CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@joeconejo, thank you for your post. As you can see, there are numerous total strangers posting on these threads who very much want to see Matthew return to his loved ones.

You might consider becoming a verified insider if you'll be taking questions from Websleuthers. That process is explained here.

I hope the family has been able to get LAPD to talk to Matthew's recent associates. I know this can be difficult due to various jurisdictions and the sprawling nature of SoCal.

Thank you, I will begin the process to become verified. Recent associates have been interviewed and are being considered as witnesses at this point..

Thank you for joining us, joeconejo, and I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through.

I have one question:

“Update 15” on Matthew’s page, in part, reads:

“Please check your security footage on 8/10/18 during 11:30 am - 4 pm for anything suspicious.”

May I ask where the 4 pm came from?

According to the document Matthew’s aunt put together and the screenshot that was posted on The Local Malibu, the last transmission from his phone was around 11:50 am (or 11:53 am to be exact) on Friday. So perhaps that’s where the 11:30 am came from.

Is it suspected something happened between the 11:50 am text and 4 pm specifically?

If you cannot answer, I completely understand.

Nothing specific between those hours- we requested area residents check their security cam footage during those times to see if maybe he went walking down any of the 3 roads up to the overlook.

Sorry, somehow copied your post in my reply- here is the answer to your question-

Nothing specific between those hours- we requested area residents check their security cam footage during those times to see if maybe he went walking down any of the 3 roads up to the overlook.

Sorry, somehow copied your post in my reply- here is the answer to your question-

No worries!

The Local also reported:

“On Saturday Aug 11th, Lost Hills/Malibu Search and Rescue used K-9 Search and Cadaver dogs, first communicating they lost the scent at the paved road at Stunt Rd. and Schueren Rd, then communicated to family a second time that they lost the scent at 100 yards.“ (BBM)
Disturbing Details Emerge in the Disappearance of Matthew Weaver Jr. - The Local Malibu

I find the above very confusing. Could you please share what really happened?

I believe this was by The Local, too, but it was reported earlier the cadaver dogs were first deployed the Monday following Mattgew’s disappearance. Is this correct? And how many times have they been used since?

No worries!

The Local also reported:

“On Saturday Aug 11th, Lost Hills/Malibu Search and Rescue used K-9 Search and Cadaver dogs, first communicating they lost the scent at the paved road at Stunt Rd. and Schueren Rd, then communicated to family a second time that they lost the scent at 100 yards.“ (BBM)
Disturbing Details Emerge in the Disappearance of Matthew Weaver Jr. - The Local Malibu

I find the above very confusing. Could you please share what really happened?

I believe this was by The Local, too, but it was reported earlier the cadaver dogs were first deployed the Monday following Mattgew’s disappearance. Is this correct? And how many times have they been used since?

The search and rescue dogs (Aug 11th) lost the scent about 100 yards from the car heading back toward the road. Cadaver dogs have been out twice to my knowledge. The first time was a few days after his disappearance, it might have been Monday- I'm not exactly sure but that is close. The second time was Sep. 22nd for a brief time to look at a specific area that was suspicious. Nothing found.

joeconejo, has it been confirmed that Matthew's car was not seen leaving the area at all during that day or evening?

I'm assuming if the vehicle was on Mulholland or Topanga Canyon or Old Topanga for any stretch of distance, it would have been picked up by a camera somewhere enroute.

HI- I am Matthews Uncle and would like to help address some of your questions to help clear thing up. Feel free to ask me anything, your help is appreciated.

First- The Valley at the trail referred to in the news article is a snapchat picture of the valley / mountains that was taken from Stunt & Saddle Peak rd., near the entrance of the trail that leads back to Rosas Overlook. Basically the parking lot at the intersection looking out toward the mountains / valley toward the north.

Matthew did frequent that area, but not to hike. He is not a hiker and had never spoke of hiking any trails.

Since the circumstances of his disappearance are so odd, the family has suspicions of foul play. Some of the people he was recently associating with have helped foster that belief.
Law enforcement is still handling this as a MP case.

It is way out of character for Matthew to just disappear. This is also the primary reason we tried focusing search efforts at the hillside , roads, and trails around where the car was found. Basically rule out the possibility he's out in the bush somewhere and move to the next theory- which includes foul play and different search parameters.

The information we have received from the police has changed over time, the case originally being handled by CHP and LA COunty Sheriff. Now turned over to LAPD M.P. division. Our last communication with them indicated they found the car unlocked with the trunk open, no signs of forced entry or vandalism. The x's on the car were put there by the SAR team to indicate the vehicle was searched.

Thank you so much. I am truly sorry that your loved one is missing. I apologize if anything ive stated on here has come off offensive in any way shape or form. I can assure you that we want nothing more than for Matthew's disappearance to be resolved. Im really glad you have come on here and have offered to answer all our questions.
Thank you so much for the information you have so kindly cleared up for us already. I do have alot of questions for you and hope i am not bombarding you.
May i ask you if Matthew had a history of depression or if he had recently been displaying such?
I got the impression that he was struggling emotionally because of the content exchanged between he and his girl friend that morning. I read a somewhere that this friend believed he was not in a good emotional state when she had left him that morning. Is this the case?
I understand that he had some roommates. Has this avenue been looked into at all?
I have more questions but im not going to slam you with everything all at once. I really appreciate your input as there has been much confusion with the various articles published by the media.

joeconejo, has it been confirmed that Matthew's car was not seen leaving the area at all during that day or evening?

I'm assuming if the vehicle was on Mulholland or Topanga Canyon or Old Topanga for any stretch of distance, it would have been picked up by a camera somewhere enroute.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. After the vehicle was driven out to Rosa's it remained there until recovered by P.D. , so it was not seen leaving the area.

Thank you so much. I am truly sorry that your loved one is missing. I apologize if anything ive stated on here has come off offensive in any way shape or form. I can assure you that we want nothing more than for Matthew's disappearance to be resolved. Im really glad you have come on here and have offered to answer all our questions.
Thank you so much for the information you have so kindly cleared up for us already. I do have alot of questions for you and hope i am not bombarding you.
May i ask you if Matthew had a history of depression or if he had recently been displaying such?
I got the impression that he was struggling emotionally because of the content exchanged between he and his girl friend that morning. I read a somewhere that this friend believed he was not in a good emotional state when she had left him that morning. Is this the case?
I understand that he had some roommates. Has this avenue been looked into at all?
I have more questions but im not going to slam you with everything all at once. I really appreciate your input as there has been much confusion with the various articles published by the media.

Thank you and no, I'm not offended. I just stumbled on this thread and felt like clearing things up.
I'm sorry but I don't feel at liberty or qualified to discuss Matthew's possible mental state. I will answer to any facts we have though.
Not sure where you read of a friends belief of his mental state- I must have missed that . Regardless, in the interest of clearing things up I can only take that as an individual opinion and not fact. If you could direct me to that discussion I would appreciate it.
Yes, he had roommates and that situation has been looked at.
Ask away, I can assure you I'm not exactly thrilled with the reporting, but we appreciate any coverage we can get.

HI- I am Matthews Uncle and would like to help address some of your questions to help clear thing up. Feel free to ask me anything, your help is appreciated.

First- The Valley at the trail referred to in the news article is a snapchat picture of the valley / mountains that was taken from Stunt & Saddle Peak rd., near the entrance of the trail that leads back to Rosas Overlook. Basically the parking lot at the intersection looking out toward the mountains / valley toward the north.

Matthew did frequent that area, but not to hike. He is not a hiker and had never spoke of hiking any trails.

Since the circumstances of his disappearance are so odd, the family has suspicions of foul play. Some of the people he was recently associating with have helped foster that belief.
Law enforcement is still handling this as a MP case.

It is way out of character for Matthew to just disappear. This is also the primary reason we tried focusing search efforts at the hillside , roads, and trails around where the car was found. Basically rule out the possibility he's out in the bush somewhere and move to the next theory- which includes foul play and different search parameters.

The information we have received from the police has changed over time, the case originally being handled by CHP and LA COunty Sheriff. Now turned over to LAPD M.P. division. Our last communication with them indicated they found the car unlocked with the trunk open, no signs of forced entry or vandalism. The x's on the car were put there by the SAR team to indicate the vehicle was searched.
Welcome and we're glad you are here. There has unfortunately, been lots of conflicting information.

Was anything missing from the trunk or look like it had been disturbed?
IE: the tire jack, the spare tire

Also, was the area over the cliff searched where the dogs lost his scent?
(100 yards from the car?)

He
Isnt that strange? Now it is said he was not familiar with this hiking area. That totally goes against the fact that he was believed to frequent this area in other media accounts. Does anyone truly have their facts straight? So much misleading information.
frequented the area driving around but not hiking,

Welcome and we're glad you are here. There has unfortunately, been lots of conflicting information.

Was anything missing from the trunk or look like it had been disturbed?
IE: the tire jack, the spare tire

Also, was the area over the cliff searched where the dogs lost his scent?
(100 yards from the car?)

We cannot tell if anything was missing from the trunk or not, it was messy but nobody really knows what was in there to begin with. I'm not sure if the spare tire and jack specifically was there or not- I can find out for you if that matters, but I still couldn't tell you with ant certainty it was there beforehand.

Yes, a large area of the cliff side was searched with helicopter, multiple drones, and by individuals with rope down the side. The area is vast and extremely dense. In order to cover all ground it would take hundreds of people with mountaineering skills, gear, and lots of time.

So is it it thought that he got his car stuck at Rosas Overlook then went hiking?

Did his Snapchat have a caption or words or was it just a picture?

His car got stuck and that's all we know for sure. It was his last known location so that's why the search is focused around the area, which is all hiking - so in a roundabout way, the answer to your question is yes.

I will need to ask his immediate family and detectives if it's o.k. to comment regarding his social media. I'll get back to you on that.

We cannot tell if anything was missing from the trunk or not, it was messy but nobody really knows what was in there to begin with. I'm not sure if the spare tire and jack specifically was there or not- I can find out for you if that matters, but I still couldn't tell you with ant certainty it was there beforehand.

Yes, a large area of the cliff side was searched with helicopter, multiple drones, and by individuals with rope down the side. The area is vast and extremely dense. In order to cover all ground it would take hundreds of people with mountaineering skills, gear, and lots of time.

Would he have been able to get his car going again or had it quit working?

If the car was still drivable could he have driven it away from the side of the cliff (where the rear wheel was hanging off it) or did it appear to be impossible?

Do you think he was trying to back up when the rear tire went over the edge?

Sorry for what seems to be silly questions but I'm trying to visualize
what he was trying to do at the time.

Thank you for joining us @joeconejo! If the car was seen driving up the trail to Rosa's Overlook at 7:15am, was it there all day? Did any hikers report a random car up on the hiking trail? It seems like that's something that would stick out.

Has LE asked anyone who hiked that trail on the 10th to come forward? Someone must have seen something.

What is Valley at the trail? Is it a different location then rosas overlook? I’m so confused now he was in a different location in the Snapchat.
upload_2018-9-29_23-25-23.png

H'okay - I guess people are still catching up. Here's a map view from Google. Three streets meet at the "Lois Ewen Overlook". There's a small parking area here. If you face north (top of map like usual) you'll see the San Fernando Valley up and a little to your left. If you turn around and face south you see the ocean and Santa Monica.

The "Topanga Tower Motorway" peels off from the paved Lois Ewen Overlook and you must enter it through a gate. The Topana Tower Motorway us paved for a bit but then turns into a very rough, rocky fireroad which is shown by a dotted line on the map. It ends at the "Rosas Overlook". (New name to me: I've always heard it called the Topanga Fire Lookout.) Same thing, same place but the "Topanga Tower Motorway" gets its name from the fact there used to be a fire lookout tower out there.)

So: "the valley at the trail". I think that means: "hey - here's a picture of the taken from the trail, aka Topanga Tower Motorway". Or possibly Weaver was standing some portion of the hiking trail that peels off at the base of the rise in the fire road, (motorway) that leads up to the concrete platform (Rosas Overlook). I hope that helps with orientation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214