out, she could file for eviction and get a writ from the court. That was never done.

It's like people who rent out homes that are within an HOA. If the tenant doesn't mow the lawn, the HOA is going after the owner of the home not the person they leased it to.

thank you for being present and supporting her.

a friend of mine knew the father of one of the transgendered confirmed victims. she says she babysat this person as a youngster :*(

Okay guys, I wasn't really able to post from there on my phone. I'm back home now, and Gitana appears to be headed home for the time being. Still no ID yet on her SIL, but the waiting was unbearable. I met her and picked her up at her hotel, we drove by the building- it looks way different to see it in person. Then we went to the Sherriffs Center. They have been absolutely wonderful to the victims- tons of food, blankets, chaplains, mental health counselors. Then Mayor Schaaf and the sherriffs gave a briefing. The victims families get the news first. I want to emphasize that there are still about 90 names on the missing lists on the wall- and they are updated often, but some are duplicates- like her SIL was also listed by her alias.
I missed the press conference set for 3:00 on my way home, but hopefully they released these facts: 117 people have been located safe- that doesn't mean they were actually at the party, but that people have reported they might have been. 90% of the building has been cleared. They had to stop work again because of the danger of the wall collapse. And the mayor has been completely transparent about the housing complaint violations- she ordered release of all of them on the property (30 pages worth). Also the A.C.S.O is being sensitive to trans-gendered victims. They can list whatever gender they prefer on their certificates, even if it wasn't the sex of their birth.
Gitana's brother and mother met us there and they are wonderful, sensitive people. My heart goes out to them. They were taking Gitana to the airport- she wanted to fly home this evening, and they may join her tomorrow. Still no word on Jennifer, but tomorrow may bring more definitive news. And even if it's not being said, they are treating the warehouse as a crime scene.

yep. anything on international is shady. fruitvale is where the BART officer shot Oscar Grant. lots of gangs.

I would definitely not want to be in this area of Oakland at night. It's in a heavily gang area. A block from Bart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay